Anonymous
Years ago

State Coaching Positions - any news or prediction

Not sure whether nominations for all positions have closed yet but wondering if anyone can predict or may know positions?

Topic #26048 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16s dont close til later this month

Reply #326101 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who will coach U20 boys??

Reply #326112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd think Casella will if he wants to.... Medalled last yr.

Reply #326118 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Who will coach U20 Women??

Reply #326131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the 20 boys coach did a good job last year, from a guy that was at the whole tournament watching he did everything he could to put those guys in a winning position... often he was there scouting late at night on his own & he had the team playing pretty well across the week and it paid off with a medal in the end. i would expect him to get another chance.. seems like a really good guy and dedicated coach, not for his own gain but for love of basketball & wants to see SA win

Reply #326135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They pick on a spin of a chocolate wheel. The same coaches rotate.

Reply #326140 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

Casella is a great coach and deserves the job if he wants it.

Reply #326141 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

i wont get it didnt apply, couldnt be bothered, too busy looking after my div 1 team, if they paid some cash to do it might have been bothered

Reply #326143 | Report this post

Opti  
Years ago

not likely to me either - i didnt apply.

Reply #326145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slick you sounds like the just the guy I want working with my kid.... NOT

Reply #326151 | Report this post

Lily  
Years ago

If you're only interested in applying for cash, then you're probably the wrong person for it.

Reply #326152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Casella has done a good job the past two years.

Who will do 16s this year will be interesting.

Reply #326155 | Report this post

Years ago

16s dont close for another week

Reply #326159 | Report this post

Thriller  
Years ago

I can't see there being a chance in the boys side for next year. Not sure there's really any reason to change unless there's some stand out applicant.

Girls - that will be interesting. I assume 18s will be same, and I think 16s deserves another chance... 20s up in the air.

Reply #326163 | Report this post

Thriller  
Years ago

Change on the boys side, I mean.

Reply #326165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#135 you where no where near the tournament this year.

Reply #326169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do they get paid or expensives covered?

Reply #326220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lots of freebies but also a big time commitment. Its a tired group of coaches who cycle through the positions though and fresh eyes needed top to bottom.

Reply #326222 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

Reply #326151

your kid probably wouldnt get into my team!!!!

Lily i dont coach for cash, but the time needed to put in looking after division 1-4 and parents takes up too much time to apply for state jobs, thats why you dont get the 'best' coaches applying!!

Reply #326226 | Report this post

Thriller  
Years ago

Really? How many coaches are there out there better than the ones currently doing the job? I'd say not many.

Reply #326230 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

Me!!

Reply #326231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with slick, and 99% of coaches would be better but the committment to Div1 and all the issues that come with takes alot of time and energy. People who haven't coached though at this level would not be informed to make a judgement on this.
Those who have passion and care for the sport put in many voluntary hours to improve the kids. Unfortunately it does seem that some coaches are in it for themeselves and don't have the biiger picture focus.

Reply #326233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slick you are a tool and all your parents think it. However, you rate yourself so highly and have such big tickets on yourself they are afraid to come forward and give you some home truths.

I hope you become a state coach so you can wear egg on your face. Unfortunately it will never happen.

Reply #326234 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

What club does Slick coach at?

Reply #326240 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

have a guess

Reply #326241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would agree with slick i would have to say any of the coaches of the top 4 Under 18 boys teams would have been better than the guy that got the under 18 gig, but i bet none of them applied

i am going to guess norwood

Reply #326243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So as a hypothetical name who you think should be the state coaches.

Reply #326249 | Report this post

titan  
Years ago

I'd say your guess is way off the mark.

Reply #326250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern

Reply #326252 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

wrong - wrong

keep trying

Reply #326253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would have thought Peter Ali would make a great state coach, his under 18 team is undefeated so far this winter season, has lots of experience.

doesnt coach at sturt or forrestville though!!

Reply #326254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter has been a state coach in the past and wasn't all that successful.

And his team Came 3rd at State Champs. And 10th at classics.

Reply #326255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't you tell us Slick oh great one.

Reply #326256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slick doesn't coach a div 1 team that is close to playing finals so really doesn't matter. His ego is enough to for him not to coach at an elite level, and the reason he does not apply because he can not handle being told how average he really is...

Reply #326262 | Report this post

Years ago

peter ali very good coach of young adults you would not knock him if he had coached your child. as of state champs and classics as u know losing one game is a problem in this format the state week to week games is a different matter

Reply #326315 | Report this post

the ghost  
Years ago

sturt won state champs and are more tactically experienced so are a better team

Reply #326316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait arent west 16-0 and sturt are 11-5?

Reply #326317 | Report this post

ganyemede  
Years ago

Just looking at sportingpulse, and it looks as though the loser of sturt v southern 18 boys next week will miss the finals. southern have beaten sturt before, so it's very possible.

Reply #326318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you have to be annointed by the Gods remember

Reply #326319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt won't miss out cos they get to play south last round, if tigers win and get over north last round they are in, if tigers lose and Forrestville win next week they will make finals!

Reply #326323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thisnis how dumb people are on this site.

You are saying Peter is a good coach over a season and therefore should be a state coach.

But that his team failed to perform at State Champs and classics cause they are tournaments.

Do you not realise that State is also a tournament format?

Reply #326329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt and Norwood got the better draw in state champs, only had 1 tough game, west, tigers, woodville and Forrestville all had to battle it out,

Reply #326340 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And how did you work that out sunshine - puleeese exploin

Reply #326344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt and Norwood had to play, south, centrals, and the mavs not a real hard draw!!

Reply #326349 | Report this post

ganyemede  
Years ago

You might want to check that again.

First of all I'm just assuming that Southern beat Mavs Friday night. If not then forget what I'm about to say!

At the moment Sturt have 5 losses, Tigers have 5 and a draw, and Forestville have 5 and a draw.

Forestville have two easy games to finish off, so they will finish with 5 and a half losses. Sturt and Tigers will both win in round 18, so whoever loses this week will miss out. One of them will have six losses. Forestville's win over Norwood on Friday should see them in for sure.

Reply #326350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forrestville are no gaurantee to beat woodpile, don't count your chicken till. They are hatched

Reply #326360 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Maybe the big factor is selecting the best candidate from those that actually apply for these positions.
To put ill-informed crap on someone with the credentials of someone like like Peter Ali (level 3) is very naive and obviously someone with no real idea of his record, be it coaching or playing.
He obviously has enough on his plate with a new employment appointment and I don't think the State Coach position would be enough to swing him across

Reply #326387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly people have lives outside of basketball therefore you dont always get the best coach, just whoever applies.

Reply #326405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic coaches up for grabs. 16's to be the same you would expect not sure about 18's, two losses for the men should see a change couldn't live up to the previous coach, girls no change

Reply #326612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about sa country?

Reply #326648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hanging around and slick.... I think if you did your research you'd find that those that apply and for and get state roles generally have decades of high level coaching and/or playing experience in junior basketball. Most have had success at the district level. Most have also been in the state program/ABL programs head/assistant coaches before and also worked in the SASI program. Most have being heavily involved in working with kids that have gone onto National and International levels. I doubt there would be many better qualified.

Some don't put their hands for these roles such as Peter Ali. Peter has an oustanding basketball background and we should respect that. I think Peter would be the first to admit his time is done at the state level. 2 things he lacks to achieve success in the role are desire and being able to prioritise the time commitment.

Then there are people like "slick" unfortunately "slick" is neither the type mentioned in the first paragarph, nor the Peter Ali type. They say they don't apply because they "have a life", or theyre "too busy". Realistically they have no idea and don't know enough to realise they have no idea.

Reply #326659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there is going to be quite a debate once the SAC coaches have been revealed, judging what I have read on here recently re the performances and therefore the back lash. It will be interesting to again read the comments when all is revealed.

Reply #326703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if Southerns under 18 boys coach has applied for a gig

Reply #327153 | Report this post

lo 78  
Years ago

He should, if not this year then in the near future. Has had a good year.

Reply #327154 | Report this post

red56  
Years ago

#154 Is this a joke? Having a good year does not assume one should be getting a go at State level. He's won nothing. There are coaches in every age group that have 'had a good year'. Your definition of 'a good year' is a little different down there, isn't it? Good luck to him on a promising start to his coaching, but he has a LONG way to go.

Reply #327166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know when SA Country will be announcing their State coaches?

Reply #327173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wot difference will it make. The kids who are in will be in! The coach then goes thru the motions! Kids who got scholarships at early age will continue to get scholarships (too embarrassing not to give them out or change players as it shows failure). Those kids then become basis of State team. Happens in SA, happens in Vic and sure it happens everywhere else!

Reply #327246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happens everywhere ????

Vic team had 5 new kids in the boys from the team that won at Tassie 2 years earlier. Young players given a go and some who had never been before.

Beaten by a NSW team that had new faces as well.

Reply #327336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Complete change in Vic Metro I am hearing (18s)

Reply #331055 | Report this post

Q2  
Years ago

Brenton Johnson U-20 SA Women's Coach = WTF!!

Reply #331073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys club

Reply #331084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently you can only coach if you are a SASI "yes man"...

Yet again no accountability for previous poor results. Yet again our young athletes are short-changed for the nepotism.

Reply #331125 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754