The Journo
Years ago

36ERS Can Still Sign A Championship Team

Adelaide I believe can still sign up quality free agents that will make the team climb the mountain just that little bit higher than in seasons past.

I think BEN PEPPER and DARNELL MEE should be on the very top of the list.

Adelaide should not even worry about signing WILLIE FARLEY, as the saga for his signature will take too long and other free agents of the same calibire will pass through the 36ers hands. (Like Mee)

The siging of Pepper and Mee, plus the re-siging of Rychart (DONE), Nash, Cooper, Maher, Holmes is essential.

The Journo's 2005-2006 36ers Team

STARTERS:
Pepper, Rychart, Forman, Mee, Maher

BENCH:
Nash, Holmes, Ng, Hill, Cooper

What does everyone think???

Topic #2560 | Report this topic

ShaneD  
Years ago

of course.... why resign the MVP.. it makes no sense at all (?)

Reply #28747 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

im betting that "Bizzy" agrees with you!

Reply #28750 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

My point is, lets take a known triple double all-round team player that gets the job done.

Pepper will revel in the Adelaide mix, helping out BIG TIME on the boards, a mobile big man is what Adelaide need.

Doesn't matter how flashy it is, as long as it finds the bottom of the net!

Reply #28754 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Bring back Dusty & Farley, they were possibly the best import duo of any team last season.

Depth was one weakness of last seasons team and import selection isn't going to impact that. After all, you can only have two of them.

Our imports were great last season but we need more Aussie talent around them. A whole season for Hill will help. A healthy Nash or a healthy replacement will help. But we need more.

Reply #28755 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Sounds like a good idea getting depth but at the cost of farley im not sure ... Farley is a great player and he wants to play in adelaide i think we need to sign him ..if we can get mee and pepper we should do all we can to get them

Reply #28759 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I'll pass on Pepper. Big slow and only effective on the low block. Sounds like Paul Rogers to me, and we all know how well he went in Phil's system. I like Cooper in the middle. I think he knows his role now and plays it very well.

If we could get Mee I would take him over Willie. I love Willie's game but I think a combo of Mee/Maher/Dusty is abit better than Maher/Farley/Dusty.
Abit less scoring but alot more defense.

Mee/Ng
Maher/Hill
Forman/Holmes
Dusty/?
Cooper/?

If we could recruit a solid backup PF/C I think that would be a lineup capable of contending for a championship.

If we couldn't get Mee, i'd welcome Farley back but there would still be doubts in my mind about our backcourt perimeter defense after the way Brisbane tore us up this season past.

Reply #28766 | Report this post

warthog  
Years ago

no pepper please

Reply #28778 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Oh agreed, Farley / Mee in that spot, I was just thinking that Darnell might be cheaper, so there is some room to give the loyal players a bit more?

Reply #28783 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

whats wrong with ben pepper.one of the only 7 footers in the league a beast on the boards,a workhorse and a bogan.he would be a good fit.hang on the sixers only sign dud centres these days.guess pepper is out of the question.

Reply #28798 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

we dont need farley this season.our first options should be to sign dusty and pepper.we have our big men covered.i think forman should get a start this year as a 3 man.then who do we have as our guards.
? ? forman rychart peeper
hill ng ? ? cooper

Reply #28802 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bring back Farley at all costs. He didn't get MVP if he wasn't the most valuable player. All we need is last season's team plus another big man. I wouldn't take any chances with Nash. Bradtke was ideal, but too late now. Priority has to be given to the current team to sign up, then pursue a big man.

Reply #28804 | Report this post

Saf  
Years ago

Quite simply, the Sixers do need to re-sign Farley and Rychart. You can't give that sort of talent away. But first up we need to re-sign our coaches or we are going to miss out on everyone. Losing Ninnis was one thing but if we lose one of these guys the whole thing is going to go up in flames.

Reply #28811 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Rychart is re-signed.

No word on Farley yet. Mee is a great player and I wouldn't complain with either of them.

However, Mee has been linked to Cairns and I haven't heard anything about him coming to play for us.

If I had a choice I'd go Farley because of his instant offence and the pressure he takes off Maher. That and the fact he is several years younger.

If we had Cat, or another explosive 20ppg scorer then Darnell would be the better fit.

If Farley is keen to stay and isn't asking for a crazy amount then I think it would be too big a gamble to look elsewhere.

I thought Pepper was staying in New Zealand and in any event, I don't think the 36ers would target him.

Another mobile budget big man such as Hinder that can rebound, defend and set screens is all we need in our system to be contenders.

Hoare or Castle as replacements for Nash wouldn't be bad either.

Reply #28821 | Report this post

??????  
Years ago

Ben Pepper is sooo ugly
sighn willie,maher,dusty,mee but not Pepper

Reply #28829 | Report this post

pitstop  
Years ago

Get the coach signed too please!

Reply #28835 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

People say no we dont want pepper .... Yet we have put up with season after season with Paul Rees as our center... Pepper in my opinion is a much better player then rees

Reply #28842 | Report this post

Years ago

shut up journo. how can you let a player like farley slip away. U loser. You obvisously follow the lightning more then u follow the 6ers.

Reply #28843 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think the true value of Rees in recent times has been his presence off the court and in the locker room. The style of ball that Phil coaches revolves so much around chemistry and believing in each other that on court stats cant be the only criteria. IMO Pepper doesnt seem to be the free flowing player who enjoys himself on the court that would fit with the rest of our team. While he may be a moster on the boards we need to make sure that we find someone who fits into the team structure

And a coach would be nice too at this stage!

Reply #28856 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

its seems by all the talk that mee is off to cairns. Farley is younger as well, if only one would become an aussie and then take a cut so we could fit them all in. Keep cooper I think, he works well and will be better with the year under him in the system.

Reply #28859 | Report this post

As Mee is an Australian citizen this year, this would be my team

Maher/Ng
Mee/Hill
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/Gower
??/Cooper

?? would be looking at a quick big around 6ft10 from the US. One that matches our fast play and can run the lanes (play the perimeter). Also we are quick to dismiss Holmes for a bad season but a awesome preseason. Watch for holmes to be a stand-out.

Reply #28875 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

he is not even back with us yet is he?

Reply #28912 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Smyth was signed late yesterday arvo.

And forget about someone like Pepper - Sixers system doesnt revolve around centers like him.

Reply #28915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont see why you all want ng he did nothing for us last season

Reply #28916 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

thats what pisses me off about the sixers of the last 10 years.why dont they care for and revolve their system around the centre.the biggest and possibly most dominate player on the court?????
why dont we want pepper who is a beast, potential 15 boards 10 points shot blocker and can guard all the many big player in the league the sixers dont care for taking/

Reply #28918 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Why do we need Ben Pepper?

How about: Shawn Redhage, Dusty Rychart, Willie Farley, Brett Maher, Brad Hill, David Cooper, Nick Hambour, Darren Ng and either Darryl McDonald or Darnell Mee?

You could even start Darnell and bring Jacob off the bench, either way, an awesome sixth man.

Reply #28924 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Ive never been a Pepper fan,but he posted some decent numbers last season.He would be a great pick up for the sixers,another big body,just what they need.
I cant see Farley and Mee in the same team, maybe D mac though.

Reply #28929 | Report this post

its pat  
Years ago

i think jye watson from centrals would be better then Ng i think

Reply #28978 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

What I would like to know is how can Brisbane afford such high calibre players while under the cap? I thought they'd be close to bust last season, but seems they have unlim resources.

Reply #28999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brisbane are bankrolled by one Eddy Groves. His company had profits of $20m+ last financial year and they'd get around the cap in a number of ways.

The points cap is in place to also limit this. I think that Adelaide can field a competitive team legally within the cap and certainly within the points cap (given that players like Maher, Holmes and Forman are worth 5, instead of 10, 7 and 6), but I don't know how active their recruiting is.

Getting Farley or Mee is crucial. Farley is younger and could be a better investment, but Mee naturalising is a strong asset. If the Hawks don't get DMac, Sixers should try for him as well as Farley.

Maher/Dmac
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/?
Cooper/(Rees if no other options)

That would compete with Brisbane, IMO. If Maher got injured, you'd lose scoring power, but DMac could still play a starter's minutes IMO.

Reply #29017 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Would it be realistic for the 36ers management to talk to Schenscher's (spelling)agent. Let's face it, Luke ain't going in the first round, and is a late second round choice at best.

Does he have a Euro passport to play in Europe as I don't believe he could play over there as an import.

Would it hurt to put feelers out to see if Luke would be interested in a homecoming????

Reply #29052 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I don't rate Pepper taht high, the sixers have proven to be a sucessful club without ever really having a great centre (bar Bradtke)
Ben pepper and Paul rees fit the bill for our team well, they hardly ever get spanked and do the job without asking for the big $ that have to go to Farley,Maher and Dusty

Reply #29109 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Maybe it's time for Phill's system to start to become more front court orientated then rely on the long range bombers. True it can pay dividends in the odd game, Bullets against Adelaide but Brisbane obviously feel that's not the way to legitimately challenge by recruiting Bradtke and, over rated true, Sammy Mackinon. If Adelaide don't change then results will remain the same at best.

As a saying goes only a fool does the same thing and expect different results!

I hope we are not going to cry poverty or year as well. It looks like built in excuses are already appearing " team on the cheap" comments will really inspire the team to achieve.

Reply #29183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754