Isaac
Years ago

Boomers Gold Coast training squad

'Golden Star' Boomers - Gold Coast Training Camp Squad (25 – 29 July 2011)
David Barlow, CAI Zaragoza, Spain
Aron Baynes, EWE Basket Oldenburg, Germany
Jason Cadee, Gold Coast Blaze
Peter Crawford, Townsville Crocodiles
Matthew Dellavedova, St Mary’s College
Anthony Drmic, AIS
Adam Gibson, Gold Coast Blaze
Hugh Greenwood, AIS
Igor Hadziomerovic, AIS
Joe Ingles, Regal FC Barcelona, Spain
Daniel Kickert, PGE Turow, Poland
Matt Knight, Perth Wildcats
Steven Markovic, Radni?ki Kragujevac, Serbia
Damian Martin, Perth Wildcats
Patty Mills, Portland Trailblazers, USA
Luke Nevill, Triumph Lyubertsy, Russia
Brad Newley, Lietuvos Rytas, Lithuania
Matt Nielsen, Olympiacos Piraeus
AJ Ogilvy, Besiktas, Turkey
Luke Schenscher, Townsville Crocodiles
Nate Tomlinson, University of Colorado
Jesse Wagstaff, Perth Wildcats
Stephen Weigh, Adelaide 36ers
Mark Worthington, Gold Coast Blaze

Topic #25882 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe something like the following. No room for picking players for experience, as this is a must win series.
Mills/Martin/Gibson
Newley/Crawford
Ingles/Barlow
Nielsen/Worthington/Knight
Schenscher/Ogilvy

On the other hand, who are the players that aren't included? Bogut, Andersen, Jawai, Khazzouh; who else?

Reply #323544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy would start in front of Schenscher IMO

Reply #323550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee?????

U gotta be shitting me!

Reply #323557 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aleks Maric, David Andersen and Nathan Jawai are notable absentees.

Bogut had already declared his unavailability.

Reply #323559 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Is Crawford there as the waterboy????
Unless he has been doing some amazing shooting practice he should not be in the side.
Martin does everything better and his lack of height shouldn't matter too much against NZ

Mills/Gibson(or Dellevadova)
Newley/Martin
Ingles/Barlow
Neilsen/Worthington
Luke/AJ
with Knight and one of Dellevadova, Greenwood, Hadziomerovic, Drimic or Creek

Add in Maric for AJ if Maric is fit by August

Reply #323563 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crawford's strength for this year is his ability to guard Penney. I think after a 40% 3p shooting season he wont shoot as bad as he did v China again, surely?

Maric to join the squad in August.

Reply #323566 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Do you get tired of having to repeat that sentence about Crawford's defence Paul?

Reply #323567 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Assuming his D is good, didn't notice it much in the China series.
I would still rather use Newly, Martin, Barlow or Ingles at SG.
Even if his shooting recovers I wouldn't say he is a better shooter then any those guys.

Reply #323569 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Did you watch last year's WCs? Newley is struggling big time. But regardless of that, Penney is the key. If we can close him down we go to the Olympics. We couldnt shut him down two years ago, so why not have someone like Crawford on the squad who has done a good job on him recently?

Reply #323570 | Report this post

tendai mzungu  
Years ago

No room for stephen hoare?

Reply #323572 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

For mine the concern wasn't just the fact Crawford missed so many threes against China, it was the way he missed them. Virtually every shot was a leaner or a fadeaway or one leg sticking out MJ style, even one three steps back from the line with a hand in his face. The one three he did make was a beautiful stroke shooting straight up and through the ball. Then he threw his hands up to the god's as if to say "Finally". No shit Sherlock! It went in because it was the one shot he took in a textbook manner.

Regarding Newley's woes, IIRC he was shooting 40% from three in Turkey for Besiktas before the WC's but then couldn't hit the side of a house. But in his defence, I'm pretty sure that at least two or three of his shots were 3/4 court prayers at the end of quarter's making it look perhaps a little worse than it really was. But he also struggled in Russia after the world's from distance. I just wonder whether his knee injury has affected him more in the past year than we are aware.

Reply #323574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a fan who this week observed the Hawks scrimmages with my son....Rhys Martin absolutely killed Nate Tomlinson! He could not guard him, period. Rhys should feel a little hard done by.

Side note- AJ Olgilvy.....is legit.

Reply #323582 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO, they have to make a selection out of Gibson or Martin for the backup PG shot.
I don't think it is a good idea to play Martin at the 2 spot..He is severely undersized and is not a notable outside shooter.

But I do think he deserves to be in the team, hence they should put him in at the backup PG spot. I love his defensive pressure and his hustle and heart.
Gibson didn't do anything at the WC to warrant selection.

Boomers have to watch selecting too many undersized guards..
Martin, Gibson, Mills, Greenwood, Delly are all PG's.
Yeah I know Greenwood played the 2 spot mostly at the FIBA u/19 WC's, but his size won't cut it here.
I would have liked to see them select Creek in the squad--might be a tweener, but at least he has size.

My lineup would be:

Mills/Martin/Dellavedova
Newley/Drmic
Ingles/Barlow
Nielson/Worthington
Schenscher/Ogilvy/Khazzou

Ingles v Barlow would be interesting--Naturally you would say Ingles, but Barlow is in good form at the moment and he shot the ball at 43 % in Spain (45/105). Either way, you wouldnt lose to much/gain too much if one or the other started.

I like Drmic as a 2 man. He has great size and length - 6"6 height and arms that never end.
He had a fantastic tournament in Lativa, and I give him the nod over Greenwood because he is ready for the International Game, whereas Greenwood could still improve his PG skills.

Reply #323585 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The shooting stat mentioned above for Barlow - 43 % (45/105) was 3 point FG's.

Reply #323586 | Report this post

vodka22  
Years ago

The Boomers coaches need to take a look at the way Diamonds coach Norma Plummer chose her netball team for the World Champs. She picked a team on form not reputation or name and they won in an amazing come from behind win. She ruffled a few feathers leaving out players that had made the team in the past and went with some fresh faces and it paid off. I am so tired of reading the names of the players invited to the Boomers camps and the training squads. Some of them don't deserve to be there and have done nothing to warrant selection but are there because of name and reputation. Even some that were terrible playing in the recent Youyi Games get another look and some that actually did well have been dropped, I cannot understand the thought process that goes on???

Reply #323587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an interesting one. Obviously one you are talking about is Crawford. Is he in poor form because of two poor games against China, or in good form from an excellent NBL season?

The Chinese team he played against probably wouldn't make the NBL playoffs, so his poor form wasn't because of a step up in level. I think he deserves another chance.

Very much doubt Drmic is ready for international men's basketball. He blitzed against Taiwan but the rest of his tournament was only ok.

Reply #323588 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Averaged 15.4 ppg on 67 % shooting FG, 44 % 3point FG and 70 % FT.

Rob Beveridge has tried to get him to the Wildcats (That was reported recently on nbl.com.au)

I believe he has all the attributes--Shooting, defensive pressure, size, speed-- to make the team.

Ask yourself this..Of the many young Boomers that have come through, how many of them have been more ready to play International Ball than Drmic? Fact is none of the last few (Delly, Cadee, Greenwood) have really been fully ready anyway.

In 3 out of the first 4 games, Drmic had 25 vs Argentina, 34 vs. Taipei and 22 vs. Russia.
After that he was literally hounded..Double-teamed everything. Which opened up the door for Greenwood to score..GWood was having an ok tournament, until he scored 20 + points in his last 3 games.

I believe Drmic is more than ready..Size wise and skill wise. Hell, teams like Virtus Bologna and Partizan Belgrade wanted him before he committed to Boise State.

At the end of the day, you need to put a young guy in there..Thats what the Boomers always tend to do.
And no point putting Greenwood=undersized 2 man and we don't need another PG.
Creek = no because he is a tweener and he isn't ready for international basketball either.

Drmic has full skill set.

Reply #323594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic was decent but not great against most of the good teams. List his game by game. Beveridge said he will try and recruit him when he finished college.

In 2-3 years he is a chance, but I want Australia to qualify for the Olympics, and that means picking wings who can compete with Penney and Abercrombie now, not in a few years.

Reply #323596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW, I thought your analysis up above that was pretty worthy.

Reply #323597 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Think Creek should be in this squad. Slashing 3 man, a type we need in a rounded team. Sam McKinnon did ok for Boomers...
Think he is a huge talent who can do everything except drain the 3. All players have their weak spots but this does not make him ineffective. Rondo goes ok and he has no 3pt game.

Reply #323603 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Creek is not even close to ready for a senior mens International team yet. Let the kid show he can play at NBL level first. 4-5 years time, I expect he will be there, maybe sooner. But there are 50+ more deserving players who could be selected above him at the moment. Just because you have talent and could be anything in the future, does not get you into the Boomers in my book.

Reply #323604 | Report this post

Jokester  
Years ago

WTF ????????? No EXUM ?????

Surely after his meteoric rise in Status as the next best thing in BBall, he warrants a starting 5 position

Me thinks Daddys lawyers might get a recall if someone gets dunked on and it isnt Jnr

Reply #323613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a little dissapointed by a few selections here.. I understand were low on big men, but I dont think Luke Nevill or Aron Baynes are really that good at all... there just not international level big men and would be eaten alive by decent teams. I haventr seen anything Jason Cadees done that warrants selection, Daniel Kickert... all I remember of him from ever seeing him is fumble after bad descision? the kid can shoot a bit but hes nothing... Peter Crawford... Decent defender, Sloppy offensively. I hate the l;ook of his head and I dont think he belongs on any boomers tream that already has Newley/Barlow/Ingles at its disposal.

I personally think Dillon did enough to get a second look... Im a lil miffed as to why hes not in this squad yet many mcuhs maller yet less athletic guards are? Also.. Why no Anatoly Bose?

Anyways, My team.. if i were choosing is

Patty Mills (like, Duh!)
Brad Newley
Joe Ingles
Matty Neilson
Aj Ogilvy (later on maric)

Damien Martin
Adam Gibson
Mark worthington
David Barlow
Jesse Wagstaff
Matt Knight
Luke Schensher (ogilvy to take his place come october)

It really isnt lightyears away from our best squad. Patty,Brad,Joe,Matty, Martin, Gibson, Barlow,Wortho would probably make our A squad team one would think. were just missing Anderson, Jawai, Bogut...

Reply #323677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any chance of kazzouh bein back by august? kinda need him i think

Reply #323686 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree 100% re Dillon. Definitely worth another look. SG and SF were our weakest spots in Turkey, thanks to Newley and Gibson's poor shooting, Newley and Ingles' average defence and the unfathomable benching of David Barlow for most of the tournament.

Seeing Igor Hadziomerovic in there ahead of Dillon saddens me, unless Dillon made himself unavailable which seems unlikely given he is playing at the moment.

Iggy shot 8/23 from the arc in Latvia (Dillon shot better than that over an entire NBL season and better than that in the playoffs), scored 7p at 3/12 in the QF and 3p at 1/8 v Croatia in the next game. Give me a break. Greenwood and Creek? Sure. Drmic? Maybe. Anyone after that, not even close.

Reply #323692 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Paul, recalling the discussion a couple of weeks back, what do you think is BA's philosophy in selecting this group? Is it just another camp? Is it with a view to picking the Oceania Championships group - as in the OC group will definitely come from this camp?

Reply #323717 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

While they are probably not quite ready yet are Dellavedova and Greenwood two future Boomers stars?

Dellavedova is an excellent passer and improved a lot for Saint Mary's last season (actually developed some nifty post moves!)and Greenwood from what i've seen of him so far is a complete player.

Reply #323750 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

rohant16,
Greenwood from what i've seen of him so far is a complete player.

Yeah, but at what position?
Your not a complete player if your not a master of one position.

Reply #323759 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO, I guess they are looking to keep the young guys they think as future Boomers in the loop. I have no problem with that philosophy but I think it has gone too far this time with Tomlinson, Dellavedova, Cadee, Drmic, Greenwood and Iggy all in the squad, and some well credentialled mid-20s guys left out.

Obviously Dillon, but why are Baynes and Kickert getting another look in when Davidson and Crosswhite cant get a sniff? Are they injured? If not they at least deserve a chance over guys who have had a chance and clearly not produced.

Reply #323771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh because they play in Europe, paul, and overseas basketball, no matter what the level is better than the NBL. Der!

Reply #323773 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry mate, how silly of me!! Also surprised that Jeromie Hill and Cody Ellis havent been given a look in.

I mean, to balance it, most of the squad that has been chosen is good, and most of the guys we are talking about wont make the final 12 anyway. But it would be nice to see some new guys given a chance and Dillon another chance after a good showing and public praise from the coach.

Still, all that matters is beating the Kiwis this year.

Reply #323783 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Macdub

I was referring to the fact that Greenwood is a good rebounder shooter passer high basketball iq complete player in that sense. I'm not calling for him to be in the starting 5 mate give me a break.

Reply #323829 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Would sortof be surprised if any of the young guys selected for the camp get selected for the team but if I had to pick which has the best chance id have to say Dellevadova, pretty much everything you said about Greenwood Rohant applies to Dellevedova but hes proven himself for the Boomers at the very least(the China tournament the Boomers won 2 years ago had him as the starting PG and he did a terrific job).

Cody Ellis was hurt much of last season in the NCAA and had a pretty serious shoulder injury in the last couple games which required surgery, prob still is injured.

Reply #323838 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754