DB5
Years ago

Best international players to play NBA

Just reading around the internet, and found an article on SLAM with footage of Dirk and other great international players to go to the NBA.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/media/slam-tv/2011/06/videos-best-intl-players-ever/

So I was thinking of an all time starting line up of international players and came up with this :

Hakeem Olajuwon
Tim Duncan
Toni Kukoc
Manu Ginobli
Steve Nash

I cannot fit Dirk in there yet at PF as Duncan has the titles.

2nd team:
Patrick Ewing
Dirk
Dominique Wilkins
Drazen Petrovic
Tony Parker

mentions : Yao Ming, Manute Bol, Dikembe Mutumbo, Pau Gasol, Rik Smits.

Topic #25717 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

Detlef Schrempf - all-star, 6th man of the year, started on the 94 and 95 Sonics teams.

Reply #320653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a difference between foreign born players and International Players...

Hakeem/Ewing/Duncan/Wilkins played for the USA at some point, so they aren't really international.

Manu and Parker are. So were Sabonis, Petrovic, Divac and Radja and Kukoc. Dirk and Nash are.

If Sabonis was never injured, there's no telling how good he could have been.

Reply #320657 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

surely you cant count Hakeem, Timmy D, Ewing or Nique as international as they have all played for the USA?!?

Reply #320658 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sorry doc, how did I forget Schrempf?
Knock 'nique out of the second team for Schrempf then.

anon, foreign born = international to me. Forgot about Sabonis as well, but he was broken down by the time he went to the USA.

Reply #320660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

half those players aren't even international players dude, they played for the US

Reply #320661 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the criteria is where they grew up. An international player could get naturalised and play for the US, that doesnt make him a product of the US.

At first thoughts my team would be Yao, Nowitzki, Ginobili, Petrovic, Nash but there are so many great players it is very hard to narrow them down without giving it a lot of thought.

Reply #320665 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

It's like saying Kyrie Irving is the best Australian Point Guard right now. He's American.

Reply #320666 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Guys, I just went with the criteria that SLAM did, feel free to make your own list if you don't agree.

Jesus, if MJ went to live in Afghanistan for the next 5 years and made a comeback, would he be Afghan's greatest player?

Reply #320673 | Report this post

My team would be -

C - Sabonis
PF- Dirk
SF- Ginobili
SG- Petrovic
PG- Nash

2nd team -

C - Yao
PF- Pau Gasol
SF- Schrempf
SG- Marciulionis
PG- Parker

Reply #320676 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Oscar Schimdt (sp?) best non-NBA player ever. Played for Brazil and led them to a big victory over team USA back in the day,
IMO he is one of the greatest non-USA player of all time..people may call me crazy but check his stats..it's amazing

Reply #320684 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

I would have Gaze up there with Schmidt.

If Gaze was given the opportunity to shoot EVERY shot each time down the floor I am sure he could have mathced Oscars numbers.

Reply #320685 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

C - Yao
PF- Dirk
SF- Schrempf
SG- Petrovic
PG- Nash

2nd team -

C - Mutumbo
PF- Pau Gasol
SF- Stojakovic
SG- Ginobili
PG- Parker

I did'nt include Sabonis because he was never at his peak when he came to the NBA. From what I read some of his delay was due to the Cold War and the politcs that surronded it. I was going to include Smits in the 2nd team but gave the edge to Mutumbo, Smits was underated in my opinon. Also left out Kirlenko partly because his carrer has faded quite quickly. The word on Kucock is that even though he won 6th man of the year and was awesome for a 2nd round pick other basketball experts thought Kucock should of done better in the NBA and not being able to play point forwaed more often was to his detriment. Vlade divac and Rony Seikaly also deserve honourble mention.

Reply #320688 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

On Hakeem. Most of his career was played before he repped the USA (96 Olympics?). He is an international player - period!

I don't care if towards the end of his career he played for the dream team... Irrelevant for mine. Even today he still talks like Mr. Ecko - case closed.

Reply #320694 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

DB5, you can't fit Dirk in the first team when he is possibly in the top 15 players to ever play the game? please!

Please don't bother posting crap like this again, it's plain insulting for those like us whom have respect for the game and for greatness. To put it simply, Dirk is a freak of nature!

And for that criteria crap, didn't Duncan win all those rings playing centre!

Reply #320696 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I thought Robinson was Centre for the first two of Timmy D's titles? I think you could play Dirk as a small forward, and he was much better then Kukoc as a player. Nique was much better of a player then Kukoc as well, I would even go so far as to put Schrempf ahead of Kukoc. Just wondering why there is no love for Yinka Dare?

Reply #320702 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Dominique doesn't qualify and Ewing didn't play basketball while he was in Jamaica so they shouldn't be on the list.

Top 5 NBA players developed entirely overseas:

Dirk,
Ginobili,
Parker,
Pau,
Bargnani.

Reply #320705 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Replace Bargnani with Yao.

Reply #320706 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How long until Bogut starts getting a mention in consideration for teams like this do you think? Obviously not there yet, but he is heading in the right direction.

Reply #320709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha clasifying Nique as an international and even Nash (north america) muet point when they are in the mix for mine!

Reply #320711 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Guess that means that JoJo English was the NBL version of Dirk Nowitzki.

Reply #320713 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

711 - Ofcourse Nash isn't American. Just cos Canada is close to America doesn't mean he's at all American. Would you consider yourself a New Zealander because its in the same continent?

Nash is obviously considered an International player and would be in my starting 5.

Reply #320721 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Besides Nash was born in Sud-Afrika...

Reply #320723 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Is Timmy D Canadian?

& Ewing?

Reply #320724 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Okay, a couple of quick explanations.
I have listed the players that were born outside of the USA that I thought were the best. This is what I have classed as an international.

I have also given more value to a player with multiple championships than I have to a player that has not won. This is because IMO this is what all of the BEST players compete for.

Celtic Green, I put Kukoc in the 1st team due to the 3 titles, and also I thought he was a very underated player. However I will admit Bulls bias and concede a swap for Schrempf (almost a push I think).

A, Dirk has 1 ring, Timmy has multiple. That is why I put Duncan in the 1st team.
I am sorry you did not like the team I listed, or the crap that I posted. Feel free to never read a post of mine again, after you said Dirk is top 15 all time, I know that I will not be reading yours.

Reply #320732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirk is clearly top 15 of all time, these finals just proved that.

Reply #320733 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

DB5, the title states 'Best international players',it does not say most 'Titles or players by criteria', that is what irks me the most.

I was not having a personal go at you, but it does sound absurd when you cannot even name Dirk in that team. And since when was basketball really played by position these days? Dirk can play anywhere from the 2-5 position.

Outside of slamonline's criteria or not 99.9% of all basketball fans would name Dirk first.

Reply #320739 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tim Duncan has multiple titles and Allstar appearances and is one of the best to ever play the game. Dirk is a beast and now has a title to go along with his Allstar appearances. Tim Duncan is old now but look back a few years and he could dominate a game like Dirk has been of late.

Reply #320744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before Sabonis got hurt, many good judges believed he was going to end up the greatest player ever. Bobby Knight was one who was in complete awe of what he could do at 7'3".

You could also make a similar argument for Drazen Petrovic from a pure talent standpoint. But overall, I think as an international player in the NBA (and to me, that means anyone who hasn't played for Team USA), this title validates his standing as number one all time.

Reply #320747 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Dirk, one of the Top 15 players of all time??

Wow, entry into that Top 15 club is pretty poor nowadays. Dirk will be a Hall of Famer and one of the best players of his generation, but he hasn't done enough to rate up in the Top 15.

There's already another post on about that subject, go explain what rates Dirk above others.

DB5, good starting lineup. I still think Duncan rates as the most boring player of all time, but you can't argue with the stats.

Ginobli and Kukoc as some nice Clutch factor.

Reply #320749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dirk top 15 lol. maybe for those of you who have been watching the game for the past 10 years only. respect the greats.

Reply #320766 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

We are all forgetting Alaa Abdelnaaby (Blazers) from Egypt and Mengke Bateer (Spurs) from Inner Mongolia.

Reply #320785 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Kobe Bryant spent a good part of his teenage years living in Rome, Italy - Is he an International??

Luke Longley won 3 championships...where does he fit in??

Reply #320809 | Report this post

kriss  
Years ago

top 15 hey?
In no order....please feel free to debate but do not say Dirk is better then x y z because he has a ring
Jordan
Magic
Wilt
Shaq
kobe
Bird
Russell
garnett
Mchale
Hakeem
Ewing
Barkley
Baylor
Oscar
Erving
Moses malone
Kareem
Karl malone
John stock
Timmy d
David robinson

Reply #320816 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Top 5 who went to the NBA but either never got a proper chance or arrived too late in their careers:

Ardvydas Sabonis,
Andrew Gaze,
Sergei Bazarevich,
Šar?nas Jasikevi?ius,
Antoine Rigaudeau.

Reply #320817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Vlade Divac - no mention at all above. Surely in the top 10 of international players.

As for Sabonis - one of the best ever, a 7'3" player that played inside and nailed 3s.Before his time in going to the NBA

Reply #320822 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

in researching foreign born NBA players i just learnt that Jo Jo English was actually German...wow

Reply #320825 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

also of interest Steve Kerr was born in Lebanon and Wally Szczerbiack Spain

Reply #320826 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Just another player that I thought was quite talanted was Miami Heat long range shooter Sasha Danilovic. He was able to light it up on occasions It would of been interesting if stayed in the league to see how he could of progressed. He played a couple of seasons with Miami then got traded to the Dallas Mavericks played half a season and then took off to europe and signed for a team before Dallas could resign him.

For some European players the NBA is not for them and the more minutes you get on the court in Europe plus the bigger pay check in some cases, add to that the less games and also being in familiar surrondings is alot more attractive for some players. Which is why fran vazquez has not came and David Andersen delayed his entrance into the NBA. If I was them I would do anything to get into the NBA but not everyone feels that way.

Reply #320866 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yes, Danilo was pretty good for a few years there. I did forget about Divac, he deserves to be up there. There was also a guy at Sacramento, and Marcialounas at GSW.

Sport section in the Sunday Mail has a 2 page spread on this same discussion.

Reply #320876 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754