Anonymous
Years ago

Penney signs in Spain

Kirk Penney has signed to play with Fuenlabrada in Spain next season

Topic #25972 | Report this topic

BJF  
Years ago

Massive blow to the Breakers

http://euroleagueadventures.com/elatv-kirk-penney-takes-the-haka-to-fuenlabrada/

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/spain/30027/fuenlabrada_tabs_scoring_machine_kirk_penney.html

Reply #325000 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Reply #325001 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great for Penney though...last crack at Europe would would think before what one would hope would be a last hurrah with the Breakers upon a return to NZ.

Reply #325003 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/spain/30027/fuenlabrada_tabs_scoring_machine_kirk_penney.html

Penney leaving free's up a lot of space salary cap wise in the Breakers, should chase Mills signature to piss off the Australians lol as NZ can afford him points wise and $ wise.
I would personally chase Sean Marks and a gun Import PG/SG.
Big props to Penney for all he has done at the Breakers especially last years championship, a little surprised that he is leaving but also grateful for having the opportunity to watch a player of his skill and caliber live on a weekly basis.

Reply #325005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would get Gary Wilkinson over Sean Marks.

Reply #325006 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Wilkinson is an import Marks isn't, I think what mystro was saying is get an import PG and SG

Reply #325008 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Gary is good yes but he doesn't have the benefit of having played and trained in the best league in the world consistently for the past 10years. Marks>Wilkinson (otherwise Wilkinson would have an NBA contract and I have never seen Wilkinson dunk on Yao Ming)

Reply #325010 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Big Sexy spot on, Pledger and Marks and BJ take up the big man rotation with Fotu available in home games. Gun Import PG or Mills (just having a windup) running the point with CJ and an average/cheaper Import SG with Webster covering for him and Abercrombie and Vukona take the SF spots.

Reply #325011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't we learnt that an NBA player isn't better than a non NBA player just because he plays in the NBA?

I guess you think DJ Mbenga is better than Milos Teodosic?

I would go with

Bruton/Dickel
Import/Webster
Abercrombie/Boucher
Vukona/Anthony
Wilkinson/Pledger

With the import being an absolute stud with all the money they would have now.

Reply #325014 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I am not basing my argument on Marks warming the bench in the NBA, I am basing it on games I have actually seen him play against top opposition.

Reply #325015 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anon, you can keep Dickle.

Reply #325016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What games are these, Mystro, and in what year?

Reply #325017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Congratulations Kirk, well earned dollars. Spanish league and Euroleague are very different styles to the NBL though, I hope they use him well and dont just see him as a spot up shooter.

Re Marks/Wilkinson: I agree with anon, however if you can get Marks and two good imports (unlikely but some are cynical about NZs bookkeeping) you would do it.

On talent, I prefer the idea of Wilkinson and a stud SG than Marks and two ok imports, but the other factor to consider is that Marks could want to play for a few years and would be a drawcard, so NZ would be pretty hesitant to say no to him if he were interested.

I liked anons line-up though and that could definitely challenge for a championship. The race is wide open now.

Reply #325019 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

his whole career (drafed by Knicks and then went to Raptors, Heat and Spurs, Suns, Hornets) since he is the only NZer in the NBA there aren't many to follow ;)

Reply #325020 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

also forgot about short stints with the Trailblazers and Bobcats. He had some decent games with New Orleans and was part of the Tall Blacks dream run in the WC's where we made the Semi's (until he got an eye injury and was forced to pull out).

he has decent range on his jumpshot as illustrated here with a nice assist by our possible future PG lol ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWtp8IeZQE

and here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj738UaKjzc&feature=related (wouldn't say it was really over Love, more of an open look)

here is his WC flush over a fresh young Yao Ming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR9ZnrMDD3s

The guy may not be Bogut (by a long shot) but he's the closest NZ have ever come and he can play.

Reply #325021 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pta9jf4xYvI&feature=related
Marks can play a little D also, guy he blocked gets a little court time for his team and has decent hops ;)

Reply #325029 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers please sign this guard and Marks ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnOJm9qeZUQ

Reply #325033 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hey Mystro,
So does that mean he is leaving in the next few weeks/months to miss the upcoming NBL season?
Or is he playing this NBL season, and then going next year?
Might be a dumb question, but its the weekend and I've had a busy week at University ;)

Reply #325037 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah he had until August 1 to commit to NZ Breakers for upcoming NBL season but has exercised his Europe/NBA out clause to sign with Spanish Liga ACB club Baloncesto Fuenlabrada. They made the Quarter finals last season and will be looking to finish higher with Penney's scoring ability. I guess he will move over there after he has finished his Tall Black commitments.

Reply #325038 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

dickel would be a good pickup...he helped the kings hugely when he came in last year

Reply #325049 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kings needed all the help they could get last season.

Reply #325050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't judge a player by how they played 10 years ago, or even 3 years ago for that matter! What has he done in the last couple of years? Sat on the bench and watched games I'm guessing?

Reply #325051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd take Wilkinson over Marks. I also don't think you bring either Abercrombie or Vukona off the bench.

Reply #325052 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great thing is you could potentially have Marks and Wilkinson and another import @ PG. I'd be more than happy to have Wilkinson back and would not be surprised if it is announced in the next week that he is, but I hope that the Breakers are chasing Sean Marks signature also so that New Zealand can watch him play in NZ for a NZ franchise.
The Breakers managed to get wins when Penney was in San Antonio but Henare as since departed but you still have Vukona and Bruton and Abercrombie up your sleeve so it's prob not panic stations @ Atlas Place. NZ have a fair bit of cap space and points space left to play with and I would be very surprised if Lemanis wasn't in the loop from the get go.
They may just get 2 decent Imports, Wilkinson and a gun PG and possibly even a Leon Henry or other NZNBL cheap versatile player.

Kirk Penney is a pretty hard act to follow but at least the Cap Space and $ allow that 1 person isn't being relied upon to fill his shoes and carry the team.

Reply #325059 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think on the majority of nights the Breakers wont be any worse off, they still have great talent and function very well as a team on the offensive end. If they choose the right import they will also be a fair bit better off defensively.

Where they will be worse off is those 6-8 nights where Penney just went off and was unstoppable, basically making it near impossible for the other team to keep up on the scoreboard.

Happy for Penney, sad not to see him in the league, but also think it is a good thing for parity and giving NZ's young guys more of an opportunity to shine.

Reply #325066 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

be a good time for Webster to put his hand up.

Reply #325067 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jerry Smith PG / Bruton
Jason Crowe SG /Webster
Tom Abercrombie SF /Boucher
Mika Vukona PF /Anthony
Sean Marks C /Pledger

you also get the benefit of the Waikato Pistons chemistry with Crowe, Smith, Abercrombie, Pledger, BJ Anthony all having played together in the NZNBL.

But I tend to think they'll offer Wilkinson more now that they can afford more and sign a decent Import PG. Last local spot is a toss up, are there any top Aussies without a club (Boomers etc)?

Reply #325094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Newley/Dave Barlow?

Reply #325109 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Crowe sucks, why would you want to bring him back in to the league?

Reply #325120 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Mr bEn, because we heard you already had a contract.

Reply #325154 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lindsay Tait signed this morning is what I have heard!

Reply #325160 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great Pickup if true, be great to see him back home in Blue and Black. Next will be Wilkinson I suspect followed by a stud PG/SG.

Import/ Tait
CJ/ Webster
Abercrombie/ Boucher
Vukona/ Anthony
Wilkinson/ Pledger

Development: Bloxham, Fotu

Reply #325164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From NZH:

However, Breakers general manager Richard Clarke had previously told the Herald Penney's contract contained no European out-clause and Penney would only be able to leave the club to take up an NBA contract.

"[Penney's] only out is an NBA-out so he is with us for next year," Clarke said on March 23.

That statement now appears to be incorrect. Clarke didn't respond to messages left on his phone yesterday.

Yesterday, the Breakers' website was still prominently displaying a story, dated July 7, that declared Clarke 90 per cent sure the club would retain Penney.

Reply #325184 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah I also read that Isaac, but in a previous interview with Penney he said that everyone has been in the loop from the get go regarding the offer from Spain.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/5365958/Breakers-say-hasta-la-vista-to-Kirk-Penney/

he has only signed to play for a year so it may not be long before he is back in a breakers uniform.

And the only info on Tait I can find is signing with the Breakers in 04, where did you hear this Anon?

Reply #325186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sometimes it seems that the writers are a bit quick to paint Penney as problematic. Not sure if the Breakers camp is suggesting that to them or if it's just the usual thing NZ sports writers seem to do when things don't go well.

Reply #325201 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

x2 Isaac, it's like they have a story in their head regardless of what is actually being said to them lol.
NZ were lucky to have such a high Caliber player on their roster full stop, should be grateful as.
Had Lemanis on TV last night basically saying they have lots of cash now to spend on Imports, Wilkinson is expected to sign asap and that they are flashing cash Gary Ervin's way to try and lure him to NZ.
Be nice to swap an MVP for an MVP.

Reply #325276 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers FB page has said that the first Import is signed but they haven't said who but it is thought to be Gary Wilkinson who was keen to return to the club for more $.

Reply #325288 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Confirmed on Breakers FB page that Wilkinson has resigned. Team now stands as

? / ?
CJ / Webster
Abercrombie / Boucher
Vukona / Anthony
Wilkinson / Pledger

1 Import spot left and 1 Local Spot left with 10 player points available for each spot.

Reply #325334 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754