clarky
Years ago

Crocs announce new Head Coach

The Townsville Crocodiles have just announced on facebook that Paul Woolpert will be taking the head coaching job.

The Townsville McDonald's Crocodiles are happy to announce that Paul Woolpert has been signed as Head Coach. He is the 4th Head Coach in our 19 year history!

Looks to be a good signing by the Crocs, although I don't know much about Woolpert.

UPDATE: Official article is now up on the NBL website, can read it HERE

Topic #25526 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

He was the one expected.

Reply #317362 | Report this post

Hugh  
Years ago

Nice one Clarky,A good signing but you know not much about him..LOL

Reply #317368 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Good signing because he was an assistant there last season, knows the organisation, knows the players, understands the expectations.

As for me not knowing much about him, I have no idea what he credentials are, where he has coached previously etc. But everything I have heard since this announcement shows that many Crocs fans think this is a good selection.

Reply #317370 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

His dad coached Bill Russel at the Uni of San Francisco - legend

He has coaching the the old CBA and D-League winning championships along the way... Crocs players loved him last season and thought his arrival was a turning point in the season.

This signing will go a long way to retaining Luke Schenscher and Peter Crawford (& maybe Blalock)

Reply #317372 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

In somewhat relevant news, Gleeson has gotten rid of DMac and Warrick Giddey from the Tigers' coaching staff. Giddey will be kept in the office and running their school camps, a definite slap in the face of a club legend, and DMac will go from interim head coach to nothing, and has already quit their Big V team.
I vowed to never be a Tigers' member when Al Westover was fired and now I guarantee I'll never go to another Tigers' game.

Reply #317375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a fairweather fan right there ^^^

Reply #317380 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DJ Rod be fair and let us have Schenscher back. Your team can develop Allen instead! :P

That wasn't very nice of Gleeson to come in and remove Giddey and Dmac! That's just life in professional sports.

Reply #317381 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

@anonymous...

Being a fair weather fan would have been the first to jump on the bandwagon of the Tigers now that COTY Gleeson was signed.

A fair weather fan would have stopped supporting the Tigers after they they came second last in the previous year after back to back grand final campaigns.

Explain to me how not wanting to be a part of an organisation that shows no loyalty to club legends is classified as a fair weather supporter?

Reply #317383 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Thanks, @rangaMITCH. It was actually 4 straight grand finals, but I appreciate the other points. No loyalty left at the Tigers.

Reply #317384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@rangaMITCH

Why do teams have to be loyal? They have to do what they can to win, not be nice.

"Oh nice, the coach of the year wants to coach for us! Woops, forgot... we can't change coaches because that's unloyal, bugger"

It's stupid...

Reply #317387 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Sometimes it's not all about winning when you're a devoted fan, you'd rather support a club that has a sense of family and watching a team through shit years and good years can be more rewarding than watching a team that makes the finals every year but doesn't go anywhere. Forgive the subtle comparisons between the Tigers and Crocs over the past 5 or so years.

Reply #317389 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Have to say I really know nothing about Paul Woolpert other than he was Gleeson's assistant but seriously, good luck to the bloke. I hope for the Crocs, and for Woolpert that his 1st year as a head coach in the NBL isn't as bad as what Marty Clarke had in his 1st with the 36ers.

Reply #317391 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Yeah, I was gonna say back to back to back to back but it seemed too excessive.

Anonymous, It take your point about it being a business and things. However the thing that separated the likes of Melbourne from other NBL teams was the sense of family and loyalty. Without that, they would have just been another basketball franchise!

Reply #317392 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Poor Signing by the Crocs!
Their are a lot of good Australian coaches out there.
They will be moving down the ladder with this guy.
He is another american bull shitter
The Dl eagues and CBA are shit leagues.
This guy wont be successful in our league.
Just wait and see.
This is good for us in Adelaide.

Reply #317395 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Yeah, who is this Paul Woolpert guy? I heard somebody joke about him being crocs coach next year in a previous thread. There is quite a good pool of coaches out there at the moment so you'd like to hope they made an educated decision when picking Woolpert!!

Reply #317399 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson was Woolpert's assistant for about 3 years in the states... thats the connection and how Gleeson got him to be the assistant.

I can only go by what the players say, and they love him!

Reply #317401 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Go Trev & go Paul!!

Blokes in the know...

Reply #317403 | Report this post

Hugh  
Years ago

Gee and I thought they hired Elliot Goblet?

Reply #317412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754