Your ideal local stadium

wondering what aspects peoples thoughts are on an ideal "local" stadium. i.e. not a 10,000 seater.

some key points I feel are required to make a good local stadium. -

show court -

retractable stands of some fashion for one side - the other permanent.

clear back boards

legal measurements on all courts (i.e. 2 metres around sidelines)

correct lighting - only back up fluros - not as the main lighting

at least 3-4 courts.

canteen separate from bar but within the court area

clubrooms with glass viewing areas.

meeting rooms

change rooms

umpires room

? public phone - maybe not in this day and age of mobiles

gym

additional rings besides show court for club trainings

front office - suitable foyer / waiting area out the front.

signage

courts clearly numbered

Topic #25927 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

http://www.venueswest.wa.gov.au/2/294/1/wa_basketball_centre.pm

/end thread

Reply #324510 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

alexkrad,
The WA Basketball Center is merely a training facility.
It can only seat 2000 on the show court.

Good for SBL games and WNBL games, but because Wildcats sell out the 4,500 Challenge Stadium, the 2000 seat basketball Center cannot hold NBL games.

Reply #324513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is what the original poster asked for.

It also cost $40m.

Reply #324516 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Just got back from WA at a basketball tournament and was blown away by their facilities.

Warwick - owned by Church of Christ, 4 courts, show court, better than anything we have although courts not sprung but can live with that.

Lakeside - owned by Baptist Church, 4 courts, amazingly impressive.

Craigie Leisure Centre - attached to a swimming pool, incredible showcourt ..... nearly cried at how impressive this one was.

Returned home to Morphett Vale this weekend and just scratched my head. We must be doing something wrong.

Reply #324527 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Should've added that Craigie Leisure Centre was a 4-court stadium too. Nice pool facilities as well as gym as well as ..... nah, I can't go on.

Reply #324528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STARplex.

Best stadium in this state that is used for basketball games.

Reply #324531 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

centralised, 11 court stadium with 10 courts and 1 show court. play all junior games and senior games there except ABL, which utilise home stadiums.

Reply #324537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STARplex, not leased by BSA and not affiliated to BSA, effectively nothing to do with BSA, the only link between STARplex and BSA is the lowly district club based there.

Reply #324538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

need a stadium with 8-10 courts similar to Knox/ Dandenong which is open 8-6 for casual shooting, with all the training's and things on at stadiums it is not easy to get a good shoot around in. With good floors as well the Dandenong volleyball courts were very impressive whilst away. Also some decent locker rooms for pre game American high schools jv teams have 10x better one then ours atm and they are for year 9's!

Reply #324539 | Report this post

Hopsvotch  
Years ago

Even increasing Wayville or Pas to 8 courts including a 2.5k show court and the necessary changerooms would cost $8M - $10M.

Reply #324541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Libertine centralizing is the worst idea. No club identity, no ability to raise revenue through canteens and bars, no club community as they always travel to another stadium and most importantly why should those living outside the central suburbs have to travel every single week?

Reply #324542 | Report this post

fringe dweller  
Years ago

Anonymous 538. The arrogance of some, that lowly club you speak of is now eyeing finals berth in the women.
Lionesses are now awakening from their slumber

Reply #324546 | Report this post

Ceres  
Years ago

They may make 1 final. Doesn't mean they are waking from their slumber.

Just that they have paid for enough talent and that this method of success is unsustainable over multiple seasons without sending the club bankrupt.

Reply #324547 | Report this post

double blue  
Years ago

millicent is a peach stadium for a country centre.

Dandenong is sweet

Reply #324549 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

When our competition is as big a Vics than you can start to talk about those size stadiums.

Where we are right now, all we need are good 3 court stadiums. Imagine if Marion, Hillcrest and Port Adelaide had 3 court stadiums. We would not be having this conversation

Central location of one big stadium is not the answer for the reasons stated above. Although I could see this being a good thing for a few clubs to go together. One 3crt that Woodville and Port Play out of. One 3crt that Norwood and North play out of. Marion still a problem but could play out of Westminster instead and work with the school re canteen and a bar.

- Share of Canteen and Bar profits
- Most Fridays there could be div 1 games
- More foot traffic which allows for more share of canteen and bar profits

Problems
- Fitting all teams for training at the venue
- All the other stated above

Reply #324554 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

that should be woodville and west

Reply #324555 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

3 court stadiums lack 'economies of scale'. ie same numbers of staff required for vastly different incoming.

Anything less than 5 courts is a waste.

Reply #324560 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I would love to see a portion of every stadium available for casual shoot around and rolling pickup games. It's very difficult to find somewhere out of the weather to practice during winter if u are not affiliated w a club. I know I'm probly dreamin but that's what I'd like to see.

Other thing: next time a stadium in this state is built or refurb'd put it in the contract that if it leaks it's to be fixed by the tradies who botched the job! Seems like every year a major stadium has leak probs! How hard can it be?

Reply #324567 | Report this post

do the dandenong teams train there weekenights ? they have a big social comp.

Reply #324587 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Might i dare to sugest ATHOL PARK - now what happened to that venue?
Yes BASA had brilliant idea - please dont let BSA Admin take over stadiums - Let clubs maintain control as best they can.

Reply #324613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one where the roof doesn't leak!

Reply #324637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754