Crofty
Years ago

Weigh Signs with Sixers

You heard it hear first, he signed this week.

Topic #25538 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh boy, this is an interesting one. This guy could be a very very good player, but he has never seen a shot he doesnt like, hopefully Marty gets the best out of him and helps refine his talents. Id say with him in the lineup, Jacob is gone??

Reply #317562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great young player congratulations coaches and staff we are a better team already

Reply #317564 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

really?? been confirmed??

that is super massive. love it.

mitch creek and stephen weigh is a pretty good couple of sf's. i dont see us keeping holmes regardless of any future signings.

Reply #317565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard it here first? LOL

It's already been posted dumby.

Reply #317566 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

If this turns out to be true, then I am happy with this signing.
Weigh would bring another element to this team, and given his age, would be an excellent piece to build on (along with Creek).

But until there is confirmation from a reliable source, I will continue to be skeptical...

Reply #317567 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

He wouldn't of signed this week as that would be against the rules as he was under contract till 8 hours ago.
The 3rd year of his contract with Cats was his option.
But yes he will be a 36er, didn't want to take the 3rd year option, will be getting paid good coin to go over to his old house mate Radford.

Reply #317571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a huge fan of the guy but there's a possible silver lining here, no more Brad Hill?

Reply #317572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great, the guy had talent, but really its just another Brad Hill. Great talent, no basketball brain

Reply #317574 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great signing, guy has a lot of potential

Reply #317582 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Some good news for Sixers fans if true! Weigh isn't a star yet, but the important thing is he has the potential to be one and at the very least is an upgrade over Hill.

I'm surprised to hear the comments that this means Holmes is gone though. Are you assuming Weigh will play PF? I guess its possible at times if Marty wants to go small, but really Weigh is a SF and should be played in that position. If anything, I would say that it means Hill might be gone.

Reply #317584 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

still no confirmation.

only know that he has been released by perth.

care to tell us what makes you say he has signed??

Reply #317585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If weigh played in any other league than the NBL he'd foul out in the first qtr.
He's a hack defender

Reply #317588 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Great signing with true, young, has AIS background with Clarke and helps strengthen the 36ers shooting and is fairly athletic and versatile.

Seems to me the 36ers would be looking to put something like this together

C Schenscher/Johnson
PF Ballinger/Holmes or Hill (Hill obviously wouldnt play pf, id expect Johnson to play the majority of the back up PF minutes)
SF Weigh/Creek
SG IMPORT(Dorsey)/Herbert or Ng (if we can only afford 1 import have Herbert and Ng as our SG combo)
PG IMPORT (Williams)/Bruce

Looks like a much improved line up to me!

Reply #317590 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

This is potentially a very good signing. They had to do something that mixed things up, and why not bring in a young guy who can give you a bit of everything and has won a title.

Good start.

Reply #317592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous to compare Weigh with Hill

Sure Weigh is still developing but has a lot more game than Brad Hill

Reply #317593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Schenscher/Johnson
PF Ballinger/Holmes(or Dowdell)/Johnson
SF Weigh/Creek/Hill
SG Ng/Herbert/Hill
PG IMPORT/Bruce/Daly

Reply #317595 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Clarke going for a young team maybe?

Approximate ages: Johnson 23, Weigh 24, Creek 19?

Reply #317600 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Great signing, finally we have a forward who has moves and can shoot the 3 (not since Cattalini, Brookes championship days).

IMO he has the potential to be a Boomer in future.

Reply #317622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He misses 75% of the threes he takes and can't create his own shot.

Reply #317624 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good defender, rebounder, slasher and high post player. Good mid-range jump shot but very unreliable three point shooter. Good signing if true though.

Reply #317627 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Last thing I read on the subject was Weigh asked to be released from the Wildcats. Nothing more.

You'd figure a signing like this would have been reported somewhere.

Don't suppose anyone can show actual confirmation of the signing?

Reply #317629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't announce it too quickly because they weren't meant to be talking to him until Friday. Its' been done for days.

Reply #317630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest he can't really defend laterally, but he can shoot it.

They might even play him in the 4 to stretch defenders.

Reply #317633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon people, the guy is okish, nothing amazing and def not a boomer of the future, jesus if he could make the cut, the Aus program is doomed for sure. Never seen a shot he doesnt like, good and bad that can be. IF the 6ers have signed him, will be curious to see how he goes, but definitely nothing to build around, at best could be a good compliment player. Adelaide need to sign a star player. There is no one player they have had that a fan can really get pumped up about, and sport needs its star players!

Reply #317635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, Weigh is a complimentary player nothing more.

Reply #317636 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Relax he isn't our main signing you would think. However he would be a very good addition to the team! Also hopefully it means no more Holmes

Reply #317637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear you on the Holmes thing KingJames! Id love to see his style of play leave the arena stage left ASAP!

New blood is required. Adelaide porbably wont be making room for new trophies at the end of this season, but still they do need to move some dead wood on!

Reply #317644 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Weigh is a starter at any club in this competition, that's why they are hoping to sign him.

Reply #317694 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Except NZ I would say and Cairns if they keep Dorsey.

Reply #317697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Perth last season ...

Reply #317699 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

if happens like this signing.
Has much more scoring potential than Hill or Jacob and much more variation to game than Creek .
Hope move to Sixers finally has Weigh going to the next level

Reply #317723 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

What are perth fans opinion of Weigh? I got the feeling from the handful of games that I saw of perth last season that he was underacheiving.(Not sure if that was the case and I am happy to be told otherwise).

I'm not sold on the signing but he is an upgrade on Hill so thats most definately a positive.

Reply #317758 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Sixers still need to sign a star or two (Schensch & Barlow?) and get their imports right if they are even going to be worthy of challenging for a playoff berth.

Reply #317764 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

maybe homicide or ervin or ubaka could come to 6ers but we need schenscer

Reply #317777 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

If we can pick up Ervin and Luke along with Weigh and Adam Creek and DJ then we are heading in right direction with NG and a working Aus PG then team can only move up

Reply #317786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No deal, you got the feeling did you?what are talking about?you have a feeling 5000 game night fans think he is under achieveing.at worst case he's an upgrade for the hers. Stop making trouble!!

Reply #317812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh hasnt signed with the sixers, readt yesterdays paer to see.
THE 36ers are in talks with Perth's Stephen Weigh and are hopeful Luke Schenscher is close to a decision.

Reply #317821 | Report this post

Riverland sixer  
Years ago

Anon pretty sure the person who started this post has a lil bit of inside info

Reply #317833 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Anon, I fail to see how I am making trouble? I literally have only seen him play a handful of times and I was wanted some feed back from perth fans to get some further info rather than all the sixers fans on here who likely have also only seen him a handful of times. How about you be constructive and add to the discussion rather than singling out posters and getting stuck into them.

Reply #317857 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

No Deal, Weigh has the potential to be a starter in any NBL team in this comp, that is why the 6ers would be looking at him. people need to understand the coaches are building for the future not a quick fix, it is so obvious but people still keep sticking the knife in. Build a Club dont Buy a Club. Hope the rumur is true about weigh.

Reply #317867 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Hoops, I wasn't trying to "stick the knife in". Like I said I know very little about him and was simply looking for more information.

Reply #317868 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

At No Deal.I got the feeling from the handful of games that I saw of perth last season that he was underacheiving.

I got a feeling he is still very young and he has a huge amount of untapped talent. Positive signing, No deal.The cup is half full.
Go through the free agents list and pick a better young player that can start for us.
Im just putting it out there!!
Clarke and Radford now what weigh is like as a person and a player.

Reply #317874 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

No Deal, I consider Weigh to be an upgrade on Brad Hill. He doesn't have the athleticism of Hill but has an all round better game IMO. Certainly won't cringe when Weigh takes a 3pt shot.

His height is also a bonus as he could easily play 2-3-4 on defense. If Marty wanted to keep Hill on with a Weigh signing, I can picture a fairly good transition offence in running Bruce/Creek/Hill/Weigh/DJ at the same time on court. Very quick and very athletic lineup.

Probably one of those 2nd quarter teams you field when you're up 10-12 points.

Reply #317876 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I agree that he is an upgrade on Hill, I said that in my original post. And like I said I was happy to be told otherwise with my original opinion of Weigh.

Shall we just agree that it is a move in a positive direction. I'll support the team and have my season tickets renewed no matter who we sign or don't sign.

Reply #317880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops, 'build a club, don't buy a club' I think was your line.
I think Weigh is a fantastic signing for the club but don't think he wasn't bought. He is on BIG dollars and will need to be a very good starter to justify it.
Great pick up by the club but lets not keep talking about this building for the future crap, we need to start winning and winning soon.
And when are they going to announce this, its been a done deal for over a week now.

Reply #317891 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd say they are waiting for Weigh to return from over seas before they announce, perhaps so he can be present for a press conference?

Reply #317900 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Anon, how much is he on?? You are a little confused, spending money on quick fixes are buying wins, or money on long term players to build a team around.They might of paid too much, you know more than me but what price can you put on potential? I still think we have one of the best coaches in the league and maybe the worst list.would you come to Adelaid as a player if you didnt think Marty could make you a better player. Nice place to live Perth..Lets hope they can get it Done and people like you give him a chance.

Reply #317903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read the paers.
"The only problem we've been having is Steve is in Europe at the moment on holidays and won't be back for 10 days or so.

"But we've been talking with him and are having a red hot dip for him."

Reply #317906 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

According to Boti sixers have signed Weigh

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/stephen-to-weigh-in-for-sixers/story-e6frect3-1226059877772

Reply #318288 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"What are perth fans opinion of Weigh?"
I would say that he's a good signing.
Those questioning his basketball IQ are off the mark IMO. His size & athleticism are definite positives, and I think that in a different system to Perth's he could make an impact. For whatever reason he just never really found a niche here, and was mostly relegated to taking outside shots, which is definitely not his strength. (For all the people who go on about what an awesome shooting stroke he has, I have always thought it was robotic & awkward when his feet were set). On the other hand, get him in a mismatch with a shorter defender and he is pretty effective anywhere near the basket.
Also a pretty good defender against anyone that's not overly quick.
I think a change of scene is a good move for him. He may or may not take it to another level, but I don't think it was ever going to happen here. Hope you guys can get more out of him that us, like you did with Schenscher (and Dowdell too - not that that's saying much :p )

Reply #318329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754