Jack Toft
Years ago

R15 ABL Action

Woodville and Sturt have a rest this weekend. I wonder what Woodville will do with a Saturday night free, anyone seen HP7 yet? I am sure Sturt will be beside themselves and may have to watch a game to get their basketball fix.

North vs East @ Hillcrest
Women: North should continue their hunt for finals. But, my challenge to the Lady Mavs remains, a drought breaking win will see a $100 donation to their end of year trip fund and I encourage all Hoops fans to follow me like a congo line.
Men: It's running of the bulls time in Spain and North are dressed appropriately in white and red to face the "Eastern Bulls". Over in Spain there’s always some Aussie gored by a bull, but I think the Rockets might be safe from goring and are on a roll after their win against Norwood. They may end up playing with the Mavs like a cruel owner plays with a dog with a laser pointer. Could the SS Mavs sink to 9th?

South vs West @ Marion
Women: South need to get a good win here to keep their finals chances alive. West are already in finals and could afford to give South half a chance, but they won’t. South have won 5 of their last 6 and have destiny in their own hands. When the Panthers shoot well, they win games - gee wizz, would never have guessed that!
Men: South have a slim chance of making the 5 and need to have the focus of a bomb disposal expert to blow West out of the water tonight. It’s games like these they wish that Creek was playing (assume he is still away). Still, just means others need to be like a young boy at a urinal and step up. West are masters at tight games. 11 of their games this season have been +/- 8 with 6 going their way and 5 not. South are masters of their home court with an average score of 92 to 89 jagging 5 from 7, whereas on the road they deliver 80 to 82 resulting in 2 from 7. Last time they met it was West by 8 on the packing crate floor of the Port, tonight in the dusty tin shed, South might be playing for a bit more and if DJ gets to play a full game, South might be knocking of the 5 for another week.

Eagles vs Flames @ Wayville
Women: The Eagles look like they are the only team with half a chance of extinguishing the Flames who look like they could pull off the perfect season. On their home court they could do that, (can you imagine the Eagles crowd going feral?) but Norwood have had two scares and Simon says there won’t be a third.
Men: MOTR. The Forestville Jedis have snuck into top spot after Norwood sneezed, so the Flames will not only want top spot back, but will want to send the Eagles a message for the finals. The Jedi battled the Sith last week and their skills in “defence against the dark arts” will be tested once more. This will be bigger than a Slytherin v Gryffindor Quidditch match. Could be a tough job for the seekers, but remember no “Quaffle-pocking”. Last time they met, the Jedi got up by one after a defensive error. These teams will meet again and we all know the script says Gryffindor wins in the end. Who will catch the golden snitch?

Tigers vs Lions @ The Vale
Women: A must win game for both teams. The Lionesses won last time and are +15 on the split. The Safari Cup has never been so important for both teams and in this battle of the big cats only the sharpest claws will win. This will get down to who can handle the pressure and who can focus. A parochial crowd should generate more noise than a Lady Gaga concert and might just be the difference to help the Tigeresses limp over the line.
Men: The horse has bolted, the gate is shut, the keys to the cellar are on the table and the Lions are +11 on the split. I think the Lions will miss the Carlinator and this will even up the contest, but regardless of the result, the Tigers are rebuilding and will end up in the cellar, so I’m tipping the Lions to jump the “NBL’s 10th team” with a win tighter than the security at Azkaban.

Topic #25870 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Excellent Report as always. It should be a good weekend.

I am tipping

North (Men,Women)
South (M), West (W)
Norwood (M, W)
Tigers (M), Lions (W)

Reply #323576 | Report this post

Trigger  
Years ago

It must be hard to come up with so many jokes. Tigresses to win

Reply #323577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville over Norwood in a major upset

Reply #323703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south women over west by 18

Reply #323704 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep. Eagles over Norwood in a close game. With the usual Norwood bogans present in the crowd, it was good to see the underdogs get up.

Reply #323707 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep. Eagles over Norwood in a close game. With the usual Norwood bogans present in the crowd, it was good to see the underdogs get up.

Reply #323708 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Thanks for the continuing supply of info about basketball Jack. Absolutely sweet fanny Adams here in Paris about any sport except tour of France (and cadel hardly gets a mention, poor bugger). Not even bull fighting, .... I see anonymous part b continues to supply enough negatives as tho he is the bull....

Reply #323711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"usual Norwood bogans in the crowd"....grow up!

Reply #323713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure the norwood crowd last night in the mens was good for the game!

Reply #323714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West men defeated South by about 9 I think. West up my big amount for most of the game until south made a good figt back and kept game interesting. Would that basically close the door on souths finals?

Reply #323715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah West had an awesome game! Was great game to watch.

Reply #323716 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Woodville and South can make finals if Sturt and/or North drop the last 3 games, and Wood/South win the next 3... Another top 5 for finals could come down to the last round again

Reply #323719 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Pretty much no chance at all that South or Woodville can make it now.

North have to play @Centrals, @Tigers, Eagles
Sturt have to play South, @West Adelaide, Tigers

North will probably win 2 out of 3
Sturt will probably win 2 out of 3

Reply #323721 | Report this post

The Matrix  
Years ago

Thanks to Norwood and Forestville for again producing high quality basketball. Nice to know there are some people who actually support their CABL team and don't just sit there half-heartedly.

Reply #323723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals Women defeated Southern by 15 or so. Southerns poor free throw shooting and rebounding cost them the game.

Centrals Men over Southern by 10ish. Centrals had no Carlin but still outclassed this years new wooden spooners.

Reply #323741 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

So did Forestville men win over the Flames or was it just the women people are talking about? Left at half time in the men's game and Norwood were 9 points up and seemed in control - the Eagles lacking height with Neil out to counter the strong Norwood defence.

Reply #323746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood men got home by 8ish

Reply #323747 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

mahoney = awesome

Reply #323748 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Norwood won by about 7 I think. Crowd was fantastic!

Reply #323749 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

anyone know the centrals / tigers womens score?

Reply #323752 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

sorry just saw it above

Reply #323753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the south crowd gave some good entertainment

Reply #323757 | Report this post

the crowd  
Years ago

norwood bogans hahaha

how are pepole from norwood bogans ?

Reply #323770 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Quite agree. To call a Norwood fan a bogan is unfair to bogans.

Reply #323774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The atmosphere they created which in turn got eagles fans vocal was awesome. Def need more games like that!

Reply #323781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood fans were great. definately created a 'finals' atmosphere.

Reply #323799 | Report this post

the crowd  
Years ago

thats rite we have to be the best club fan group in the CABL going around.

call us bogan but really your just upset because we love to see our team win more then you do.

Reply #323835 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Only fashionable attire in the Norwood squad (second only to Sturt). Plenty of popped collars, RM William's boots, mummy's pearls and country road shirts. Imagine extras from a GQ photo shoot. Can anyone confirm the membership requirement for attire?

More like "Faux Bogan" - not an ugg boot, flannel shirt or Wingfield Blue packet in sight in the Norwood cheer squad, unfortunately.

Reply #323841 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Apparently the cucumber sandwiches after the Flames game were to die for.

Reply #323846 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

By the way Jack, your posts are a great initiative to keep interest up in local bball. Keep it up.

Reply #323848 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Lucy - I believe you had the privilege to watch the best low post player Norwood coach has seen in years
carla Borrego , go to work.?

Reply #323849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity a netballer is better than any of the wnbl players on show

Reply #323853 | Report this post

Years ago

carla should be playing wnbl

Reply #323854 | Report this post

The cuc sandwiches rock!

Reply #323866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

She's a basketball and netball player.

Reply #323869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a netball player using basketball to keep fit as I understand it. Chose netball over basketball and is successful. Unfortunately kids here in SA are told to choose between sports in metro/state as opposed to SAC where they encourage it so dual netball and basketball stars will be rare under present administrators. Helps to be that tall especially against the midgets at Abl level. How many quality posts in ABL?

Reply #323876 | Report this post

Katrina Evitts is. Just ask her and her dad!!!!

Reply #323877 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Carla has definitely given a spark of interest to the local women's comp and yes her low post work is unmatched. Her presence in the team has also brought out the best in the players around her and the Eagles look a real threat for the finals. Kept Keith Moon quiet for a while anyway ;-)

Reply #323952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carla dragged Forrestville from pretender to genuine contender and that's what a tall can do for a team.Without her, they are a fourth or fifth ranked team, with her they may go top. No defender in the league can match her for height and skill.

Reply #323955 | Report this post

Years ago

huge wingspan - gets a hand in the shooting lane nicely

Reply #323956 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Whats happened up the hill women 10th and men 9th,despite all the money that has obviously been spent on the men.....

Reply #323970 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Forestville may go top? Maybe a little emotive there huh?

Norwood run home...

Woodville @ home
@ Southern
Centrals @ home (double header weekend)
West @ home

I would call that 3 wins, potentially 4, giving them 16-2 or 17-1 for the season.

Forestville have
@Eastern
Centrals @ home
@ North

I would pencil in 2 wins, possibly also against North, which gives them at best 12-6 or 11-7.

No, they will NOT finish top.

Reply #323976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The top team is the one who wins the Grand Final...

Reply #323987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As always answer you aim low, the top is the grand final winner and your beloved norwood will finish an unhappy second.

Reply #323993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville wil scrape into the finals picture and will have a likely matchup with Sturt. I do recall Sturt have recently won over the eagles and I would imagine that the result would be the same.

Forestville played out of their skin against Norwood and shot their way out of the game and would have to produce atleast 2 more performances like that in finals to win the championship. Only scoring 22 points in the second half won't get you very far.

Reply #323998 | Report this post

Mike Chuck  
Years ago

Forestville women are every chance to go all the way - regular season/past results mean nothing... The Forestville-Norwood game was fantastic, and it was fantastic to hear some people actually supporting their team. The Forestville fans were the loudest they'd been all season in the fourth, and that was through trying to match the Norwood "bogans"!!!!!!

Reply #324015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville did play well, but Norwood did not play anywhere near their normal standard. If you watched Simons coaching Saturday night, he didn't seem bothered at all, didn't fire up at his players or refs, I think it was a case of scouting the eagles to see their hand, and they showed just about every card to him.

Reply #324039 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I'm interested to know as to who these Norwood bogans are.. the womens game seemed reasonably quiet, especially compared to the mens game. I think in the Forestville women played at their best and Norwood were clearly far from it, especially considering they were missing 1 or 2 players. Full credit to Forestville, definitely played the better basketball on the night but I think a Grand Final berth, let alone win, is a bit of a stretch.

Reply #324083 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

hot off the press

how would they know? or anyone else for that matter, she can't get on the court.

Reply #324232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles crowd vocal?
40 norwood supporters silenced 200 forestville supporters for the whole night

Reply #324282 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

AK47 - "I'm interested to know as to who these Norwood bogans are.. the womens game seemed reasonably quiet, especially compared to the mens game. I think in the Forestville women played at their best and Norwood were clearly far from it, especially considering they were missing 1 or 2 players. Full credit to Forestville, definitely played the better basketball on the night but I think a Grand Final berth, let alone win, is a bit of a stretch."

Called it a little too early it would appear champ..

Reply #329422 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Hmm...there is a need for humility in success as well.....

Just lost a bucket load of credibility Facts (not that you had THAT much being a Forestville fan :) )

Reply #329435 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

And the Forestville coach not shaking the hand of opposition coach after grand final win is a real class act.

Reply #329445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fan,

Haven't seen a record within ABL stats for coaches not shaking hands after a GF but there sure are records kept of the winners and the LOSERS!!!

Two minor premierships and two GF losses. Who did you get for the inspirational pre-game speech - perhaps a Collingwood coach of the past.

Just face it - whatever you say NORWOOD LOST!!

Reply #329447 | Report this post

All quiet  
Years ago

Fan,

Is that a fact..How did you notice that..Most would have been too busy watching the celebrations...

how do you know they didn't catch up after the initial celebration..

Reply #329637 | Report this post

The bullet  
Years ago

It was a total lack of respect shown for the opposition. The only reason it was such a good win was because of the quality of the Norwood team.
Perhaps there is some truth to the rumours traveling around about a change at eagle land ?

Reply #329693 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Move along...theres nothing to see here

Reply #329700 | Report this post

The Facts  
Years ago

The Bullet - If the opposition were of such quality how did they ever not win...

Perhaps they just weren't as good as what you think they were, or their opposition were better than you still give them credit for...

Either way, 70-58 tells the story...

Reply #330324 | Report this post

All quiet  
Years ago

I agree with "The Facts" above..

Eagles just too good & the whole finals no one rated them or gave them any chance...

every write up was sbout how lucky they had been rather than how good they actually were..

Reply #330462 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Because Jess foley having an off night had nothing to do with it. Forest illegal are just all mighty

Reply #330487 | Report this post

The Facts  
Years ago

I wonder why Foley all of a sudden had an off night...

Defence perhaps or just the 3rd year in a row the Eagles got lucky..

Marino, Nicki & now Foley all off games in the game that matters against the Eagles..

Reply #330533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754