TJ
Years ago

who do the 36ers target now

ervin, clarke?

Topic #25633 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Keep trying to snare Ervin if we can. He was exciting and brilliant last season under Gordie. I hope he remains in the NBL somewhere.

Reply #319073 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

Tom garlepp

Reply #319074 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Clark, Ervin, Williams, Barlow, Newley, Nielsen, Mills, Herbert, Wilkinson, Nevill, Ere, Kickert, Bose, Dellavedova, Maxey - anyone good who'll listen. If they can sign two really good players and one solid player they have a good team.

Easier said than done of course.

Reply #319080 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

I love basketball men in those little shorts.. yummy

Reply #319084 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

I wish I was a 36er

Reply #319086 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

we really need a go to guy dont we??

balls has shown he can do that but also relies on other things to be going his way ie delivery hot/cold etc. weigh / creek/ crosswell / ng will all chip in. alot of scoring options there but yeah, we really need someone who can do it when the heat is on. johnson is almost gonna be make or break (season-wise) for us, without schensch will have every chance. could be good with glimpses of great but there is every chance he could come on throughout the year and really establish himself.

as has been said the pg position is really important. would also take herbert. if we have ervin or mills and johnson plays well thats a super super team.

Reply #319095 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

pg and a back up c

maybe spend big on a pg import and a cheapish aussie C as a back up for Johnson?

Hold back on the second import and wait to see what is needed i reckon.

Not much changed from last season limitless offensive options but not much hussle on D?

Maybe go the AFL option and build on the younger players (Creek and Johnson) for a year and then top up for a title next season.

Still cant go past Daly as a legit PGback up. Give him a chance with cheap $ and points and wait and see.

Reply #319104 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Defense wins Championships

Sign Ira Clarke, Herbet then worry about the import PG.

Reply #319106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big call jake pretty sure breakers didn't have a great defensive team. but i do like your idea of ira clark.

clark/dj
balls
weigh/creek
herbert/ng
ervin or import/croswell

or

dj/motts
balls/dowdell
weigh/creek
sanders or gary/ng
ervin or import/croswell

Reply #319110 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

The Wollongong Hawks appear certain to unveil a new import duo in the 2011-12 NBL season.

Forward Dave Gruber and guard Gary Ervin filled the Hawks' import slots last season, but Gruber is set to play as an Australian after recently passing his citizenship test, while league MVP Ervin is at long odds to return for a second stint with Wollongong.

Ervin is at home in the US and is expected to receive lucrative offers from rich European clubs.

Rival NBL teams could make a play at the 27-year-old New Yorker, who is also keen to give the NBA another crack.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/basketball/new-imports-likely-for-wollongong-hawks/2150494.aspx?storypage=0

Reply #319113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he decided to stay we would have to b a great chance got money that didn't go to Luke. Tigers n Sydney won't need him leaves u's or crocs really. That's unless he gets more money in euroupe.

Reply #319116 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Most teams that people have posted seem to hinge around us getting Ervin.
Assuming he falls through like Schenscher has, what other options are around?
Mills being even more of a long shot.
Homicide has returned home.
Australian/New Zealander wise, there's really not much available. Tait, Dickel, anyone else?
Don't think we will be bringing Shannon back. That said, bringing back Herbert with Ng and a good centre/second import for him to distribute to could make him much more effective. Playing in a 3 PG rotation with no real shooters didn't suit his style, he definitely made Ng better before he got injured.
Blalock not likely to be returning to Townsville so could be an option if we manage to get a scorer as the second import.
Hudson wouldn't be an option hopefully.
Bringing Gilchrist back wouldn't be the worst option.
Tywain McKee got in a bit of trouble when he was last here I understand? Would be pretty perfect if he was available.
Outside of these I guess we need to look for a new option. Hasn't worked for us much of late, but doesn't mean we won't get lucky this time.

Looks like our roster this season is going to come down to our imports again. Get it right and we will be very competitive, get it wrong and it will be same old same for this team.
So far from the 10 we had at the end of last season we've lost Hill, Carter and Bruce for Weigh, Ng and Crosswell. Debateable whether we've breaken even or improved there. Marginal improvement I'd say.
We now have Shannon, Howard, Holmes and Dowdell to replace.
If we get Mottram, do we call that a break even or a win over Holmes? Team balance probably a win (having a legitimate centre back-up), skill wise not necessarily. Go for a centre import and that's obviously an upgrade.
Whoever we get for Howard you'd have to expect will be an improvement. Just wasn't a good fit.
See above for replacement for Shannon.
Dowdell pretty well fell out of the rotation at the end. If we get 3 quality players (assuming one of these is a centre import), we probably don't necessarily need to replace him.

Reply #319117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the ideal world, I'd be trying to get 2 imports, 1 good Aussie, and retain Herbert.

Out of the players listed by Paul above id go for

Ervin (or Mills)
Wilkinson
Newley (or Barlow)
Herbert

Which would give us a team of

Wilkinson/Johnson
Ballinger
Weigh/Creek
Newley/Ng/Herbert
Ervin/Crosswell

If that was too expensive and we wanted to start Johnson id try for

Johnson/Kickert (or cheap big like Mottram or Dowdell if not enough $$)
Ballinger
Weigh/Creek
Newley/Ng/Herbert
Ervin/Crosswell

Or

Johnson/Kickert
Ballinger/Maxey
Weigh/Creek
Herbert/Ng
Ervin/Crosswell

I think it would be interesting to see us go with young Aussies and grab a Bose and/or Dellavedova, but would be the most risky move as far as making play offs goes.

Johnson/Kickert
Ballinger
Weigh/Creek
Bose/Ng
Mills (or Ervin)/Crosswell/Dellavedova

Reply #319120 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Sixers i believe need at 3 quality players and be a force but if we dont get players we will have a crap team for 2011/12 season,we need get a tall player,inside import,Gary Wilkinson Ira Calrke Rick Rickert are proven NBL players,AND are free agents!!we need a point guard of Gary Ervin.Be interesting who sixers sign this week,if we dont get quality players sixers wont make finals AGAIN.i be sad

Reply #319121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be all over gilchrist if Ervin doesn't come. Gilchrist got gd handles is quick n strong n can get to the rim. Sanders who is 9 points n finish of with trying to land kickert.

Reply #319127 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

FORGET getting Mills- as if he would play for the 6ers!!!

Reply #319128 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Careful Tyrell. I tried telling them there is no chance Mills would play for them and they weren't too happy with me! The same with Newley, Barlow, Ingles etc. They aren't gonna play for Adelaide next season. They are in much greener pastures in Europe and America!

Also before anybody else suggests Ira Clark, the only reason he played in Australia last season was because he is good mates with Joey Wright and it was a favor. As Joey Wright doesn't coach the 6ers last time I checked, he won't play for you guys next season. End of story!

Whoever suggested John Gilchrist is a realist though. I like his thinking. Also how about Julien Mills? He was the starting point guard from Cairns the season before last. Made a decent impression and could possibly be get-able. Well, more get-able than some other names mentioned in this post...

Reply #319129 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

It's interesting the amount of import players who leave Australia after a good season to try and get an NBA contract. How often does that actually happen? Most just fall to the d-league and eventually move to europe or asia.

Reply #319131 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Most of the guys being listed wont play for Adelaide this year, but you have to make the approach, which the coaching stff are probably doing. It is always worth asking the question and planting the seed, moreso this year with the lockout looming.

As for Kickert, his asking price will have gone up with the good finish to the season in Poland, and he wont be as affected by the lockout as some others because he has a Euro (Dutch?) passport.

Reply #319148 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

@ @rangamitch- at least we are realistic. @paul- what you say is true- good to make the approach, but I think these guys are a few years away from coming back. Ideally if there was more money in the game here (and more support) then they would be here.

Reply #319150 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ira Clark and Gary Ervin here.. too good to be true..
to quote a phrase...
Still, mid-july , with the lockout in place
will be an interesting period , for everyone.

Reply #319151 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Barlow could well be affected by the lockout and he doesnt enjoy living in Zaragoza. Not out of the question he would return, same with Nevill though I suspect he will exhaust all options in Europe first. Nielsen is nearing the end and I think Olympiakos will make big changes this off-season, him returning is not out of the question either, if not this year then next.

Newley would surprise me if he came back but hasnt had a great 12 months which wont help his prospects as an import, but guys like Ingles, Kickert and Markovic have Euro passports so it should be business as usual for them.

Reply #319152 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754