Phil
Years ago

Which players might Gleeson take with him?

It's a shame that he's left the Crocs a assume he'll take LS & PC with him

Topic #25491 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

PC, He'd want top dollar! So unless everyone else wants to take a hair cut how can you fit him in if they get 2 imports.

Reply #316816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blalock Luke PC

Reply #316817 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Gleeson has said that he will run with no imports if he can get the Aussie talent

Reply #316822 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Thoughts on Cedar?

Wouldn't mind getting him to the Tigers if Herbet signs elsewhere.

Reply #316848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedar is overrated. Nothing but a shooter, and he does that inconsistantly.

Reply #316850 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Which of the roster will he keep from Tigers?

Reply #316853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Cedar, Hinder, Allen and Blanchfield are contracted for another year.

If the Crocs don't sign a coach soon Gleeson won't have to steal players, they'll leave on their own accord.

Reply #316854 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Paul Woolpert!!

Reply #316858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else wonder how gleeson got e Townsville job in the first place? He got fired from the CBA in America after a year and a half with a losing record, does some consulting in Korea and then hes an NBL coach at 35? Something doesn't add up there. I'm a little old school but im always skeptical about coaches that never played at a high level

Reply #316869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would you care about that too much? He's Coach of the Year. Took a team getting under 20 PPG out of their imports to the finals. Last time I said this, someone raised PC and Schensch - raise that and you have to give him credit for recruiting Schensch and getting the most out of PC.

They finished the regular season second and were probably a better chance at tackling NZ than Cairns IMO.

Reply #316873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt this a forum where the backgrounds of our league coaches can be discussed? Coach of the year doesn't mean anything, there's a different winner every year and it's usually the coach with an average team that does a little better than expected. At 18-13 I don't think Townsville overachieved by any means. Surely lemanis was the real coach of the year this year, 22-6 regular season and a championship.
And since when does getting under 20ppg from your imports mean anything? Let's not become basketball fans that judge players by their points production

Reply #316874 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

With the talent and depth NZ 22-6 was really expected. Give the majority of NBL coaches that roster and I am sure the records would be very similar

Reply #316879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not shutting you down, just putting up the other side. You're saying you're a skeptic for a reason. I'm pointing out that he has some runs on the board. Enough to suggest he's not awful. I don't think I'd be suspicious were I a Townsville or Melbourne fan.

Lemanis was overlooked by his peers. Just wasn't rated for whatever reason. I think the COTY suggests that Gleeson's peers think the Crocs did overachieve to some extent.

The Crocs weren't carried by strong imports (that was my point). They had a good spread of players who contributed in various ways which isn't always easy without a decent coach.

Reply #316881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never said he was awful, just saying that the coach of the year award can be misleading and that I don't believe gleeson to be as good as some have suggested. Perhaps having imports that didn't have to carry the team reflects the extent of their Aussie talent. And there are a lot of crocs fans that agree my suspicions, as evidenced by some comments on the Bulletin website with some fans no longer calling him by his name

Reply #316894 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He overachieved year after year with the talent he had, and certainly overcame any suspicions people such as anon may have had about his experience before being signed by Townsville.

As for this year, five new players,no star imports, two fringe Boomers, no one who had ever made the NBL first team and he still made the playoffs in second spot. That's pretty impressive.

NZ had four guys who had proven themselves as good players internationally and two good imports who could hurt a team on the scoreboard. Perth had the best young talent in the comp along with a perenial star in Redhage and a very dangerous import. Gold Coast had a superior roster.

I think anyone would have to admit he got good results this year.

Reply #316899 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I had Townsville pegged at the start of last season as being the best of the bottom of the table teams. I saw NZ, Perth, Wollongong and Gold Coast as being the best teams in the comp. Early into the season I considered Adelaide the better team. I was proven to be wrong on both counts.

Anon you are clearly not an advocate of Gleeson's CV and have a different opinion to that of a number of Gleeson's peers in NBL coaching circles. It leads me to ask have you had a previous basketball related involvement with Gleeson that significantly influenced your opinion of his coaching attributes or have you formed your view from the experience of others?

Reply #316900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754