Crogga
Years ago

Eddie Shannon

Can someone fill me in?

I havent looked at much sixers news recently (was on honeymoon) and i cant see much if any on Eddie Shannon. Are the sixers not at all interested in him or has he decided to leave?

Im assuming the same with Howard?

Topic #25550 | Report this topic

Bucks  
Years ago

^ Haha why would they wanna keep Shannon? They came second last he came in and had very little impact. A guy i liked and had good work ethic and defensive ability was Troy Jackson from High Stakes Hoops, or even Kevin Braswell could be a good signing, Orien Greene? Not sure if CJ Bruton is on contract in New Zealand, he's old but definately can still shoot the ball and loves the rims in adelaide.

Reply #317748 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

i have been researching for a new fresh import and orien greene came up dleaguer right ?

Reply #317749 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Wasn't Orien Greene the guy who played for NZ who got done for drugs in europe? If so, we should want no part of him.

As for shannon, I thought he was solid to start with but as the season came to a close he was regressing. I think it's better for the sixers to look elsewhere.

I'd be happy with Braswell. Ubaka could be a good target if he hasn't signed any other of the rumoured deals.

Reply #317753 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Greene ex Breakers Import, yeah believe he's playing Dleague trying to get back in the NBA. Had some good moments for NZ. Carlos Powell was better if by better you mean he'll get real good numbers but you'll lose.
CJ is contracted to the Breakers and I'd be very surprised if Braswell isn't back next year.

Reply #317755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greene wasn't all that impressive with the Breakers.

Reply #317769 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

bruton is not contracted hes on the free agents list

Reply #317776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ's too old and his best years are in the rear view mirror. I think he intends to re-sign with the Breakers unless "Europe" gets in the way.

Reply #317778 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

i have said it before- but why aren't teams going after tywain mckee (only one minor infringement) but a dam good player. also, kudos to the hawks' recruiting people, two superstars in two seasons!

Reply #317814 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ty has been blitzing the Russian league, he will be making mega Euros next year.

Reply #317817 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bucks, I liked the look of Troy Jackson during HSH too. The main concern with him is probably his inconsistent outside shot. I'd take him over the other guys you mentioned though:
- Braswell can shoot, but the last thing the Sixers need is a PG who turns the ball over so much.
- CJ is way past it and not worth the money needed to bring him to Adelaide at this point in time.
- Orien Greene first played for the Celtics in the NBA, but was cut by Ainge after some indiscretion (drugs or DUI I think). He does have some ability, but never seems to have settled anywhere, so I reckon he'd be too risky for the Sixers after so many recent strike outs.

Not sure where Eddie has moved onto Crogga, but he just didn't show enough IMO to be worth bringing back as an import. With Ervin available, I think the Sixers should be chasing him as their highest priority. If he is asking too much, Homicide and Ubaka should be chased too. Any of the three would significantly improve the Sixers next season.

Reply #317830 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was a great article about Orien the other month. You should be able to find it on Google. I think Braswell is looking for a job.

Reply #317844 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Strange how their first games were their best -
Shannon n Howard off the plane , looked like we had good ones.
DeVries runner up NBL POTW. Winder 2 of the seasons highlights.
Then regressed.
Don't think they are in any 36ers plans.
Shannon hold onto it tooo long.. I just get bored.
Bruce moves it around pretty quick.
Bruton best player in the NBL GF.
Clarke talks about Ubaka Williams n Ervin.
While they contacted Mills to play here during the NBL lockout.

Reply #317863 | Report this post

Rusty Dusty  
Years ago

Eddie Shannon - ballhog who can't shoot or defend. Sort of player the 36ers seem to sign. Haven't had any import success since Farley-Rhycart combo.

Reply #317885 | Report this post

Bucks  
Years ago

I advise Patty Mills if there is a lockout not to come back to Australia. He hasn't quiet made it as a deffinate player in the NBA yet and if he comes back to Australia on a small salary and doesn't play that well or turns the ball over alot(which is possible) he would regret it when he could go to Europe and getter a better Salary and More NBA scouts would see his talent. I would love to see Patty back in the NBL, but for him I would say not a good idea, I think he could possibly be one of the best point guard role players in the NBA,kinda in the mould of JJ Barea, except patty's outside shot is more consistent and hes faster.

Reply #317897 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wasnt Shannon DPoTY in the Adriatic League two years ago? Not saying he is a fit for Adelaide, but to say he cant defend doesnt really stck up.

Reply #317907 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I actually think playing here and enjoying being home and the open style would be much better for Mills than most gigs in Europe.

If he can get a good gig with one of the top Euro clubs go for it, but there are plenty of negative experiences to be had at a lot of European clubs and the style would not necessarily suit Mills. It certainly doesnt match the Western Conference of the NBA, whereas in Australia he can play some up and down ball.

Reply #317908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For Mills I think the best thing would be to go to Europe. As mentioned above all he has to do is struggle a little bit here or not dominate and NBA scouts will probably put a line through his name.

Reply #317922 | Report this post

Marty D  
Years ago

Lay off Eddie Shannon he can play solid D and from now on in his career will be a solid role player. The problem he accounted here was he needed to play with someone who could command the ball. He held on the ball too much because he felt like he had to do so much. He would be a perfect fit for the Breakers in the Henare role.
Beantown as usual you are spot on with your appraisal of Bruton and Braswell and Ubaka and Ervin would be great fits but Homicide just turns the ball over too much. He is a quality player and great marketing tool but Ubaka and Ervin would be better fits.

Reply #318076 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think NBA teams will judge Mills on what he has done in the NBA.

Reply #318083 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I personally don't think that Eddie Shannon was as bad as some would like to paint him as. As a PG I think he did do his job in that he averaged 9.6 points, 2.5 rebounds and 4.4 assists over his 18 games. The rebounds pg is pretty good considering the guy is only 5'10" tall. Sure, his FG% left a bit to be desired (38.8) but then I doubt he was brought here to lead the league in scoring.

As for him holding the ball too long during the 24 seconds, I've said before and here again I say that was more a team structure problem. It seemed to be a case of "try to get it into Balls first then look around second". Because Balls isn't the athletic type of player who can move around or out-body someone to create a lot of openings, that made it hard for Shannon as he then usually only had less than 10-12 seconds to look around.

Shannon might be a good late pickup for an NBL team after guys like Ervin, Homicide etc have been signed as he is now a known quantity in the NBL. However I do think that with the last 2 league MVP's as current free agents the 36ers should be looking there first.....but I for one wouldn't be overly upset if Eddie Shannon happens to be in a 36ers uniform during 2011-12. Though I would hope that the team structure on offense does change a fair bit from what we saw last season. When only 1 player on the entire playing roster averages over 10ppg, something isn't working.

Reply #318302 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754