aussieboomers4eva
Years ago

Boomers June camp squad named

A squad of sixteen has been named "to train under national coach Brett Brown in Perth from June 19-23.

The squad will be reduced to 12 for the YouYi Games series with China, which begins at Challenge Stadium on June 24. A second game will be played in Singapore two days later.

Australia and China will clash in an annual series for the next five years under an arrangement brokered by Wildcats great and four-times Olympian Andrew Vlahov.

This year's YouYi Games will form an important part of the Boomers' preparations for their three-game Olympic qualifying series with Oceania rivals New Zealand in September.

The Boomers squad does not include NBA stars such as Andrew Bogut and Patty Mills, but features an exciting mix of promising youngsters."

BOOMERS TRAINING SQUAD: *Adam Gibson (Gold Coast Blaze), Damian Martin (Perth Wildcats), Jason Cadee (Gold Coast Blaze), Ben Madgen (Sydney Kings), Clint Steindl (St Mary's College, US), Daniel Dillon (Cairns Taipans), Peter Crawford (Townsville Crocodiles), David Barlow (CAI Zaragoza, Spain), Stephen Weigh (Adelaide 36ers), Daniel Kickert (PGE Turow, Poland), Jesse Wagstaff (Perth Wildcats), Luke Nevill (Triumph Lyubertsy, Russia), Julian Khazzouh (Sydney Kings), Matt Knight (Perth Wildcats), Anatoly Bose (Nicholls State University, US), Aron Baynes (EWE Basket Oldenburg, Germany).

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/9570100/wagstaffs-time-to-shine/

I can't find it mentioned anywhere, but I thought that this was supposed to be a three game series with one AUS and one CHN game guaranteed and a third game to be played at a different city to be confirmed each year.

Anyway, despite the absence of so many of our senior players, it still strikes me as a strong squad, but I'm nervous about the outcome of the Oceania series if many more of our senior players do not make themselves available further down the track.

Topic #25665 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

It's refreshing not to see the Anderson's and Mills' or the Neilsen's or the Bogut's included.

Very nice selection there. Some quality across all positions. Looking forward to see how J-Khazz and Martin do.

Reply #319758 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting to see Steindl included - the only current college player in the squad (Bose graduated as a senior).

Still in a few guys plying their trade in US College that I would have selected over him, including team mate Dellevedova. He does provide a genuine 3-point scoring threat and is very good on defence.

My best guess is that Brown is trialling a number of guys with some mroe experienced border-line selections in to see what they can offer the Boomers at International level.

Will be good to see how Kickert, Baynes and Bose stack up against some of the NBL regulars that we already know much about.

Reply #319762 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't understand why Mitch Creek wouldn't be infront of these players Jason Cadee (Gold Coast Blaze), Ben Madgen (Sydney Kings), Clint Steindl (St Mary's College, US), Daniel Dillon (Tigers), Jesse Wagstaff (Perth Wildcats). Surely he has more potential then those players or would it be a case that he is currently touring with the Emu's and he will need a rest when he gets back?

Reply #319768 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think he has really proved anything yet. If he goes well at the U19 WCs this year he might get a look in.

Reply #319771 | Report this post

Hmm  
Years ago

Maybe Creek needs to find a jump shot first??

Reply #319773 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Don't forget Marty has his say now so u think he'd be rooting for SA!!

Reply #319774 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBL: Golden Star Boomers to play China in two-game friendly

Creek is a Victorian in any case...but it is too early for him as he has not yet done anything to warrant selection.

Reply #319790 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

What happened to Delladova?

Reply #319802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

probably a good squad in regards to the fact that 8 or 9 of our best players arent there. no bofut, anderson, mills, newley, ingles, jawai, neilson, ... trying out these young guys is the right thing to do right now. international stars may be unearthed. and it also helps the team have depth... we should have a solid squad for next olympics. who knows how good this bose kid is? Kazzouh could be a revelation internationally but has tough competition when everyones fit and in, madgen and wagstaff had solid years and are future fringe boomers, i have no idea how clint plays, and id expect adam gibson will continue to be a regular boomer.

Reply #319960 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Check out this article on the Saint Mary's Gael's website:

SMC Gaels Invited To Aussie National Team Camp

Last paragraph mentions that Delly and Patty are expected to take part in the 2nd Boomers camp following the China series.

Reply #319996 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #319997 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Just found this article about Bogut playing in the qualifing series aginst NZ, as long as BA pay his insurance as he won't be covered by the Bucks. I really think we need Bogut in the series so lets hope BA find some cash down the back of the couch.

Lockout worry for Bogut contract

Reply #320000 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nice pickup on that article which goes on to say...

"Bogut's representatives are in talks with BA about insurance, an issue that could also affect forward David Andersen and starting point guard Patty Mills, who also play in the NBA."

I would like to think that BA could come up with some cash to have all three playing - it is rare to have our real stars play at home, and with all three I think we could surely generate some extras ticket sales to help offset the cost. What would be the cost to BA of missing out on the London games after all, both in tangible and intangible terms?

Reply #320001 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will Mills and Andersen have contracts?

Reply #320002 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Insurance on a $60,000,000 contract @ 5% = $3M cost.

Reply #320003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is a FA which means no insurance needed and NO have an option on Andersen for next season which you would assume they wouldn't pick up which would make him a FA too.

Reply #320004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No Schenscher, no Loughton, no Worthington, etc.

Reply #320006 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Four rising star Basketballers get Boomers call up

The following 4 players have been called up to the Boomers camp:

- Cameron Tragardh (Melbourne Tigers)
- Rhys Martin (Wollongong Hawks)
- Luke Cooper (Sydney Kings)
- Dante Exum (AIS)

They have been called in to replace injured players Adam Gibson and Jason Cadee, as well as Julian Khazzouh, who is currently in the US.

Dante (son of Cecil) has been called up following his excellent form on tour with the AIS team in China where he has been leading the team in scoring.

This squad, whilst boasting a lot of youth and potential, is looking weaker by the minute.

Reply #320751 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tom Jervis , also , called up.
Irked by problems , Marty Clarke will have a run, also.

Reply #321062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greer & Robbins also been called up for their offensive output

Reply #321066 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My mum also got a call to join the squad, but she had to point out that whilst she virtually lived in a basketball stadium, she had in fact never played a game of hoops in her life.

Reply #321081 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

LC, you didn't mention from that article that the lone 36ers Boomers prospect Stephen Weigh was the other exclusion due to injury. Anyone know what Weigh has done?

Reply #321082 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sorry about that ;)

Not sure what his injury worries are...

Reply #321084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has a sore back! word is it's due to his now rather fat back pocket "weighing" him down! (Pardon the Pun)

Reply #321090 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Dante Exum , who at 15 years
and Tom Jervis from SBL . East Perth
A curious piece of non-news.
My son got 35points at St Clair , could've been an option.

Reply #321096 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Brown proud to be carrying on Boomers legacy

From the BA article:

Golden Star Boomers head coach Brett Brown says he is proud to be able to give something back to Australian basketball after everything it provided him.

Reply #321349 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tragardh, Exum, Jervis and Cooper were cut, leaving:

Rhys Martin
Damian Martin
Ben Madgen
Clint Steindl
Daniel Dillon
Peter Crawford
David Barlow
Daniel Kickert
Jesse Wagstaff
Luke Nevill
Anatoly Bose
Aron Baynes

Reply #321381 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Thanks LC. If a press conference happens in Perth, but no one reports on it, did it actually happen?

Reply #321389 | Report this post

I would have cut Rhys Martin, played Trigger and used Dillon as the backup PG.

Reply #321390 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We probably already had enough size in our front court with Nevill, Baynes, Kickert and Wagstaff.

In any case, it is a friendly and designed to give those on the borderline a shot at showing what they can do on the International stage.

It is very disappiointing that BA have still not posted the lineup on their website, and it is not even highlihted on the NBl.com.au website either. The only decent mention it gets from what I could quickly locate is a story run on the Perth Wildcats website!

Wildcats pair named to play for Boomers against China

Reply #321423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still can't work out how Rhy’s Martin made it, he must have photos of Brown!

I like the fact that Dillon made it as he has got game and is a good defensive stopper.

Looking at the line up he must be going to run with 1 to 4 as shooters & a big 5 man in the middle! So possibly running a similar system to the ¼ or the spurs system

Reply #321434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754