Mystro
Years ago

Mavs Guard Arrested

A guard for the NBA championship winning Dallas Mavericks has been granted bail after an overnight arrest for public intoxication.

DeShawn Stevenson, 30, was arrested at an apartment complex in Irving, Texas, when residents reported an intoxicated person walking in the area.

Authorities said Stevenson did not known where he was and failed sobriety tests.

The often-controversial shooting guard played a key role in the Mavericks' championship run, starting 18 of 21 playoff games and averaging 7.0 points in the finals series against the Miami Heat.

He took potshots at Heat superstar LeBron James throughout the finals, accusing him of "checking out" of a crucial game and being "classless" for mocking finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki.

Found on NZ Herald Online

I'd be partying if I won a NBA Championship as well lol

Topic #25715 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

As soon as i saw the title of this post i knew it would be stevenson

Reply #320613 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Stay classy DeShawn you tool.

Reply #320615 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I was wondering if someone from Mt Barker was a naughty boy

Reply #320618 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

supposedly jason terry walked out of there exit interviews yesterday wearing a dressing gown smkoing a cigar and talking smack to everyone. man i hate dallas and they said the heat were classless lol

Reply #320623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be wearing a dressing gown and smoking a cigar as well if I had just won the NBA finals haha

Reply #320625 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I guess when you have been in the league as long as Jason Terry has without a title, when you finally win one, it's kind of a big deal lol.

Reply #320628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a difference between celebrating a championshipm and shitting on your home town on national television, walking around with shirts that brag about your material wealth, dancing in front of another team's bench and calling everyone that doesn't like you miserable losers.

The Heat are the bullys who finally got what they have coming to it.

Reply #320633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was drunk and didn't know where he was. Not sure why this is a big deal... Not as if he was drunk behind the wheel or something dangerous

Reply #320636 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I agree anon 320636, it all sounds pretty harmless, there's no suggestion that he was behind the wheel or abusing people or pissing in the street or anything.

Almost makes you wonder whether the cops didn't recognise him and just saw a big mean looking black dude with tats in a wealthy neighbourhood and arrested him just in case (although I'm certain he would have let them know who he was and what he'd just done pretty early on!).

Reply #320645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cuban said they were gonna party! YEAH DMAVS!

Reply #320647 | Report this post

Hogwash 26  
Years ago

JA, the dressing gown was a gift from Coach Carlise as Jet used to wear one all the time until Carlise confiscated it during the season as he didn't believe Jet was serious when he wore it. As for cigars, isn't it almost a right of passage these days????

Reply #320648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anti Mav haters posting here are obvious clueless to just how massive winning an NBA title is in the USA. Trust me wearing a robe and having a cigar is harmless. Atleast they have some colourful character about them, and as for Deshawn, a non issue for mine. Surely theyd just get him home and leave it at that. I figured he mustve have urinated in public or something but this is weak.

Reply #320652 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Let the guys have their momment, who cares how drunk he was as long as wasn't breaking any serious laws like taking their talents down to South Beach

Reply #320664 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Just remember its illegal to be drunk in public in the usa, public being defined as a non alcohol allowed venue. So really this is a non issue since most australians have happily walked around drunk. Im sure the residents wouldnt have reported him if he wasnt a large black male though.
I was "stopped" walking home one night and told to get a cab since if they saw me again I would be arrested for it. Having an accent saved my ass from this stupid fuckin law!

Reply #320668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so when was miami the first team to celebrate hitting a big shot and when was it ever the wrong thing to do??? i reckon there was probably 3 or 4 times that dallas celebrated infront of miami's bench. in game 5 stevenson walked all the way to the foul line in front of miamis bench celbrating after hitting a couple of 3's and there was a timeout called and no one ever said anything about that

how were the heat bullys when it was dallas that were the ones talking smack all series i didnt see miami ever come out and talk smack about dallas at all.

i bet if miami won the championship and lebron or wade walked around with a dressing gown on and was talking smack i bet everyone would blow up about it and say he is arrogant and throwing back in everyones faces.

people need to stop hating on miami and move on with the fact that miami have lebron, wade and bosh.

Reply #320681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, someone else up further gave crap to Dallas, hence why I jumped in.

Dallas never threw itself a championship party last July before playing a game, never said "it was going to be easy", and never said they will win the next 6 or 7 championships.

Reply #320682 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon 681, how could you possibly defend the Heat saying they were not the arrogant ones. Let me remind you of the stuff the Heat has done:

the decision show
the big introductory party where they guaranteed fans multiple championships
LBJs post game comments about how people are going to wake up tomorrow with the same problems, and his reference that he thinks God didn't want him to win.
The manner in which LBJ and Wade mocked Dirk by fake coughing
Once again LBJ didn't shake hands with Dallas

don't know what Dallas did wrong..IMO they were extremly classy.
Mark Cuban kept his mouth shut the whole playoffs. Rick Carlisle was extremely classy as was Kidd, Marion etc

Reply #320686 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

The Decision "show" had nothing to do with Miami, that was LBJ and ESPN's doing.
LBJ shook hands with and hugged Kidd and told him that "if he had to lose to anyone, he was glad it was him", and probably would've done so with Dirk if he'd been on the floor at the time too.

As for Stevenson and Jet, I wouldn't have shook their hands either. Both just as big tools as LBJ. Jet with his "faith in god" shite really annoys me.

Reply #320689 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Speed44, the Heat would have known Lebron's choice a while before the Decision.

LBJ said about how he woke up in the morning and made his decision right at the 11th hour, but that is BS.

I know Stevenson is an idiot,point taken.
But who are you to judge whether or not Jet is a truly religious character.
Whats to say he isn't a devout religious person, who really has 'faith in god'

Your just annoyed the Heat didn't win.

The Heat were the most arrogant franchise..How could you not see that? Id say guaranteeing your fans 'muliple championships' is quite arrogant.
The arrogance stems from Pat Riley IMO..Remember in 06 when the Heat won it..He guaranteed to Heat fans that they would win it again the season after.= FAIL

Face it, it was Good vs Evil and Good prevailed.

The Heat thought everything would come to them naturally. They had a belief that "In the end everything will be alright"

Reply #320692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miami are really easy to dislike and there fans both here and abroad are complete bandwagon types that are blind to the realities that there 2 and a half star players are not doing much for the next generation of kids that are looking up to them. Dallas did everyone a favour and won that series and proved team basketball still rules star power.

I used to love LBJ at the Cavs but he has become a real arrogant individual, and he hasnt one anything the really counts in the NBA. They have just enough ego issues in Miami this nucleus as talented as it appears may never get it done.

Reply #320693 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yes, Jet is a religious person, I admit that, that's what annoys me. He hit his shots because "he had faith in god", it shits me to tears. It wasn't because he's a good shooter or his team mates got him good shots etc....I hate that about religious types, thanking "god" for nothing.

And I am not a bandwagon fan Anon, I have been a Heat fan since the Steve Smith days, and have stuck with them during some pretty horrendous times.

Of course, no other team, of the MANY that were after Bosh and the other douchebag, would have been "arrogant" if they got them, would they?

Reply #320714 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

The "faith in gawd" thing is just part of the American cultural shtick for those guys. I don't know Jason Terry personally and maybe he is actually a devout adherent of some religion or other, but on the whole I don't think it usually means much when those guys talk that way. I'm still waiting for a player to publicly thank God for a crushing loss, seeing as he causes that as much as he causes the wins! :)

Reply #320718 | Report this post

Yep  
Years ago

You are showing a lack of understanding.
When a person of faith who is a sporting professional thanks God, they are not saying that Gold made the shot's go down or made them win.

They are simply acknowledging there creator and placing God first which is what being Christian is all about.

It is acknowledging that is not all about them but there is a higher being of whom they place there faith.

Dont take things so literally and hate on people of faith

Reply #320719 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Pretty sure Kidd went to "The Big 3" and told them they will be champions and all that, lebron didn't approach him...

Stevenson was celebrating a huge turn in the game like anyone did in the 90s... If anything it added some more excitement to the game, etc etc

Lebron showed no heart or class at the end

Mavs didn't talk any real trash during the playoffs. If anything they where probably one of the least vocal, especially thanks to Cuban shutting up

If anything I'm surprised that Cuban didn't talk trash at the end of the game to both Miami and Stern

Reply #320738 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

We only hear what the media wants us to hear.
If they want Lebron James to be the villain, that is how they will portray him to us.
They were prob all talking smack to each other on the court as they are all highly paid athletes with ego's, I know Marion was talking the whole game to ever he was guarding and you can bet he wasn't alone.

Reply #320745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what do you mean the mavs didnt talk trash all series???? i reckon i hear terry come on the radio and say "lebron james cant gaurd me for the whole series" now is he saying that he is better then derrick rose who lebron shut down in the series before???

stevenson was in the news everyday saying crap about miami and lebron how can you say they didnt talk smack through the whole series???

i think he said after game 4 "lebron checked out"

people are just hearing what the media want them to hear.

so when dwade coughed the media hiped it up something cronic and turned it into something that it shouldnt have been.

yes miami probably shouldnt have done that big show to introduce the players. but they did the same thing with shaq and no one every battered an eyelid. shaq also said he would bring championships to miami and no ever said anything about that after the first year that they lost in the eastern conference finals to detroit.

people are just hating on lebron cause he did that stupid show and that he didnt go to there team.

alot of people have said he should have gone to chicago and played with derrick rose. whats the difference between playing with rose and playing with dwade??? so why still all the hate???

and all the hate on bosh calling him a half a star??? he outplayed KG in the boston series and he killed boozer in the chicago series so i think bosh has doen enough so all the hate can stop for him dont ya recckon.

people need to move on with the fact that these guys are playing together and will probably be back in the finals again next year.

Reply #320760 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree with Anon. Miami aren't the bad guys of the league, they are just another franchise trying to win championships. If NY get say Chris Paul, are they bullies and bad people?

Reply #320769 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

The thing with LeBron and Wade is they're the coolest kids in school, they walk around with a swagger 24/7, they play like they’re kings of the world and possess natural abilities that the vast majority of NBA players can’t touch. LeBron in particular is possibly the most gifted player to ever play the game, but he seems more interested in being cool and promoting his youtube cartoon series on twitter than actually winning a championship.

So when they chose to gang up and make fun of the softly spoken gangly white guy who has the unfortunate looks of a 7 foot serial killer that was never going to go down well. On top of The Decision, the Welcome to Miami party, the fact two champions chose the easy route of joining forces rather than competing with one another and the theatrical celebration in front of the Dallas bench when Wade hit the 3 to go up 15 in game 2 this just came across as an example of arrogant bullies making fun of the nerd.

JET and DeShawn talking smack is a totally different beast. These guys are not superstars of the league; they’re (good) bench players who would be lucky to find themselves in the league’s top 30 or 40, so when they start shooting their mouth off it’s funny. When Stevenson starts talking smack about LeBron, a player so vastly superior, it’s ridiculous and hilarious (and super satisfying for anyone who wanted to stand up to a bully).

The whole series was a classic underdog story, a team with 2 of the 5 best players on earth and another regular all star versus a team with one genuine superstar then a MASSIVE gap to the next best (Marion perhaps? Since when has Shaun Marion been the second best player on a championship team?). As a neutral observer I found it impossible NOT to barrack for Dallas, this was their window, things will change next year and I’d be extremely surprised if they even make the finals - Miami on the other hand I expect to win everything next year, and quite possibly for several years beyond.

But for now it feels like the universe makes sense.

Reply #320781 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Nice Billo. Bill Simmons couldn't have said it better!

Reply #321156 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754