gun dad
Years ago

coaching accreditation suggestion

hey I know coaches have Level 1,2 accreditation.

But they should also be awarded bonus / annual points for attending any endorsed clinics.

i.e the marty clark session, liam flynn etc etc

Also what ever happened to the australian basketball coaches association ?

Topic #25838 | Report this topic

gun dad  
Years ago

for example to hold a level 1 you need to attend a certain amount of clinics to stay current etc - may only need to be one a year.

Reply #322833 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

And if they do not hold accreditation they are not allowed to coach?

Reply #322837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm involved at VC level in VIC and i have no coaching accreditation, its overrated in my opinion

Reply #322839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know coaches who coach ABA level with no accreditation!

It's more for beginner coaches to get a grasp of the game and the basic principals.

Reply #322844 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I went through and got my Level 1, and then after a few years went through and got my level 2, needless to saty I learnt a lot. There is however IMO a lot of work involved in keeping your accreditation and therefore I believe it is cverrated to remain accredited.

Do the course, you will pick up some great tips, tricks and ideas - get the accreditation, but then do not necessarily worry about maintaining your accreditation unless you have aspirations to become a a coach at state or national level.

Reply #322848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gundad this is exactly the case. Just because you've done a level 2 course doesn't mean ur a L2 Coach. You do have to be coaching at a certain level, for certain number of hrs and attend certain courses, run courses etc.

I'd disagree that courses are a waste of time. The game changes rapidly, different trends and practices occur every few yrs, different styles come up and you need to stay ontop of your game, just like when you were a player.

People who say they don't need coaching courses and don't need to improve their knowledge are normally smart ar*se, sh*t coaches. Hell at my course I had Jan Stirling, Neil GLiddon, Simon Pritchard, the physio from the AUstralian Opals and others. If you reckon its a waste of time you are full of yourself.

Reply #322850 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree - coaching courses are definitely not a waste of time.

Reply #322852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But doing a course doesn't make you a good coach!!

Reply #322855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then explain how the coaches attending these courses are the ones screwing up junior development these days? Too much emphasis being put on running offences and structure rather then putting the damn ball in the hoop.
Running away from the basic style of basketball and running transition and instead concentrating on running offences and trying to keep players under 100% their own control, rather then using players strengths to their own advanatage and just letting them do what they do best, play basketball.

Reply #322856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have done level 2 twice and they were vastly different courses, because of different presenters. These courses are good for picking up different things but if you have played at high level or gone through a decent junior program as a player you already know it all and much more, than will be offered here

Reply #322878 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

Coached for 7 years - domestic
Took all teams (4 x boys & 3 x girls) from C & D grade to A grade in 2 years - playing 2 seasons a year
after that concentrated on 1 team (7-8 players only) who went on to win 7 out of 9 A grade finals in 4 1/2 years

Went to 1 Coaches clinic only - no accreditation

Just letting the Players play and rotating evenly and giving advice on opposition strengths and weaknesses to players going on court - worked for me

Never coached Rep - found parents had to many hang ups and expectations

Never want to coach State - found Admin wanted it their way or not at all and that goes against my Let the Players play and the Coaches coach attitude

Great to get accreditation and go to all the different clinics to learn all the different techniques but then being able to pass it on to all players and to get it right = impossible

Reply #322928 | Report this post

Years ago

most bodies require some sort of accreditation structure for currency.

I go to as many of these sessions that my club or sasi / bsa organize and they are great.

I know it is volunteers etc - but I would like to see some structure of a paper quiz and a minimum of "x" amount of hours with a club head coach or some other clinic for each level.

Just a simple re-accreditation session.

I think it would improve coaching.

Reply #322931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Never want to coach State - found Admin wanted it their way or not at all "

So so true imnoballer. It's even worse here in SA!

Reply #322942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

imnoballer you remind me of this cats that say I never played at a high level because the trainings were too much/hard. Excuses for people that were afraid to really test themselves and want to be a big fish in their pissant pond.

Reply #322947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If imnoballer never coached rep or state, how would you know those things?

The parents i've come across in the rep scene have been generally alright in terms of expectations, most actually have little to no expectations. Coaching Rep is far more challenging and rewarding then domestic, as domestic coaching is relatively easy, the highest level is only so good, and you can just have a bunch of top level rep players and you'll get results, in rep the level is always improving as the season continues, and you always have to push the team to improve.

But i do agree state selections across the country are usually based by name instead of always the best talent

Reply #322948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaching state is closed shop

Reply #322956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It certainly won't get any more open with what happened this year in one age group.

Its quite sad really, there are a lot of good people who can't or won't get involved because they don't play the politics.

Reply #323024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:18 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754