bunyip
Years ago

absolute loyalty

Who are the best players in the ABL that have never ventured anywhere else. Who are the true loyal players and do we have any?

Topic #2568 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

The Hodges boys & the Clarkes are pretty loyal to the Tigers!

Reply #28910 | Report this post

sweet cheeks  
Years ago

The bowley girls are very loyal to sturt

Reply #28911 | Report this post

sabre  
Years ago

Paul Bauer, Oscar Forman, Jason Williams.

Reply #28917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cameron Wilson

Reply #28953 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Jason Dix anyone???

Reply #28968 | Report this post

tanya Dhu Jo Hill actually all the north girls. Laura Summerton, Angela Marino, Bowleys actually all the sturt girls. Would be nice to see those two teams play in the final with real home grown talent.

Reply #28977 | Report this post

badger  
Years ago

Yes it would be good to see teams play in finals that consist of players who actually played at one team all of their life. Better than south who scab players from every other club. Might be nice if they had a junior program of their own that could develop future ABL players.

Reply #29010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

badger its thread about people who stay at their clubs, not about a beef you might have about developng players at your club.

Reply #29016 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Something Different, yes, it would be good to see a Sturt team with some home grown talent. It is certainly a rare sight these days!

Reply #29030 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

STIP,

The womens team are all players that have spawned from the grassroots of the club.

The mens team also boast 80 percent sturt juniors.

The rare sight you are referring to should be the high percentage of loyal players that the club possesses.

Reply #29031 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Currently it is, I will give you that. Wait a few years though.

How can a Club that poaches and encourages other kids to be dis-loyal to their "grassroots" Club by leaving them, be promoting Club loyalty. it is nearly laughable.

Reply #29033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

frangers and quigley for north men

Reply #29034 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

Daniel Kosmider

Reply #29035 | Report this post

sabre  
Years ago

Be careful STIP, you are treading on thin ice. I wouldn't go any further if I were you. Your comments could be construed as slander. Anonymity on the web is a thing of the past. Once again, be careful.

Reply #29039 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

It is unfair to single out one club like this, but then again, you seem to have a deep-seated problem with Sturt, so I will overlook your bias.

The club does not encourage or promote disloyalty. Ultimately, it is the players choice whether to leave their club for another.

What the club DOES promote is an environment that values ambition, development, drive, and passion for the game.

What is disappointing about your post STIP, is that basketball in general is about all these things. EVERY club strives for these things, every player strives for what they want, and if they can achieve it by moving clubs it shouldn't be seen as disloyal as much as self-seeking.

Some clubs have stronger developmental programs than others, which can be inticing for the self-serving player, the unhappy player, or otherwise.

The bottom line is, there are a myriad of reasons people change clubs. So please do not bandy these rumors of poaching around.

The solution perhaps is that the bitterness needs to stop, and other clubs need to lift their game and start looking after the needs of their players.

Reply #29043 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Sabre, get over yourself. I am only saying what a lot of people actually think about your Club.

Max, they are not rumours.

Given that I seemed to have touched a raw nerve for possibly getting too close to the truth I will not comment on this thread anymore.

Reply #29049 | Report this post

badger  
Years ago

Um anonymous, i think you got a little bit confused.. i was agreeing with the fact that it is good to see teams being successful with players they have developed since under 14's. I was using south as an example of a club that has attempted to import a premiership using players from other clubs. Surely discussing player development is related to this thread...

Reply #29053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

scott whitmore, veteran leader

Reply #29180 | Report this post

badger  
Years ago

Daniel kosmider actually started his juniors at Noarlunga City tigers, he later moved to south.

Reply #29188 | Report this post

Gypsy  
Years ago

Geoff Whitford ... HAHAHAHAH .. how many clubs has that guy been at 3 ? Norwood , South , Forestville ...

Some help ?

Reply #29189 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sturt too for woofah

Reply #29201 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Geoff also played with Adelaide Uni, but don't start bagging him. Geoff's a top bloke.

Reply #29206 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Players leave clubs for many reasons. Sometimes it not a case of them not being loyal to the club but the reverse.

Reply #29208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have Gower and Ng as their star players from other teams.

Forrestville-Sullivan, Motram

North- Kent, Hambour

West- Bell

South - Kosmider, Blight

Eastern- Trebilcock, Campbell

Southern- Hoban, Bowly

Centrals- Their whole starting five

Norwood- Foster

Woodville- Puddifoot

Thats just off the top of my headI know there are many more, but badger South are not the only ones.

Reply #29217 | Report this post

Gypsy  
Years ago

Anon...

Pudifoot?? came from Sturt ...

Reply #29218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah

Reply #29221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which club does it the most though. My pick is Forestville. Doesn't bode well for current club juniors. Considering that their senior teams recruit over the top of their juniors. If their current juniors move club are they being dis-loyal or smart?

Forestville Men

Dix - Norwood Junior
Gange - Mildura Junior
Sullivan - North Junior
Wood - Darwin Junior
Mottram - Geelong Junior
Wilson - North Junior

Forestville Women
Tredwell - North/Murray Bridge Junior
Matthews - West/Sturt Junior
Newbold - Sturt Junior
Lindsay - Noarlunga Junior
Ranford - WA Junior
Screen - Brisbane Junior
Boyton - North Junior
Smith - Mildura Junior
Martin - West/Woodville/North Junior
Fergus - North Junior
Mahony - Tamworth Junior

Reply #29222 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

STIP

Sturt have had more players leave them than any other club. But you don't hear them calling foul. No club can have all of their club juniors go onto senior basketball. And it is each persons perogative to play for the club of their choice.

Perhaps STIP you are from one of the clubs that bank rolls it's senior program by over charging and under providing for it's juniors to the point where they leave. Maybe you could help you clkub a little by coaching a junoir team and going to your clubs next AGM and asking for better opportunities for your clubs kids. ie Coaching resources, lower fee's, intergration with elite programs etc etc etc.

Reply #29224 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

sometimes there are developmental reasons why a player should consider changing clubs -usually because of an oversupply of a position or clash with coaching style or lack of confidence in a coaches player preferences. Since coaches change and the core of a team changes it is no surprise that some players move. Sometimes it works to advantage sometimes not. I can appreciate loyalty but also acknowledge the value of change for some people.

Reply #29230 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Secret Sabre, I am not from South Adelaide.

Reply #29303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754