Jack Toft
Years ago

R17 ABL Action

South - Norwood – Marion
Women: South are home for the last time this season and against the team who have been setting the pace. Norwood have had the yellow jersey on for most of the season and with the luxury of the split on Sturt, they would need to drop two of their three games to relinquish the crown. South will put up a fight and could do a Cadel to steal it, but will find it hard to peel the yellow jersey off Norwood's back tonight.
Men: Norwood continue to cling to top spot and will be looking to have this game tidied up by half time. "Resistance is futile" as the Flames intend to make way for their own hyperspace bypass at South’s expense. Just to add to South’s pain, will there be a reading of Vogon poetry? It's the last chance for DJ to take some notes from the more experienced crafty Cooper.

Woodville – Mavs – St Clair
Women: An exciting game for all the wrong reasons. Woodville are +26 on the split so the Mavs have a very slim chance of escaping out of jail. I soughta hope the Mavs come out and crush the Warriors like a beer can just to make their season interesting.
Men: Woodville have been the pleasant surprise in the men’s comp. Al’s Playerz have put up some solid performances this season and in front of their home crowd for the last time will be as hungry as Hippos. Mavs have been up and down, with more down than up. It’s a long way down the Mount to get knocked around, so at least let Woodville buy you dinner to make it worthwhile.

Eagles – Lions – Wayville
Women: The Lions have tightened their grip in 5th place but need to overcome Force Borrego if they want to go anywhere in the finals as these teams may play first week of finals. Rookie coach Ben Todd might surprise everyone with a possible Malcolm Blight type move to neutralise the Eagles tonight. It’s supposed to rain on Saturday night so better pack a brolly and flippers. Eagles 73 to 63, but it may not be as easily as they think and might be looking for the 6th player with the whistle to help them limp across the line.
Men: The Eagles have comfortably accounted for teams this season and have a slim chance of jagging the minor premiership if results go their way. The Lions have won 4 of their last 5. The Eagles are all offence and with the Lions scoring their highest score this season against the Eagles, this may end up be a scorefest for fans. The Rash is averaging over 20 ppg but faces the “Kollash-nikov” averaging 17.2 ppg. I think one exciting matchup will be if young guns Deng and Carlin get time on each other. (look for Smarty Marty in the stands). Once again, bring a brolly. The 3’s should rain hard this game and if they don’t you’ll probably need one anyhow. Does Eagle taste like a gamey chicken? The Lions might not find out, but this game should be as tight as the security at an Oslo courthouse with every bucket crucial.

West – Sturt – Port
Women: Normally this would be the hands down MOTR, but at the pointy end of the season every game affecting the 5 qualifies as the MOTR. West were the needle in the Tigeresses balloon last week and Sturt pulled the rug on South. This is a preview game with both teams likely to play each other in the finals. Both coaches are as cunning as the 2006 version of Neil Craig but with Sturt +20 on the split, they might have the edge over West which might be enough to sink West’s ship.
Men: West sit above Sturt at the moment so don’t think for a moment Sturt are going to arrive at the Port with a dozen red roses and a box of Haighs chocolates, but they will try to do things to West that a gentlement shouldn’t do on the first date. West will face a lot of questions tonight and Sturt will bring their own phone book along for the interogation.

Sunday
Norwood – Lions – Mars
Women: This has the potential to be an absolute key banger. Norwood expect to win like an Italian Stallion on a hot date. Lions have had their best season since Gary Ayres was scribbling on a whiteboard at West Lakes and if the Lions snare a win against Forestville then better batten down the hatches at Mars. If Norwood have the Colliwobbles the night before then Lions watch out. Norwood would have the W pencilled into their book, but will Toddy come along and rub it out?
Men: Unless Norwood have gorged themselves senseless on Panther the night before and can’t move, I expect they might find room for a second serving of big cat, cooked with an open flame of course.

Tigers – Rockets – Morphett Vale
Women: MOTR. Both teams desparate for a win to keep a very slim chance of a final 5 spot alive and hope results got their way. Both teams missed chances last week, but North coughed and spluttered more than the Tigeresses. While the other games may have odds of 80:20, this one is pretty close to 50:50. North will lament the loss last week and if Hill can be conquered, expect the Tigeresses to have a consolation win. With both teams facing tough tests in R18, this might be considered the Clayton’s final.
Men: Tigers with no where to go face North who can’t drop any lower than 5th. Last time they played it was North by 35. They don’t have Carter anymore, but won’t miss his services today. At least the sausage sizzle fundraiser will provide a bit of fire.

Topic #25950 | Report this topic

Rock  
Years ago

Another good write up Jack. Thanks

It's nice to back from the northern hemisphere to our cold wet stadiums ...NOT!

Reply #324855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we have some of tonigts results?

Live stats in the western suburbs is again DOWN

Reply #325072 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Going through the play by play for the South vs Norwood mens game and looks like South came out to play by anything but the rules.

It appears the coach was ejected before half time with a double bench tech just before half time, and Omamagho hit with a disqualifying foul in the last quarter. Also noticed Cooper hit with an unsportsmanlike before that as well, also on Omamagho.

Be interesting to see if the Norwood boys have enough left in the tank for the Lions tomorrow, especially one Andrew Webber after dropping a lazy 51 points tonight.

Reply #325073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panthers should hang their heads in shame. An absolute disgraceful display tonight! And their fans were just as feral! An absolute clinic put on by the flames especially by webber and wow Daniel Johnson absolutely got posterized by cooper! Hope someone has footage of that!

Reply #325074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to any team that knocks Norwood out of the grand final. As for Webber, south made him look like and effing basketball player and that wont happen again this season.

Reply #325076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

daniel johnson was hanging with mr cooper.. that was huge! cooper showed him a thing or two tonight.

Reply #325077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was a monster dunk by Cooper. A bit scary that the two 36ers playing did not stand out or dominate in any way. DJ looked like he would rather be elsewhere all night and started throwing some cheap shots. The 36ers next big thing was completely shown up by an NBL has been.

Reply #325078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right it wont happen again this season, because South wont make the finals!

BTW, Webber doesnt need any help to look like a basketball player...he does it himself with help from his team mates.

Maybe worry about your own pathetic backyard (with DJ and Creek and you still cant make finals!) before throwing cheap shots at another team.

Reply #325080 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yes Coopers 10 points and 7 rebounds completely showed up DJ's 19 points 12 rebounds! Idiot! Cooper actually dunked it WOW!! Perhaps he should have done that when he played for the sixers instead of the chump two hand board taps that he would always miss. Creek also had 17 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assist, wow what a horrible game by him!

Reply #325081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunno y people are hating on Norwood after tonight. They were the ones playing with class and absolutely smacking a team of meatheads! Another shameless post probably by a feral panther army member!
Can't believe they were still trying to talk smack when their team was down 40! Pretty much matched the good attitude of souths coach an players! Wonder if he is still happy he cleared out the veterans before the season to accompdste his new "recruits". As a neutral supporter I think south have gone backwards this year! Feel sorry for the people who were south through and through to be replaced by these pack of meatheads! They shouldve started to "over - rated" chant for Johnson tonight. He was terrible!

Reply #325082 | Report this post

Men
Warriors over nbl less mavericks by 10
Eagles over lions by 6
Sturt over west by 8

Reply #325083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't let the stats fool you king James. My grandma could score and rebound in the last quarter of a blowout! They were terrible!

Reply #325084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames I bet you where not at the game. Cooper completely outplayed DJ. DJ chucked up airballs, out of rythym jump shots and was no where on the glass for 3 quarters. Defensively he was a non factor as Norwood got to the rim any time they liked basically.

Mitch was only good when he attacked the rim. I would like to say his passing is better but the six turnovers where UGLY

Reply #325085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol at kingjames thinking he can judge a game on the stats better than people who were actually in attendance.

Reply #325086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like Souths performance is on par with BSA.

Another night where half the statscasts werent working.

Maybe BSA should work on getting it fixed before they try and drain more monry from clubs for having canteens.

Reply #325088 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DJ had 4 points and 2 rebound in the last quarter. Thank you norwood supporters for your wonderful analysis of how he scored so many in junk time and decided to finally rebound in the last quarter with 2 rebounds. That must be the first game ever a guy has basically doubled the stats of another guy yet people seem to say he was totally out played by some embarassing former NBL player. DJ didn't have a great game but his stats were always going to be down with Mitch back in the team. Coopers stats where also below average for him.

six turnovers by Creek was bad but other then that he almost had a decent triple double. I would say that is standing out rather then some idiot norwood fan saying they didn't stand out or dominate in anyway but I understand it was probably that guys first basketball game and he got a bit excited.

I don't think it would have been such a dominate performance by Norwood if it wasn't for Webber scoring 51. If he had an average game then south would have still probably lost but it would have been much more competitve. Norwood are a much better as well as a more experienced team. If they don't win the finals it will be an under achievement for them.

I don't condone any cheapshots any south players did.

Who were the players they cleared out at the start of the season? I don't think they regret for one moment signing DJ and Creek. To be fair they didn't have them playing together for the whole season.

Reply #325091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pilkington, blight, frost. There's 3 starters to begin with!

Reply #325093 | Report this post

Norwood Stats  
Years ago

I will say it yet again....the LiveStats issue is NOTHING to do with BSA. It is a software issue that has been reported to FIBA - the owners of the software for investigation and resolution.

It is actually as frustrating for the stats staff and I am sure the staff at BSA by not having it webcasting.

Reply #325096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pilkington - Left with a couple of days to go before the season started. Was not cut.

Blight - I think he decided to go to Woodville.

South is a very young team. Howe-Tipene, Omanagho, Prest etc and young kids who play significant minutes for this team and have spent year adjusting to men's basketball.
I think everyone should calm down and put this in perspective. The team has improved a lot since last year from outside appearances and one bad game does not make a season.

Reply #325097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James are u johnsons mum? Were u actually at the game to comment on it? If u actually saw Johnson and his total not giving a fuck attitude thinking his shut doesn't stink I think ud be pretty disappointed in him! And if u were there then yeah u clearly are dillusional! As for creek he played ok. Norwood seemed to be sagging off him a long way and he backed up their decision to do so by missing every jumper he took. Clearly cannot shoot!

Reply #325098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Answer,

You weren't there mate to see who played by the rules or not so best leave comment rather than stick the boot in - correct?

Reply #325099 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Pilkington left on his own accord, in fact he was signed to play for South so they could have made him sit out the season if they wanted. He would have actually been very handy for South this season.

Frost I don't know about but I would think he would have left on his own accord also, so that he could get more opportunities at centrals as well as probably money. He is playing well there.

Blight I don't know about either but I think it is a good move if they released him to play at other clubs.

No I am not Tony sorry. Anyone know why he got ejected was he just very angry at the umpires? He is very passionate but usually controls his temper. I don't think he has gotten a tech all season

Reply #325100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs were very trigger happy with the technicals and the game went downhill from there.

How does a team with only one player recording techs all season suddenly have three guys thrown out? I think that's the bigger question here...

Reply #325101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, but if he hadnt cut Frost so dramatically-(long time south junior player)who still gives very good minutes for his new club, blight wouldnt have walked to woodville and persay neither would have pilkington. 3 extra senior players with a wealth of experience would have been a very good support to the very junior players who supposedly have spent a year adjusting to senior basketball. Mate they havent adjusted to anything.I am looking to next year and I can only see a lot of dark times a head for South. Creek & Johnson great to have playing in the our league, but together in the same team has not worked.Money not well spent with hindsight I would have to say. Outside Boal who has had a shocker of a season other recruits have been nobodies who have not developed any game.Looking forward to see what the brillant coach can bring forth for the next year. LOL

Reply #325102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate, I think they will be fine. How many games did South win last year with those 3 guys? Or the year before that?

The program is moving up, it's good to go watch games at the club again (I stopped going a few rounds in last year) and one bad loss does not make a season.

Reply #325103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball SA, they can't even have the scoreboard on court 1 at Port Adelaide working for a senior Mens and Womens game I mean come on YOUR A JOKE BASKETBALL SA!

Reply #325105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood stats. Selective software problems then? Are u sure that it's not just too much trouble for u? Rubbish comp so rubbish stats mirror it perfectly!

Reply #325106 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Being at the game and not following either team I can tell you everyone of the techs was warranted.

It is easy to see why people are attacking South players if their coach allows himself to be that emotional on the side line. Really was poor leadership of a team that looks to be lacking in that department.

There was some off the ball stuff not called which allowed the game to get a little bit agro.

I felt Cooper was hard done by for his USF as IO had held him and restricted him from catching a lob pass, then continued to hold onto him despite his side having the ball and advancing it over half way. He was locked with Cooper who swiped his arms free.

IO techs where that of a very immature player. Getting in the face of a ref never ends well for the player. if that is what the coach sets as an acceptable standard then South have a few problems.

Having not been to an ABA game for a while i certainly was expecting the 36er player to dominate , which they didn't. Stats may say they did but in reality they had little impact on the result of the game.

Norwood are a far supperior team whilst South looked to have no leadership or direction from any player.

Reply #325110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF, I was at the game also and concur with your summary.

Reply #325111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it easier to hate and point the finger when things don't go well rather than to look on the positive side. Perfect example on this post!

Reply #325112 | Report this post

oberon83  
Years ago

KingJames, I usually enjoy reading your posts and have great respect for your knowledge of the game, but in this case I think you are making yourself look rather silly. I'm not a fan of either team, and I wsn't at the game (nor were you),but your carrying on here is not doing any favours to yourself or your club.

Reply #325113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok anyone caring to talk about webbers 51? Thats a pretty impressive effort??

Reply #325114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No dount IO tech was warrented, but the throwing of the coach so quickly was crazy.

Cooper was holdin IO, you would have to be really blind to think otherwise and his tech was warrented.

Reply #325116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James, I respect your posts mate.

At the end of the day there are a few wanting to stick the boot who weren't even at the game. Yes it was ugly but one game is not the season.

Reply #325117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always amazes me that people say they were at a venue watching a game and that they are not aligned with either team BUT report with a certain bias towards one or the other teams. I can't think of kind word for either high spending low developing club and the more warranted techs, officials dish out, the better.

Reply #325118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did mav girls finally get a win?

Reply #325119 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That's the big question !

Reply #325121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All of the Techs at the South V Norwood game were warranted. Unacceptable by players and coach.

What's more to the point is how it got to that. Norwood players hacking with impunity leading to frustration which was always going to end badly. Don't hook; don't hook but the flying elbow is fine - over and over.

Refs clearly out of depth. Needed someone who was capable of controlling the game early instead of allowing it to degenerate to the point where they got to prove how tough they were from behind the whistle. As consistent as a teenager experimenting with ADD medication.

Some refs clearly have the respect of the players. Unfortunately they were at other venues last night.

Reply #325122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no stats web data again today and the snail mail from st clair still hasn't posted the results of the mavs game.

Reply #325123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

southern girls results?????

Reply #325125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So having the South coach get warned, then start yelling at the other referee across the court abusing him is not worth a technical foul?
And then coming onto the court pointing and abusing him some more is not worth the second one?
Or being held back by his assistant while he was abusing the referee is not worth a dq?
Quite frankly I see why the referees ended up having no respect for him... you give respect, you get respect.

As for Omamagho, he has barely hit puberty... how can he expect to be able to chase a referee down the court to yell in his face?

And finally the technical foul on DJ - He asked the referee "Do you have a disability, cos are f**king retarded!" Which was heard clearly by us on the sideline.
Um, is that an example to be set by a person who represents our team in NBL?
Maybe he can go to HQ and become DJ Tantrum?

Reply #325127 | Report this post

Norwood Stats  
Years ago

Norwood Men 73 over Centrals 62
Norwood Women 70 over Centrals 50

Reply #325128 | Report this post

ABL Report  
Years ago

"As consistent as a teenager experimenting with ADD medication" - Big LOL!

Reply #325131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clear things up, Pilkington left on his own accord after agreeing to play for South and signing a contract. Did a similar thing the year before after agreeing to play for Forestville and then playing again for South.
Blight chose to leave, and Frost was cut. Both players were set in their ways and with Tony wanting to make changes to try and get the team moving forward needed players willing to change.
I don't think either players have been effected that much by it, Frost is putting up some half decent numbers and is getting more minutes at Centrals than what he would have at South and Bligt is doing his normal thing at Woodville and is enjoying playing under Al.
I think the biggest loser out of this is Pilkington. Would have played good minutes at South (may not have gotten a shot up with DJ in the team!) but his minutes seem to have declined quite a bit!
My guess is neither Blight or Pilkington will play on next season...

Reply #325135 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Both Southern teams were smacked pretty badly... Men managed 40 points and probably close to that many turnovers too!

Reply #325137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why aren't the woodville and mavericks men results posted.

Reply #325138 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What happens if two teams fighting for a spot in the finals, are drawing with the same win-loss
Does it come down to percentage
Or does it come down to head-to-head/point split

Reply #325142 | Report this post

oberon83  
Years ago

TC was way out of line, no doubt about that. Coming onto the court is inexcusable no matter what. However if the referee in question was Luke Smith, then it's no surprise really. Has quite a history of not being able to manage games, even at junior level.

Reply #325144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know what DJ said in a previous game? Were you the ref who worked on both games?

Reply #325145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that Luke Smith gave the warning and it was Andrew Just who gave the 2 tecs on TC as it was him he came on court to have a go at. Luke Smith was baseline door end when it came to a head.

Reply #325146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was he running out the door cos he is a pansy, smith shouldn't be allowed to ref under 10's the bloke is a disgraceful ref

Reply #325147 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon,

Pretty sure it's head to head. In that case, Norwood Men are minor premiers as even if they lose next round and Eagles win, they hold the split. In the women, Norwood Women are minor premiers as well.

Mens:
Eagles are second and should remain so. Sturt are 3rd and are -3 on West, so they need to win this week and have West lose to hold third place. West are all over North, so even if North beat Eagles, West lose to Norwood and Sturt loses to have three teams on 11 wins, West would be +21 on North and +3 on Sturt, so they finish 3rd, Sturt 4th (they are +10 on North) Bottom 5 not likely to change much. With Sturt likely to beat Tigers and Norwood over West, I think the final 5 will end as it is now: Norwood (15 wins), Forestville (14), Sturt (12), West (11), North (10).

Womens:
With Norwood likely to beat West, Sturt over Tigers, the top two should end up Norwood (17), Sturt (15). West have the split on Eagles, so the Bearcats will finish 3rd (12 wins). The Eagles will finish 4th regardless of the result.

5th spot is wide open. Tigers and Panthers seem out of it, BUT, if North and Centrals drop their games, and Tigers and Panthers win, we could see four teams on 8 wins and 10 losses.

If that is the case, the Panthers are IN. They are +10 on North, +18 on Tigers, +52 on Lions. Combined head to head in a four way is Panthers (+80), Lions (+20), Rockets (-27), Tigers (-73)

For North to hold 5th: They need to win, Don't want Lions to win, Don't want South to win, Don't care with Tigers.
For Lions to take 5th: They need to win, Doesn't matter with the other teams.
For South to take 5th. They need to win, want Lions to lose, want Rockets to lose, and don't care with Tigers.
For Tigers to take 5th: They can't - no finals this season.

Reply #325149 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Woodville women beat Mavs women.

Reply #325152 | Report this post

rhea 53  
Years ago

Blight on the game - the antics at Marion are unwanted and should be investigated.It does the game no good at all.Would relationships with umpires be at an all time low ?
Bewildering that a guy regarded as a nice bloke should respond in such a manner ??
I suppose the Umpire review be marked as "Solid Effort Boys"

Reply #325165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee, why is the common denominator in all "problem" games, weather it be by players or fans, Norwood?

Reply #325171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #325175 | Report this post

JackO  
Years ago

"Gee, why is the common denominator in all "problem" games, weather it be by players or fans, Norwood?"

...Because the lesser teams need to scrap and foul to try to bring the Flames down to their poor skill level, otherwise they have zero chance of competing.

Reply #325213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went to the Flames v Lions yesterday. Nothing of the sort occurred. Game was hard fought right to the final buzzer. No tempers and respect for the opposition was evident.

Not sure you could blanket this as a Norwood problem entirely. South has had their fair share of games that have got out of hand in my experience

Reply #325214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha jacko were u at the game!? none of saturday nights antics had anything to do with norwood whatsoever! and to say they did would be totally disrespectful to them!

Reply #325215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood are not choir boys although...............

Reply #325221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood intimadate refs into allowing a very physical game. Usually after a few moving screens, hacks on pass-outs or hand checks on the outside lead to turnovers teams start to respond with physicality themselves.

Don't get me wrong they are very talented and deserve to be favourites, but they are the kings of getting away with physical play that borders on illegal. They are the South East Melbourne Magic of the current ABL and very good at playing the refs.

Reply #325226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people seriouly expect that a team that has no major issues this year would all of a sudden explode for no reason? Come on.

South shouldn't have exploded but the refs should have controlled the game.

Reply #325227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casella was always going to explode with the right triggers. He has a history of doing it.

Reply #325231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a neutral fan at saturdays game I thought the refereeing was of decent standard. The play Tony lost his shit at was when someone stripped the ball onto creeks leg and it bounced out of bounds. Creek wasn't even disputing the call. And when the player got tossed it was on a travel call. Apparently Norwood were brainwashing the refs though!!

Reply #325257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jacko are you saying that is what north did when they beat them a few weeks back?

Reply #325376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood and brain should never appear in the same sentence.

Reply #325385 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Just heard girl dislocated her shoulder at West v Sturt game at the Port. Who was it??? Is she ok?? Does this dampen any final hopes for either team??

Reply #325507 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

I heard Monique Bowley was the injured player, I hope she is okay, the league is a better comp with players like her

Reply #325508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754