Anonymous
Years ago

Australia vs China Tonight- what time on ONE?

nbl.com.au says its on TV at 11.10 eastern, meaning 10:40 adelaide time. but online guides say its 11.10 in eastern states and here, meaning we get it 30 mins delayed. Anyone know when its actually on or can shed any light at all?

Topic #25764 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

I don't think it's live anywhere as the tip is 8pm Perth time which is 10pm in the East

Reply #321572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 1 is on at 11:10pm tonight with a replay at 7:30am Saturday morning.

Game 2 is on at 11:30pm Sunday nights with a replay at 5:30am Tuesday morning.

Reply #321594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks anon

Reply #321605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I LOVE ONEHD!!!! I AM SURE I AM NOT ALONE.

Reply #321620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bad is ronaldson as a commentator!

Reply #321628 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

3 turnovers in the first 4 possessions.
Not a good start here.
Be good to see Baynes and Kickert in action.

Reply #321630 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Nice dunk there by Baynes to follow the steal.
Looks pretty good.

Reply #321631 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The captain and the 'big unit from FNQ' look just as comfortable as the local boys on the Challenge Stadium parquet floor.

Reply #321635 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I missed the first half anyone fill me in on who is in the team pls

Reply #321637 | Report this post

Damien Martin oustandng. Rest of the Boomers not so much

Reply #321638 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

nevil has been alright, baynes ok in bits, spectacular dunk from him.

we seem to have alot of spot up shooters but not many off-dribble shooters/ slashers. no one that is even remotely good at slashing and finishing around the hoop. how important is patty to the boomer team. if we dont get irving we need to naturalise somebody ie ervin maybe even ubaka as we would entirely rest on the shoulders of martin. without martin in this game we would be 15 points down. only one who can do anything on the move tonight in a half court situation. maybe cadee could be a solution i guess down the track?? we just look so stuck in half court, rely on china giving easy fouls and open midrange jumpers in the key.

Reply #321639 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

the worst thing is watching how sluggish these guys are with their lateral movement... horrible.

lucky we arent playing america, they would have 10 months of highlights off this defense.

Reply #321640 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ill say one thing though, didnt chinas coach say they were only missing one player (a very good player) from their first team??

what happened to chinese bball if this is close to their best team?? not good.

our team is shocking but would be a 3rd string team at a guess

Reply #321641 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Apparently Yi Jianlian is the only Chinese player missing according to the coach. (and obviously Yao, but possibly doesn't play international anymore? that and he's constantly injured).
Boomer level players I see us missing: Ingles, Newley, Mills, Bogut, Jawai, Nielson, Anderson, Worthington, maybe Loughton/Bruton/Ballinger/Redhage...Irving.

I'd say the majority of our players tonight aren't international level yet. Probably only Martin and Barlow would make the team and get minutes.

Pretty scrappy game, not overly high quality. Good to see us winning with our second string team at best though.

Martin obviously the pick of the bunch.

Reply #321642 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Whole teams looked way to slow, Neville is just lumbering and not providing enough!!

Creek would be a better fit to this team than some of these guys, someone who RUNS!

Reply #321643 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Overtime!!!!!!!

Reply #321644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impressed with Dillon in the second half, definitely worth more minutes on Sunday. Crawford wasted a great chance to prove his worth by missing a number of wide open shots.

Reply #321645 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah crawfords shooting was woeful, the only reason he was there was to hit those shots.

lol, i wanna find footage of that flop by the chinese guy off baynes. i mean, i know baynes does foul alot but it was a joke. bruce lee has the 1 inch punch but baynes has the 1 inch shoulder!! can knock you flying like in hollywood!! i didnt even see the wires!!

anyway nevil killed them last night. not by actually playing any good he just gets into the right spots, and when your 7'1 thats all you need to do.

martin was heads above everyone else out there, i noticed chinas coach said something to him.

the 2 most worrying things i saw

1. lateral movement,

shocking. a man on one leg could blow by those guys. they hurt us a little with penetration but a better team would have killed us. definately a weakness of the whole australian team in general but worse last night.

2. ability to take it to the rim/ finishing around the rim

again, this isnt a huge strength of the aust team, we rely on a few for this but was terrible last night. only one guy who could penetrate and finish, martin. we relied on midrange jumpers and finding guys under the basket.

going forward we have alot of good guys we can bring into the team but definately i still see those 2 things as weaknesses of our team. gibson would have helped last night though.

Reply #321664 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wasn't much to get excited about with the Boomers last night apart from Martin and to some extent Neville. Shouldn't be surprised though, as Martin is the only guy out there I would consider a lock to make the Boomers.

We should be happy at the depth in Australian basketball at the moment though. The fact that we can send out a third string team that competes and wins internationally is something we couldn't do going back a few years.

I think Neville is quite decent, but there is no way he gets close to the Boomers team for the Olympics. Bogut, Andersen, Nielsen and probably Jawai and Maric would be ahead of him. I also think Khazzouh would be a better fit alongside Bogut and Jawai because of his mobility and outside shot. You could even add Ater Majok to that list if he continues to develop his game over the next year.

Of the other players, Daniel Dillon looked good for the small burst of minutes he had, but realistically has no shot of making it if we have Mills, Martin and perhaps Irving.

We didn't get to see much offence from Anatoly Bose last night, but did anyone else notice his sweet shooting stroke when he made those two baskets in a row either late 3rd or early 4th? While he didn't have a big impact on the game, he looked good to me. I think he might have a big season for Sydney and if he does, I would like to see him in the Boomers mix, because he would address one of our biggest weaknesses: outside shooting!

Reply #321668 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i was impressed with martin,in fact he was the best player on the court,make some of those floaters & a couple of three's and bingo........in
barlow looked to be in second gear,but........in
neville,training fodder/back-up 5........in

the rest.........out

Reply #321674 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Bose was the one I was most looking forward to seeing. For mine, he looked really lost on the defensive end, though I don't think that was entirely his fault. There was one passage of play, I think from memory at the end of the second quarter where he gave up two long offensive rebounds and on their third try, couldn't get around the screen to the shooter in the corner and they nailed a three.

Offensively, he drew a questionable foul early and his first free throw was a clanger, so nervous it was funny. But his second was money. Seemed to be looking to distribute solely early on. Understandable. Later when he did get some daylight for the three, I remember feeling that the shot was going down even before he shot it and that proved to be the case. And his pull up off the dribble shortly after also looked confident.

Brown went to him early and gave him a good whack of minutes so I expect that means he impressed during the camp. I will be interested to see if he improves in the second game.

Reply #321677 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Lachy Reid and Bear don't normally bother me too much with their commentary but there were several times last night where I was tearing my hair out.

Just two off the top of my head; Lachy expressing surprise that Baynes was starting at centre over Nevill. Given that Baynes made the squad for last years WC's wheras Nevill did not, should that have been such a surprise? Perhaps it was not necessarily a given that Baynes would start, but certainly not a surprise, one would have thought.

Secondly, Wagstaff's USF. He fouled a Chinese player before the ball was inbounded. That's an automatic USF. They have just spent an entire NBL season commentating on all the Wildcats games with that rule in place and yet both were quizzically wondering where the 'intentional' foul was. Amateur hour!

Reply #321678 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

I thought it was disgusting when the team names came up on a graphic that Martin was spelt "Martyn". (As in Damian).

That is very amateur from Basketball Australia that they couldn't even get the correct spelling for their own players.

Maybe it was a mistake by Sporting Pulse who appeared to have supplied the scores.

Reply #321687 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

whoever bose is lining up for just needs to back him in for good minutes, will get better very quickly and will be an offensive weapon. defensively wasnt as bad as i thought he might be. wasnt any worse than others and his lateral movement although not great will probably be better than required at nbl level.

Reply #321690 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Australian Basketball had surprised everybody
with 2 Aussies drafted and a win , on the same day
A large part of the crowd,the audience supported China
Many of us who did not fully understand Brown's parlance , noticed Clarke gave a minute examination of every detail.
'Nevil who at 7ft.1 gets in right spots.' - phil.
I was thinking something like that , last nite,
but couldn't articulate it as well as that.

Reply #321698 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers seal victory against China in YouYi Games

Australia won game 2 63-57 last night in Singapore. Barlow named MVP.

No box score anywhere that I can find...

Reply #321798 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seemed a good atmosphere at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.In a game telecast to a lotta Asia and Australia
Barlow came out shooting 0 from 4
I was waiting for Nevil to come on as Baynes n Kickert
trying to shoot over the top n missing.
Nevil , then the same.
An early Tech from the China coach n Barlow got FTs
and then 3 open 3s.. subbed out of course.
Brown's declaration at half-time - 'We're gonna go away from post play. Stop trying to shoot over the top of them.'
(I had to quit at half time)

Reply #321817 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Brown actually said 'we have to play off the post better' ie when the ball is in the post have/find cutters, spot up shooters, driving lanes etc.

Reply #321820 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hey paul - I was determined to watch it 'cause Nevil missed some easy put backs game1
I drank some coffee and tried to bring myself to life
but it was getting late.
Beijing was a long time ago .. but David Anderson let me down.. As did Goorjian , not playen Bogut much.
Anyways , Anderson played some absurd amount of Euro money, now NBA, so I could be wrong?
Like to see Brown play Bogut 30mins?
What do ya reckon about our bigs?

Reply #321825 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a good question Camel. I think we have a lot of good bigs, but perhaps not a lot of guys who complement each other's skills, and not a lot of mobile guys. You can only take three or four genuine bigs and one or two mobile bigs, so you have to balance the skill sets right. No point having three guys who do the same things.

In Bogut and Maric we have a very good starter and a solid backup if fit. In Jawai we have a guy who can present a level of power we havent had. Obviously Andersen is around and was better in Turkey than in previous tournaments, particularly on the boards and defensively - more at home at the C spot. He prob only has one tournament left in him though as one of our best.

Nevill is a guy who could be handy as a 12th man as insurance for injury foul trouble, but that's about it - he really isnt skilled enough for any significant minutes. Ogilvy is skilled but what does he add?

For mine there are two very important things we need to do, and one is replace Matt Nielsen, who you would imagine will retire from international basketball after London, possibly before if his body starts packing up. Nielsen is the guy who will do anything to help his team win, particularly the dirty work, and the only guy I can think of to replace that at the PF spot is Matt Knight. Is he up to it? A real shame we didnt see him in the last two games.

The second thing is to replace Chris Anstey, whose three point shooting and defence were very handy in Beijing. None of our young big guys shoot the perimeter shot that well, nor do they have the versatility of Anstey. The one player who shows a bit of that is Khazzouh, but of course he has a way to go to be the defensive player Anstey was, and he needs to get in the gym. Once again, a shame we didnt get to see him play last weekend. Davidson is another who can shoot but he isnt really on the radar. He needs to be better mentally too.

For the moment we need to focus on NZ though, and we dont need lots of big guys against them. Some height to exploit mismatches is good, but we also need to be able to handle Vukona who is a very good international PF.

Reply #321835 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hey Paul, you make some valid points on our big man department. When talking a 12-man boomers team, I do think our problem is that we don't have guys that complement each other in the front court as you intially pointed out, moreso since Anstey retired.

Looking a bit further ahead past London, I'd love to know your thoughts on whether some kids like Brock Motum at Washington State, Mitchell Young at Saint Mary's (etc) and even the much aligned but athletically gifted Ater Majok could eventually fill that more mobile big man role.

Reply #321852 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Majok has so much potential but who knows where he will end up? The reports of his good perimeter defence at the Euro draft camp were promising, but I mostly take camp performances with a grain of salt. Motum and Cody Ellis both impressed me at the U19 WCs but moreso as good NBL prospects and maybe fringe Boomers. Mitch Young moreso as a strong NBL role player. A lot depends on the work they put in as they are still young with their careers in front of them, but I dont think any of them will be star internationals.

I think what we need is a really good version of Worthington or Petrie who can play as a mobile PF, another Sam Mackinnon or Mika Vukona but preferably two inches taller. That is the gap in our talent pool for mine. PG looks solid, very solid if the unlikely happens with Irving. The wings are reasonably good though lacking a bit of depth, and the bigs are strong, particularly if Khazzouh or even Ogilvy can develop their outside game.

Perhaps if Worthington got in the gym and shot 500 shots per day he could be that player, but I am not sure that is going to happen. Jesse Wagstaff is a prospect but I dont think he will be any better than Wortho or Petrie.

Still, if Matt Knight could step up as another Nielsen we can at least have that spot covered with a meat and potatoes guy, with Wortho also able to play minutes when we go small and one of the bigs when we go tall.

Reply #321858 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754