KB3
Years ago

Ubaka and Dorsey sign with Melbourne

Cairns have lost 3 big guns in a week.
Tigers will be decent with Gleeson coaching them
let alone the signings he has nailed.
Impressive stuff

Cairns will go from GF to spoon in a season.

Topic #25579 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I posted this in the other thread but this seems more suitable

So if this is true there whole team will be

C Burston/Walker
PF Trigger/Greer
SF Rush/Lewis
SG Dorsey/Corletto
PG Ubaka/Dillon

Pretty small team compared with what they had last year

Reply #318252 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

For mine, the lineup will look as follows

Trigger - Burston
Rush - Walker
Dorsey - Greer
Dillon - Lewis
Ubaka - Corletto

Reply #318253 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

bull

Reply #318254 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Well that was a quick response by Melbourne..

Reply #318256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not confirmed.
In negotiations.......all team negotiate

Reply #318258 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

How do they fit that team within the salary cap??

Reply #318260 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

New starting 5 by the looks of it!

Reply #318261 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Something up with Fearne or just lure of a bigger city and more money?

Reply #318262 | Report this post

Market Rumors  
Years ago

A combination of fearne, small city and not spending the cap all have something to do with it. Spend the cap and these three don't leave Cairns..

Reply #318263 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

According to this still in negotiations, even though Dorsey has said on twitter he has signed a 2 year deal.

http://www.nbl.com.au/tigers/news/article/2011/may/melbourne-tigers-in-negotiations/

Reply #318266 | Report this post

Market Rumors  
Years ago

PLus you don't have to do 200+ promos a season in Melbourne..

To attract players to Cairns you need to spend because there isn't much that will attract players away from GC, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth

Reply #318269 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

just adding up the points no including Rush the tigers are at 64 meaning rush is only a 6 point player at the most which is a steal if you ask me

Reply #318270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when is the deadline for all NBL teams to finalise their teams for the new season?

Reply #318271 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Whoops might fault Lewis is still only a 1 point player so not including Rush they still have 10 points so I doubt he would be a 10 point player so they still might have some points to pick up a big a run with 11

Reply #318272 | Report this post

Cally  
Years ago

Sour grapes I know - but have these guys thought about the way they were treated like rock stars in Cairns and from one of the best supporter groups in the league, then going to Melbourne Tigers and become unknowns (who cares)in that big city and not such a good supporter group? I have lived in Melbourne for many years, where no one cares about anyone else.

Reply #318275 | Report this post

noname  
Years ago

Thought itd be Crocs players Melbourne would sign - I did read correctly it'd be Gleeson coaching them, not Fearne?

Reply #318282 | Report this post

noname  
Years ago

Walker isnt a Centre, for the record!!!

Reply #318283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most people would agree that the Tigers lineup last year was completely unbalanced but is it just me or does this current version seem to have about six 3 men?

Reply #318284 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Noname, that is my point if this is there going to be there team they will be small and I doubt that will be there line up, I was just showing how small it will look

Reply #318285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players primary positions
Ubaka PG
Dillon SG
Corletto SG
Rush SF
Lewis SF
Dorsey SF
Walker SF
Tragardh PF
Greer PF
Burston C

And then taking into consideration most of these players can play multiple positions, I think they'll be fine.

Reply #318289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greer is a SF at NBL level

Reply #318291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Need another big but might be a bit short of points. Vanderjagt or Behrendorff?

Reply #318294 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Burston stays fit they have no hassles, he and Trahardh will cover centre, Walker and Dorsey can cover leftover minutes at PF. An injury to either of the two big guys could create hassles, but really, a team on the floor of Walker, Dorsey, Rush, Greer and Dillon/Ubaka can cover the boards and has great flexibility defensively while the starting centre is resting.

Of course, if both big guys got injured that would be a worry.

Reply #318297 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

not true

Reply #318303 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So last year, the Tiges were collecting centres, this year it appears they're building a SF collection?

Massive signings for Melbourne and a big blow for Cairns. The Tigers definitely need another big, because Burston ALWAYS has injury troubles, but on paper they have a very nice starting lineup with some good players off the bench too.

Haven't counted myself but if Big Sexy is right and they only have 10 points remaining before adding Rush, there aren't many points left for a backup centre. Will probably have to be a pretty average journeyman at best with 3-4 points available.

Reply #318308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering when did the tigers resign walker and I thought they didn't want him when they signed the new coach

Reply #318311 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

why would Melb not want to keep one of the most athletic young players around in Walker Anon?

Reply #318312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the Tigers and Walker have always been quite keen to re-up, and the club in fact issued a media release saying they are in contract negotiations with him.

Reply #318313 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

just as i thought....dillon and ubaka teaming up for the southern leg of the "party/panty" circuit.
i didn't see the doresy thing coming though,i suspected he would go for more money but not there....looks like seamus has been saving up the brown paper bags again!!

reasons for exiting cairns - 1/it's a professional sport and cairns doesn't have any money. 2/the players have to work harder in the cairns community(poor things) 3/they were treated like rockstars in cairns.....except at the negotiating table and i'm sure that didn't sit well.4/something up with fearne?yep....but he almost performed a miracle last season so go figure!!

maybe in the future the nbl should set up trades between clubs!! i would have lewis, walker and corletto any day.

while i'm at it,i would take hill and herbet as well.

Reply #318336 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I think its purely a money thing. Fearne's proven himself as a decent coach but prob lacks a bit of charisma - similar to Wayne Bennet but we all know how good he is. Dorsey, Ubaka & Dillon would have been saying 'show me the money' - & Cairns cant. It's a shame but money is money. Clever of Gleeson to swoop - Tigers looking ok!

Reply #318366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754