Mystro
Years ago

Breakers finalise roster

Leon Henry is the final local player signed to the NZ Breakers.

Cedric Jackson*
Cory Webster
CJ Bruton
Leon Henry
Tom Abercrombie
Mika Vukona
Dillion Boucher
Gary Wilkinson*
BJ Anthony
Alex Pledger

Development Bloxham, Prewster, Fotu (non contracted)

Topic #26086 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Still, I can't believe there is no Penney!!

Reply #326546 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers were lucky to have a player of his caliber on their roster fullstop and he got us a championship.
Still a very solid roster with tons of chemistry and talent across the court.
I expect CJ Bruton will step up and take up even more of a leadership role within the team with Henare and Penney gone along with Mika Vukona although Boucher has tons of experience and respect amongst the roster.

Reply #326549 | Report this post

Sharod  
Years ago

Hope that Lindsay Tait can also be signed with an NBL club. He is an asset for Tall Blacks development too.

Reply #326562 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lindsay seems to step up in a black jersey but I agree that he deserves an NBL contract and it isn't like he'd cost a packet.
I'm looking forward to seeing Vukona and Abercrombie get more looks this season and BJ Anthony and Webster getting more court time. Apparently BJ played well in China recently for the Tall Blacks so I hope he can carry that confidence through to the Breakers. Leon Henry isn't a bad signing and he has earned it by training hard with the team all of last season after his temp contract to cover Penney's stint in the NBA along with a great season with Wellington in the NZNBL.

Reply #326564 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

so it is:

Out: Penney, Henare, Braswell
In: Henry, Anthony, Jackson

Not bad, team saves a lot of money here also. Good opportunity to upgrade the contracts on Vukona & co.

Reply #326565 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Going into the season with only three guards is interesting, especially when one of them is ageing, one unproven and one new to the league!

I would have thought Tait would fit better into this line-up, but Henry has certainly put in the hard yards for his spot. Hopefully Lindsay gets his chance somewhere else, though it looks like he might have to wait for another injury replacement spot.

Reply #326569 | Report this post

Sharod  
Years ago

In this case, I think Corey would play some minutes in PG. Also it seems future Tall Blacks lack of pg options. Hope Corey and Josh would develop great.

Reply #326614 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Fair to say the rotation looks like this?

Wilkinson/Pledger
Vukona/Boucher
Abercrombie/Anthony
Bruton/Webster
Jackson/Henry

Bruton starts?

Reply #326662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Henry is more of a small forward and Anthony plays bigger than Boucher, so maybe:

Wilkinson/Pledger
Vukona/Anthony
Abercrombie/Boucher
Bruton/Henry
Jackson/Webster

Or something like this:

Wilkinson/Pledger
Vukona/Anthony
Boucher/Henry
Abercrombie/Webster
Jackson/Bruton

If Anthony has come along quickly, they could start him at PF, play Vukona as SF and have Boucher off the bench. Obviously Bruton wouldn't play minimal minutes behind Jackson, but cover SG while Abercrombie did SG and some SF. My rationale of Boucher in the five is that Lemanis has favoured starting offensively-limited players like Henare and Boucher in the past. I guess with Vukona there, that's less of an issue.

Reply #326666 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Still a very good team.

I'm not sure how much of the load that Bruton can shoulder with Penney's departure.

Reply #326673 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agree LC but I'm hoping they won't rely on one player for the bulk of their scoring this season preferring that guys like Vukona/Abercrombie get more looks and the ball going into Wilkinson inside a bit more.
Leon Henry is a swing man much like Abercrombie minus the leaping ability but he can rebound, defend and shoot the 3ball.

Reply #326677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754