Observer
Years ago

Any more sixers signings ?

We have two signings left to fill the roster,are we expect to hear of the two signings soon?its almost august and we need team training with everyone.Am hoping that Sixers get a tall centre who can challenge Johnson,Sam harris would have been okay learning the ropes if he is given more court time.came on one game and lifted sixers at one stage.

Topic #25951 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Yeh - wasn't there going to be a mid week signing announced?

Reply #324824 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Maybe the Mills situation is holding up the next signatures But think whoever Sixers got close to signing the import or Aussie big then sign the one up now and get team happening ASAP and hold off 2nd signing for a little while waiting Mills situation to sort out .
But dont turn it into a Schens. -- Ervin saga where obvious preferred direction but waiting in hope

Reply #324832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where on earth did you hear that spinner?

I haven't seen anything saying that come out from not just the club, but any reliable source - or for that matter unrelaible sources either!

Reply #324837 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I read somewhere that they were holding trials for their last aussie big man spot from Aug 1 - 3 and that they hoped to have their second import signed by then.

I'd say early next week there may be an announcement based on that?

Reply #324839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could not realistically be looking at Mills, the team would be just too short! Im ok with them taking there time if it means putting a good product on court, these selections in some ways will determine if Marty Clarke gets to coach out his contract id say.

Reply #324858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes a backcourt of Mills and Warren is too short but who says the 36ers couldn't axe Warren and slot Mills in at PG?

Would be harsh on Warren but that was always a bit of an odd signing given the circumstances. You can always find short untried PG's fresh out of college at the 11th hour.

Reply #324861 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

i was hoping for an import centre and have dj off the bench and grab a nzbl player at backup pf

C IMPORT/DJ
PF BALLINGER/NZBL GUY
SF WEIGH/CREEK
SG HERBERT/NG
PG WARREN/CROSSWELL

Reply #324863 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I think the Mills ship has sailed. I highly doubt they would axe a freshly signed import before he even gets to train. What kind of reputation would that leave us for future import signings?

Reply #324864 | Report this post

Yanza  
Years ago

That TJ guys an idiot

Reply #324865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Mills ship has sailed. I highly doubt they would axe a freshly signed import before he even gets to train. What kind of reputation would that leave us for future import signings?

Assuming anyone has ever heard of the Adelaide 36ers you do realise a lot of imports are treated as harshly as this if not worse in Europe?

Reply #324866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you kidding the team would be to short with mills? he's only 2 inches shorter than ng but weighs more and is a whole lot better. Think of the offence he brings and he has to defend bigger stronger guys in the nba. If all fits with coin and points i would have him in a heart beat. If lockout finishes then you go get a big import

Reply #324867 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Whoever suggested the Sixers would sack Warren to bring Mills in is not thinking too clearly.

The Sixers had already considered Mills well before they signed Warren - so do you think they would sign Warren and then go 'oops we forgot about that Mills kid, better sack our new import before he even trains with us'???

No, in the unlikely event the Sixers now sign Mills, it will be in ADDITION to Warren!

Based on Boti's quotes of Marty last week, we will sign two more big guys, one of them probably being an import.

Tornado is right, in Boti's article Marty also indicated that they were hoping to have the import signed prior to the final roster spot tryouts they are holding early next week.

Since the Sixers already have their point guard, I'd actually like to see Mills play for Cairns, who have been royally screwed with Ubaka, Dorsey and Dillon being poached by the Tigers. It would be interesting to see what Mills could do as the only real backcourt star along with two good big men in Crosswhite and Loughton to feed.

Reply #324869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See the problem anon is that Mills is only 2 inches shorter than NG, BUT Ng is already signed, hence the idea of bringing in ANOTHER small isnt smart.

Now as far as this import big goes, we need to sign an absolute stud, because this lineup so far is not that flash....

Reply #324870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way signing Mills would make any sense would be if we axed Warren. Two six foot and under guys at the 1 & 2 is just asking for trouble when our best defender (herbert) would still be on the bench.

Aside from the Mills thing I don't think we can afford to start Ng. Too short and would give up way too much defensively so would prefer to see him as the back up to Herbert.

Reply #324871 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good point about him only being slightly smaller than Ng, Maher was also a similar size and was fine at SG, as i said earlier i reckon his offence would make up for any deficiancies on defence, as he would kill most opposing SG's on offfense.

Iverson was also Mills's size and he played SG in the NBA against bigger and more athletic players.
So i would be fine with signing Mills and having a small guard line up.

Infact id be more annoyed if the 36ers passed up signign Mills for 'team balance reasons' as he would be the best signing the 36ers have had in years probably close to a decade, would bring fans to the game, show other stars that the 36ers are a good club, and if he did end up playing the full season in the NBL, if not sticking around longer, i want it to be with the 36ers, if he wants to come, in short never pass up a Aussie player of Mills's talent if he wants to play for you. If he wants to sign elsewhere then thats cool, but if he ends up signing in say Cairns and it comes out the 36ers rejected him so he went to Cairns, and played several seasons, i think many fans would be annoyed and rightly so.

Last player we didnt sign for team balance reasons was Schenscher (twice) and look where that got us, last and 2nd last, not saying Schenscher would have totally turned our seasons around, but would have only helped improve results, and we wouldnt have had to offer him a better than normal offer to try and get him back like we tried to do this year.

Reply #324872 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think Boomers go to China , London and Spain
then play NZ , if the Sixers are having tryouts here
and imports are coming here
maybe Clarke is staying here and is replaced by Bogut
as the Boomers assistant coach.

Reply #324873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call on the import being a stud but mills can take his spot. Your kidding youself if you think were to small with him. yes anyone else but its patty. What he lacks in size he makes up in smarts and speed. He would dominate this league.

Reply #324874 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

With a budget 4-5 import in the mould of Ellis/Rose/Maxey... I can't see why we couldn't go for Patty.
The skill set that Warren brings to the table would be quite effective in the 2 spot. He's a quality shooter first and foremost, so could even be better off at the 2.
Crosswell and Ng become pretty pointless, but it makes us a pretty dangerous offensive unit. Defensively we'd probably give up 100 ppg, but at the very least we will be fun to watch.
I don't see the need for us to bring in 2 quality bigs, just for team balance. We already have our 2 starter quality bigs. Add an import to them and there's no reason why that isn't enough. If anything, getting 2 good bigs will create more headaches than it solves. Now you have to work out how to give Ballinger his 30 mins, Johnson his 25-30 mins, the import his 20 or more minutes and Mottram/Vasiljevic his worthwhile amount of minutes.
Missing out on the opportunity of Mills in preference of Mottram/Vasiljevic because of a perceived gain in team balance just seems ridiculous to me.
If Mills wants to play for us and we can make it happen, then just do it. Any disadvantage will be forgotten when he drops 30 in round 1.

Reply #324875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Patty Mills would dominate as much as everyone thinks. I think people are very excited about how his career is panning out, and rightly so, being an Aussie and all, but our league, although not as marketable and having money flow through it, is a solid standard. He would be Allstar 5 id say, BUT isnt like he would come in and average a triple double.

Reply #324876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon mills will dominate. He has to perform and show he is a cut above the rest to continue in the nba. Watch his boomers games he is arguably the 2nd best player on the team.

Reply #324877 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hendo, I don't think anyone on this thread was saying we have to have TWO 'quality bigs' just that this was the most likely scenario given what Marty said to Boti.

Patty would be great, but it is MORE important to ensure we get one really good backup big first. The way Balls and DJ played last year, I'm not ready to trust that they will both play 30 effective mins every night. We need a guy who can bring intensity, rebounding and defence when our starters don't (poor play) or can't (fouls).

If we can somehow afford Patty after that, I'm all for it, but I would be surprised if it works out that way.

Reply #324878 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Mills would be the best marketing the club could EVER have. On that alone I would sign him if I was the SOS.
Secondly if he makes it in the NBA, we have the "oh Mills played for us then went to the NBA" Drawcard lol.
Secondly weve played the last 2 years without a proper centre..why make this year different!

Reply #324882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great call skud. But we would have a Stella gaurd that can make dj look real gd.

Reply #324884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol - axe the import before he even lands - yeah, that'd be a cheap exercise. Shitload of money to spend before a guy even gets on the plane out here.

It's simple folks, the mills boat has sailed for the 6ers.

Reply #324885 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would definitely sign Mills if he is available, he would be one of the top 5 players in the league. Look at the guys who have scored at a similar ppg at WCs as Mills - Ere, Bruton, Penney (although much higher last time) and Abercrombie - he would be a super NBL player and you dont turn them down.

Ballinger, Johnson and the last back-up have the traditional bigs side of it covered, and then there are PF match-ups that Weigh and on occasion Creek can cover when other teams go with a quick line-up (Mims, Garlepp, Dann, Ratzsh, Boucher, Rush, Redhage etc).

While Mills and Warren will have some defensive issues, imagine the defensive issues other teams will have trying to cover them!! Johnson will have a field day under the basket catching passes and finishing.

Reply #324893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wont happen, Adelaide just dont have enough $$$ for this to become reality. And id say Mills agent would strongly suggest he play anywhere but Australia, sadly our league doesnt have any pull on the international stage. Throw whatever money they have left at a decent big and try to get out of the bottom 3 positions on the ladder.

Reply #324914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:19 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754