anonymous
Years ago

ABL womens coaches

This forum is fantastic - and there are a lot of discussions started about mens teams, players and their coaches - so I'd like to hear what people are thinking of the Womens ABL coaches this year. Who do we think is doing the best with the team they have - who do we think are not. Also, who are the outstanding players and what are the outstanding performances people have seen so far? The ABL stats and ratings on this site are sensational and a big 'well done and keep it up' to the people who are putting it all together, but sometimes stats don't say it all. Any feedback from anyone?

Topic #2558 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Good thinking Anon, we shouldn't forget about the Womens league.

Well I think that the worst playing team atm would be Centrals. I don't know if that's due to the coaching (which I don't think it is) or the lack of talent in the Lions squad.

I think the Sturt women are looking pretty strong based on the results so far.

I think the team to watch coming up will be Forrestville.

Haven't seen any of the others play so can't really comment.

Reply #28730 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

When is Damian Weeks going to coach an ABL Womens team?

Like him or not the guy has the runs on the board, has one of the better coaching CVs going around and is one of the smartest blokes I have met.

Reply #28741 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i like watching ABA games more with the men then the women. As for the women at centrals i would say that they are the worse team at the moment. Damien is far from ready to coach any ABA team ( if is the same person im thinking of)not only isnt he ready but you dont only get him you get the whole package meaning his two side kicks

Reply #28744 | Report this post

2 Hype  
Years ago

Anonymous

In future make sure your brain is engaged before you post. If you actually had anything to do with SA basketball you would know very well who Damien Weeks is.
You are obviously referring to the Damien discussed in a couple of threads below - sorry, but different guy. I would suggest you crawl back there and have your fun, and leave the rest of us to have a sensible basketball discussion.

Reply #28746 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Just ask u 18 girls what they think of Damian and his boring ways and if you still in doubt just go and watch his training - don't forget the pillow or have caffeine boost before you go.

Reply #28749 | Report this post

travel592  
Years ago

Damien Weeks has had some wonderful results in the past and any of the lower ranked ABA womens' teams would benefit from his experience, although he would probably stick with the higher ranked teams. He has the right temperament to get the girls motivated. Woodville women could definitely do with a fresh approach and some new coaching staff. Centrals seem to be improving under their new coaching staff, although the results are yet to show it.

Reply #28756 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

sorry 2 Hype my mistake

Reply #28761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien Weeks with Seniors he would bore them. He could not cope cause they would be older than the Juniors that he has sucess with - Juniors have to do what he says, but seniors wouldn't give a damm and would just go to sleep on him. BORING as he is so I don't see how he would motivate them travel592, he is quite the opposite ask his state teams.

Reply #28776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#28776 are u serious? You either dont know what you are talking about or have a chip on your shoulder. This is ABL level. Its elite level and players are self motivated. Having said that Damian is a good motivator. Just because he does not yell and scream on the sidelines like every other try hard rick pitino/Bob knight does, does not mean he cannot motivate (look at lindsay gaze, phil jackson).

No offense to the Rick Pitinos out there. Pitino was successful but my point is every coach has their style.

Reply #28780 | Report this post

veteran  
Years ago

I am sure he could cope. what 2 side kicks though - I only know of 1

Reply #28782 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

What about current womens coaches ?? What do people think of them ??

Reply #28789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Noel does a great job at Southern with what he has got. It must be hard with the previous coach in the background trying to cause disharmony and his girlfriend trying to go to other clubs. Southern will be so much better without these people there next year.

Reply #28791 | Report this post

lynne holland is a good blue collar coach - she makes the most of what talent she has under her command.

woodville is not a high profile girls club - hence it does not attract a lot of players - however they seem to do little wrong there and most girls / women at the club seem fairly happy

Reply #28864 | Report this post

pitstop  
Years ago

Alan Lee has his Sturt team chugging along well. Good work ethics and harmony.

Reply #28891 | Report this post

Smiley  
Years ago

Anonymous #28791

I think you should be getting your facts before posting on here. As for the "previous coach causing disharmony", i am not sure how you figure this as he has nothing to do with abl and does 16 girls. As for his "girlfriend trying to go to other clubs", she loves it at tigers and would never go to another club as she is too loyal to southern! And one other fact you should get straightened out, they arent actually together any longer so before spreading stuff about other ppls love lives how bout you go get your own!

Reply #28919 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Centrals' problem is not their coach, it is the culture.

Centrals have been at the bottom of the ladder for years, winless for years, which is why you find average players go to Centrals to get recognised, score a bucket load of points and then leave when they are offered a spot elsewhere.

I think it is great they have recruited big for the men's team and when they have some money they should do the same for the women's team.

However, Woodville are also lost in the wilderness. There seems to be a big gap between the top half and bottom half of the competition.

Reply #28925 | Report this post

lion tamer  
Years ago

Friday night special, Woodville competed for the ABL title 10 years ago, it has not been able to attract high profile players since Lyn took over. Have a look at who has left over the last ten years and then re submit your post.

Reply #28991 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

lion tamer - EXACTLY correct!! Woodville womens team used to be one of the teams to beat - and now.. well.. but not many teams have a similar outfit to what they had 10 years ago - players retire, move clubs etc etc however, I think committee's of clubs need to reasses how they sign head coaches, not just in woodville's case either. Committee members out there - is there a criteria when appointing or re-appointing coaches? Or do you just appoint or re-appoint coaches because they have been at a club for X-number of years... Do members get actively involved in the team; to see if coaches are doing the best they can with the squad they have? And if coaches are doing the best they can to build a team to be as competitive as they can in this level of basketball?

Reply #29005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon and Lion Tamer you are on the money, of course teams change but they still manage to attract good players if the club looks for the right coach. lets look at the players that have left woodville under its present coach.

Haase
Witton
Gates (and back again, what the?)
smith
Cummins
Dalton
Scovell
Price
Rockachinski
porplycia
gomers
big blondie at norwood now
cudmore

etc, etc, etc

what top ranking womens player has even thought hard about coming to the warriors under it present coach??

Its not Lyns fault the club needs to care about its womens program half as much as its mens and that will increase 100%. I doubt they have ever put together a hit list like they did when tracy left the mens program this year an add in the tap in is hardly trying.

Reply #29055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is this an all out attack on lynne holland?

have you people the guts to tell it to her face?

Reply #29056 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

re: Anonymous' last msg about comments being a personal attack - my comment before wasnt an attack on lynn holland personally; i was just asking do committee members take an active interest in watching what the coach they select does with the team they have, and asking what the criteria is used when appointing or re-appointing head coaches.. and I think what the other 'Anonymous' was saying was that clubs perhaps dont take such an interest on the womens program as they do the mens ... the post was initially started asking people what they thought of the ABL womens coaches this year .. do people think there are any good coaches, despite the team they are in .. e.g I think Centrals have a fantastic coach despite the fact they havent won a game this year ...
So, no personal attack on Coach Holland at all...

Reply #29063 | Report this post

travel592  
Years ago

Five years ago Woodville women were competitive, both in the women's teams and in U16 and U18's. With the mass exodous of quality players over the years the women's program has never been in more trouble. The attitude appears to be that we have to have a women's team so the men can play. One has to ask when Woodville are going to start addressing the problems and build the women's teams up again, even if it takes 2-5 years. It would be interesting to see what money Woodville put into their women compared to the other clubs.

Reply #29105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynne is a great coach who does the best with what talent she has to work with. Lynne is also doing a great job with the junior girls she is coaching. You go girl.

Reply #29204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754