MACDUB
Years ago

Steve Adams future NBA Star

Steve absolutely tore up the competition at the Adidas Nations Basketball Tournament in LA over the past few days.

He averaged 22 and 16.8ppg playing for Team Asia.
He had a 37 point and 14 rebound performance against USA.

Aran Smith of nbadraft.net considers Steve to be the Number 1 International Prospect.
'If NBA scouts had been allowed to be in attendance this week at adidas Nations, the buzz around this kid would be out of control right now,'Smith wrote.

'Adams has become the No 1 international prospect out there and will be the top centre prospect in college the minute he steps on the court at Pittsburgh.

'The interesting thing is that he's actually eligible to declare for the 2012 draft. Had NBA scouts been able to be here to see him, there's an excellent chance he could have been a top-10 pick in the 2012 draft.

'As it is, he could probably crack the top 20 and possibly the lottery just by working out for teams and through videos ... (but) in reality, he will benefit greatly by playing a year or two of college ball and developing his skills before jumping to the league.

Amazing that we can produce a star like this!
I mean the systems/basketball structure in NZ isn't very good and competition isn't exactly strong.

Some other scouts said the following on Adams:

"Pro,pro,pro" -College coach told CBSSports
DraftExpress.com's Jonathan Givony, who was also in attendance, added that while Adams' 'all-around offensive game and fundamentals' needed some work, he is a rare physical specimen 'who will contribute immediately and is a huge steal for Pitt and very likely a future NBA player'.

Topic #26052 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

saw the stats the other day on RealGM. Pretty impressive numbers.

Reply #326181 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

nbadraft.net just gave him an overall grade of 97.

His potential, size, athleticism and defense were all rated a 9.

NZ doesn't produce many 6"11-7" guys.
The AIS produces a myriad of players this size, but none have received the kind of attention this kid is getting!

Reply #326208 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

What about Bogut? He went to the AIS didn't he?

Nevertheless, Adams looks the goods. Great Stats, good luck to the kid.

Reply #326217 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think people thought Bogut was going to be an excellent professional player (Europe). But Because of his lack of athleticism he wasn't considered a lock-in for the NBA.

It wasn't until he got to Utah and then had a fantastic 2004 Olympics (14.8ppg and 8.8rpg) that people definitely saw him as an NBA prospect. After his sophomore season, there was no doubt he was going to be a good NBA player. And now he is indeed a very good Basketball player; IMO the most underrated.

So he developed constantly and slowly throughout the years. Seems as though his time at Utah was huge in his development (and obviously partaking in 04 Olympics).

Reply #326218 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

He looks like a decent athlete based on the youtube clip I just saw of him. Has only been playing 5 years now, according to what he said in the same clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NIE-ilKueA

Is he a chance for the Tall Blacks roster in the Olympic qualifiers?

Reply #326286 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Beantown, I think its a definite yes that he will be part of the TB's for Oceanias. I assume he will replace Isaac Fotu.
I know he was going to go on the TB's Euro tour and Stankovic Cup tournament, but didn't want to miss 5 weeks of school (He isn't the brightest academically and I think the smart decision has been made to stay home and study so that he is academically eligible for PITT).

The Adidas Nations was not even a week long, hence why he chose that over the TB's.

Unsure of how much future time he will get with the TB's given his potential PITT commitments, but Id say that every time he is available in the future he will be selected.

Reply #326288 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'll keep an eye out for him at the Olympic qualifiers then - hopefully he doesn't stand out TOO much on the court! ;-)

Reply #326290 | Report this post

CodyFish  
Years ago

Yeah I saw his game and it was pretty impressive.He is a real chance to be a top-five pick in the 2013 NBA draft

Reply #327116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754