Isaac
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson is new Tigers coach

Three year deal. Congratulated by Anstey on Twitter.

Shortlist was likely to be DMac, Anstey, Smyth and Gleeson as a late entry.

Topic #25462 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

I wonder how D-Mac feels about that? better yet i wonder how Homocide feels about that!

congrats to Gleeson.

Reply #316154 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Congrats Gleeson...

Wow - hands in resignation one week at Townsville and is Tigers coach the following weeek...

D-Mac is a bit hard done by IMO, but the writing was on the wall as word is that he was not the preferred option in any case prior to Gleeson's availability.

Reply #316156 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gleeson has been signed to a 3 year deal.

Reply #316163 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I thought he was listed as quitting to be with his wife whose battling cancer?

I'm guessing the treatment is being done in Melbourne then? or was that just a false report?

Reply #316183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think treatment in Melbourne.

Reply #316189 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

believe it was more to give his wife family support with the kids and with treatment, living in melbourne will give her extended family support more than the treatment.

makes sense to me

Reply #316190 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

That was pretty quick work! When did the Tigers advertise the position? Wouldn't that have had Gleeson filling out job applications during the semi finals series?

Reply #316191 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

dj rod - any rumours of any players going with trevor ??

Reply #316203 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Just clearing up that Dawn's treatment is in Melbourne and his family is also there to look after the kids and support Dawn.

Players: I haven't heard anything yet but Gibson is signed and the only guys available that would go with him is Schensh and possibly Crawford or Cedar.

Blalock is hoping to go to Europe, Hinder Allen & Blanchfield are signed to Crocs, williamson may go to GC.

Reply #316206 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #316208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

smart move by gleeson since he probably wouldve gotten the chop at townsville in the next year or two if the team kept underachieving and bombing out in the semi-finals. still doesnt make sense to me, replacing a coach with 2 championships and 4 grand finals in 5 years with a coach with no championships and no grand finals in 5 years (i think it's 5 years). i mean is that a step up for the tigers? seems like a change was made just to get seamus' fat face in the media for a little while

Reply #316230 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

I would love to be positive...but why would the Tigers make this announcement on the same day the AFL announces a 1.3 billion dollar TV rights deal. This went from the no.1 news item to insignificant in 4 hours.

Another basketball blooper....

Reply #316238 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Westover had also finished near the bottom two years in a row. A good coach for a veteran team but without the ability to recruit such a team his time had come, even if the dismissal hadnt been handled right.

Gleeson has shown he can get teams to overperform and consistently make playoffs, I think the Tigers will be happy with that for the next couple of years.

Reply #316242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a fan I'd much rather two championships and a couple of lost grand finals followed by a re-building period as opposed to being in the finals every year but never winning anything. That's just me though.
People forget the Tigers had 4 season-ending injuries a year ago and this year had 8 new players on their roster. If your time has come after going through that then I've lost whatever respect I had for the NBL

Reply #316243 | Report this post

Who will be the assistant Coach ?

Reply #316244 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Westover's time had come because he no longer had a team that fitted his coaching style. No disrepect for what he achieved, which was phenomenal, but the decision has to be made on what a coach is getting out of his players now, not 2-5 years ago.

Reply #316251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"The days of building around your imports are over," Tragardh said. "You are only as good as your Aussie talent. All the Townsville guys tell me how sore they were after practice.

"They would whinge about how tired they were then on the weekends they would knock teams off and keep notching wins. After the season we have had we need a guy like Trevor."

Reply #316345 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

As a Melbourne fan it could have been a LOT worse. We could have hired Anstey.

Then GOD SAVE US ALL!!!

Reply #316359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point, MELHOOPS. not to be outdone, the NBL has the final game of the grand final the same night as the royal wedding. that was some good planning, should get plenty of coverage in the paper tomorrow.
Bit rich of Gleeson to say the days of building around imports are over when Townsville's most exciting/arguably most successful years of late were when they were built around homicide

Reply #316372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gleeson didn't say that, Tragardh did.

And this year they finished the regular season in second spot with Ellis and Blalock who averaged 16.7 PPG combined. They didn't make the grand final, but they beat expectations.

If Melbourne have got Gibson as is rumoured, they will have made a good start. I would take him over Homicide any day.

Reply #316376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gleeson's appointment got pretty decent coverage in both Melbourne papers today. If anything, the AFL stole its own pre-round publicity with the announcement. They'll survive though.

Reply #316380 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'If Melbourne have got Gibson as is rumoured, they will have made a good start. I would take him over Homicide any day.'

But would you pay top dollar for him? He is the most overrated player I know! Will he win you games? NO, he might help with a very deep and stong team around him.

Reply #316381 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

A

Everything has a price point. But an inflated price for Gibson would still be less than anything Homicide is on, so it is pretty academic.

Reply #316383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson helped the Dragons win didn't he?

Reply #316424 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Gibson helped the Dragons win didn't he?'

He sure did, with a very good team around him with two great imports, coached buy a super coach. He is a good player, that complements great players. So why pay him great player dollars?

I see Gibson as a good player to have on a team if you simply want to buy a championship.

Reply #316444 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Thats a weird comment A. All clubs try & buy championships!

Reply #316456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754