Jack Toft
Years ago

ABL Finals Action - Week 1

I've been trying all day, but it hasn't worked, so here we go!

Women:
Norwood get the week off. Maybe they'll braid each other’s hair, sing into a hairbrush and have a pillow fight. Unlikely....I expect they’ll be at Pasadena getting ready for next week.

Topic #26053 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sturt-West @ Pasadena 6:30
Last time these teams met, Sturt's shooting let them down handing West a win. That game was without Madgen, so perhaps that’s an indication of how important she is to the team structure. Without Madgen their defence remains the same (57.6), but offensively they flop like tuna on a Port Lincoln fishing boat dropping from 85.5 ppg to 65.6 ppg. Control Madgen, control Sturt? If only it was that easy! Did someone mention Madge is at Uni games? The Marino Cup is on the table, so who will draw first blood to have a crack at Norwood? Reckon that still might be Sturt.

Reply #326173 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Eagles-Lions @ Wayville 6:30
Last time the Lionesses were in finals Ben Todd had hair. The Eagles have been very lucky the last two weeks to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat to limp unconvincingly across the line. The Lionesses have found their roar this season and there's a saying you should never wake a sleeping lion ... or bear ... or tiger … or baby. In general, just don't wake things! Madgen is to Sturt as Borrego is to Forestville. Borrego adds nearly 19 points to the Eagle’s overall effort so if the Lionesses can control her, then they might be in for a chance at a fairytale run. If Toddy turns up in a grey suit stroking a cat, then we know there is an evil plan afoot. Forestville have lucked wins the last two weeks and while they go in as favourites with the benefit of the home court, they might find the Luck of the Irish smiles on the Lionesses this week.

Reply #326174 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Men:
The Norwood men have the luxury of a week off. Maybe THEY will be the ones braiding each other's hair. No, wait, they’ll go to Norwood bowl to take advantage of the bowling ball polishing machine. (refer Simpsons......)

Eagles-Sturt @ Wayville 8:15
Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windscreen. Sturt have won their last 4 (last loss was Forestville) and 9 of their last 10. Incredibly, Forestville have gone better on the road than at home this season. With Jakob looking to impress and Darren back, one expects Sturt would have Forestville’s measure. We all know Sturt is better than Forestville in the boys. Yep, Sturt will be the windscreen this week. Get the squeegee ready for squashed Eagle. The Forestville Jedi to be no match for the Sturt Sith - I know who will play Lord Vader and Darth Sidius, but who will play the Emperor? and who of you put Jedi as their religion on the census?

West-North @ Port
West have played a lot of close games this season and this will be another close one. Dowdell is back for finals to boost West’s chances and it may be a good time for him to farewell his team mates. It would be a waste of an airfare otherwise. West have North on two strikes this season and can strike them out this week. Dowdell and Nurse are the obvious keys to unlock the game. I suspect Tracey has been keeping her powder dry ready for finals and has a plan not to strike out. North should savour the win this week like a juicy lamb shank – next week they face the Rash. Nothing against the wharfies, North just seem to be peaking at the right time.

Reply #326175 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cometh thehour cometh the Man - 007 licensed to Shoot.Think James b

Reply #326176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was getting ready to call the SAS Troops... We hit Thursday arvo with no Jack Toft thread! But thankfully you are safe, and now we have it!!

Reply #326178 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It wouldn't let me add and kept crashing!

Fear not, I wasn't in London or kidnapped by a group of Swedish nymphomaniacs.....

Reply #326179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

London Bad,

Swedish Nymphomaniacs.... hmmmmm LOL!

Reply #326180 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Jack
Any "photos" of your Captors --OR phone numbers??
I think the Bearcats will give Tracey & Corey a sad farewell from the Rockets.
So glad that you are able to provide your anticipated finals preview

Reply #326183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

friggin bloody love your work every week jack. not sure bout sturt prediction however, they might be without both dalys

Reply #326187 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Loved the Jedi bit. Sweden has me wondering...

Reply #326188 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Jack easily gets my 3 votes for Hoops MVP of the season.

Always love your work Jack, your write ups are brilliant.

Reply #326199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without the Trio Tess, Mons and Chris the task will be hard

Reply #326210 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Sad farewell from North for Tracy and Corey hey Hangin Round? I've heard rumours Tracy won't be back next year? Can you confirm?

Also heard it may be a sad farewell from the Bearcats junior program for Corey? He has been there a long time and always produces some quality teams so would be a huge loss!

Reply #326212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

answer: you need to get out more.

Reply #326224 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Jack, please return in 2012. I cant wait each week for these.

Are you going to do a write up for 36ers games??

Reply #326227 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

annon, if I can escape the clutches of the Swedes, then I might be back in time.....

Reply #326238 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Anyone know if Neil Mottram will be playing for Forestville men?

Reply #326309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey is not going anywhere who comes up with this crap,and the bearcats will rock this city in the ABL.

Reply #326321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central's crashed and burnt.

Reply #326326 | Report this post

Yeh lions ladies lost by 3 , hardly a crash and burn. Played their hearts out.

Reply #326327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals losing by 3 is a huge effort. I honestly thought they were going to get smashed. Checked live stats and look like they led for most of the game and then lost it in the last 2 minutes. How devastating for them but wow, that is a season they should all be proud of.

What an unbelievable effort.

Reply #326328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like next week we have

Women

Norwood v West
Sturt V Forestville

Men

Norwood v Forestville
Sturt V West

so a Mars & Pas double header weekend

Reply #326330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crashed & Burned - no idea obviously not at the game Awesome effort by Centrals some unlucky calls impacted on game.

Reply #326331 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Great game by Centrals women tonight. Leading by 8 with about 7 minutes to go and then the Eagles stepped up and took control to win by 3. One of the best last quarters of ABL Womens I have seen all year. The Lions should be very proud of their performance tonight. An honourable mention must also go to the Paddlepop Lion and the Central's guys in blue body paint.

Was followed by a very physical and incident packed men's game. Eagles led for all but a few seconds and were in full control all game. Ng's shooting was again a highlight for the Sabres whileTucker and Blair were standouts for the Eagles. Jacob Holmes was at his physical and despicable best with elbows flying and earning the wrath of the normally sedate Eagles crowd.

Good night of BBall for all.

Reply #326332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blake Truslove with a massive tip jam!!

Reply #326333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blake Truslove with a massive tip jam!!

Reply #326334 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Lucy, did you say Ng's shooting was the highlight for the Sabres tonight? Ng couldn't shoot anything other than free throws and a few 3's in the dying minutes which didn't amount to much.

Reply #326335 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

You're too harsh EC. Blair certainly hassled Ng out of his groove tonight but it was it was his accuracy after half time kept the scorers busy and gave the Sabres a bit of a sniff in the 3rd. And I wouldn't write off free throws too easily. He was at 100% from the line tonight, including a couple of 3s. Don't have the scoresheet but he surely topped the list tonight. More than serviceable.

Reply #326337 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Lucy, he missed one free shot tonight, not quite 100%.

Reply #326341 | Report this post

MrGrag  
Years ago

Whilst Darren was a large contributor to Sturt's defensive woes, he did have 38 points. Not bad for a first game back after a month or so of illness.

Eagles looked too quick for Sabres tonight. Very well rounded performance.

Reply #326345 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Blake Truslove with consecutive "anonymous" posts!!

Reply #326347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow EC 11/12 foul shots and he missed one please shoot him obviously not good enough

Reply #326348 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon, it was merely a correction made on a statement of shooting 100%. It was wrong and I corrected it. Does not mean to say it wasn't good enough.

Reply #326352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see West smash Rockets by 25 points! Awesome game!

Reply #326355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the problem with West vs North game box scores or web cast??? what was the score

Reply #326356 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Is that Correct- Darren Ng with 38 points?
Hate to see him when he is fully recovered and back in form (you must be a harsh judge)

Reply #326386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else see Jacob offer to help a forestville guy up then when he went to grab his hand jacob pulled his hand away and walk off?? All class Jacob!!!!!!

Reply #326415 | Report this post

Will there be more first year officials umpiring mens games?

What a joke!!!

finals basketball and Mike Gibson wants to develop kid's and thow them in the deep end

It's been happening for years and coninues to get ignored

Reply #326418 | Report this post

abcd  
Years ago

I can see why your frustrated. Really don't think the referees would have changed the result of the match. Eagles definatley outclassed sturt on the day!

Reply #326422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Gibson has nothing to do with referee selection for ABL.

Reply #326423 | Report this post

balance beam  
Years ago

neither is Ian Domekia a first year ref

Reply #326427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob acted like a jerk the whole game, what about the elbow to Doyle's head when just running past him

Reply #326431 | Report this post

abcd  
Years ago

Didn't Jacob receive an unsportsmanlike foul? I thought the refs were all over his bad behaviour. Maybe just frustration, but by far not acceptable by a 6er.

Reply #326446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's technically not a 36er, so off the hook there. Maybe you meant that you expected someone who usually plays at a higher level to keep it clean? I don't know if that necessarily follows - there are players pushing boundaries at every level, right?

Reply #326452 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Frankly the refereeing had zero impact on the final results of the 2 games I saw at Wayville.

However, I do think that in the Mens' game they were a bit out of their depth when Jacob went on his little bender. In the end it was Jacob who put a lid on things rather than the refs actions. Definitely something to be considered in rostering the rest of the finals.

Reply #326478 | Report this post

Northy Reality  
Years ago

Corey will struggle to be able to make the transition to ABL coach, this will put the club behind the eightball!

Can someone stop josh bonds mum from posting on here its pathetic, everytime she does it we lose!

"Cometh the hour cometh the Man - 007 licensed to Shoot"

The hour came and passed with no heroes and we lost!

Wake up to Yourself

Reply #327273 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754