donkey
Years ago

Salum Stoudemire to the Breakers!

Fringe NBA PG/Cousin of Amare is apparently close to signing with NZ as Braswells replacement.

Anyone know much about him? how tall is he? Lemanis just on tv saying he's close. Wilkinson all but signed up also.

Topic #25849 | Report this topic

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Is this taking the piss?

If not, I liked him when he played for Arizona. Nice shot and handles. Played a few season in the ATL but never latched on anywhere after his rookie deal was up.

He's about 6"1 and is Damon's cousin.

Reply #323067 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

From memory, I thought it is Salim, not Salum, and he is the cousin of Damon Stoudamire, not Amare Stoud-E-mire, but i may be wrong.

I remember him playing against Sturt at Pasadena when he, Luke Walton and Channing Frye played the Sabres on their college tour of Australia (he played for Lute Olsen's Wildcats)

I remember him being short but atheltic, clearly rememeber him throwing down a HUGE leaner dunk on the baseline, which lifted the roof.

He was fun to watch, and would be great to see in the NBL.

Reply #323068 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is an overview from Draft Express:

"A pure left-handed shooter who makes a living behind the arc. Lacks ideal size, strength, and athleticism by NBA standards, and has struggled with conditioning problems in the past. Has everything you look for and them some in a shooter. May not see his role expand much during his career unless he develops better point guard skills. Isn't a great locker room presence and has had his share of problems in the past. Considered somewhat moody and aloof. Had some problems at Arizona, but put up some ridiculous shooting numbers as a senior. Shooting consistency will determine the interest he receives when he enters free agency this offseason. Cousin of Memphis point guard Damon Stoudamire."

No surprise to me that Lemanis has gone after a shooter.

Salim Stoudamire averaged 9.7 ppg in his rookie year for the Atlanta Hawks and shot a blistering 38% from 3 point land and 90 % from the FT line.

Wow this signing could be huge!
Check him out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4LTs7yiIg&playnext=1&list=PL5286011B4A9E2694

Reply #323075 | Report this post

donkey  
Years ago

Id say this is the type of guys we get thanks to the nba lockout. Should be good for the league. Also my bad, assumed he was related to amare but obviously not.

Reply #323076 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Didnt seem to have a great year in the NBA D last year but obviously has some real talent. The Breakers have a good track record of getting ex-NBAers or other good imports so this wouldnt be a surprise, surprised other teams dont use the service NZ do. What's Stoudamire's defence like?

Reply #323079 | Report this post

solly  
Years ago

Whats the service NZ uses?

Reply #323080 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Last I heard Salim went to Europe shortly, but ended his stint and went back to the states. Hasn't been playing Professional basketball at all. Was focusing on his religion i believe...

Reply #323082 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Draft Express?? I cant remember for sure off the top of my head, one of the NZers on here will know.

Stoudamire played 50-odd games in the NBA D this past season. You could be right though, his religion could be basketball??

Reply #323086 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon listed this fellow as the toughest he has had to guard in his career FWIW....

Reply #323094 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

This guy and Penney on the same team. Gonna be trouble for all the other NBL teams this season if it happens!

Reply #323095 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Surely this has to trigger a cap investigation. If Chuckles allows NZ to pisstake again this season what is the point of having any rules.

Reply #323098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Donkey doesn't have the best track record. Grain of salt.

Reply #323103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be the bestvimport in the league since Hodge.

Reply #323105 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He didn't have the huge dunk of Forman, that was Bynum. He could flat out play when he was at Arizona, hopefully he can be as exciting to watch as he used to be

Reply #323106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, that monster dunk was Bynum. One of the biggest I have seen in person and he was probably under 6'!

Reply #323107 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yeah he's around 6' but can jump outrageously high. Remember after the game he had about 3 ice bags on each knee too lol

Reply #323108 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz, because he is related to a current NBA player he must be being offered huge $ ?
NZ do not pay their imports big money, hence why Wilkinson has not jumped straight back on board, he is considering other offers but is rumored to be close to signing a 2 year deal.

Reply #323126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I asked someone here in Madrid with me if NZ pay their imports big money. He said "Yeah" then "Depends" then "Yeah". Wish I could convey the intonation via text. Do I think (if it's even on the cards, which I doubt) Salim would be getting paid *heaps*? No. Do I think NZ pay imports reasonably well? Yeah. Remember, it'd be compared to other imports in the league and not many would be getting paid outrageously.

Reply #323127 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I heard D-League pays jack all, like 30k USD for a top level player..

In that case, Im sure Salim would just be happy to return to a professional league that was paying a bit more than that. Wouldn't take big bucks for his signature..

Reply #323128 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, I think 'depends' is the correct answer. Wilkinson last year and Rickert in his last year were apparently not on big money, even by NBL standards. Some of the others...

It seems most teams in the league pay one import well and look for a bargain/role player with the other spot. That's where the lockout could have an impact with more teams having two good imports instead of just one.

Did anyone else in NZ see Lemanis on the TV talking about Stoudamire?

Reply #323130 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

@Mystro just as well beacuse after they pay Penny and CJ there aint much left to go around.

Reply #323131 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree that Penney will get paid well, CJ will def get paid ok but the rest of the team.

Abercrombie=not paid a lot
Pledger=not paid very much
Webster=bugger all
Boucher=average to bugger all
Vukona=average to reasonable pay
Anthony=bugger all
and then 2 Imports who are not on big Import $

? now tell me that that can't work under the salary cap

Reply #323134 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anon, re: best import in the league since Hodge

Carlos Powell who played for NZ a few years ago was way better player than Hodge will ever be.
Great offensive player but didn't have a strong team around him nor a desire to get them involved. Last I heard of him he was playing pre season in Vegas

Reply #323136 | Report this post

garyablett  
Years ago

Vukona's on good money, blaze offered 110k so obviously on about the same at nz for him to leave gc.

Reply #323140 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

or maybe he would rather live at home in NZ with his family and friends and play with his mates from the Tall Blacks?

Reply #323142 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Carlos Powell was extremely talented but not a great player because of his selfishness and lack of interest in defence. Hodge was brilliant offensively in his first stint but he wasnt as good after that, particularly in Melbourne, and his defence was atrocious.

Those two were great talents, but the guys I rate the highest are the likes of Chris Williams, McKee, Ervin, Wilkinson and Dave Thomas (with good knees) who are very effective but willing to play within the system.

Reply #323144 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

I Will take a stab based on what i have heard

Kirk 300
CJ 250
Mika 110 ( matched blaze offer)

thats 660 and we have 5 players and 2 imports to go

Higher quality import 150
Lower quality import 100

Abercrombie 60k
If the other 4 are on minimum ( and they are not but lets play along ) that totals 128k

Grand Total of $1,098,000

Reply #323145 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt everything Breakers players receive comes under $1mill, but I dont know that means they are breaking the cap as there are most likely promotional payments from outside parties. As for Vukona, I dont think the Breakers would necessarily have had to match the Blaze's offer to get him home to NZ.

Reply #323148 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Those payments are part of the players income and therefore are to be included in calculating the cap.

Most certianly the elephant in the room for the NBL.

Reply #323151 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just wondering, If guys like Abercrombie, Pledger and Webster etc. are doing regional coaching in schools and get paid by say the Auckland Basketball Association or the regional sports comission does that count towards the cap?

My initial thought was surely it wouldn't.

You would think these players would be doing alot of coaching in schools etc and getting payments from the local association. Because Abercrombie was on 2.5k a week from my sources (Would say this isnt entirely from the Breakers)

Reply #323152 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Though it is worded poorly on the NBL website, I suspect outside income is permitted provided it is not from a source connected to the club (ie sponsors, owners etc) and the NBL is notified that it is taking place.

I dont think the NBL could legally stop a player from earning outside income unless it was actually coming from the club or associates.

Reply #323154 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Ricey/Isaac, that's right it was Bynum, Will Bynum right?

Agree Isaac, that was one of the biggest i have seen in the flesh.

Salim could still be great to watch, sounds like he can shoot the lights out.

How will teams guard against him and Penney on the court at the same time?

Reply #323155 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

every player in the Breakers (apart from Penney and Wilkinson) also has income from playing in the NZNBL.

Reply #323157 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZNBL's No1 sponsor is also one of the Breakers biggest sponsors, Bartercard.
Does that mean that Breakers players wages count against the NBL cap? ;)

Reply #323158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are looking for a conspiracy theory, then yes!!

Reply #323179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro, Salim Stoudamire is not related to Amare StoudEmire but is the cousin of former NBA player Damon Stoudamire now an assistant at the Grizzlies I believe.

On Abercrombie he's just re-signed with the Breakers and would be for decent money too after having NBA scouts come out and look at him during last season and winning GF series MVP too.

The Breakers are already being investigated for possible third party sponsor rorts through the supermarket chain owned by someone involved in the consortium of owners at the Breakers.

Reply #323188 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Abercrombie hasnt re-signed with the Breakers, he is in the third year of his original contract. His announcement a few weeks ago was simply that he would exercise his European out clause.

While the Breakers may or may not be over the cap, all four playoff teams are being investigated, just as BA said they would when they took over the league two years ago.

Reply #323193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty easy to just make up numbers and then say "see! they must be over the cap! Because I made this up so it is true!"

Anyone bother to think of the fact that the Breakers would pay salaries in NZ$?

And have recruited almost all kiwi players, who won't automatically be converting their salaries to AU$ to compare its value? If cost of living is about the same, then a $1 is worth a $1 for where you live.

Exchange rate is about $.78, so NZ$100k is only AU$78k in the cap, but is still worth $100k if you live all year in NZ.

Its far easier to point fingers and yell "cheats!", but logic suggests there may be another story.

Reply #323196 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great point Anon. Never though of it like that.

Reply #323200 | Report this post

kb3  
Years ago

My numbers are in Aussie dollars and am happy to stand by them until proven wrong

Reply #323201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salim Stoudamire in this Breakers team could be disastorous for any other team with their eye on the number 1 prize, you can't leave this guy for a milisecond and he will punish you, great pickup.

And along with Kirk Penney and CJ, and if they can a solid inside scoring import, damnn!!

Reply #323203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, Salim is NOT playing for the Breakers this season! I asked someone I know who is friends with Salim, and he said Salim is close to signing in Europe. What's your "source", OP?

Reply #323205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^If you read it says Lemanis on TV

Reply #323210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob Beveridge said on TV that the Wildcats have signed Kobe Bryant. Wow, see how easy that was. Shows us proof he said this!

Reply #323211 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I did not see the said TV report where Lemanis apparently said he is close to signing him nor have I seen this statement mentioned on any other NZ media site.
Breakers are going to have to sign the 16yo grocery packer from PaknSave Albany to run the point and keep under the cap ;)

Reply #323222 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In fairness, Stoudamire could be close to signing in Europe to play alongside CJ Bruton.

Reply #323223 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Paul are you channelling Boti with that comedic performance?

Reply #323229 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

has anyone else seen any mention of this in the media?

Reply #323469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, because it's bullshit.

Reply #323479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754