Supa21
Years ago

10 or 12 min quarters.

Just wondering everyones thoughts on how they see the new format. I know 10 mins is in line with fiba and meant to keep scores closer, but for me brought up watching 12 mins version in the 90's just seems to be how the game was meant to be played

Topic #25597 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

12 Minute quarters is how it should be played but 10 minute quarters suits TV and thats what we need

Reply #318492 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hard for the coaches & the fringe players but im fine wit it

Reply #318497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15 minutes for me.

Reply #318509 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

12 MINUTES!! Just when the game is starting to warm up, I'm back in the car heading home. Need more hoops!

Reply #318511 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i'm fine with the 10 min qtrs....it's the 2 mins to get a beer and have a piss i'm not happy with !!!

Reply #318522 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Anyone that thinks 10 min quarters are better than 12 have no idea about the game of bball.
Most people like high scoring games, with 10min quarters i cant remember the last time a team scored 100pts in a game.
The only people and I mean the ONLY people who benefit from having 10 min quarters are the umpires who get paid the same and are now umpiring 8 less minutes per game.

Reply #318534 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

12 min quarters are far more satisfying

Reply #318542 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Last time someone scored 100 points in a 40 minute game. Two nights ago in Croatia? In the NBL it was the Wildcats in the semi finals. NZ's' best was only 99 points in the SF.

Reply #318548 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not as much as an issue for me as I would have thought - I am fine with it staying at 10 minute quarters and haven't missed the extra 8 minutes as much as I thought I would.

Baller

'Anyone that thinks 10 min quarters are better than 12 have no idea about the game of bball.'

Perhaps that is the point - a shorter game may keep people who are not the true fans more engaged and interested. If that leads to more fans overall, excellent.

With the NBA still at 12 minute quarters, and with their crazy 82 game season, I couldn't count the number of lack lustre "post it in" performances and meaningless quarters I watched (or turned off). I do think that the 10 minute quarters may have something to do with keeping the intensity up in the NBL.

Reply #318551 | Report this post

Hugh  
Years ago

12 is way better. 10 min qtrs has seen the demise of the 9th & 10th player.

Reply #318554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like both. Doesnt faze me either way. Agree re much of the NBA regular season being lacklustre.

Reply #318558 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It doesn't bother me either way. I can see the benefits of both ways, but what I don't understand is the relentless pursuit by Daniel Eade of demanding the return to 12 minute quarters because it has apparently killed basketball in Melbourne.

Reply #318562 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I love it when people claim that the 12 minute q is how the game is meant to be played.

The 12 min q has always been the exception to how the game is played. Lets name the big leagues that play 48 minute ball.

NBA
nada

The major change that makes the 40 minute format more acceptable in our current environment has been the change from halves to quarters which FIBA made after 2000 from memory.

Daniel Eade .... lol.

Reply #318566 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Norwood women scored over 100 on the weekend in 10 minute quarters....

Reply #318635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

baller don't the players get paid the same for 8 less mins?

Reply #318641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about 11 minute quarters? meet in the middle

Reply #318665 | Report this post

sniper  
Years ago

I hate the new format of 10min quarters. As valued season ticket holders, it takes away 8 mins from our memberships per game. I know, its good for the players. When it was 12 mins a quarter, you could be down by 12 with 7mins to go and still be a chance. Now its 12 with 5 minutes to go and winning is unlikely. But the overall improvement of the sport is paramount and if this makes the NBL better, then fine. I agree its in the best interests for everyone

Reply #318698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hugh, that's untrue. Teams are running 10 players a game regularly.

Reply #318714 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Sniper - you have confused yourself. It doesnt matter how long the quarter is..if you have 5 minutes to go and down by 12, you have 5 minutes to go, no matter how long the quarter is. Likewise, if you have 7 minutes to go, you have just that, 7 minutes of a 10/20/30/900 minute quarter.

Reply #318718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754