Ammon
Years ago

Basketball Cut From SASI

Just saw this on the BSA website.

Basketball (NITP) will be cut from the SASI program as of July 1st 2011.

Topic #25697 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow looks like neil is out of a job

Reply #320275 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Without this becoming a Neil, SASI or eastern suburbs bashing session ..... can someone explain in layman's terms what this means to junior basketballers in terms of pathways and opportunities?

Reply #320278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SASI basketball in my opinion is overrated, it doesn't lead to a lot of pathways for people. I have no pity for Neil though, so much ego for a man who hasn't really done much for the game of basketball.

Reply #320279 | Report this post

Juno  
Years ago

Doesn't mean much.

Neils position is jointly paid for by BSA, SASI and BA. This funding is only a aprt of it and ready between the lines, ORS, BA and BSA will look to generate different revenue streams to pay for a similar product.

Reply #320281 | Report this post

Tamar  
Years ago

This seems to be an ignorant decision if it is correct. I thought that SASI was the employer and BSA and BA contribute to the success of the program. Would like to know what has bought about this decision.

Reply #320284 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

far out - seems unfair.

so much spending in other sporting areas.

all i ask is a relevant budget% per number of junior players %.

Reply #320285 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

doest his affect country ?

Reply #320286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well now maybe state teams won't be picked based on who attends SASI anymore!

Reply #320290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, the state government doesn't care about high performance programs, is focussed on participation and fitness. Sasi is designed for individual sports and not major team sports..... Afl isn't a sasi program and does pretty well, the federal govt. does care about high performance and I'm sure their funding is growing in this area..... The question I'd ask is if basketball is being dropped what about soccer and netball???

Reply #320301 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good post anon.

Reply #320302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Hockey, Netball, Water Polo and Volleyball are individual sports?

This Labor government has shown nothing but contempt for the sport of basketball since day one.

Breaking up the entire organisation over a $15m loan when they're giving Cricket $85m to cover their debt, giving the SANFL a new stadium despite the fact they own a facility already, gave Soccer and Netball venues at no or little cost.

And now Water Polo keeps its funding but Basketball SA loses $30k which go towards developing junior basketballers. And that's ok with everyone?

This is a joke.

Reply #320310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA and BSA blew the money and have sat idle when this likelyhood was mooted some years ago unless sasi lifted its game. Bottom line is, it is okay with the majority of the public because basketball is a non event.

Reply #320313 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Anon dif is saca pay there repayments where as BSA defaulted numerous times

So no point comparing

Reply #320319 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

my vote will be elsewhere next election

Reply #320320 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

there is an article on teh advertiser website.

Reply #320321 | Report this post

vnbozza  
Years ago

How big are the SASI squads these days?

Around 17 odd years ago, I believe it was 40 odd (mixture of full and half scholarships and boys and girls) - and there was the Buffalo's on top of that as well.

From that era - only 2 males made it successfully in the NBL, but probably 4 or more girls made it into the WNBL - so going on those percentages, hard to argue that SASI is huge success if they are trying to develop talent for Olympics or NBLWNBL.

Apart from Neil finally moving on, it is a very sad day for Basketball in Adelaide and Australia, how many wake up calls does Basketball need in this country to get its act together before it hits rock bottom and other sports take over.

Surely SASI could have looked at halving its squads, ditching the USA trip, or looking for outside investment to save it before it came to this.

Reply #320325 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

vnbozza,

you might want to rephrase that to "how many wake up calls does basketball need in this state..."

Reports from Vic, WA and Qld is that the game is doing well, experiencing growth etc. Both Vic and WA have had press in the last year saying the game is either the biggest or one of the largest team sports played in those states.

Reply #320326 | Report this post

vnbozza  
Years ago

Hi HO

I am aware of the growth in other States - but not of any in this State - happy to be proven wrong though

Reply #320327 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

SA could learn a lot by looking at the Victorian way of doing things

Reply #320328 | Report this post

Donie  
Years ago

I would say,

Newley, Foreman, Holmes, Hill, Madgen. All made NBL

Marino, Summerton, Phillips. All Olymppians. 1 of whom was the 3rd leading scorer at an olympics. Thats not bad.

Reply #320330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to separate a few key ideas...

The sport has experienced growth - in participation. There's a big difference between growth in participation and cutting an elite program that is part of the junior pathway.

Reply #320336 | Report this post

The structure of basketball here is not conducive to success. There are 2 or 3 really big and successful clubs. In the main they have several teams per age group and in some cases their second side is good enough to play div 1. The smaller clubs who have the right to field div 1 teams do, but in some cases they are out of their depth. Consequently, junior basketball, especially in the girls, is void of weekly competition with large wins for top sides commonplace. Thus junior district basketball is non developmental across the board.

There is no regulatory direction from BSA that would rectify this unsatisfactory lopsided situation.Zoning is not something present kingmakers are in favour of as it threatens establish networks. Despite this, zoning remains ultimately the last resort for an ailing comp especially in light of SASI's impending demise.

Under the present scheme the strong clubs blame the weak clubs for myriad reasons and the smaller clubs cry foul every time a talented youngster jumps ship to experience success.The possibility that only four to six clubs will survive in S A is more and more likely. However, there is not the infrastructure to support that model and no six court facility in the state.

Sturt, for the most part has been the key successful entity in SA. SASI has utilized the expertise of the club's coaches and because Neil was a Sturt mentor and had two sons coaching there, SASI basketball received a bit of criticism.
That criticism has continued as it is seen as an insular and closed shop to the wider basketball community with very little done to alter general perception. State coaches seemed to be jobs for the boys literally and the perception has damaged the organization. There is often a distance between perception and reality but the perception persisted..

SASI basketball had almost twenty years to ensure that every club had representation at SASI but it did not.
SASI had twenty years to ensure female coaches were fostered and promoted, it once again failed this exclusivity test.

BASA may have a new title in BSA but it has done precious little of note to promote basketball in SA. The senior comp the ABL is a mystery to most South Australians who wouldn't know it existed. There is no publicity save bad or damaging publicity about basketball in SA. BSA want more people playing and sanctioned a western suburbs disaster that has yet to fully play out and if they are going to be the chief body responsible for providing pathways for elite juniors, buckle your seat belt 'cause we are in for one hell of a bumpy ride.

Reply #320342 | Report this post

CB4  
Years ago

The SASI program was established to create a High Performance pathway for elite junior basketballers in SA, regardless of what club they came from! It's not about ensuring everyone club is represented with SASI invitations, if you dont have a high level basketball skill set you shouldnt be invited out to SASI. If this means some clubs dont have representation at SASI, so be it! The same goes for Female Coaches at SASI, if you're not suitably qualified coach, Neil will not require you at SASI to assist as a coach. No coach should be given special treatment based on gender. People seem to have wide & varied opinions on Neil but it cant be denied that he is still the best junior development coach in SA by a long way. Yes at time his people skills arent the best but look at the juniors he has developed in the last 20 years, i think his record will speak for itself!

Reply #320358 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

vnbozza, I think we agree mate.

I think basketball in SA is clearly in trouble, as a sport. I think it needs a wake-up call - but as a country I don't think thats the case.

In the past I have always been impressed with how SA punched above its weight, producing good numbers of elite ballers despite a relatively small playing base - particularly female players. There was a truly great era i thought running from the late eighties right through till the middle of this decade.

it seems now though that this has ebbed, and that the sport is floundering in SA - evident I think because of the disrespect government shows it.

Jack Toft says you should look at the Vics. The Vics are succcessful, but IMO only because of enormous numbers - not because of how efficiently it uses those numbers.

Reply #320359 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Soccer SASI program is cut as well.

The rumours indicate that Adelaide United will field a Seniors (their already contract U20 youth team), Reserves and U19s (both ex SASI squads) in the SA Super League from 2012.

Reply #320361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Changing your vote to the Liberals isn't going to change anything.

Changing the way basketball is run in SA will. Virtually nothing has changed in 30 years - same competition structure, same venues (minus one or two), same way of doing things and same failures.

Reply #320382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CB4, SASI has produced some fine female players. If it was an organisation of any merit, you would think that some of that talent over twenty years might have been utilised. Why doesn't the South Australia Sports Institute basketball section have any of its past players involved in coaching the girls? Why doesn't S A have female coaches involved as head coaches of state teams?

As for your point about clubs/SASI coaches and the skill set. That's the point.
Every district club should have skilled coaches or they shouldn't be in district clubs or the the clubs should lose their district status. Who oversees the coaches in district clubs and ensures the skill set? Are kids paying district fees and getting church coaches? Does BSA know or care that mums and dads deliver their district basketball program in a host of clubs?

It is the whole system that needs overhauling not just the overdue removal of basketball from SASI.

District basketball should be Div 1 and 2 only.
Below that should be sub district attracting lower fees.

District basketball should have level 2 coaches at Div 1 and level 1 accreditation at div 2.

Each club should provide at least one coach for elite junior development and the training of these coaches should be the state coaching directors responsibility.

Female coaches should be encouraged and nurtured into the sport at district and elite junior level.

The structure of the comp needs to be addressed and the distances involved rationalised as distances involved are real issues.

Is there a plan for a multi court stadium. Can Southern or Centrals be better utilised?

If 95% of juniors playing today will never play higher than ABL why the hell isn't the ABL promoted and advertised as an elite state senior competition. Why doesn't BSA have previews up at least by Tuesday of each week and reviews of past games posted regularly and which are comprehensive? Why doesn't BSA see that players drop off especially women as they get to 18's plus?

Reply #320384 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

ABL previews and reviews? How about even just the scores in the paper? Games Commissioners used to have to ring the scores through on the night. Is that still the case? I haven't been able to find the scores Sundays or Mondays in the paper for ages, however some coutry results are there!!

Reply #320402 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Sorry, country results

Reply #320403 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If this doesnt ring alarm bells then nothing will -BSA ARE THE PEAK BODY
TAKE SOME OWNERSHIP
SHOW SOME LEADERSHIP
384 spot on

Reply #320416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There seem to be a lot of experts here that know the ins and outs of the running of basketball in SA. I suggest you speak to your local president or executive to validate your knowledge and perhaps even volunteer to assist with the improvement of basketball.

Firstly BSA is not BASA - BASA almost destroyed basketball due to mismanagement. BSA are picking up the pieces and gradually restoring some financial balance.

Multi court stadia: I wonder if the involvement of BSA and clubs in the third party reviews of state and Port Adelaide?enfield facilities shows some movement forward in this area.

I am sure there will be something established to replace SASI and run by BSA. Let's not forget that soccer was also another sport cut and this is a much higher profile sport globally than basketball. Given we have been cut it may be the opportunity to look at how the equivalent to SASI functions to hopefully improve on the SASI "model"

CB4 mentioned Neil is the best developer of basketballers in the state. This may or may not be true - the experts are better able to answer that. However is he the best in Australia or have we let good people move interstate who could just as easily run the program and add some fresh ideas. What is more worrying is where is the development of new coaches to replace the likes of Neil and senior coaches at district clubs. Are we doing enough here to retain, develop and mentor the new generation of coaches.

Reply #320420 | Report this post

Rooster  
Years ago

The broader issue (basketball included) is what has the "Family Guy" and his government delivered to junior sport in SA.
They're too busy worring about the Adelaide oval and the $'s that will cost to worry about junior sport and volunteers.
At all levels of government, there is lip service to kid's and sports, so we shouldn't be surprised at cuts in SASI - after all, seven sports got cut to save 71% of one parliamentarian's office - go figure!

Reply #320466 | Report this post

Coach 5  
Years ago

Neil will continue to head up whatever the next tier development program is as I would imagine that he is employed by BSA in that role. He may however take an opportunity to have his contract terminated and be paid out if not happy with things, but with his history I can't see that happening.
SA needs a multiple court stadium like Dandenong desperately....and not out in gawler but in the gardens area in the city - maybe where those old netball courts are.

Just want it noted that SA country basketball have been a stand out thanks to the work of Jason bald and bert bargeus. They are not just financial but also maintain a good opportunity for juniors to get a state gig. They have also had a number of female coaches come through their program in the last few years. Progressive for a bunch of hicks don't you think?

Reply #320725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach 5: no I don't think so. They ride on the coat tails of others and always have. SA doesn't need a country association. The better country players play district in metro. SAC's record is one of underachievement and the men you mentioned are far from white knights.
BSA needs a kick in the rear and a clean out but SAC needs closing.

Reply #320728 | Report this post

Coach 5  
Years ago

You're right with the better players in sac play district, but that's because BSA don't support a talent identification pathway for country athletes without these athletes committing to district competition. And the problem with that is it costs 5 times amount for a country kid to achieve the same success as a metro only kid...all because there is no recognition of country operated programs.
Country Kids should get the chance to play in district teams to develop their game, but it would be a lot easier if district clubs had more consideration to the costs of weekly committment. Clubs are only in it for their own glory and not the overall development of the sport and athletes.
That's what need to change in this rare opportunity, not the wiping out of an organization that actually services the affiliates, unlike BSA which have the balls to charge $5 to every country player and yet deliver nothing of value.

Reply #320736 | Report this post

white99  
Years ago

"thanks to the work of jason bald"

You just destroyed your credibility right there.

SAC results are absolutely terrible right now, and the responsibility for that lies in large part with Jason.

Problem is that a lot of the country hicks never get the chance to be exposed to higher quality coaches, so they don't know any better. Ask some of the SAC players who also play district what they think of him...that might set you straight

Reply #320741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jason bald... wow
have a look at sa country's results on the development tours this year e.g. albury and port mac
the only team to make a final was the u/14 girls who lost to nsw country by 15 plus in the final...
i agree country basketball is not adequately supported but i dont not believe jason bald is positively contributing to the success of SAC basketball...
if he was y would he insist on having the teams run zones on the development tours, when there is an agreement for development purposes between nsw country, vic country and the other state associations that for devlopment of better basketball zone defensive will not be used at these tours....
he is trying to get results...
its not working...
at the development tours... at nationals... nothing....
SAC needs help big time...
as im sure vic and nsw country do as well

Reply #321056 | Report this post

SP33  
Years ago

The SA Country Program under Jason's guidance has piggybacked on the good work done by the District Clubs who have developed the good SA Country players. The SA Country program & the High Performance Pathway program offered does nothing to develop SA Country players, it is only a money making opportunity for SA Country. The problem with the SA Country program is that they continously slug the same families finacially with their programs. Jason is only continuing in his SA Country role for the glorification of his own massive ego, he is not there for the SA Country kids & their development. I'm gobsmacked that Jason is still in his current role after his poor behaviour at the U-18 Nationals in Tassie recently!

Reply #321059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happened at tasssie??

Reply #321060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have never seen Jason ask any one to play zone. You people need to get a life. Since he has taken over, I think SAC has won two medals in the girls at Nationals. How many did Kinsmen and Goodenough win??????

Reply #321067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah but what colour could they have been with the right direction and discipline

Reply #321072 | Report this post

Rabbitt  
Years ago

Bald got the opportunity to ride of the back of Kinsmans work. Look at the current U14 groups and you will see the the implemented programs are failing.

Silver in Adelaide in U16 Boys. With Dodman and Joradn Keys.

In Knox, Both U18 Teams made top 4 with the girls getting bronze.

Kinsman had better results.

Reply #321074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could say alot about SAC some good some bad. My child is out of the program and achieved well but not one ounce of the credit would go to Jason Bald. It's a job to him and nothing more. When you have kids playing at country state champs and he doesn't turn up because it's a public holiday and won't get paid for it, you realize there is no passion involved. Most if not all the coaches do it for free and spend countless hours dedicated to the program and their kids, this guy is a deadshit and should be sacked. He's a damn disgrace. Wow years of pent up anger at this tosser.

Reply #321075 | Report this post

BLTontoast  
Years ago

The above posters regarding the two B's at SAC have inadvertently explained why the demise of SASI involvement will change little in basketball in this state.
Jobs for life is synonymous with S A basketball and from such a base it's difficult to foreshadow improvement.
It is almost impossible to lose your position in either organisation at top end and the miniature size of basketball here means that power-brokers dictate success with singular vision.
Across our state in all but a very few country associations the same king-makers have controlled the sport and not necessarily for its betterment.
It is essentially a feudal system.
BSA will seamlessly move their junior development to it's national program for junior development with the same people involved and the only thing missing will be the SASI tops.
There has never been a better time for BSA to stand up and combine all groups into a singular basketball body that takes responsibility for all players across the state and ends the meaningless and inferior body known as SAC.
BSA could run the same clinics across the state , provide infinitely better coaches to run them and run at a profit.
A two tier basketball organisation in a state with 1.4 million is patently absurd.
BSA should also advertise nationally for a head state coach to run a renewed, inspirational program for junior development as twenty years is long enough for one man to do the job. All the knowledge in the world is useless if it's communicated poorly.Being afraid of change is an environment for failure, ask the crows.
I've finished piddling in the wind for changes that wont happen but all South Australians with junior basketball development close to their heart should be asking why.

Reply #321087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You people dont understand much. SAC is owned and run by the affiliated country associations. None of them want to be involved with BSA.

Reply #321105 | Report this post

BLTontoast  
Years ago

anon 105, You don't think that might be part of the problem?

Reply #321108 | Report this post

Metro  
Years ago

I would suggets that the Metro clubs would be happy if the grants that went to country, stayed in themetro area considering metro funds the body that gives free money to country.

Reply #321112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country want nothing to do with BSA but have no issue voting on the Council & Commission of BSA.

And have no issue taking funding from BSA.

Or having lower cost insurance because of the BA/BSA fund.

But don't you dare make us fit into BSA's governance, just let us continue to destroy Metro basketball.

Reply #321126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

amen to that

Reply #321127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I ask Rabbit...what has Kinsman got to do with the Knox Results?.As far as I know he has never coached there or has nothing to do with their program.The size of the association may help(600 domestic teams with an additional 64 representaive teams

Reply #321145 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

if you are talking Knox in Vic its not 64 rep teams only 40 and where did you get the 600 domestic teams - is that including mid week senior domestic - because 600 junior teams means 300 games @ 50 minute schedule in 23 courts at hand = 11hours to complete a days games = I dont think so

Reply #321147 | Report this post

Rabbitt  
Years ago

At the Knox U18 Championships.

Cant remember the year, rather the venue.

Reply #321152 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

U18 nationals at Knox was 2002.

Reply #321158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kinsmen got the opportunity to ride on Goodenoughs back

Reply #321174 | Report this post

Hydra 94  
Years ago

The SASI program is desperate for a change of personnel. I don't dispute Neil's knowledge of the game. He has certainly been helpful in the development of my daughter's skill sets and style of play. The opportunity to train every week with the 'best of the best' can not be disputed.
What can be called in to question is Neil's deplorable delivery of the program to the athletes. To have the kids playing well within their capabilities to avoid the humiliation of being dragged out individually in front of the group and 'hung out to dry' is not ideal. I would much rather the kids be encouraged to take some chances, play with some style,DARE to be bold. Only within this framework will real progress and development be made.
Perhaps some better communication skills with the parents would also be appreciated. A head down mumble passing by the group of taxi drivers ( parents ) does not inspire us to keep our kids motivated and excited to be attending each week.
In comparison Simon Pritchard's style is a breath of fresh air, aggression,style and some compliments coming the girls way.

Reply #321583 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

NITP/SASI is a complete waste of money and should be cut. Basketball Australia in general is a club for wealthy back slapping buddies and it definately is who you know and not what you know.

Reply #321713 | Report this post

country1  
Years ago

cut some slack to the SAC, it does provide development for quality country kids who cant AFFORD to play metro, as a parent whose child does play metro the cost is immense travelling 4 hrs return for trainings and games is a struggle both physically and financially.

Reply #321983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754