2012 Olympic Boomer Squad?

1 year out, what will it be?

For me I like:

Bogut Andersen Maric
Nielsen Jawai
Newley Barlow
Ingles Drimic
Mills Gibson Martin

Next in line: Dellevadova, Baynes, Drmic, Greenwood, Crawford, Wortho.

Topic #25963 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

monkey, add Kyrie Irving to that list if he wants and is allowed to play. Plus Martin is better than Gibson

Reply #324911 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

I think it's certain that Wortho will be on the team, even as 12th man.

The team picks itself for the most part.

Reply #324916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if crawford makes the boomers squad, i will be barracking for NZ!

Reply #324917 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Wortho for Jawai and Irving for Drmic

Reply #324918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about whole team but my 1st 8 chosen would be:

Irving
Newley
Ingles
Andersen
Bogut
Mills
Jawai
Neilsen

Not bad, 5 guys with NBA experience

Reply #324923 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Would not be suprised to see Greenwood at the London Olympics. He has been involved with the Boomers for quite a while already. Could be like the impact Mills made in Beijing.

Reply #324925 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

My team would be

Bogut/Jawai
Neilsen/Andersen
Barlow/Worthington
Ingles/Newley
Irving/Mills

With probably Maric and Greenwood in the finaly squad. I hated leaving out Martin but would like to give experience in this spot to Greenwood as I don't see the spot getting much run.

Reply #324927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know that Trigger has made the team!

Reply #324932 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bogut, M Knight, Barlow, Ingles, Mills
Andersen, Ogilvy, Newley, Martin, Gibson, Jawai/Maric, Wagstaff

Reply #324934 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

paul, Don't you like our chances of getting Irving?
If we can't get Irving I would have Martin.

Reply #324938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No I dont think we'll get Irving, I would have Martin in the team even if we did. He is a gun, just needs to get that shot rock solid and I think he'll be one of our absolute best, ahead of Newley, Ingles etc.

Reply #324939 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I agree on Ogilvy definitely being includeed in the team.

Reply #324942 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Remember the Boomers still have to qualify.
NZ will be extremely tough.
Sounds like some posters are getting ahead of themselves.

Reply #324943 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Not sure if Bogut will be available in the NBA lockout is still happening (probably unlikely). Isn't there an issue with regards to insurance for Bogut that BA cannot afford?

Reply #324945 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Well said Macdub, no point naming teams until you have actually qualified, gone are the days where you just have to turn up to beat NZ. And as half those names will not make themselves available to qualify your job just got harder.
I don't see anything too intimidating about the Boomers lineup for the Stankovic Cup apart from Dellavedova, Gibson and Worthington (a few young guys I admittedly don't know much about).

Reply #324960 | Report this post

Jackie C  
Years ago

Irving has played for the USA already. The paperwork, approvals with USA basketball, FIBA etc to go through for him to play for Australia - it won't happen. It's a dream.

Reply #324961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well said Macdub, no point naming teams until you have actually qualified, gone are the days where you just have to turn up to beat NZ. And as half those names will not make themselves available to qualify your job just got harder.
I don't see anything too intimidating about the Boomers lineup for the Stankovic Cup apart from Dellavedova, Gibson and Worthington (a few young guys I admittedly don't know much about)."

Why is there no point in naming teams. It's hypothetical and just a bit of fun.

Why did you name Dellavedova? He isn't even in our top 5 best players in this team! Yet he would be New Zealand's third best player in their A team!

Reply #324968 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Dellevedova was the primary PG in the Boomers team that won the Stankovic Cup team that won 2 years ago and he did a pretty damn good job.

Kids only gotten better since then in my opinion

Reply #324969 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Why did you name Dellavedova? He isn't even in our top 5 best players in this team! Yet he would be New Zealand's third best player in their A team!

yet NZ still qualified in front of the Boomers for the last WC's lol

I mentioned Dellavedova because I have watched him play for St Mary's and he is good and only gonna get better.

Reply #324994 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The last Stankovic Cup had B and C teams playing, none of those teams would have come close to a good NBL side.

Reply #324995 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I notice some don't like the aussie captain
and paul has left him home.
Most likely , I'd take Matthew Nielsen.

Reply #325060 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

This team for the most part picks itself

Patty Mills
Brad Newley
David Barlow
Matt Neilson
Andrew Bogut

Damien Martin
Joe Ingles
Mark Worthington
David Anderson
Irving (if there was a miracle... not likely)

there all scrapping for the last few spots and chances of injuries the rest of the guys I believe. Theres a chance for a few Emus to maybe stumble into the mix, I would say Gibsons a good shot, guys that have been in the past few camps would have a shot, Kazzouh as well... Kazzouh would give the team a very different look at times. Theres going to be plenty of depth for this team... I would hope neither Shensher or Nevill get to the olympics, there crap.

Reply #325069 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

might i add that this olympics if we make it, is make or break for the boomers in alot of respects... there all in there prime... they can no longer claim to be a team on the rise... if the team is formed like above, most of thoes players have ample international experience.. if its a team like that with some solid role players mixed in from emu-stars, etc... wagstaff types, nmaybe jawai if he gets his shit together... it should be right in the mix. if there gonna do something special and medal... its at the london olympics...

Reply #325070 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like your team Hurley, though I think this group (Bogut, Jawai, Ogilvy, Khazzouh, Newley, Martin, Ingles, Mills etc) will be at their best in 2014 and 2016.

Reply #325075 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Great topic guys...

My team

Mills/Dellavedova
Markovic/Martin
Ingles/Greenwood
Neilsen/Andersen
Bogut/Jawai

Drmic
Worthington

I think it's time to move passed Ingles, Newley, Barlow & Worthington at the 2/3 spot - They can't get it done and only Worthington looks like he actually wants to win. We need guys that play with passion like Mills, Delly & Greenwood to complement the passion of Neilsen, Bog's and Andersen. I worry that my group is too young and could possibly go with Newley or Barlow instead of Drmic but we need to have 1 eye on the future here and Drmic will form and integral role at some stage in the not too distant future. From what I've seen Brett Brown is thinking the same way.

Would also be worth BA funding a trip for Dante Exum and Ben Simmons for the experience....

Reply #325637 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's time to move passed Ingles, Newley, Barlow & Worthington at the 2/3 spot
Not sure how many people you're going to convince with that argument against Ingles right now. You don't get a multi-year deal with Barcelona for no reason.

Reply #325645 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Brown has moved past those guys at the 2-3 spot, preferring small SGs, sitting Barlow on the bench and viewing WOrtho as a PF. I think we need to go back to those guys in those spots.

Reply #325650 | Report this post

Deep Thinker  
Years ago

damn its a shame Kyle irving won't play for Australia!

Reply #355506 | Report this post

Deep Speller  
Years ago

Pity about Kyrie as well

Reply #355531 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think that the Olympic team pretty much picks itself for the most part.

Take the 12 men that represented Australia against NZ last year for Olympic qualifying, and add the three guys that we're unavailable (Bogut, Andersen, Jawai) and you've got yourself a 15-man squad as follows;

Guards: Mills, Dellavedova, Gibson, Martin
Wings: Newley, Ingles, Barlow, Worthington
Bigs: Bogut, Nielsen, Andersen, Maric, Jawai, Baynes, Ogilvy

Perhaps throw Pete Crawford into the mix purely for his shooting/scoring ability, as this is an area the Boomers have lacked in the past couple of years.

I too once thought that 2012 would be our best shot at a medal, but the lack of pure shooters/scorers available at the two-guard spot hurts this team badly, so we may have to wait until the 2014/2016 WC/OG years to see this team truly blossom with the additions of Drmic, Greenwood and perhaps Motum.

Reply #355548 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Like your thinking Vart - was thinking along the same lines myself.

Reply #355550 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, I think three of those big guys will miss out, and maybe one guard for Crawford if he has a great lead up, and that's your 12.

Reply #355552 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

paul, whilst I think you're probably on the right track about the bigs, I wouldn't be surprised to see BB go with five bigs, and really play to our strength, as this is the area that we may have a genuine advantage over most other nations at the moment.

Reply #355568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754