Breakers
Years ago

Alex Pledger win NZNBL MVP!

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2011/july/pledger-wins-nznbl-mvp-award/

Came across this on the NBL website. Put up great all round numbers on a good team...Hopefully can carry this form into the Tall Blacks and next ANBL season

Topic #25897 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows how good that league is!

Reply #323921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hater.

He beat out Abercrombie, Crowe, various ex-NBL imports, etc.

Reply #323924 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

How does the NZBL compare to the NBL talent wise? I always assumed it was somewhere between NBL & ABA level. Honest question, I have never seen a NZBL game.

Reply #323931 | Report this post

titan 28  
Years ago

Great comment anon taking into account that NZ actually beat Australia in the last series they played! All players bar Kirk play in the NZNBL too.

Reply #323935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Great comment anon taking into account that NZ actually beat Australia in the last series they played! All players bar Kirk play in the NZNBL too."

Forgot how many Aussie players weren't playing? I'd like to see an NZ team with 6-7 of their best players not playing.

Alex Pledger- Comes off the bench in the NBL; MVP in the NZNBL.

Reply #323936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No Deal, it is in between in most cases. A strong ABL team (e.g., Sturt or Norwood at their peak in recent years, Eastern a few years back) would probably hold their own. Then there have been teams like the Pistons who have suited a solid starting five of ANBL players and might be hard to beat. Hard to tell for sure.

Imports vary a bit - Erron Maxey (Blaze), Jason Crowe, Justin Bailey, Rashad Tucker, Kavossy Franklin, etc have all played there as well as various other imports who've never been picked up for the so-called ANBL. Nick Horvath still gets a run there and topped their rebounding this year, whatever you make of that (given that he's no longer in the ANBL but did have decent numbers here).

On the other hand, low-minute NBL players like Tait and Behrendorff or Pledger can put up stats over there. Behrendorff played as an import when he was there, as has Forman in the past.

One thing and it's a bit of a guess is that some of the role-players seem a little less polished? I say this having watched all of maybe two NZ NBL games live so someone might jump on me for this. There were a few players there that just struck me as closer to successful social players than guys that had lived and breathed basketball through years of juniors training, state-level representation, etc.

Reply #323938 | Report this post

Stats Bench  
Years ago

I think that the names of the last 8 MVP's might reveal the overall standard of the NZNBL.

2003 - David Cooper
2004 - Adria Majstrovich
2005 - Lindsay Tait
2006 - Paora Winitana
2007 - Josh Pace
2008 - Jason Crowe
2009 - Phil Jones
2010 - Lindsay Tait

Reply #323944 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No, standard is much better than what that list will tell you.
Wellington this year contained 7 players that have played or are playing ANBL (And the other players --One is a commit to PITT, another just returned for Div 1 college at Stephen F.Austin)

Waikato contained 4 players that play or have played ANBL (and then you have Jerry Smith unbelievable player from Uni of Louisville, Hayden Allen who is miles better than someone like Crosswell,)

Nelson contained 5 players that have played or are playing ANBL including Grizzard, Jones, Vukona, Fitchett and Bloxham
Then throw in Dora as an import.

NBL teams can put out 6/7 very good players.

This years stars ..Jerry Smith, Abercrombie, Jason Crowe, Vukona, Erron Maxey, Dillion Boucher, Craig Bradshaw, Mike Rose, Josh Pace, Galen Young have all made noise in the ANBL + Smith who could make noise!

I mean the Pistons would have potentially beat last years Kings:

Dickel or Martin v Crowe = Crowe
Madgen v J.Smith = Smith
P.Sanders v Abercrombie = Close, im going to stay even
Dann v BJ Anthony = Equal (BJ can play)
Khazzou v Pledger = Khazzou (Pledge could match him on the boards though and he is taller than Khazzou)

Reply #323953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHAHA, doesn't matter how you spin it, NZNBL sucks! Name me the Tall Blacks B team (Best 10 players not allowed)

Reply #323954 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A virtual NZNBL team playing as the Breakers development team won a tournament in China containing a Chinese league team, a US CBA All Star team, a Spanish Div 2 team and the woeful Melbourne Tigers from early last year.

NZNBL is between NBL and SEABL for mine, you could say a solid div 2 in Oceania.

Reply #323963 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just adding to that, the main area of weakness in the NZNBL is the bigs, which would help Pledger dominate. Then again, so would the fact that he performed well in the NBL finals or that he was the best big man in an Oceania series that featured Nathan Jawai and AJ Ogilvy.

I think the Pledgehammer will lead the NBL in rebounding in the next 2-3 years.

Reply #323964 | Report this post

titan 28  
Years ago

If I'm not mistaken NZ has beaten Australia more than a handful of times, not bad for a population less than Queensland.
The Breakers won the ANBL this year with only 3 players that weren't Kiwis but yeah the NZNBL must really suck. It has obviously produced some pretty good international players so can't be all that bad.
What's the point in naming a B team? You play whomever makes themselves available, that is sport!
Pledger killed it in the last series NZ played against Australia, now he has 2 more years experience. I think he'll impress a lot of people in the upcoming series.

Reply #323973 | Report this post

titan 28  
Years ago

One other point is players always play better when their coaches believe in them. I think this is a point often overlooked.
Obviously in the NZ league the coaches know the NZ players and each team has their favourite sons and they get the best out of them, which is a big reason why NZ players play well in the NZ NBL and also the reason why they play well together internationally.
A great example of this is Pero Cameron, not great numbers under Joyce or Wright and limited minutes, they both didn't show much confidence in him, yet put him under Tab Baldwin or Nenad Vucinic and he is a totally different player.

Reply #323974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut/Jawai
Andersen/Nielsen
Ingles/Barlow
Newley/Gibson
Mills/Martin

Australia would beat NZ by 50 with a full strength lineup.

Reply #323975 | Report this post

titan 28  
Years ago

But they didn't

Reply #323977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

never said they did???

Reply #323978 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

now anon explain how you are going to get that team on the court?
beating a country of 3million on paper doesn't get you to the Olympics.

there is no doubt that Australia is the stronger country in Basketball. You have produced some amazing players and teams over the years especially an NBA 1# draft pick (arguably 2 lol).
New Zealand make do with what we have, we don't have an institute of Sport comparable to yours to breed top athletes. Sure we have the odd freak like Pero Cameron and Kirk Penney to keep you guys honest but at the end of the day the Boomers are the benchmark in this part of the world.

damn I love it when we beat you tho ;)

Reply #323979 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

We don't mind beating you lot either, just quietly. I live for the day that the Oceania Championship is decided by free throws after the buzzer, just to see if anyone has the balls to throw them underarm granny style!

Reply #323989 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

lol at the underarm freethrows. great to see the trans tasman rivalry is alive and kicking still. I do cheer for Australia tho when you guys are playing anyone but the Tall Blacks.
I believe that Oceania basketball is strong enough to warrant 2 spots at all major tournaments based on how strong both teams have performed of late. It would be rubbish for one of these teams to miss a tournament and then have teams like Lebanon get a spot and be complete cannon fodder.

Reply #323991 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

My first impression upon reading this news was that it confirms to me that he has been underplayed due to the strength of the Breakers (or the coach's reluctance to play him).

Reply #324004 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The guy he came off the bench for was kinda handy (Gary Wilkinson) and also made the NBL first team at the conclusion of the season.
Pledger is a work in progress that is coming along nicely, no need to rush things.

Reply #324011 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754