Anonymous
Years ago

Ater Majok drafted by lakers 58th

Wow is this surprising to anyone?

Topic #25763 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I didnt even realise that he was declaring for the draft, but good on him. I think he could be a 3rd centre on an NBA team but thats about it. Can definatly block shots but it stops about there.

Reply #321545 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I'm more pissed that the Bucks got Jimmer Fredette and now they're trading him off in a 3-way trade with Charlotte and Sacramento.

The Bucks need scoring power, they get the NCAA scoring champ and College POTY; and decide to trade him.

FFS. I don't get it.

Reply #321548 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

No. Happy for him and his family.

Reply #321549 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Holy flippin dog doo! I did not expect to see that! I must admit that I have been a bit of a Majok hater lately but my hat goes off to him. He said he wanted to get drafted, he travelled over there to work out, I expected he would get smashed to pieces. Obviously, he must have what it takes. Congratulations to him and the very best of luck. He put in the hard work and he deserves the opportunity.

Reply #321550 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Big Marty, the trade was made way before Jimmer was drafted

Reply #321554 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

FWIW he's also currently trending worldwide on Twitter.

Reply #321557 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Bucks got Stephen Jackson instead - win IF he turns up to training camp

Reply #321561 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Suprised.. unless he is improved tenfold in 3 months the lakers wasted a pick, even if it was pick 58.

Reply #321568 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wow, bit of a surprise but congrats to him.

Reply #321570 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Averaged 5ppg for the Blaze, says it all really...

The buzz term for this trade is "draft and stash in Europe" but I don't think you could even stash Majok in Europe, not at a Euroleague/Eurocup calibre team anyway...

Reply #321571 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if he only averaged 5ppg for the Blaze. His athletic abilities suit the NBA. Stephen Jackson came here and got sacked as he wasn't good enough as an import, I think he turned out alright in the NBA. David Anderson was also average in the NBL but he did okay in the NBA. Derrick Rose only got 15ppg in college which is decent but on stats alone you wouldn't put him as number 1 pick. He ended up not too bad as well. NBA picks on potential talent not solely on stats.

Having said all that Majok might never play an NBA game but to write him off just because he averaged 5ppg is wrong.

Reply #321575 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

His awsome to watch when he was at perth!!! Great talent,needed more court time!!! To prove wat he could do!!! Top bloke, happy for him!!!!! just hope he rocks up for traing that's all!!!!

Reply #321577 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Well said KingJames.

Majok has physical attributes and athletic abilities suited to the NBA game. These attributes alone will not get him an NBA game, however if he can work hard on his game and continue to improve then who knows. I certainly would not begrudge anyone that opportunity. Obiously the Lakers thought their last pick was worth a chance should Majok finally begin to prove all his critics wrong. Only time will tell whether that is a success or not.

Reply #321582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol this is so funny
did every1 see the espn commentators reactions lol
even the international expert was like wat the hell
waste of a pick clearly they dont want to hang onto those last to selections

Reply #321587 | Report this post

Hugh  
Years ago

Super shocked alright. If he ever plays for the Lakers then I believe Craig will coach the Crows next season!

Reply #321588 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good luck to Ater. He is a long-shot to translate this into a long NBA career, but he's got a foot in the door and anything can happen if he works hard to develop his skill level. He certainly has the size and athleticism to do very well.

Big Marty, as was pointed out above, the Bucks traded the pick before they knew it would be Jimmer. In any case, I doubt they wanted him, because they already have Jennings at PG.

Instead, they took the opportunity to remove two mistakes (Salmons & Maggette) from their roster (bad contracts and chemistry) and replaced them with a very good wing scorer in Jackson and an offensive minded guard in Beno Udrih. Provided Jackson stays fit and buys in, he will fit very well into the Bucks offence. Udrih will also be perfect for the Bucks as he can perform the Ridnour role from two seasons ago, something they missed last season.

With Bogut in the middle and Jennings, Delfino and Jackson all able to shoot the three and drive to the basket, they should be able to crank out a few more points this season. The big question marks for them remain 1) can Bogut get and stay healthy? 2) can they get enough from Gooden, Sanders and Ilyasova at PF?

All in all, I think Hammond has done a good job to repair the mistakes he made last off-season and return it to something similar to the team that was quite successful the season before.

Reply #321589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13th Australian to be drafted by an NBA team:

Eddie Palubinskas-1975 3rd round by Atlanta (rights traded to New Orleans)

Luc Longley-1991 1st round by Minnesota

Chris Anstey-1997 1st round by Portland (rights traded to Dallas)

CJ Bruton-1997 2nd round by Vancouver (rights traded to Portland)

Paul Rogers-1997 2nd round by LA Lakers

Ben Pepper-1997 2nd round by Boston

David Andersen-2002 2nd round by Atlanta (rights traded to Houston)

Andrew Bogut-2005 1st round by Milwaukee

Brad Newley-2007 2nd round by Houston

Nathan Jawai-2008 2nd round by Indiana (rights traded to Toronto)

Patrick Mills-2009 2nd round by Portland

Kyrie Irving-2011 1st round by Cleveland

Ater Majok-2011 2nd round by LA Lakers

Reply #321593 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

Sorry, did I miss something, Anon, there was that bloke from Melbourne that did alright, I think his name was Gaze, oh Andrew that's right, I think he may have been drafted.

Reply #321596 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I've been reading this board for a while now and the amount of heat this guy has got along the way. Believe me I didn't think he was much chop either.
But you have to hand it to this bloke. I've read countless forums peoples saying he was deluded for declaring let alone even contemplating any aspirations in the NBA but today he is laughing. So am I.

Reply #321597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ater Majok being drafted is a success in itself. When he was ranked high coming out of a program outside of the AIS he was doubted. I remember a "Coach Pete" really bashing him on this board. It was almost as if it were personal.
When he signed with UCONN he was bashed once again. When he made the Boomers team for China he was bashed. When he went to Turkey to play in Europe he was bashed. When he played for Perth he was bashed. When he played for the Gold Coast he was bashed. When he declared for the draft the 1st time and the 2nd time he was bashed.
Now that he is drafted he is bashed. If he is lucky to make the team he will be bashed saying he is a practice dummy or will never get off the bench.

Hey, I realize Ater is not your run of the mill Aussie and has not taken the traditional route of a Patrick Mills or Nathan Jawai (AIS), but he has worked hard to get to this point. AJ Oglivy who has had more support on this board has not made it as far and he does not get bashed a hard.

I know we are suppose to be a nation with the tall poppy syndrome but who do we choose to pull down. I bet the Sudanese in Australia are watching this closely.

For those who have been supportive and recognize the accomplishment of Ater (especially as a refugee making his way in a new country) thanks for being a good Australian. For those who hate, when you hate bring 2 shovels.

Reply #321599 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Gaze wasn't drafted. He was signed as a free agent. Same for Heal and Bradtke (and maybe others?)

Reply #321600 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

People seem to forget Ater didnt actually start playing basketball till he was what? 13-15yrs old or something? So when they talk about potential how exactly can anyone right him off? Give him a few years under his belt playing some pro ball and then you can judge him

Id imagine NBA teams would know more about the potential in players then some so called experts on here.

Reply #321602 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Given we still have a big guy Aussie spot available, is it worth waiting to see if Majok gets cut by the lakers and offering him a contract with the 36ers, to back up Johnson and Ballinger.

Given he is an athletic rebounder/defender he would be a good compliment to both of them and would bring something different to the team.

Obviously if we can get a Kickert, Jawai, Baynes type sign them and dont wait, but if its the case that the spot is just going to a Vanderjagt/Dowdell type i say its worth waiting and just signing one of those guys at the last minute if we dont get anyone else, or im sure they would even be open to taking a 11th man contract with the opportunity to be in the 10 if we miss out one all of the above mentioned players/fill in for injuries as i doubt they will have too many other offers.

Reply #321603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonno, solely on the fact he just got drafted by an NBA team Majok could probably get a decent contract somewhere in Europe next season.

skyhooked, as pointed out to you Gaze was never drafted by an NBA team.

There have only been 10 Australian's to have played in the NBA (Irving will be the 11th):

Luc Longley: 1991-2001 w/ Minnesota/Chicago/Phoenix/New York

Andrew Gaze: 1993-94, 1998-99 w/ Washington & San Antonio

Shane Heal: 1996-97, 2003-04 w/ Minnesota & San Antonio

Mark Bradtke: 1996-97 w/ Philadelphia

Chris Anstey: 1997-2000 w/ Dallas & Chicago

Andrew Bogut: 2005-Present w/ Milwaukee

Luke Schenscher: 2005-07 w/ Chicago & Portland

Nathan Jawai: 2008-10 w/ Toronto & Minnesota

David Andersen: 2009-Present w/ Houston/Toronto/New Orleans

Patrick Mills: 2009-Present w/ Portland

* Paul Rogers was signed by Toronto during the 1998-99 season but was stashed on their injured list and never played a game.

Reply #321608 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some , .. like big ads , .. take time to assimilate
individualistic spelling , punctuation, and syntax.

la boy .. who most likely is at this draft,
told us he would be picked , probably by Lakers
and I took his word, skipping blythely over assinine things that others say.

Reply #321610 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

LOL Pot.

Kind Regards

The Kettle

:-)

Reply #321613 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I am most surprised by my use of LOL in a post. It shall never appear again in a post written by myself.

Reply #321617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great work by ater
this guy could be a finals MVP and people would still bash him.

Reply #321618 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

KingJames your wrong Stephen Jackson got sacked from the Sydney Kings because he broke his foot and would be out between 2 to 3 months so the Kings decided to go and fill the import postion with someone else. Jackson was only 19 when he came over here and after a slow start was starting to find his feet and play well before the injury.

Reply #321633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 599 your first few paragraphs were spot on. Stop bashing the kid just because he is a bit different and a bit too cocky.

As for Ogilvy, he has achieved far more than Majok, from dominating a junior world championship, to making it at college level to being a very good professional. Majok cant claim any of those achievements.

Reply #321647 | Report this post

Zephyr  
Years ago

He'll never play in the NBA.

The end of the 2nd Round has just become a joke. No one wants to pay any of these guys, so they take fliers on 1/100 international players they can stash away somewhere, in the unlikely event they turn into something.

Its much better to go undrafted than bottom of the 2nd. Many undrafted players will make rosters, filling niches.

Reply #321652 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

David, Jackson was only 17 when he played with the Kings.

Reply #321654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol stephen jackson was certainly not 17 playing for the kings, he was still in high school then, it was only 14 or so years ago and he's like 34-35 nowadays

Reply #321657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jackson was pretty young.dont think he was more than 18 or 19.

anyway well done to majok.

sircreate - you're right.
majok has worked hard and then blitzed a work out against well known college players.of course he may never play nba but its still an incredible effort from him and he deserves it.

Reply #321661 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Jackson was 19, Majok could be OK as a perimeter defender of tall forwards, his footwork's pretty good. He's one of those players that even if he was in the NBA, you wouldn't automatically put into the Aussie team.

Reply #321686 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Jackson was 19 when he was here, and David is right. He was replaced because of the injury, not for any other reason.

Reply #321689 | Report this post

kash37  
Years ago

yall just hatin.....let the guy play, dont matter if he makes da team or not hes still gonna get paid more than any of yall on here

Reply #321699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the Lakers considered Majok in the 2nd round:

http://middletownpress.com/articles/2011/06/24/sports/doc4e0564e2dd144952023875.txt

Reply #321728 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

If my memory serves me correct Stephen Jackson played in the first season for coach Bill Tomilsom and they had a roster consisting of Scott mcgregor, shane heal, Matt Nielsen, Steve Whitehead, Arron Trahair, Bruce Bolden, and the former movie actor of Blue Chips and forgetble import Matt Nover. After Jackson's injury it seemed to go all downhill for the kings, Nover would be sacked because of poor play and the Kings would go through 7 imports during the season. Until finally settleing on point guard Kelsey Weems and can't remember the other import but he was a pretty talanted undersize centre. Kings would fail to make the playoffs and Heal would leave after the season and play in Europe.

Reply #321732 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

"A native of Sudan, he's endured life in an Egyptian refugee camp, racism in Australia and other hardships along the way."

(sigh)

Yeah - got a pretty bad deal in Australia by the sounds of it... Might have done better staying put in the Sudan (this may well be garnishing by the writer - at least i hope so).

Reply #321755 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It's just popular to try and make out Australians are racist. Harry Connick Jr said so.

Reply #321758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because we basically are. Ever paid attention to the boat people/asylum seeker debate in this country?

Compared to other countries in Europe our arrivals are so ridicuously small (especially by boat, the vast majority come by plane but they're not dark skinned so that's alright) but we being the racists we are bang on like it's the end of the world aided and abetted by the Government of the day in the loathsome Liberal & Labor parties. That's all before even getting to the way Aboriginal people have been treated in their own country.

It's shameful how racist we are.

Reply #321769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason theres so much debate over them is because we simply don't have the infrastructure to support them all coming in, they're under way too much strain already. And the fact the get treated like royals and get everything they ask for from government once they're in. Rarely do any of them get jobs, they live off large welfare payments. That's why theres so much debate.

Reply #321770 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

And what, 'mericans aren't? Please!

Something about glass houses, throwing, and rocks comes to mind.

Reply #321772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. We have more than enough infrastructure to handle how little we get mate.

2. No sane person would equate being locked up in a detention centre as being "treated like royals".

3. The vast majority do get jobs, what happened to all the ones that came here from Nauru during the Howard Government's period in office? Currently we have less than 5% unemployment, a figure just about every other country in the world would kill for.

4. Again no sane person would consider the dole a "large welfare payment". Putting aside the fact we have next to no unemployed the dole pays just $450 a fortnight. Yeah living like royalty I tells ya.

Reply #321773 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Here we go. Another self-flagellator.

Why not just do away with countries altogether? Racism (all along it's very wide spectrum) is a part of the living/human tribal condition. Banging on about it is tiresome especially when you are leaving a warzone for a peaceful - but not perfect (what one is?) society...

Reply #321774 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The issue with the boat people is not because of the colour of their skin, or because of an inherent racist culture. It's because the practice of people smuggling is illegal, and it makes matters worse when identification documents are intentionally destroyed upon interception. And you're right, the governments still haven't "solved" the issue. Unfortunately, the obvious solution to integrate them in to society is met with more incorrect cries of "racism" by the bleeding hearts.

Reply #321775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's everything to do with the colour of skin. Where is all the outrage at all the poms & kiwis that make up the vast majority of it? No, the outrage is purely for the poor, dark skinned ones that come by boat and not plane, less than 10% of the total which is insignificant anyway.

You can try and spin the argument about "people smuggling" but the reality is there would be no people smuggling if people wern't trying to flee persecution in their homelands. Not unsurpringsly "people smuggling" only applies to those that come by boat, you know the poor, dark skinned ones.

It's racism dressed up to look like something else and anyone that tries to use that needs to take a good look at themselves (the Lab/Libs).

Go and watch the great TV series that just sired on SBS "Go Back To Where You Came From" and educate yourselves.

Reply #321779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's racism! Reverting to that indicates a very shallow understanding of a complex issue.

Reply #321783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They certainly do not live on just $450.
They get given a house of which they want, all the things a struggling home born cannot have.
Foxtel, game consoles, dvds, everything.
Their welfare payments are well over $2000 per week.

Reply #321786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$2000 over the entire family of course.

Reply #321787 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Just because you watched a documentary last week, it doesn't make you an expert.

How many poms and kiwis arrive here by boat, in the same way the Afghani and Sri Lankan people do?

Reply #321788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are caucasions the only racist people in the world?
If I went to Iraq or Afganistan and was killed, mobbed, insulted it would not make world news in any way shape or form. If I tried to apply my own lifestyle or religous beliefs on them, I would be arrested..but we accept that.
How ever when we do it, they call us racist, descriminatory, were horrible horrible people...You ever heard of Double standards.

If you want to come to a country do it legally, otherwise your hurting those who are trying to do so!

Reply #321795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

funny to read a US article earlier saying how Ater had to deal with racism in Australia

Reply #321797 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I have no doubt he did experience racism in Australia, but no more or less than he would have received in any other country in the world.

Reply #321799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate a fair amount of these boat people are doing it legally or have no other process to use.

Reply #321806 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And absolutely nothing compared to what his family fled in Sudan.

Reply #321809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bit I don't get about this argument is where it suddenly becomes ok because Australia is 'no more racist than anywhere else in the world'. How does that turn into a justfication for what clear is racism? How is any level of racism tolerable? And why on earth would you try to compare us to Sudan for best practice as to acceptable levels of justifiable racism?

Frankly, the argument that says 'It's ok, other people are more racist than us' just doesn't cut it.

If Ater has experienced racism in Australia, and I have little doubt just reading through this thread that he would have, that is not acceptable. He should not have to put up with that in this country, regardless of where he came from and the conditions in those places. Because he suffered worse persecution in Sudan it is ok for him to be mildly persecuted here? It is that attitude which can make me feel ashamed for my fellow Australians.

Reply #321812 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The only way to apply for an Australian refugee visa is by entering Australia. Those seeking asylum have a legal right to enter the country from which they are seeking asylum to claim it.

Reply #321815 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Quit with the reactionary bullshit, would you? No one said it is acceptable. The conversation started by someone (you?) saying that Australians are racist. The point is, racism/bigotry can occur in any part of the world by any person or culture. Australians need not be singled out with an over the top rant, and not from someone who uses a recent tv social experiment to base their entire argument on.

The problem is going to continue as long as people like you keep trivializing these issues by saying that any time a white person says something, or chooses to act in anyway that is not 1000% supportive of a dark person, they are being racist.

Reply #321818 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

People make comments that people could choose to take offence to based on hair colour, gender, profession, sporting club, religion, political pursuasion, race, family members, and no doubt many more things.

Is it 'acceptable'? Well, that is mostly for each person to decide, as shown by the fact that people will not take offence to something said by a friend or someone they consider 'same', but will take offence at the exact same thing said by someone they dont know.

I played sport overseas and copped what would be considered racist comments. I wouldnt say that racism is a major issue that makes that country a worse place however.

Reply #321819 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"If Ater has experienced racism in Australia, and I have little doubt just reading through this thread that he would have..."

I'll ask this anonymous freedom fighter to find ONE example of racism in this thread and post it.

Reply #321838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Situation,

Post #321812 was my first post in the thread. You challenge me to identify ONE example of racism in this thread and post it.

I never asserted that there were any racist comments in this thread, but I would be happy to point out the numerous intolerant comments throughout the thread directed to refugees and boat people if that would assist you. For example, whilst Jonny_Sack was not alone in his view, he posted the following in response to the suggestion that Ater might have experienced racism in Australia:

"Yeah - got a pretty bad deal in Australia by the sounds of it... Might have done better staying put in the Sudan (this may well be garnishing by the writer - at least i hope so)."

The logic would appear to be:
1. Ater is from the Sudan where things are bad;
2. Ater is not one of us yet we have given him 'a good deal';
3. therefore Ater cannot complain if he is racially abused in Australia.

This is the very intolerance that makes it easy for me to believe Ater would have experienced racism in Australia. If as you say no-one is condoning racism, why can't it be raised in an article about Ater (not even necessarily by him) without it turning into a thread about how spoilt he is by Australia and that maybe he would be better placed back in Sudan? Even if, as I sincerely hope, that last comment was tongue-in-cheek, perhaps you can explain to me how that is acceptable.

Anon #321812

Reply #321855 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

My apologies, I thought you may had been previous anon contributions.

I don't think Johnny Sacks comment is saying the racism is acceptable. In the article, the author is trying to make out all the hardships that Majok has endured. We’re led to believe that he fled a war-torn Sudan, possibly escaped with his life (his families too) and has come to Australia. Now, we all lead a pretty privileged lifestyle in Australia, him included, so the issue with the comment from the article is that the author is making out that it was out of the frying pan in to the fire. It’s quite insulting to put any hardship he faced in Australia in the same sentence as his Sudanese life, or even a refugee camp in Australia. You are right, racism is not acceptable, but to put it in the same sentence as being threatened with your life, or living in a disease-ravaged squalor, is blowing the issue out of proportion.

Reply #321860 | Report this post

Anon #321812  
Years ago

The article contains, in a sentence, a list of hardships Ater has apparently faced. Have you even read it? Do you deny that racism is a hardship that Ater might have had to overcome? Something that might be relevant to his personal story?

I can see that you are naturally suspicious of anything "we're led to believe" about Ater, but you might want to sit back for a second and wonder whether that is your prejudice shining through.

Reply #321862 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No, I'm not suspicious. I used that term because I don't know the full story of his life and experience in Sudan. I'm not accusing him or anyone else of embellishing on his life in Sudan.
I think you have an issue understanding context. Me reading the article is irrelevant (I have, by the way), I'm not denying racism is a hardship but to compare to a war-torn country or refugee situation, is laughable. It's like saying a an assault victim suffered serious head injuries, a punctured lung, and had his shirt torn.

Reply #321864 | Report this post

Anon #321812  
Years ago

As I told you, the context was in a sentence where the author was talking about the hardships Ater had had to overcome in his life. It wouldn't matter what 'hardships' they were or how big or small.

Even so, your diminishing someone else's experience of racism in circumstances where you accept you don't know the full story does you no credit. You don't accuse Ater of embellishing his life in the Sudan, but it seems you do in relation to whether he has suffered racism here. How would you know what forms of abuse refugees in Australia might suffer? In any event, since when are there acceptable shades of racism because the victim is only a refugee?

Australia might not be a 'more racist' country than any other. But if you accept that it has racist elements, and you accept that racism is not acceptable, why would you protect those people, and the society that produced them, from criticism? And why should a refugee be in a lesser position than anyone else to raise that criticism?

It appears to me that you are of the view that Ater needs to toughen up and get a thicker skin, just because Australia has provided so much to him? Why? Sorry The Situation, but something in your reasoning just doesn't add up. I am still trying to understand what Ater, or the author if you like, has done which is so unreasonable, and I am afraid you are yet to explain it to me.

Reply #321876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #321876
re: Ater Majok drafted by lakers 58th

Well said!

Reply #321878 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In fairness Anon #321812, The Situation has explained his/her thoughts very well. What doesnt add up is that his/her opinion doesnt stack up perfectly with yours.

I dont think serious abuse of others, whether racist or otherwise, is not something that should be accepted. I also understand people taking umbrage at a newspaper report that, probably not intentionally, could be seen as tarring an entire country with one brush.

In your earlier comments you made the assumption that people were against accepting refugees into Australia did so because of the colour of their skin. You appeared to assume that anyone who didnt want refugees was white. Have you considered that was your underlying bias showing through, just as you have accused others?

Reply #321880 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Seriously, you have a problem with reading things which you wish were there, and you're taking comments I have attributed to the author and turned them in to criticisms of Majok.

Now I asked you to justify your remark that this thread gives you little doubt that he has experienced racism. Your only example (and the only one you could possibly use) is from Johnny Sacks talking about the comment from the author of the article. The conversation from that point has been about the article and I've explained why I don't think the comment is fair. Since then, I have been talking about the article (I believe I have mentioned the author on more than one occasion) so your straw-man approach to the subject is not relevant to me.

Reply #321885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guys lets focus on majoks acheivement.

forget about one line some journo in connecticut said.
he wouldnt have a clue.

so where is he going to end up?
nbl, europe, d-league?

Reply #321914 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

A comment is usually only racist if a "white" person said it ;)

Reply #321924 | Report this post

Anon #321812  
Years ago

Paul, I have already confirmed once that I was not the earlier anonymous poster(s) in the thread. I also assume the double negative in the first sentence of your second paragraph is an error.

I respect the opinions of people who do not agree with me, but expect a cogent and logical explanation to be provided for that view.

I have challenged the Situation to explain why he/she would assume that racial abuse was not 'serious' or an important issue worth of note in the article. The lack of a response is enlightening.

I can understand your concern that the article may be tarring Australia with one brush, but frankly that is a pretty long bow to draw from the words of the article. The article does not say 'all Australians are racist', and in my view cannot sensibly be read that way.

The Situation, I understand why you are getting defensive, but you asked for 'ONE example of racism' in the thread. Now you want more? Even after I explained to you my reasoning that it was the general intolerance and lack of understanding of refugee plight shown in some of these posts that make it an easy jump for me to see that someone like Ater could have experienced racism in Australia? I will leave it to others to form a view on who has a problem with reading things.

As for the rest of your post, I have no problem if you wish to criticise the journalists drafting style. My issue is with apologists who assume without facts that something is not an issue deserving of note. It is very easy to sweep concerns of racism in Australia under the carpet as a non-issue, when you have not experienced it yourself.

Reply #321925 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

So, the Lakers eh?

Reply #321928 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Attn Moderators: Can someone strip the banter about "Racial Profiling" and put it in a separate thread and return this one back to a NBA draft topic like it was supposed to be.

Back on Topic; considering Majok has been recruited by the Lakers, he's going to be trained up by arguably one of the best franchises around. I think since he's still young and developing, he's been extended a big olive branch. Hopefully things turn out for the best.

Reply #321929 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"I have challenged the Situation to explain why he/she would assume that racial abuse was not 'serious' or an important issue worth of note in the article. The lack of a response is enlightening."

Just how many times do I need to explain the same thing? Or to ask the question more in line with the current conversation, how much longer will you take my response out of context to suit your own irrelevant rant?

"The Situation, I understand why you are getting defensive, but you asked for 'ONE example of racism' in the thread. Now you want more? "

And this comment just shows why you are not getting the response you deserve. Unless you can point out how I am asking for more examples, please don't bother responding at all. If you're going to continue to take my comments out of context then don't complain when you don't get an answer. As I said, your strawman approach is not relevant to me.

Reply #321931 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

*response YOU THINK you deserve.

Just thought I'd add that in before the small typo was interpreted as an admission that I think he deserves a response, but I'm enlightening him by refusing to provide one.

Reply #321933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut the fuck up you morons! This is about Ater if you want to debate about asylum seekers go elsewhere. To Ater congrats my brother! You are going to prove every single person wrong on this forum. I have seen his work ethic no one can stop him from achieving his goal!

Reply #322212 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

They've been elsewhere for three days ;)

Reply #322219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754