curtley
Years ago

Sydney Kings sign Aaron Bruce

http://www.nbl.com.au/kings-shortcut/news/article/2011/may/sydney-kings-sign-aaron-bruce/

Very guard heavy team if they keep similar rotation from last year.

Topic #25632 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If Cooper, Martin, Madgen and Bruce are now signed, I can only imagine that they're not going for Ervin? None of those guys would play SF.

Reply #319015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very reliable source that sydney wanted ervin but needed 4 weeks to decide.. And sydney didnt wait and went for bruce..

Sixers are in a good position to get ervin as well are townsville and hawks!

Sixers need ervin or sad times ahead once again

Wish aaron the best after he came in as injury replacement he did a good job

Reply #319018 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

good luck to him, wold have like to see him get picked up again as out backup 1 or even our starter if $$$ had to be used else where. I think he has been unfairly picked on from time to time.

Reply #319019 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

why the hell didnt the kings resign mark dickel he saved them mid year with his ball handling direction and leadership.
hope someone else picks him up as a backup

Reply #319023 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that Dickel was very positive for them. Going young it seems.

Reply #319026 | Report this post

Dickel also seemed injury prone, although he may not have done a good pre-season, they were lower leg issues which would not get any better as he gets older.

Reply #319029 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A lotta point guards dribble around then drive to draw a foul and go to the line , while the other 4 just get bored.
Bruce passes around pretty good.
Good times ahead for Sydney Kings players.

Reply #319030 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Bruce passes around pretty good." and pretty bad! Hope they enjoy his poor shooting percentage as well

Reply #319032 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He and Cooper are both smart point guards. If they get their two imports right Sydney should be able to at least challenge for fourth spot.

Reply #319033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is actually the complete opposite of smart. Turnover machine, poor shot selection and not much of a shooter either, he's the Kings problem now.

Reply #319044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Source is that Dickel is going to be playing a coaching role with-in the Kings if he doesn't become to involved with his international duties as a coach.

Reply #319045 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I assume they are going to be running Madgen at the two spot.
Although he is perhaps undersized for this position, he does a fantastic job. What he lacks in height, he makes up for with heart and hustle.

If it is true that Madgen, Cooper, Bruce and Martin are all signed up, Id assume that they would also look at running Bruce at the two spot occassionally.

Either way, the Kings are filled with alot of combo guards.Distribution of minutes will be interesting..

Reply #319047 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

With 6ppg as starting PG heaven help them. They will be the chopping block again this season.

Reply #319055 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with you on that MACDUB...I still can't believe how many PG's they have stashed in their side - kind of the opposite to what Melbourne did last season with all their big guys...but at least the NBL is a small ball league so it may not be such a great disaster.

Reply #319059 | Report this post

sniper  
Years ago

Bruce might have been as suggested, 'a turnover machine' but at least he gave us something to watch. What did the imports last year give us? Not much ay?
I wish him well and you never know, come game time I might even still support him like most do with Schenscher. Good luck aaron

Reply #319064 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sydney does seem guard heavy. Can someone tell me who else has been signed by them?

As I recall, Khaz is signed and I think Dann too? Anyone else apart from the four guards? Scoines? Anyone heard if they want Gilder back?

Reply #319067 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Sooooooooooo many point guards.

Are they planning to have injuries again and are stocking up in the better PGs around the league.

Reply #319070 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they just want to spend a bit of time with two pgs on the floor, as NZ, Perth and Townsville did this year, Brisbane did in 07 and Sydney in 05 and 08.

They ran Dickel and Martin together a bit last season and it worked out ok.

Reply #319076 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I don't recall them running Dickel and Martin at the same time ever. If it did happen, it was very little.

Reply #319078 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was mostly very brief, but against NZ they played a heap of minutes together (approx 30-35) and the team certainly didnt suffer.

Reply #319087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, you are a complete imbecile. Fighting for fourth with three backup point guards? And a completely unproven coach? And what great imports do you think they can get at the 3-4? Seriously, get your hand off it. Most intelligent commentators understand this team is raging favorites to go back to back...for the wooden spoon.

Reply #319091 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I agree . Bruce is a 2 guard but can play some 1 but not a good decision maker.
We are in real trouble not getting Schence!!
All of those PG OR 2 guards are so small??
It looks like it will be out of us them again for that wooden spoon.

Reply #319092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to stay positive Peter.

We currently have 5 decent players signed, no imports, no starting PG, and still looking for another decent big.

Bit early to be saying we will be battling it out for bottom.

Reply #319093 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, put your name to the statement and then we can discuss it once they have finalised their roster and then again at the end of next season when we see where they finish. With two good imports I think they will be only a couple of games off fourth.

Reply #319094 | Report this post

The Special 1  
Years ago

the kings can have him

Reply #319101 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

No probs, paul, here's my name.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are going to be an unstoppable force, I'm say it's way to early to say where we'll be. 4 more players to sign, 1 being our starting point, 2 being imports, 1 probably being a big.

I'm also saying, way to stay positive for the team. The players would love to have a stadium full of fans saying at the first game "your battling it out for 8th."

Reply #319119 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well Paul is now our Mr Negative . Might be slow as usual getting team together but have a good base right PG and another scorer and strong centre.
Prefer we keep Ng and Herbert over Bruce

Reply #319123 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, what did I say that was negative?

Reply #319125 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Came from a different posts saw total negatives but wrong man Paul Sorry Will take more care at night time posting

Reply #319144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney will be SEABL team (apart from Khazzouh)

Reply #319146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sydney will be SEABL team (apart from Khazzouh)"

Oh lord! Didn't you see them play the last quarter of the season? Now it's that roster but with adjustments.

Bruce- averaged 18 points one year at Baylor, with a full pre-season under his belt should be a good starting point guard.

Cooper- Played great until he got injured.

Martin- Solid backup guard.

Madgen- Great rookie season, can be a very good player in this league.

Dann- Was Sydney's best player in games last season, great playmaker, rebounder.

Khazzouh- One of the best players in the league.

And how can you comment on how good a team will be until you seen WHO'S ON THE TEAM! They haven't even finished the roster!

Reply #319153 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Judging from the report, it would seem that Bruce is coming off the bench.

I think that's a shocker; I'd be playing Bruce as a Starter myself. And he's in a 4-man guard rotation. Assuming that Ben Knight is staying in the squad, Bruce isn't even the 6th man on the Kings squad.

Granted had he stayed here, I doubt Clarke would have put him on as a Starter, which is a shame.

Reply #319187 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Anyone who has said Graham Dann is a good player is just plain wrong. He should be deep in the bench regardless of who he plays for.

Reply #319246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt watch many games last year Curtley?

Reply #319259 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

KHAZZOUH - Knight
Import(D.Smith?) - DANN
Import(Sanders?) - Scoines
MADGEN - MARTIN
BRUCE - COOPER

Thoughts on a roster similar to this for the Kings?

Looks Competitive.

Bench to play up tempo in your face D!

Reply #319261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally unrelated but has Bruce dropped off facebook lately?

Reply #319265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why re-sign Scoines? Showed nothing last year and is having an average SEABL season. Also, Donta Smith is not a 4.

Reply #319266 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

My mail is they are or were in talks with both Ira Clarke and Gary Wilkinson as another big.

Reply #319289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Scoines was pretty decent last year as last man off the bench. Showed hustle, didn't look nervous, etc. Dann had a good season too, maybe finally playing the right position.

Bruce is their wildcard right now.

Reply #319312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They wont regret signing Aaron, he is a much better player than you guys have given him credit for...

He will be awesome for the Kings this season, and I predict a lot of 'Why didnt he play this well for us???' comments...

And yes, he isnt on FB anymore whoever asked...

All the best Aaron :)

Reply #319847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My information is that since Scoines played for the Kings his skills have gone backwards.

Reply #319935 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Bruce and Madgen are getting rolled together playing for Mavs. Great backcourt recruitment by Moose

Reply #319947 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed Bruce , a basketball kleptomaniac ,
gets a sore back and hand , as players on his team go over a long way to thank him for his assists.

Reply #319977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce's 18ppg season at Baylor was a long time ago now. As much as his boys love him, what has he done lately?

Reply #319990 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

After 18 months off was pretty decent last year. As Oscar Forman was last season, Aaron Bruce will be next season.

Reply #319992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce last season 6 ppg @ 38% & 2.7 apg.

Reply #320005 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sixers with Bruce this season = 4 wins, 11 Loss's (26%)
When Bruce has played over 20 minutes = 0 wins, 6 Loss's

With Eastern 3 wins, 6 loss's (33%) with two other NBL players in the team.

Against South on the weekend after scoring he decided to tell the south bench that he would go for 50 that game. Ended up scoring 1 more time after including 1-7 for the rest of the game. When he was on the bench his team actually had a fight back and had a chance to go on to win the game but Bruce came back on and then South won comfortably in the end. DJ scored 44 that game but didn't go racing to the Eastern bench to tell them how good he thinks he is. Good to see one of them has class at least.

Sydney can have Bruce

Reply #320008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames I think Bruce was biting back considering the treatment he got from the moment he walked in the door by the feral local crowd.

Very disappointing considering the Horsham connection to South and the fact South don't actually have a PG at all right now.

Reply #320009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kingjames whats with the vendetta against bruce?? did he sleep with your girl?? its pathetic

Who cares if he says to the south bench that he is going to score 50? thats being competitive mate.. im sure the south guys talked trash back its apart of the game. DJ should of scored 44 and 23 as eastern are easily the smallest team in the league, so any wonder DJ played great.

To call the guy unclassy is a joke as he is one of the most respectable guys you will ever meet if you have gotten the chance to know him.

What people dont know about him is he has had a number of off court problems in his 18 months out of the game and he is finnally getting back on his feet. Adelaide didnt see the best of him but i dont think he suited adelaide's playing style so i hope for his sake he can find a place where he can be happy and i know he will play hard always and i hope his talent will be appreciated.

oh and kingjames i watched most of the sixers game's this season and i can remember especially the cairns game that turned their season.. when aaron was on the court they were up 12 and got benched for the last and sixers choked. I dont think you can blame him for 11 losses mate! the sixers organisation from top to bottom sucked last season maybe blame that for the record!!

Reply #320010 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

kingjames , why didn't ya just tell us your a Bruce hater and leave it at that , instead of goosing yourself all over the place.

Reply #320011 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

That last post was most un-Camel 31 like. I only needed to read it once to understand Camel's point (and not the usual 5-6).

I'm calling pseudonym identity theft!

Reply #320014 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Plus I don't recall Camel attacking other posters.

Reply #320015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The proof will be in the pudding I guess ;)

But agree with anonymous above, Aaron had a pretty tough 18 months off, and he will play better ball this season...

Funny too, that most of you seem to think he is arrogant... He's actually a really great bloke, very down to earth and def not as bad as the wrap he seems to get here...

Reply #320024 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If you are under the magnifying glass of public curiosity , just as your every appropriate act seems heroic to some , so your every weakness seems criminal to others.
Even your appropriate acts come into question.

I is another.

Reply #320045 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce is a huge loss to the sixers

Reply #321078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is a really down to earth guy, ive looked up his past games and his actually amazing to watch; also watched his ABL for mavs and he carries that team much better then what Brad Hill does.

All this crap bashing is because you all expect him to be amazing when he isnt even giving the chance to show what his got; when playing for sixers.

Like any player give him time and the team will bond. So stop hating and wait and see what comes.

Reply #321888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754