Anonymous
Years ago

Adelaide SEABL team - a possiblity?

Has this been discussed/proposed etc? Would be great to have a SEABL team here for the both the players and the fans. Brisbane has one, why not Adelaide?

Topic #25546 | Report this topic

Hg  
Years ago

Sixers looked at this and proposed it for discussion amongst the abl clubs . With more planning it may get

Reply #317656 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Bit like the Crows and Power having Reserves Teams in the SANFL - needs the State league teams to agree to it and then there is the issue of funding it.

Reply #317661 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

i think we have had one previously but they pulled out ???

Reply #317668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When someone is willing to lose $200K we might get one.

Reply #317671 | Report this post

vista90  
Years ago

The Adelaide Buffaloes played in the SEABL. I remember a young fella with a flat top called Scotty Ninnis running around there. Also a couple of clubs had SEABL teams - I know Woodville was one in the late 80s/early 90s.

Reply #317680 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

was that when willie J was playing for the W ?

Reply #317681 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

W = Woodville

Reply #317682 | Report this post

Lionel  
Years ago

Buffaloes was a BASA composite side
Woodville had a SEABL side from around 88 to 93
Norwood had a SEABL side
Murray Bridge had a SEABL side

in the women there was a BASA composite side called the opals

Woodville, Sturt, and I think Forestville had a women's side in SEABL

North, Noarlunga and West had a WNBL side

all folded due to lack of money

Reply #317683 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It would be interesting to see the other SEABl clubs reaction to an adelaide side. One Adelaide side they would see as a negative. Two they might consider.

Reply #317690 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Adelaide / Mount Gambier road trip double perhaps perhaps?

Reply #317693 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Many Melbourne associations fund theirs largely through their sizeable junior membership. Is there any incentive for Adelaide clubs to pool resources and do likewise? Or any other feasible sources of income?

Reply #317698 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC, I am not sure of the logistics of a Mt G / Adelaide road double. Also not sure what it would do to traditional "other" doubles in the league.

But two games in Adelaide on a weekend would make for a better costing model.

Reply #317716 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

During this period, Brisbane would have a SEABL team.
Later, an NBL team.

Reply #317724 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Why would we need a SEABL team when we have ABL? So do we take from the ABL player pool and make ABL a 4th tier league, where we end up with current bench and training scrubs the marquee players of local league?

Dont see the need for it.

Reply #317725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane have a SEABL team NOW, and Adelaide is much closer to the south east area.

Reply #317728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is complaining about diverting funds from Juniors to ABA clubs. Unless a big sponsor was found and if this was to be a composite side who is going to fund it. I Can't see the District clubs being able to afford it when they are struggling to get resources into their junior programmes

Reply #317747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane's SEABL team is, in effect, one association - Southern Districts Spartans. And they have a vibrant association model to bear the costs. SA does not, and thus cannot afford to have a SEABL team - either via one club standing alone or a composite team.

Reply #317752 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That's how Mount Gambier do it too from my understanding. All of the SEABL teams are Association based.

Reply #317754 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Not quite LC. A number of the teams are strictly association based, such as Knox, Dandenong, Canberra and others.

My understanding is that this might not be the case for Albury and NW Tassie and Launceston (perhaps one or two others) but i think they have had a link to their local assoc.

Geelong is certainly not association based but the Supercats and the Geelong association have recently announced they are going to merge although I cannot find an online story about that.

Reply #317850 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks HO.

Yes, Dandenong, Knox, Nunawading, Sandringham, Frankston, Kilsyth, Bendigo and Ballarat are all assocation based. Geelong is currently not as you pointed out but by all reports will soon be as well.

Reply #317854 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

I know with NW Tas, they have a local league that Imports and NW team members play in on Tuesday nights. They sub contract the imports out to the highest bidder to local clubs. There are 8 teams along the NW coast. Other than that they are very much stand alone. Around $100,000 a season in costs, thats only paying imports, local guys do it for the love.

Reply #317869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt used to play in the SEABL Mens as well.
Too expensive was my understanding.

Reply #317905 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

If you keep Clarke then your wish will be granted!!

Reply #317938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754