curtley
Years ago

Kyrie Irving Chooses Australia

Saw this in Sydney's Daily Telegraph this morning:

http://bit.ly/jcWrqY

Quote of the century: "You know, it would be great to play for my country, which is primarily Australia".

I'd like hime to justify how having two American parents and living there for 95% of his life makes him primarily Australian, but whatever it can't be a negative for Aussie basketball, but I doubt he'll put his hand up for friendlies or even world champs.

Topic #25730 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

That's a welcome quote! I really hope he does play for the Boomers. We could have TWO #1 NBA draft picks leading our team in years to come! How many teams outside the US could ever have said that? I'm guessing none!

Reply #320887 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Good on him!

Reply #320888 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - is this just a media beat up? Is this all a ruse to help him get the #1 spot in the draft?

Reply #320889 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Well, it is an Australian reporter for an Australian newspaper, so surely Irving's comments are directed accordingly. But what was a pipe dream seems significantly more likely now. Huge news!

Reply #320892 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He would have to get clearance from the Cavs

Remember Bogut struggles to get clearance from Milwaukee to represent Australia on occasions.

If he did play for Australia, I reckon he should play the 2 spot, and start Patty at the 1. Small backcourt I know, but super quick and enough to cause opposing teams nightmares.

Patty is too good to be Kyrie's backup. Both deserve a starting spot.
With Patty, David Anderson, Kyrie and Bogut the Boomers could potentially start 4 NBA players at the 2012 Olympics.

Reply #320897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has David Andersen done for the Boomers that would make him a starter?

Reply #320898 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Yeh Andersen can't do much more than hit 15 ft jump shots, but he does have experience. I reckon if Jawai took his spot and focussed on rebounding and defence he'd contribute more.

Reply #320900 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I thought he played junior level for USA though? Doesnt that mean he has to play USA in seniors?

Reply #320908 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No, Im pretty sure he has to get Clearance from USA Basketball before he can represent Australia.

Similar to Maric, he had to get clearance from BA to play for Serbia--Which was denied (rightfully IMO)

Reply #320910 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I saw him on ESPN and he said he wants his nickname to be the 'Aussie Assassin'.

Reply #320911 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

If he's only using his tenuous Australian link to somehow differentiate himself, define his identity and get a free trip to the Olympics then I say...... welcome aboard, we'd love to have you!!

Reply #320912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Potential no 1 pick.)) I dont care if he only was conceived at 30 000 feet flying over Darwin. Mum and Dad did the right thing.

Hes as aussie now as Cathy Freeman

Reply #320914 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Bogut had trouble getting clearance from the Bucks mainly because of injury concerns at the time with his back, as long as Irving doesnt hurt himself he'd be allowed to play by Cleveland.

Also Id imagine Irving considers himself an American, like the OP said, two US parents, and lived most of his life there not to mention representing the US at the Fiba tournaments growing up, but with so many good PG's already representing the US he'd have to have a MVP type season to get invited to the London Olympics team.

I bet Brett Brown has been in contact with his family giving him advice if he wants to be playing international ball in the future, especially at the Olympics, a possible backcourt of Irving/Mills really improves our medal chances in London(and lets be honest Irving > Mills, and Mills plays more like a SG anyway, let Irving run the show and Patty shoot away)

Reply #320916 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

It would make for very interesting rotations, as Irving and Mills would clearly be our two best guards but, as paul has commented in a previous thread, playing both at the same time gives us a very small back court, which would likely be exposed at the defensive end. I imagine in such a squad that a defensive stopper like Martin would become even more important for team balance.

Reply #320921 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah thats true.
But correct me if im wrong, but didn't the Boomers run an equally small backcourt at 2010 WC.

Didn't they play Gibbo at the 2 alot, and Patty at the 1 during the WC.

At the WC last year, they had 4 PG's--Patty, Markovic, Gibson and D.Martin.
Im sure there was some overlap i.e. One or two of those players were ran at the 2 spot.

Reply #320925 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, Martin and Gibbo played together in the backcourt a lot and it was pretty bad really. We just had zero scoring power from our guards. Patty is good, but I don't think I'd run two point guards as my first option.

In an ideal world, Newley would get back to where he was before he hurt his knee and he would start at SG. Starting five would be Irving, Newley, Ingles, mobile PF TBD and Bogut. Bring Patty off the bench as a spark plug.

With that PF slot probably the most up for grabs, I actually wonder if Khazzouh could be an option there? He seems reasonably mobile but he still has the height and enough rebounding to not be a liability. He also has a nice touch around the basket and has shown he can step out and shoot the three as well. Maybe a younger, more athletic Andersen?

Reply #320930 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think a question that has to be asked is do we really want him? To me it seems like he really is just thinking this is his only way to International ball. He does not consider himself an Australian as far as I can tell and really he is not going to have any real passion for the green and gold.

While I like his talents and what he could do for our side, I question if his true intentions should play a part in his possible selection.

Reply #320934 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

So what if he only nominally considers himself Australian. As long as he puts 100% in when he is playing for the green and gold - that should be good enough.

Besides what is nationhood in a sporting sense these days? Look at the dramas in football - deal with it. These days with globalization and immigration/naturalization laws it is a moot point.

Most of our footballers would have spent half their lives o/s (enough to apply for citizenship in those jurisdictions i'd imagine). Bogut has been in the US for ~10 years. All these guys are nominally Australian - what is the issue?

If he wants to - even if cynically (but is willing to give 100% for the team), good luck and welcome to him.

Reply #320938 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

And i doubt any pro baller worth his salt will mail it in when they go to the Summer Olympics or WCs. Might (and likely will) do it in the pros, but definitely not when you are playing for more than a paycheck.

Reply #320939 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Brett Brown knows his Dad well & this could be the reason why BA gave him the job!

Reply #320941 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

In regards to not caring, Kaman from the clippers plays for Germany, wasn't even born there or played there I don't think and he cares, there is also an american who plays for Russia.

Reply #320943 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

orbit brown deserved this job on his own merits no doubt about it

Reply #320944 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

I think the top of the article says it all, talking to Lebron, who would have undoubtedly pointed out the issues with playing for Team USA, the marketing jump he'd get into Australia + the possibility of a minor medal paired with Bogut.

Add to that he could conceivably win an mvp too (only reason Scola didn't in '10 was because the US team was so short of talent, Durant had to play major minutes whereas the US team usually plays their players 15-20 mins each max).

Realistically he'd be the best point guard not on the US team, so he'd probably take an "all tournament team" position too.

Reply #320948 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dontaye Draper is going to play for Croatia.

Remember him, the old Sydney Kings import..

He has no links with Croatia whatsoever except that he played there for one season.

Reply #320950 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

i wonder if anyone here is old enough to remember Kasumi Takahashi? She was a rhythmic gymnast who was born in Tokyo to a Japanese father and an Australian mother. She lived and trained in California and qualified for the Australian gymnastics team for the 1994 Commonwealth Games where she won gold in all five disciplines. She became Australia's darling and her success can only have been good for the sport in this country.

I believe Irving can be something similar for basketball and only see positives for his participation in the Boomers programme.

Reply #320955 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Carries an impression of the FIBA rule.

Must play for USA, since he played in FIBA junior tournaments for them.
However, if not selected, FIBA allows him to play for the country of his birth, if positive for the sport in that country.

Reply #320957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you question his passion. You know hes not the first "American" to play for the boomers, Logins, Cal Bruton, Fisher....

At least he was born here.

Reply #320962 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Johnnie_Sack - you make a very good argument for international basketball being replaced by the NBA. In the same way as the team representing a city has become the best group of players that the team can buy, then why not allow the national team to be the best group of players that the country can buy? That makes it easier for a country to put up a team that represents its real strength in the world - i.e., economic - rather than a team that represents the strength of the basketball programmes in that country.

We would also get the best players in the world playing at World Championships and Olympics. That would be much more even and competitive than the current system, where the best 10 players from each country are there and the next best 10 from that country don;t get to play at all, even if they are better than the best players from another country.

Can't wait 'til Qatar wins the Worlds and Olympics with the NBA All Star winning team. Now that's a vision for all of us to love.

And Ausieboomers4eva - you know how many coaching clinics and developmental sessions Kasumi Takahashi has undertaken with local rhythmic gymnasts since she did so well at the Commonwealth Games? Well, a lot less than Monique Allen, Lauren Mitchell, Sam Offord, Josh Jefferis and others who've done well for Australia internationally (admittedly in other gymnastic disciplines) over the years. Hell, half of the elite gymnasts who've represented Australia end up judging and putting back into the sport as coaches and administrators. I look forward to Kyrie Irving using the opportunities and profile that representing Australia would give him, to put back into the Australian basketball program. Maybe that should be a condition of the clearance?

Reply #320963 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I hear you PeterJohn, my point is that (without knowing the figures, admittedly rhythmic gymnastics is not exactly my forte) there would certainly have been an influx of interest in the sport after her success and that alone would have been of immense benefit to the sport in this country.

If we have a legitimate shot at a medal due in part to Irving's participation, I imagine basketball in Australia could expect a similar wave of interest.

Reply #320967 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Good point made a few posts above. If Irving won a medal with Australia, along with Bogut, Mills, Ingles... it would do wonders to his legacy.

He would not make any difference in terms of taking the USA up the medal standings.

Reply #320971 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Could play in nbl if there's lockout ?

Reply #320975 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Jacob, I was thinking the same thing, and he would only be a 3 points on the player points system as he would have just been a returning college player. A team like Melbourne who have already got both their imports could go after someone like him (not sure if they have 3 points left)

Reply #320978 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

I'd doubt any NBL team would have the money to cover the insurance policy on his contract, a Euro team could, ours, not likely.

Reply #320980 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I was not questioning his effort while playing for us i'm just questioning if we want to have players who are essentially "using" us as a conduit to play international ball. I'm sure he would want to win when he plays but he does not really seem himself as an Aussie that's all. I think that American playing for Russia players over there and lives there at least a portion of his year so I would say he has show some level of alignment or national pride there.

Irving would be a great talent injection to the team i'm just curious around his passion for the country that is all.

Reply #320999 | Report this post

Taibu  
Years ago

Extremely excited about this news. Hopefully we'l see Irving in the green and gold next year! Im not confident Basketball USA will him clearance though, being a number 1 draft pick.

Off topic, but is Nathan Jawai still in Boomers calculations? No one has mentioned him in regards to our PF. He's young and has had NBA experience, is he struggling in Europe?

Reply #321001 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Just reading through this, Big Sexy I assume you are talking about JR Holden who played for Russia. Was made a Russian citizen by the presidant basically so he could play on the team. I have it from a from a friend of mine who played with him in Belgium that he was being payed half a million euros per game to play for Russia, and hence only really played major championships and never friendlies. I don't know what that says about his desire to represent his new homeland. Just a random fact I remembered and thought I'd chuck it in

Reply #321009 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Taibu, Jawai is still definitely in the mix for the Boomers. If Bogut plays at centre though, then Jawai might not be a good fit alongside him against a lot of opponents for two reasons:
- the Bogut/ Jawai combo would be pretty slow defensively and could be exploited
- They'd get in each other's way on offence, because both do their scoring in the paint.

That's why, for example, I was wondering about Khazzouh, who is a bit quicker around the court than Jawai and can hit the outside shot as well. Other possibilities include Worthington (who Brown was intending to play there against NZ, but couldn't due to injury) Andersen (who fits the outside shooting equation but is also slow defensively) and Nielsen.

So IF Bogut plays, then perhaps Jawai might only find backup minutes. On the other hand, if Bogut can't then Jawai could play a much bigger role, perhaps sharing the centre spot with Maric.

Reply #321010 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Yeah it was Holden I was thinking of new about him getting citizenship to play didn't know about the money. Kaman for Germany is they one I think is similar to our situation with Irving. If Irving is willing to play then let him

Reply #321021 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

By the way, 'Russian' Holden has just retuired from basketball.

Jawai has been in great consistent form in Europe for Partizan and has just signed for one of Russia's best teams in Unics Kazan and will once again be playing Euroleague basketball next season. He will definitely be in the mix as Beantown points out.

Irving would be great for the Boomers IF it ever eventuates. FIBA and USA Basketball would both have to approve of the move in the first instance.

You just never know...

Reply #321033 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Related: big profile on the Irvings (mainly on the dad) in a New York paper today; FWIW not much on the Australia stuff.

Reply #321037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im guessing his Dad is good friends with Brett Brown, considering Brett Brown coached at Bulleen in the SEABL the year after Dredrick Irving played for Bulleen
Dredrick was actually All Star Five in the SEABL In 1992 i think.

Reply #321044 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anon it was 1992 & Brett recruited Dad 'Dredrick'! They have stayed in touch - this could rock!!

Reply #321053 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

They also played together at Boston College

Reply #321055 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Sorry Big Sexy, Herr Chris Von Kaman is not similar at all.

He was using the fact that his great-grand parents were born there as an excuse. Irving was born here and lived a part of his life here at least - Kaman was really getting a free trip to the Olympics. Even his old man (LeRoy - could you get more red, white, and blue than that) called him out on it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=kamanfeature-080817

Reply #321057 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Just on Andrew Bogut I have read an article where Brett Brown is hopeing he can play for the World Championchip qualifiers. My take on Bogut is they should leave him alone for now, he has his own problems with trying to stay healthy and I think risking him at the olympic qualifiers is unfair to him. Zarunus Illagukas did'nt play many international games for Lithuania because of health concerns and most likely prolonged his NBA carrer, and right now I would put Bogut as a similar case in the too delicate basket. He has another long-term injury like he had with his arm and it could really jeopardise his NBA carrer.

Reply #321128 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I also read an interview with Ginobili where he said that they (Players) are in talks with the NBAPA to see if they can work something out with insurance so he can play for Argentina. I would assume it would happen for all NBA players

Reply #321141 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Age: Irving Keen on Australia

From the article:

...Irving has not ruled out playing for the Boomers in London, declaring he is "definitely keeping both options open".

"I really think I'll have a better chance of playing for Australia than the USA just because I'm going to be a young player in the league," Irving told ESPN on Tuesday.

"Just to be able to play for Australia, for my country, it just would be a great opportunity."

When the ESPN reporter noted Irving referred to Australia as "my country", he did not back away from the statement.

"When it applies to the Olympics, and making a decision, I have to claim Australia as my country," Irving said.

"I'm happy for the USA. I played for the USA under-18 team, won a gold medal.

"I have no problem with that either."

Reply #321183 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers wary on NBA star

From the article:

AUSTRALIAN officials don't expect to have potential NBA-star Kyrie Irving in a Boomers uniform for the London Olympics.

The Australian-born, American-raised 19-year-old told ESPN earlier in the week he wanted to play for Australia in London, but despite those comments, neither he or his representatives have contacted Basketball Australia about playing for the Boomers.

Reply #321277 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BA just released a statement on Kyrie Irving...they are essentiaaly stating that they are keen to explore all options once the NBA Draft is finalised.

Reply #321383 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Kyrie probably hasn't contacted BA because he's been too busy with the draft, not necessarily because he doesn't want to play for OZ eventually.

Reply #321386 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Lets run this line of thought

So Irving is granted approval by BUSA and FIBA to play for Australia and is a member of the Boomers at the London Olympics and just maybe even the next world championships.

Over this time he gradually develops into a bonafide starter on an NBA team and possibly the star (Cleveland....not out of the question at this point in time).

Its now 2015 Williams and Paul are past representing their country, Rondo and Wall are injured, Rose needs a rest after taking the Bulls to another championship and Irving and Westbrook are the two best PG left running around in the NBA that season.

Over the same period Australia has also improved its international standing on the back of Bogut, Mills, Ingles, Irving, Creek, Weigh, Johnson (humour me) and is a strong possibility to medal at the 2015 Olympics. The problem is that Irving wants to play for the USA because that's where his heart belongs.

Does BA consent to Irving playing for the USA?

Reply #321396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think he truly believes he is a dual citizen which is great
the fact that he was born here even is something pretty cool
it would be awesome if he was a boomer... but idk if it will happen
obviously he is leaving his options open
lets hope for the best!

Reply #321405 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Big Ads, the following Olympics would actually be 2016...and I would reckon that if Irving had already repped foe Australia at either London 2012 or at the WC's in 2014, then BA would not authorise his transfer back to USA, in a similar fasion to what they did with Maric.

However between now and then, who is to say the rules will not change?

Reply #321422 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers to chase Irving

From The Age article:

BASKETBALL Australia chief executive Larry Sengstock has pledged to do everything he can to help potential NBA No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving play for Australia. But not until after today's NBA draft.

Reply #321429 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754