pwned
Years ago

Update on Ervin

Whispers surrounding American guard and reigning NBL MVP Gary Ervin's rumoured defection to Adelaide are getting louder, leaving the Hawks with the task of recruiting two new imports.

http://bit.ly/mRb1t0

Topic #25868 | Report this topic

bretts the man  
Years ago

Sixers have had edge over Hawks with their offer has not been issue but that is still a long way from getting him to sign to come to Sixers and our offer seem to being used to help get a Euro deal.
And even in his words coming back to Aus. is not his priority.

Reply #323337 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i am seriously getting annoyed about this! have they set a date as to when the contract expires so he is forced to sign it with in a reasonable time. it is just becoming really annoying considering he was meant to make his mind up about 2 months ago.

Reply #323339 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Why dont you all leave him & Wollongong alone & find your own diamond in the rough?

Reply #323340 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

because we don't live in a fantasy land with fields of pretty flowers and puppies. its a dog eat dog world, if someone is good enough then they are good enough to poach, thats how the world works. a tablespoon of cement may fix this.

Reply #323343 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Adelaide should keep looking for a pg (which I am sure they are) but keep the offer to Ervin on the table. If they find someone comparable make him an offer and see who signs first. No need to give Ervin an ultimatum unless there is someone else in the frame.

Reply #323354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Marty do some of his own import recruiting seeing as he is so good at it.

Reply #323359 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

^ Pretty certain thats what he is doing. he is trying to sign up Ervin, which i believe falls under the category of recruiting.

Reply #323364 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hey Anon he is not doing his unproven NBL import recruiting because he is crap about it , where got 4 wrong last year . Horribly wrong by the way .
Question regarding waiting for answer from Ervin is are we losing a good import option by waiting or are we opening up a new one by waiting.
I would like feedback from those that keep a eye on all the leagues etc what posters believe who could be a import PG option.
As I personally think Ervin is jerking us around although understand he would be the answer for us but dont think Homicide is

Reply #323372 | Report this post

Tigers Watcher  
Years ago

Homicide is all about homicide so we should dismiss any thoughts of bringing him into our group!

Crowe - NZBL PG who is a star in that league.

Grizzard - SF option now that all teams are playing small ball would help give us length. Number have been good in NZBL now that he has his body right and he would come cheap

Glider - SF/PF Option was starting to hit some really good form late last year!

Drapa - Putting up big numbers in Euro but probably above our pay range.

Reply #323381 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Anon - Just like Wollongong recruited their very own Dusty Rychart for example.

Oops.

Every club will who is looking for an import will try to recruit unsigned proven imports within the leageu. Why spend money trying to research an "unknown" when you can spend a season viewing an in-league import?

Reply #323387 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bretts, I wouldn't say DeVries was bad, he just got injured. But yes, we are due for a couple of good imports at the Sixers. Not sure how you know exactly who is doing the import selections at the Sixers though? Would have thought it would be a combo of Marty and the GM, with input from other key people round the club.

With Ervin, nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes on both ends, so its pointless for posters to keep having a crack at the club for not either signing him yet or moving on. I know everyone is desperate for the Sixers to land him, but lets have a little patience until some worthwhile news emerges.

Tigger Watcher, I liked what Gilder brought to Sydney late last season too, but might not be the best option for Sixers now, given they already have Weigh and Creek at SF.

Grizzard, absolutely not, the Sixers brought him in as a mid-season replacement when Hodge skipped out on us a couple of years back and he was not reliable enough to be an import player. He is also another SF.

Reply #323388 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

because thats the logical method.

Reply #323389 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yes Beantown De Vries was best of bad bunch but far from successful and even without injury might have been cut.
But also he was not a unknown import I just remembered having been at West Syd. from memory and even think had done something with Marty before.
Seeing it close to 10 weeks not 10 days when Ervin was going to be signed I think Sixers and all fans been very patient .
Concerns here are 2 weeks ago they admitted could not get to talk with him .
If they think we still have good chance hang in there bit longer but hope we dont get horribly wrong again.
Tigerwatcher is Draper the one that played at Kings

Reply #323392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bretts, what makes you think the 6ers are doing nothing but waiting for Ervin. Be as patient or impatient as you like all you deserve to know is when they have a signature. Just because you are sick of waiting does not mean they are wrong by not telling you ?

Reply #323394 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well anon read my post and yours 3 times and still cant work out your response .
If you see posts as criticsm thats fine but just posting thoughts and only criticsm was how wrong we got it last year with imports.
And asking what options posters thought were out there as even Clarke has said they have looked at other options.
I am along with others are a strong loyal Sixer fan ,you I suspect are just a stirring target shooter

Reply #323402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is over reted!! Put him in a team say Perth, NZ Evev Cairns team last yr, he looked better there at the gong because he had the ball all nyt. Teams got to no how he played n id rather get homicide, as much as i hate him being a cats supporter, way better than erving!! Adelaide needs a spark on an off the court!!

Reply #323409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the Corey

Reply #323411 | Report this post

Perhaps  
Years ago

Perhaps he's torn and doesnt want to leave the Hawks with a great coach like Mcloed and is hoping they can up their offer to something near what 6ers to make it justifiable to stay there. If he wanted to come here, he would have signed ages ago as the money is a lot more.

Reply #323414 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

There's not going to be some magical offer from the Hawks. They have offered him the maximum they can afford and Ervin knows that, however the offer will still be on the table until a replacement is signed. Ervin won't be returning to the Hawks.

McCleod just returned from a 2 week recruitment trip to the USA and has up to 5 possible replacements already.

In response to the Rychart "poaching", the Hawks have always signed the players nobody else wants. There's no way Dusty left Adelaide for more money.

Reply #323445 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Actually, Dusty left Adelaide for plenty of more money , when he went to Brisbane.

Reply #323451 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

bretts the man, I think we got the combinations of imports wrong last year, i think if we had Shannon and DeVries from the start, that would have made a better combo. Shannon would have been getting DeVries more open looks instead of DeVries trying to force things

Reply #323453 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Fair point Big Sexy De Vries was the one that could have worked .
Shannon had good and bad points but the thing that crapped me off at the end was him holding the ball for so long and then give it to wrong option then get it back with no time and would stuff it up in haste.
Bit of a concern is though, do the imports have a problem playing game Clarke wants.
Thinking back to Howards first game where moved around attacked basket but from then on spent a lot of time sitting in corners .
So the positive here is he must want Ervin for the way he played last year .
The task of getting Ervin is not getting him to Adelaide but getting him back to Australia.

Reply #323459 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

for years that was the same prob NZ had with Henare running the point, fluffing around at the top until the shot clock had almost expired and then finally pass to someone for them to jack up a contested shot. Situation improved with personnel changes and Henare ended up doing a great job last season.

Reply #323461 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

bretts, Howard's first game was a lot of luck and cheap baskets anyway. I don't think a whole lot changed with time.

pwned, I don't think this is much of an update for the 36ers. As you said, Hawks' money situation hasn't changed and they've only just mentioned the 36ers as a better chance than them, not much more.

Realistically, someone like SRT gets upset when there's no update, but is critical of the club for announcing a target and then not giving an update (because perhaps there can be no update). Can't win.

Reply #323476 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I would think that theNBA lockout will help us to get Ervin's signature. With a lot of NBA quality players signing deals in Europe now, someone like Ervin will be pushed further down the food chain on imports that are available. I'm hoping within the next month Euro teams sgn up a couple more NBA players and Ervin realises he is better off signing with the Sixers.

Reply #323478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754