Kent Brockman
Years ago

So Phil and Steve have signed?

judging by Boti's article today Phil and Steve have signed.

also mentions that the sixers are looking at Marcus Timmons if he gets his citizenship and Derek Moore if the money is right.

Suggests that the sixers are cutting costs by reducing the salary budget by 5-10%

Topic #2593 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think Boti said that the reduced salary cap was being kind of enforced by BASA cos they are poor.

I'd like to see Smythy get Moore and Mee, then try and keep last years squad.

Reply #29113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the article online.

The article strongly suggests that Smyth is contracted but there's certainly no fanfare -- nothing on the Sixers site or NBL site either.

Strange that he'd offer thoughts on Timmons and Castle, but not Mee and McDonald:

Speculation the 36ers board had threatened to resign unless his appointment was confirmed was not something on which Smyth would be drawn. Nor would he comment on speculation Darnell Mee is keen to return or that Darryl McDonald may be an option.

Obviously Darren's studies aren't going to hinder his ability to play if he's back for 05/06.

Maher/Hill
Farley/Ng
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/?
Cooper/Rees

If there are concerns about defense after the elimination final and they're not interested in Nash, then perhaps Castle would be a reliable choice to fill that gap.

Without him, the roster is pretty much 04/05 all over again and I think we were a bit short of a realistic shot at the rings. Also, something that needs to be considered is that Cairns, Brisbane and probably Melbourne are going to be even stronger this year. Probably Sydney too. DMac would give them a potential starter playing good backup minutes, but I have no idea what kind of money he'd be asking -- also, he's apparently talking to the Hawks.

Reply #29114 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think getting someone like Mee, who is a proven defensive presence the last time he was suited up in a 6ers uniform under smyth would definatly benefit, if he is naturalised would be a big advantage. What sort of money would he be asking?

Reply #29117 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

All this talk about Mee but no one seems to be able to confirm whether he is naturalised or not. If you are going to spend a whole lot of time and energy talking about hiring him, perhaps someone might be able to confirm his situation. As a replacement for Farley, a definite NO. As an addition to the team, great if he doesn't need to fill an import spot. If anyone out there knows definitely if he is naturalised or not, can you please advise and put this matter to rest.

Reply #29128 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

the 6er's did not do that well last year the crowds were down, do you think that the same team can do any better? I don't think so, maybe we should be looking for some different players, than getting the same as last year, that didn't make it past the first round of finals?

Reply #29207 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It's not just a case of whether the Sixers can do any better this season with the same team. This coming season will differ in that other teams differ. For example we are hearing about the big names other teams are recruiting but although these players did well with their team last season, how do you know they are going to be as effective in another team. Take Bradtke for instance, he spent many years with the Tigers and fitted the team like a glove. Will he fit as well in Brisbane. You just have to look at Farley 2 seasons ago with West Sydney and then last season in Adelaide. 2 different Willies one would have suspected. Atleast Adelaide will have consistency in players who are very familiar with playing with each other and the Adelaide system. We also have Cooper who is now experienced as a Sixer and would expect bigger and better things from him. Hill only came in the last 5 or 6 games and therefore not a great influence on the season outcome, however those 5 or 6 games now see him with experience that can only benefit the team this coming season. There's many variables that will make the coming season different even if the team doesn't differ much. Apart from that, we were a lot closer to the championship last season than what the ladder would actually show. I think that difference is covered this coming season just in expectations from the existing players. We do have a spot as well for another big man. That can only boost our chances with the right choice.

Reply #29211 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Last I heard he was still an import but was waiting for paperwork. I believe the process can take a minimum of 6 months after application, added to that there is something about staying in Australia for a certain period - 12 months or something similar. Not sure, but most of the imports head home in the off season.

Reply #29296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754