LC
Years ago

Gem's World Championship Team Named

Basketball Australia have announced the final make up of the 2011 U19 World Championship team that will compete in Chile from 21 - 31 July.

The Gems, 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship Team

Aimie Clydesdale — Victoria/Dandenong
Ashleigh Karaitiana — NSW/Sydney Comets
Rebecca Allen — Victoria Country/Wangaratta
Sara Blicavs — Victoria Metro/AIS
Alex Bunton — ACT/AIS
Rebecca Cole — Victoria/AIS
Madeleine Garrick — Victoria Country/Shepparton
Kerryn Harrington — Victoria Country/Bendigo
Carley Mijovic — Victoria Metro/Dandenong/AIS
Nadeen Payne — Queensland/Townsville
Tayla Roberts — Tasmania/Launceston/AIS
Gretel Tippett — Qld/Gold Coast/Logan

Gems Staff

Cheryl Chambers — Head Coach
Karen Dalton — Assistant Coach
Wayne Pollock — Assistant Coach
Merryn Aldridge — Physiotherapist
Dr Maja Markovic — Doctor
Michele Menso — Team Manager

Gems 2011 World Championship team named

Topic #25570 | Report this topic

';'  
Years ago

What SA girls were in this squard intitially?

Reply #318078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thompson, Seekamp, Talbot

Reply #318081 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Congratulations to the girls selected, particularly the talls who have established themselves as so far ahead of their would-be challengers that it wasn't worth inviting in even a single extra tall at any stage during the selection process.

Reply #318085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the SA girls unlucky to miss out, or the others just better? Who was our best chance?

Reply #318086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think there were any other talls, whom are you speaking of ankles?

Reply #318093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would think Thompson family would be gutted

Reply #318095 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

all national team power bases are in the east at present.

Reply #318102 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Dont want to name names becasue I don't think it serves anybody's interest to get into it. Maybe there are no other talls - there's certainly some players as tall who have produced a variety of results at Nationals (their only chance to prove themselves). My point is more about the fact that these five players have been cemented in the team since the first camp - how much drive does that give anybody to improve or get better or compete.

There are two players ranked in the top handful of players in their position at World level. I don't think the other three are beyond challenge yet that is exactly the position they have been put in by the powers that be. I'd bet the guards in the group would love to have gone into the first camp and looked around and said - hey, there's only five of us here and they'll be taking five to Chile - let's pack our bags.

And I think Thompson has a right to feel miffed - missed out on the NZ trip initially but was called in to replace and injured tall (which she certainly is not - as athletic as she is) and has produced far more at the Nationals I've seen than some of the girls selected.

NSW - runners up at Nationals - 1 player
QLD - 3rd at Nationals - 2 players (but only 1 played)
SA - 4th at Nationals - no players.

When more than half the team are bottom-age (or younger) and the Vics won the 18's by a single point last year I just dont see the gap as being as large as the selectors/coaches obviously do.

Maybe BA are taking a leaf out of the smallgoods book - 'is Vic - is good!'.

Reply #318106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754