Jack Toft
Years ago

Men's Final 5

Another tight season in the mens too. Eagles, Flames, Bearcats and Sabres can all put off their Mad Monday because they're playing finals. Mavs, Lions and Tigers can all drown their sorrows. Those three teams can fight it out for the wooden spoon. Whilst the Tigers look set to secure it, the Mavs have got one foot in the grave and while the Lions might catch them, another McKillop miracle could see the Tigers off the bottom.

5th spot comes down to 3 teams.
North (5th 8-6)
South (6th 7-7)
Woodville (7th 7-8)

North have Mavs, @Lions, @Tigers and Eagles to finish up with. They have beaten all four so far this season, so for them, 12-6 is not out of the question, but 10-8 most likely. Fans would be disappointed if they ended up 9-9.
South have West, @Sturt, Flames, @Mavs. A tough run home and should end up 9-9. They need to win all 4 to make sure of finals so destiny is in their own hands.
Woodville have @Flames, Mavs and @Lions. They need all 3 to get up, but are likely to fall just short after a loss to the Flames. An upset away win keeps them in the hunt.

The battle in the bottom half has taken an interesting turn. Lions are now +5 on the split with the Mavs and are one game behind them. They finish up with @Tigers, North, @Eagles, @Flames, and Woodies. Mavs go @North, Eagles, @Woodville, and South. The Mavs could end up 0-4 on their run home and so the final game of Lions-Woodville could be a dead rubber for Woodville, might just see the Lions with added incentive to get a W and send the Mavs to 9th. For the Tigers to get off the bottom, they need to get some unlikely wins against @West and @Sturt.

I reckon North with round out the 5 with South lamenting the season.

Topic #25847 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Great summary Jack Toft! There is still a possibility that Sturt cant make it but they probably would have to lose every game from now on which is unlikely.

South Losing to Tigers away and Woodville at home and North Beating Norwood was what really hurt them from making the finals. While they probably should have made it, it wouldn't have been easy for them with DJ missing a few games to start the season and Creek missing several games during the season. I think teams that have made it would be more happy that North made it rather then South.

Reply #323053 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think Sturt have just snuck in. Good point with South. They would be dangerous if they got into the finals and I am sure many teams would prefer to be playing North than be playing South.

Reply #323060 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Prefer to be playing South?

North have beaten Forestville, Sturt and now Norwood all on the road and last week went down to West in a close one! And they beat Norwood with thier only big doing his ankle very early.

Who have South managed to beat in that top group?

I admit I was one who thought North would be terrible this year but I have flipped on that and think they are the most under rated team in the league! And most dangerous at that!

Do you really want to play a team who has won something ridiculous like 17 of 21 on the road the last two years? (could be a little off on that stat but close!)

Reply #323066 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

North have certainly done much better then expected however don't get too carried away there. Their wins over Sturt and Eagles was with Rhys Carter playing. With no Carter a full strength South would be more dangerous.

Reply #323072 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

West have a tough run home. Could they miss out if they lose three? How about four? (I looked up the ladder but all of the "what ifs?" made my head hurt)

Reply #323089 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754