Banjo
Years ago

Sixers

Any movement at the Station for surely the message must have got around - that Mulga Clarke is in town.

any signings ??

Topic #25572 | Report this topic

bretts the man  
Years ago

Again Sixers lagging behind in getting team together.
Know been less than a week since officially been able to talk to other teams free agents but other teams have done so already .
Not only does this tardiness allows for us to be trumped with new players we also are allowing other teams time to grab our players or force their price up to sign.
They should even be able to fill whole team ASAP as any imports they sign should be known proven imports as we certainly cant get new imports even remotely right.

Reply #318101 | Report this post

Seriously  
Years ago

And again guessing from people that dont know. With the exception of 2 most signings have been re signing their own players, not real hard. If you have no real idea what is going on or who is being spoken to that does not mean that nothing is going on. But hey, I am sure Marty would wnat to tell bretts first !

Reply #318104 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Other than Liam Rush and Daniel Dillon can someone remind me who has officially been announced as being signed by a team that is different to the team they played for last season

Reply #318111 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Judging by the rumours over the past week, we have been negotiating with Schenscher, Weigh, Dorsey, Ervin, Homicide, Ubaka, we've contacted Markovic, Mills.
Weigh is pretty much a done deal apparently, just he's overseas, so that is stalled there. He's as important or even more than anyone else that's been signed already. One of the bigger name attainable free agents I would have thought.
Schenscher probably won't sign on with anyone until the last second like he does every preseason. People say we screwed him around by not waiting the last 2 seasons, how about him stringing 2 or 3 teams along for so long waiting on a decision. We acted on Burston and Johnson, because then we at least could get on with building our side rather than waiting until the last minute then scrambling around to form a team.
We're looking for a big piece or 2 to build our side around. No point doing the same as last season and signing all the fringe guys, then acting on the imports and big names and being forced into certain positions.
Dillon and Rush are the only new signings. Handy players, but nothing to build a roster around.
I can't see any of our players' prices being driven up by us not signing them straight away. Carter has already said he's leaving. Hill, Holmes, Ng, Dowdell, Bruce are fringe players at best. If they get a better offer elsewhere, good luck to them, it's not going to be a massive loss with any of them.
I'd say we are trying to build our team as soon as possible. Fill in the big pieces and the small pieces will fit in much easier.

Reply #318112 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

All of the 36er Championship Teams had 8 good players and 2 to make up the numbers. Sign the 8 that will take the main minutes and the others will take care of themselves.

Reply #318116 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hendo8888, your memory is incorrect. Last season Schenscher wanted to sign but Clarke decided he didn't want him. That was not waiting for the last minute but rather that he wanted Johnson instead. Also I don't think Dorsey has been mentioned in someone he has talked to but rather whom ppl in the forum want because the guy hit a few 3's in the finals.

Reply #318117 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

I actually think them sending out season renewals before we know who is signed or not signed is a bit rich why should we after some disappointing seasons part with out hard earned cash we could be finishing bottom again. Either hold off on your ticket sales or get some signings cause 5% off a ticket is not much when you think of the sweeteners some get during the season.

Seems like they hurt the faithful and cater to the disenchanted.

Reply #318120 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

The fact that they have not announced much leaves me to think there will be some big changes.
You don't let the bulk of your team go to free agency unless you have some good options up your sleeve.
Let’s face it change is needed. It would have been easy to sign up last year’s team, if that happened I would be disappointed.
I don’t think there is any way the Club could survive another repeat, so I am guessing a shit load of work is going on.
Another interesting point, if the lockout happens and there is no D League where would all those players go?
If your team was done and those opportunities come along, just a theory.

Reply #318140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It shouldn't be about who's on the team. Fairweather supporters will wait to see who's playing, but a true fan will buy their membership, and be a part of their team regardless.

Reply #318151 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

The sixers should sign our proven home growm players immediatley.
NG, Hill, Holmes.
It bullshit that they are being strung along>

Reply #318153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankfully, youre not the coach Peter! Signing players just because they are homegrown is unproffessional and part of the reason Clarke and the Sixers were unsuccessful last season.

Ng is the only one who should be retained from that list you suggested......at a stretch the other 2.

Signings should be based on the best available talent and if they happen to come from Adelaida ala Schenscher then thats a bonus!

Reply #318164 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

regardless who the sixers sign I will be renewing my season ticket, I have been getting my season ticket through the good times & crap times & will continue to renew my ticket as long as I live.

It seriously rubs me up the wrong way when supporters dont renew their membership all because we are having a bad spell. Then once we do well everyone jumps back on board & they call themselves supporters......... please the ones that do that you guys have no idea & are NOT true supporters

Reply #318170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been a season ticket holder since the Dome openedbut I don't seehow you cam criticize someone for not renewing season tickets until they have a better idea of who is in the team.

After last season and in particular the style of play under Clarke moreso than the results, my family are for the first time considering not renewing.

There is next to no prospects of the stadium being sold out so if there is demonstrated improvement I will have no problems getting tickets on game night which are potentially better seats than the season tickets anyway.

Six season tickets = close to $2000 when potentially you only know who one of the starting 5 players is, is a big ask.

Reply #318174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - if everyone thinks like you there will be no team!

A true supporter doesn't base their membership decision on players on the team, who the coach is, etc. etc.

They sign up because they want to be a member of their club!

Reply #318178 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I have no problem when people what to renew their seats and what for most of the team to be confirmed. Just don't complain when you can't get your seats because you didn't renew before the cut off

Reply #318179 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

i have been a season ticket holder from since apollo days not missed a season, not what you would call a fair weather supporter. But as I am approaching retirement and my hours are being reduced I start to need to look at where I am spending my dollars, why is it not hard to ask who is in the team before I sign up again, maybe you are all rich enough to sign up without a financial care in the world but when it starts to come to whether I can afford the luxury of a season ticket it comes down to value for money. Do I love the game yes I do, can I watch the game on OneHD yes I can, does that cost me a lot less than travelling to findon to watch it live yes it does.

Don't throw back whether I am a fair weather supporter or not, but perhaps look at the fact that not everyone is in the position to fork out the money even if you can pay it off over the year. Especially when the team may not offer bang for the buck. Show me the team and I will forgo in other areas.

When you have gone to apollo every week to watch district basketball, attended the NBL in Adelaide from inception of the league been a season ticket holder of the sixers from the late 80s then tell me weather i am a fair weather supporter.

Reply #318188 | Report this post

Seriously  
Years ago

Then clarify the difference, if you cant afford it fair enough. If that is an excuse to not renew for some other reason lame. This club is not financially strong if it goes under then look at all the money you can save because you will have no where to go.

Reply #318190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ill be buying my membership, no worries about that, BUT i would like some resepct as a fan, and have the club give some indictaion on how they will be moving in the right direction before that start bringing the memberships out for next season. They can do this by signing some of those 'close deal' players first, and if they havent got anyone close to signing....well then we do have problems dont we.

Reply #318191 | Report this post

freddles  
Years ago

where does it say that my financial status actually has to be of concern to you seriously, or to the general public, why can't I have a differing view to you?

why is that people who have concerns about where the team is heading, can't have an opinion without accusatons thrown in their face.

After spending the entire weekend at basketball over the state champs. After spending every weekend following the ABA I won't be starved of the game I love.

I still do not think it is much to ask that a club has a roster organised before they ask for season tickets to be renewed. Or at least if not organised at least partially organised do we actually know who has been resigned who is about to be signed.

Above all I am an individual who is entitled to their own views. Shouldn't this all be about respect of freedom of speech or seriously do you SERIOUSLY believe everyone should agree with you?

Reply #318192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe the club asked you to re-sign as a member. They put memberships on sale, and offered you the ability to. You have until the 17th June to get the early bird cutoff, and the 1st July to retain your seat from last season.

It's not like the club have said "you have 30 seconds to comply."

The choice is yours to wait, the club realise that, and that's why the earlybird goes for a month - so that you can wait to see who some of the signings are, and make up your mind.

Obviously, they have to put the membership on sale and some point, and that's what theyv'e done (one of the last teams in the league to do so, btw). As they make signings now, you have the ability to go and sign up when you like what you see.

Reply #318196 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

FACT:
- less then 6% of members of sporting clubs don't renew memberships due to poor team performances.
- most renew to support the club, not the individuals that make up the team.

Reply #318229 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

If you cant afford season tickets that is fair enough, don't see why everyone is harping on that after all he has been a season ticket holder since Adelaide's inception.

I have followed Adelaide since the early 90's and once again will be renewing my tickets but everyone is different and has different opinions. I LOVE ADELAIDE WIN OR LOSE but do agree unlike last season moves need to be made quick smart so we can have the best possible line up and hence ensure our survival.

Good team - Good results - 36 hundred memberships hopefully.

Big Red needs to be signed, show him how much we want him, show the other players faith and how much ADELAIDE wants them here too. Within a year or two Adelaide will be a chosen destination to come and play ball again.

Reply #318287 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754