annon
Years ago

Under 20 Basketball return

Does anyone think BSA should bring back Under 20 Basketball and play it late on Friday nights?

After Under 18's ,some players and parents never get to play at their home courts again, reducing the amount of volunters at your club and the sense of being part of a club.

Some players are not ready for the Under 23 game and I think it should be at least discussed( if they do that in BSA) as players are looking for an alternative.

I think they still have U20 in Victoria and it should at least be discussed at the Comp Committee level

Thoughts

Topic #25781 | Report this topic

Oberon 73  
Years ago

No, next question!

Reply #321947 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Under 23's is good. Keeps the participation rates high, and the standard high. (As opposed to 20's, with low participation rates across clubs, and poor standard).

If players are not ready, thats what Under 23 div 2 and 3 are for. You have 4 years to work your way up.

Reply #321948 | Report this post

Demios  
Years ago

RJ,

Actaully participation rates have dropped. As a number of players have left the sport and team numbers have decreased and teams are playing with less and less each week. And some players are playing that and Div 2 seniors.

Reply #321957 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Demios - there is no way known that participation has dropped. Considering youth league goes to Div 5, where as I don't think 20's ever went past div 2. Def more participation!

Or are the naysayers 18 and 19 year old kids who played div 1 18s but aren't good enuf for YL div 1??

Reply #321958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U23 has got to be the worst competition going around.
Especially div 2 and below. If this is where our next crop of ABL players are sitting waiting to develop, I will dance naked at the ABL grandfinal. Get out and catch a gander at these games. Poor skills, poorly reffed, nothing but a thug fest. Social is better.
Girls are much the same and they only have 2 division.

Reply #321959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find many of the good U23 Div 1 teams are made up with a high proportion of ABA players and that their Div 2 teams are very strong and made up of kids straight out of U18's or 1st year U20's. Some of the better teams would compete favourably with the bottom Div 1 teams.

I think some elements of U23's has been good and others bad. For example not having fully timed Div 2 games as previously indicated is not a step forward and the notion of having pools at that level distorts the results. Fix these up and then I think we will have a better competition.

Reply #321961 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

You may think it is the worst comp going around, but would a u20 comp be better? That was the proposal.

Kids who don't make 20 1s or 2s have to go straight to div 4/5 which is much worse comp than what 23 2s and 3s is.

If there wasn't 23s then the only development div would be div 2 seniors. With 23s we have div 1 and 2, and seniors div 2.

Reply #321964 | Report this post

Money bags  
Years ago

You need to check some div 1 games , there are plenty of players that play 23 and get good abl minutes if not start.

A couple of clubs though seem to have little or no link.

Woodville, eastern, west.

North, southern , south, sturt, centrals. eagles, All have starters playing abl and 23s

Reply #321965 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

Oh and YL div 1 is not primarily made up of ABA players. North and Southern yes, most other clubs no.

I am also refering to mens not womens.

Reply #321966 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Participation rates are definitely higher. How can it not be .. Under 23's has 5 age groups to make up numbers, as opposed to 2.

Just imagine taking only the Under 20 players from each 23's team. It would become a 3v3 comp.

Under 20's used to be a fair joke of a competition. Whilst 23's may not be perfect, in my opinion it is a step forward from Under 20's.

I wish U23's competed in state champs though, like U20's did.

Reply #321976 | Report this post

Ariel 53  
Years ago

U20's had 3 divisions and previously had 4. Girls had 2.

Plus alot of these players where playing div 4/5 men.

More players are playing 2 games now. A senior men and an U23.

Bu tthe total number of players has decreased die to a decrease in retention.

Reply #321982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bu tthe total number of players has decreased die to a decrease in retention"

Any actual proof Ariel? Or is this just propoganda?
Cos it seems to me numbers have actually increased.
Either way, 23s is a FAR better competition.

Reply #321996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at this stage U23s has seems to be good, however, don't like the south/north pool situation in div 3. would have been better to combine the 2 pools and be done with it.

Reply #322033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ammon - you need to check your facts. Have a look at some of the teams this week, especially Sturts

Reply #322034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is also a wierd North South Pool set up in Div 2's which will distort teams qualifying for the finals - weak North pool v Strong South pool

Reply #322035 | Report this post

Ammon  
Years ago

I know who plays for what teams anon - and yes there are ABL players In each squad, however certainly not the majority.

Southern - starters include Turner, Florence, Ellison

Norwood - starters include Howell

Eastern - starters Hautop

Sturt - usually Daly, Warbout and Marriott gets minutes.

North - starters Bond, Brine, Lycett

South - Starters include Omamogho

Centrals - Carlin

West - Nil

Eagles - Boonstopple, Doyle

Woodville - Nil

Somewhat accurate me thinks.
Certainly not the majority that's for sure. Certainly alot of players getting sub 10 minutes but only to give starters a breather.

Reply #322052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ammon,

From the top of my head I am aware of the following differences and there may be more

Marriott doesn't start but OT gets minutes as well as Karetta.

Brine doesn't start but Elliott did before being injured

What is interesting is that many of these players have many more years left in U23's. What happens to the competition as we will have a quiet period with people leaving U23's but more entrants will continue to come into U23's from U18's. I think this will just continue to grow the quality of this competition

Reply #322055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South - Kyle Howe-Tipene has started a couple of games for South ABL and also plays Under 23s.

Brine doesn't start for North.

Reply #322056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754