ha ha
Years ago

woodville warriors future.

Are there any plans to try getting woodvile & western together for the upcoming season,the reason i ask is because the warriors girls program is in shambles.This year under 14 girls played only in div 1 not being stronger than westerns div3 side. The under 16 girls were reasonable but only could field a div1 team.The under 18s were non existent,now that's pretty poor,come on both clubs swallow your pride and look to the future-sharing the same stadium and recruitment area is just not going to strengthen any club.United we are strong,but divided we fall!

Topic #26068 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Agreed.

Reply #326375 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would like to see all clubs strong as I believe this is best for the competition.

Reply #326376 | Report this post

ballboy  
Years ago

If you believe this is possible you also believe in pixie dust. Warriors rejected initial Magic offer of an association, despite making the most sense.Association model was pushed by BSA as the way of the future so Magic beat a path to Bearcat's door in good faith. BSA then turn around and withdraw support and funding for that model. A complete 180 degree turn-around. I thought the Gillard Government knew how to do that best?
I agree that a Magic-Woodville association seems the best fit. But it just aint gonna happen.A shame for basketball and the opportunities for western suburbs kids.

Reply #326378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart people make things happen. Let's hope the dead wood was cleared at the AGM and a whole new committee voted in. If not it will be same old, same old.

Reply #326380 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

any update on Woddville AGM?
Any clean-out on the cards?
Coaching update?

Reply #326383 | Report this post

Years ago

yes what happened today @ AGM ?

Reply #326385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballboy,i had no idea that BSA has thrown away support for the Bearcats /Magic association -when did that take place?Wow its really unusual when your own club management leaves players out in the dark.I fully supported the idea with warriors first but since that didn't go on i thought that the west thingy was rather good.Well in that case everybody at stclair get your negotiating skills and manners prepared for some form of an agreement;PLEASE!

Reply #326391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA has removed support fro all domestic competitions as they want to run them themselves.

They would rather take all the money themselves than let clubs run the competitions and improve their own revenue streams.

Looks like they have also now stopped players from effectively moving from Magic to West and back during the season, making it essentially impossible for the agreement to work.

Reply #326393 | Report this post

slugs  
Years ago

agreed... that way Magic can stop winning all the low divs because they have kids playing two divs lower than they are capable of, and sticking woodville in div 1 or 2 when some div 5 teams would beat them

Reply #326420 | Report this post

Years ago

10 years ago - woodville were fielding around 3 teams a junior grade and quite healthy numbers / results (classics, div 1 finals, the odd div 2-3 title) - most grades at least a div 1 and 2 team and usually a div 3-4-5 team as well.

west were about 20% bigger and usually had better results in div 1.

Reply #326425 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Magic should have never been allowed to be formed!

Reply #326437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, but how does that solve the problem of way too many clubs out west now?

Reply #326442 | Report this post

Tin man  
Years ago

A puff of the magic dragon and gone.
magic arent magic its a con job by trickers.
bring back zoning to get equality for each club
clubs out north way are disadvantage by lack of numbers

Reply #326510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard a rumor that the head honchina from magic stepped down from presidency so that something may be agreed upon with warriors.Woodville Magic sounds good to me,but do something about that green color , reminds me of the cheesecake shop too much.Boston Celtics predominantly white strip with borderline green would look great/and would satisfy both clubs.36teams from Woodville+24 from Western= 60 for woodville Magic ,now doesn't that sound great.Lets do something great for basketball in the western suburbs.

Reply #326517 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What about the West thing that happened this year?

Reply #326523 | Report this post

So what happens to the torrens valley , Woodville deal. They could be the Woodville magic cougars. Now that sounds crap.

Reply #326524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cougars players in the newly formed team will still be able to keep their patches on the playing shorts.Just joking,why cant Magic agree to the same deal they had with west-and that is div1/2 play in Warriors outfits but anything lower than that they keep the Magic thing going on.With that they gain an ABL team to support + access to higher divisions.I feel sorry for west as basketball SA have royally done them over.Bye the way i know woodville have recently redesigned the playing strips,but they are still pretty ugly.And if a merger goes ahead the Torrens valley players shouldn't have any hard feelings as magic is a complete club with junior teams of both sexes,not just a group of guys in 6 teams coming over.Even in the corporate world numbers speak!

Reply #326550 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Why should Magic get any deal? What have they done to earn the right to have any of the big clubs change their name logo etc? BSA should basically say that either they get on with running their own club or personally I would wind them up and let West and Woodville get the kids who still want to play. Make the other clubs stronger and the overall competition stronger. Woodville has some holes in their program but their 10s are doing well both in boys and girls. I believe that West were in this situation in the girls a few years back and have recovered so time and hard work should help this.

Reply #326551 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Now with that shitty attitude no wonder Woodville & western will never come to an agreement.Its time to press basketball SA to finish what was started with the bearcats.Woodville isn't Forrestville to act all high & mighty.The Warriors started all this by moving back to stclair so go back to the dome and stop stirring trouble.By the way Western is the representative club of the new stclair suburb and with 5000 people moving in the area soon who will woodville get to represent them maybe the predominantly over 50s populace of the same name area.

Reply #326571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ring lord does mummy know your nappy's full?

Reply #326573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ringlord Western is one of the biggest mistakes BASA made and was allowed into the competition because BASA were broke and needed any income they could get.

A club with no affiliation to the business who has less then half the financial responsibilities of the BSA clubs.

There is no way Woodville or West should have to 'merge' with Western.

Become the social club you claim you are and play at St. Clair Rec centre but leave the real stuff to those clubs paying to keep BSA afloat and whom contribute back to the sport as a whole.

Reply #326576 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Look i am sure admitting Portugal and Greece into the European Union was a mistake to ,but you cant just kick them out.There is no problem that negotiation cant solve.We live in a democracy and let the member clubs have a vote to keep western in the district competition or out.If they vote the latter i will keep my peace forever ,however if voted to stay i think woodville should do as i have promised!

Reply #326577 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

ringlord, so Magic doesn't want to promote itself in the area called 'Woodville'?

Better tell that to the person responsible for erecting that big banner promoting the Magic to juniors I see located on the corner of Port and Woodville Roads at 'Woodville' then.

For someone wanting to lecture others on geography you seem strangely ignorant of the fact that the Woodville area includes the adjacent areas of Woodville North, Woodville South, Woodville Gardens and Woodville West and several other suburbs in between. A huge and diverse area with close to 40,000 people and home to one of the largest migrant population areas in the state. It's a shame that the petty bickering amongst clubs over uniform colours, names and suburb titles is removing any chance of a future Ng or Majok from that area playing club basketball in this State.

Reply #326579 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Ringlord, I would nearly put a million dollars on that it would be 10 - 0 to vote them out. You don't seriously think that the member clubs would vote for you guys to stay?

Reply #326582 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

OK now did the member clubs ever vote to let Magic into district?Now the geography lesson Western and even West stand for exactly that -the western suburbs of Adelaide.Forrestville have been training at Nazareth college for a year now, shouldn't woodville be sending them a protest for encroaching on their recruitment area.Maybe that's why we have contacts there now remember the saying ;an enemy of my enemy is my friend!

Reply #326586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is every chance ring lord types one handed.

Reply #326594 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

ringlord you do realise that the suburb of Forestville is a western suburb too - south west yes, but definitely west.

As for Nazareth College it is a College that is happy to lease its impressive newly sealed basketball stadium to whoever is interested (the gym used to be part of the old UniSA sports science complex) . The SA handball association trains there, the state judo championships were held there, along with many other sporting clubs. I'm sure they would be more than happy to have the Magic train there if they are needing a venue.

What that has to do with your claims about poaching etc is lost on me. If you open your Gregory's you'll see the gym is almost midway between the suburb of Forestville and St Clair.

Reply #326595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No the member clubs did not vote to let Western Magic in the competition.

The then Competitions Manager and GM allowed them in because BASA needed every dollar they could get their hands on.

Reply #326603 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Lucy where did i accuse Forestville of poaching players which is a highly illegal activity by the way.If you don't understand what i meant here it is;Woodville used to train at the dome- to where they might return one day,not because of Magic but simply because it is a better venue.Now the dome is a pidgins fart away from the Nazareth campus,so another club using it as a training venue might not be good for the well being of the particular club.As for who Nazareth let occupy there gym-why would i care,and yes it is a spectacular venue.I myself wouldn't mind Magic utilizing it.Interestingly enough i have yet to meet a Forestville player regarding their club as a western suburbs one.Then again the Rockets started at Brompton maybe they consider to be one to.In that case yes the west of our city has to many clubs.

Reply #326617 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Also thanks for the geography lesson,now i knew that Woodville had a population of around 2000 people and clearly had no idea the surrounding suburbs had another 38000.By the way it is a diverse populace but there lies the problem for our sport.Now one of the largest ethnic groups are the Vietnamese community please tell me how many play basketball,or even soccer for a club i have yet to see this with my eyes.Having many friends from that community i am very well informed on the matter.European Migrants hardly play basketball even if they are from countries where it is strong,most play socially because of the cost.And last are the Anglo-Celtic Aussies who make up the bulk of the players of our sport.if you don't believe me look at the surnames on club photos.needless to say basketball hasn't got much to do with the growing populace of the suburbs mentioned.

Reply #326621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ringlord,

Good to see that you ignore responses explaining about how BASA and not the club allowed you intp the competition. Or how the clubs would probably vote 10 - 0 about getting rid of you if they had the chance.

ps: Poaching is not illegal. If it was you would never have started as a club because a majority of your players came from Woodvile and West under dubious poaching means.

Reply #326627 | Report this post

ringlord

Woodville where kicked out of the dome, didn't leave voluntarily.

Reply #326628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ring lord there are second chance educational opportunities available.......take one.

Reply #326629 | Report this post

juno  
Years ago

#627 - "dubious poaching means" hahahaha

That's one way of looking at it.

Reply #326635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30 years woodville you are wrong.

Woodville with the support of Basketball SA made the decision to leave. My understanding is it was due to higher court hire costs and also the fact they got bumped out any time a bigger event wanted to use the Dome.

Unfortunately Woodville didn't seem to take into account the loss of Canteen income or other income streams they had at the Dome.

Reply #326694 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

No i wasn't ignoring the responses that Magic was not voted in by member clubs,just wanted to see a few answers before commenting.Now i understand where the hostilities come from.Yes it is an unusual situation to be in and yes maybe the bulk of the first players came from clubs close by ,i still cant understand though why would someone from higher divisions go to a club that has no presence there?After gathering all this info i think clubs in the west must sit down and make some kind of agreement,this stalemate is leading nowhere.If nothing can be agreed by the clubs western should be given a chance to go it alone,maybe only playing up to div2 for a long time but what is the alternative if no agreement cant be reached.

Reply #326705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ringlord divisions mean something to some.

To some parents cost is more important. As Magic don't have the financial obligations of Woodville, Magic charged lower fees. Parents like that.

Magic allowed players to play with their mates. Woodville as a District Club made players play in teams based on talent. Some kids just want to play with their mates.

The people who started up Magic did a lot of demonizing of Woodville coaches, committee people and others. Parents will believe things even if not true or unfair.

That's why people left Woodville and some left West.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Reply #326714 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

Woodville had canteen taken away too - dont Spotless or some crowd run it.
What other income streams from the Dome ?
Woodville got nothing out of the Dome.
Just got complaints from others and now Clubs want Dome used.
Go figure.
Magic holds the power of the people and heart of St Clair

Reply #326732 | Report this post

I have nothing to do with any of the clubs out in the western suburbs, but looking at the amount of teams each club has it is a bit of a concern. Looking just at the girls side of it, from U/10's to U/18's (5 grades) this is how each club looks.
West - Div 1 = 4, Div 2 = 4, Div 3/4 = 3
Woodville - Div 1 = 4, Div 2 = 1, Div 3/4 = 1
Western - Div 1 = 0, Div 2 = 1, Div 3/4 = 6.
That means the Western Magic have more girls teams than Woodville without having Div. 1's. In fact Woodville only have more than one team in U/10's, and their U/12 team is in Div 3 (no Div 1 or 2 teams). Woodville would benefit from either a merger with the Western Magic or by having some sort of agreement. The differing fees doesn't really help them either.

Reply #326733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the Dome allow Woodville to run a Canteen at the Dome and make income off the Dome's bookings when they walked out?

Woodville also used to run the Car Park for 36ers games, they no longer do that.

Jesus girls numbers across the board are down. BSA has to take a lot of the blame for that. And yes the answer is to have a deal. Woodville and West as District clubs play in the district competition. Western as a social club play in the St. Clair Domestic Competitions.

Reply #326736 | Report this post

Agree that numbers are down across the board in the girls, was just using it as an example of how Woodville can't fill more than one team per age group. I don't blame the players for going to the Western Magic to play in the same Div that they would have been playing in if they were at Woodville anyway, with the difference in fees at the two clubs it's not a surprise that has happened. BSA need to take some responsibility for this aswell, clubs need to make sure all costs are covered and the only way to do that is to get it in player fees.
The bigger clubs have three times as many teams on the girls side, Forestville - 19, Sturt - 18 & Norwood - 17 compared to Woodvilles 6.

Reply #326739 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

If Magic had to put their lower teams into higher grades to play and then got smacked as they would , would these kids still stay at Magic or look elsewhere to play, I would think elsewhere. I wonder how many Magic parents really know how district works and understand that staying at Magic is actually harming their child's development....

Reply #326740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a case to make regarding socio-econmic areas?

Sturt, Forestville, Norwood. 3 clubs in areas where generally families have more luxury money.

Woodville, West, South, Southern. 4 clubs in areas where generally families are struggling.

Basketball is not a cheap sport to play. Club Fees, Admin Fees, Uniforms, Basketball Shoes, Petrol/Travel costs, Tournaments etc.

I wonder if families in some areas of Adelaide simply can't persue basketball as an option for their children.

Reply #326741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would a strong association make such poor decisions and is it time for BSA to show some balls and fix this mess?

Reply #326742 | Report this post

juno  
Years ago

In the Know, I've always thought most of your posts were absolute rubbish and a fair reflection of your standing in the basketball community (yes I do know who you are), but on this topic you are making a whole lot of sense.

Magic should not have been formed in the first place, and should not be fielding teams in the district competition.

Reply #326745 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

A big problem for the growth of the sport are fees ,but many children i know that want to play don't because of tournaments for example;any in Victoria $1000 min,Whyalla or similar around the $500 mark-now how can a struggling family with 2/3 kids afford that!So much talent around that will never play.I have seen a lot of young players around various city courts that would trump many div 1 teams but when i asked them about playing district at first they were interested,but as soon as cost came up that was it end of story.

Reply #326753 | Report this post

Concerned Parent  
Years ago

The cost of basketball is a lot higher than other sports and basketball is not as girl friendly as netball. Game times are a pain as well. My daughter is moving to U18 next season and she doesn't want to play anymore due to game times. With games STARTING at 945 at Morphett Vale and Starplex, by the time they get home it's after midnight.

It's not a problem when you're 5 minutes away from a stadium, but after a long week at school, fatigue is an issue. My daughter is starting her year 11 next year so a late night Friday night, up early Sunday morning for training, and training mid-week, she has decided to just do her netball.

Reply #326754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the miracle of Magic might start falling apart if they were given access to all divisions + having ABL sides.That wish come true might cause the club to fold because of many factors for example: the fees would go up/availability of coaches for top teams not to mention the joy of financing ABL sides.Woodville have nothing to fear just wait for the demise of the club next door.Magic only had 6 teams in 2005 when it was formed so how did the then BASA profit from that minuscule amount of teams?

Reply #326757 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

BSA have never given magic any favours club has done all on its own.

Reply #326759 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

quote anon -

"Woodville, West, South, Southern. 4 clubs in areas where generally families are struggling. "

Brighton, Hove, Somerton Park, Craigburn Farm, Belair,
Delfin Island, North Haven, West lakes, Tennyson, Grange, Fulham, West Beach, Henley Beach, Woodville Park

and I'll stop there........

last time I checked serious gymnastics trained 4 nights a week.

Reply #326760 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

P.S. I am inferring they are hardly "struggling" areas.

Reply #326762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its fair to infer that the socio economic areas in those mentioned areas is significantly below more affluent suburbs that demographically make up some of the Forestville areas of netting for example.
While middle class Australia can afford the fees, it puts strain on the rest and is again a reason BSA is the imbecilic entity it is.
Better fee structures by clubs, outside training venues utilised, zones that equal out the comp and regenerational change in leadership would move basketball forward.
Until basketball has a multicourt facility like every other major capital, that can host all district div 1 games on one night, basketballwill stagnate. Girls in particular are leaving the sport and believe me where the girls go, boys follow.

Reply #326765 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Not to forget that Port Adelaide is "surrounded" by the sea past Outer Harbour, Sea to the West, the dump and vacant land beyond Torrens Island leading to the areas of Centrals & North, then Magic & Woodville to the South. Unfortunately the huge "redevelopment" of the Port has fizzled so where is the growth area for the Bearcats in the future?

Reply #326766 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Magic do not simply allow mates to play with each other in teams the try outs are exactly the same and grading of players like anywhere else.My children would love that to be true try telling that tale to their friends in other teams-simply not true.And if the players that left to west came back we would have some good competitive teams in higher divisions,of course some mixed results but are you trying to tell me west and woodville are kicking arse in every division dream on.

Reply #326821 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Juno, I am glad you follow my post with such interest and you think you know who I am. Unfortunately for you there is a handfull of people's opinion that I value and yours is not one of them (and I yes I have an idea of who you are).

Reply #326844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Juno - ouch that hurt

Reply #326846 | Report this post

juno  
Years ago

ITK - nice try, but pretty sure you don't know who I am, especially because I've never posted as Juno before this!

Keep posting champ, always good for a laugh!

Reply #326847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bam Juno - back tou you now ITK - this is better than wimbleton

Reply #326852 | Report this post

Green  
Years ago

Other states do not run their elite basketball competitions from a singel venue.

That is just a bold faced lie.

Reply #326859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'bald' and 'single' and the post never said they did but our small town should to remove one cost from district which is the travel.

Reply #326867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does having all Division 1 games in one venue reduce travel?

For some, who live close to the venue sure, but what about those that live in Gawler, Mt. Barker or Morphett Vale.

Not only that but those outer suburban clubs will lose valuable income from Canteens and Bars. Will lose any club culture it currently obtains through "home" nights.

The theory that one massive venue in the inner suburbs will solve the worlds issues is a myth and would do more harm then good.

Reply #326870 | Report this post

Green  
Years ago

"Until basketball has a multicourt facility like every other major capital, that can host all district div 1 games on one night" if this doesnt suggest that other states have a multi court facility for all div 1 games then what does it mean?

Plus, how is basketball going to afford to build a 20 court facility.

That would cost more than $25M.

Just rediculous. Yo might as well say we should add 4 courts onto Pas, Wayville, St, Clair, Hillcrest and Morphettvale. It would produce the same result.

Reply #326872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the conclusion is that the Warriors & Magic must hit out some kind of an agreement or two not so strong clubs will dwell in StClair recreation center for a long time.

Reply #326977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's regrettable that woodville didn't use Hollands departure as a catalyst for change but the reappointing of winter is proof positive that woodville have no one else to blame for their self destruction but themselves.

Reply #327057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a bitter parent is upset he didnt get the gig and winter did...

Reply #327063 | Report this post

vod37  
Years ago

I hardly think so. I'd say it's pretty common knowledge around the place that Winter is well out of her depth at ABA level; in fact some would say the same about her ability to coach under 12 boys. You just need to look at how far backwards the u12 boys have slipped for proof.

Reply #327065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With a team of all first years... She got that team to Classics. What other Woodville teams were at Classics?
Lets see now she will have a full season without Holland what happens....

Reply #327068 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Is karens re-appointment officially confirmed by the club?

Reply #327072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the departure of sir Will Janet Woodvilles girls program is the dumps,so many girls i know are leaving next season and not to another club either.

Reply #327076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully one of the sisters in the aba side is one of those girls...

Reply #327083 | Report this post

vod37  
Years ago

#068 - they are not all first years. She got them to Classics and then proceeded to come last. Against better quality opposition and more knowledgeable coaches, she looked completely lost at times. I'm not knocking her for having a go, but fact is she looks out of her depth.

Reply #327088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Karen appointment is fantastic and that is why I am pleased to be hee senior assistant for the up and comming year.

Reply #327199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karen and myself I believe will make a very good team. I bet your all guessing whom I am. Good you all keep on guessing.

Reply #327200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No post for this... I guess all the people that give a crap who you are have crashed the server

Reply #327201 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Goodbye players.

Reply #327203 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

??????????????? Who's the me coach ay woodville

Reply #327205 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I predict the warriors women pick up 2 or 3 key players hardened vets who compliment their talented juniors and win 6 game or more next season. A team looking forward to the next 3 seasons of progression. So to anon and all the other doubters shove ya negativity up ya loose c....

Reply #327225 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Is that you Nigel?

Reply #327226 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

No loyal woodvulle supporter who is sick of hearing negative comments about my club. I do believe Nigel has taken the role of assisting Karen though.Great to hear he's an excellent addition

Reply #327229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Karen Winter coach at Magic for a few years, How cant Magic and Warriors find some common ground now that she is at the top of the food chain there.As Elvis sang -ITS NOW OR NEVER!

Reply #327559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos secretary of the club?

Reply #328589 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anyone know how trials went?

Reply #328594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754