KB3
Years ago

Do the 36ers now have the best bench in the L?

With the addition of Helliwell do the 36ers now boast the best bench in the comp?

Crosswell, Ng, Creek, J Will and Helliwell are an imposing 5

Maybe Melbourne could argue but i cant see anyone else being as deep or as flexible in line up modes

Topic #26097 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

no

Reply #326717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nope

Reply #326718 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's pretty good, though I would expect Williamson to start, this guy can play.

Reply #326719 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

fine to say no, who is better and why then?

Reply #326722 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On paper they might rank well I guess. Perth's would be pretty well drilled in reality though. Melbourne maybe. Certainly not a weak bench though.

Reply #326723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would an import be on the bench?????????????

Reply #326728 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

For the same reason other imports around the league come off the bench because there is better players on (e.g. Ballinger) or players that deserve to start for their futures sake (e.g. Weigh)

Reply #326730 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Perth: Trueman, Hire, Tovey, Williamson, Robbins
Maybe not so much at the 4,5 end but the 1,2,3 could be starters on any given night.
Not as familiar with NZ but would say their bench would be pretty decent too.
And Melbourne look pretty deep on paper.

Adelaide have decent back ups but I'm not sure that any of the bench players will be pushing themselves into the starting 5.. pending injury or "3 year plan" tactics

Reply #326735 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Probably a bit early for the title odds?

Reply #326738 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

why would an import be on the bench?????????????
First year following the league?

Reply #326743 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

On paper, it's a deep bench. At Game-Time, I'll wait for the Pre-season games to comment.

I'd rate Perth as the deepest simply because it's a bench that tried and true. And it's been together for a few years.

On paper, I rate the Sixers lineup as being a finals contender simply on combination of players and "potential" stats. The same can be said for Melbourne this year.

But the proof is in the pudding as they say. I said the same thing about the 2006 Sixers team after watching Pre-season; boy was I wrong.

Reply #326746 | Report this post

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

Bench looks good with the names mentioned....

But what i want to know is how good on the defensive end are we going to be? All these names mean bugger all if we cant improve our defensive and get stops.

Over the last 3 seasons it has been terrible to say the least, so it can only improve..... But i guess that comes down to execution, effort and direction from Marty.

I hate to say it but i dont care if we win ugly. DEFENSE wins championships and we all wanna win a fukn championship!

Reply #326755 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

In Big Marty I trust in the other Marty the jury still out as is this team but looks good and deep which should suit Marty style .
Re our defence it will be better but how much better time will be the answer or how good the pudding tastes

Reply #326756 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

I Dont buy the Perth bench being better.
You cant play 5 on 3.

Perth have Hire and Trueman in the bench lineup. Both of which would be handled easily by their 36er contemporaries

Reply #326764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best bench in the league... no way

Reply #326774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the imports we have selected this season are the type to come off the bench, then thats all she wrote! They will have to have some serious talent for the 6ers to compete especially on the road. I have zero faith in Marty Clarke, but dont get me wrong, im open to be converted. I cant stand Helliwell, but that goes back to his Bullets days, but if Marty gets wins, im happy with everything he has changed up.

Reply #326778 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Last two title winners had imports coming off the bench. Don't get your panties in a knot just yet.

Reply #326781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bench might look good but the starters don't exactly strike fear into an opposition camp

Johnson - improving but couldn't guard a bar stool
Ballinger - 3 years past his best and now with a potentially chronic ankle issue
Weigh - good young player who should continue to develop very well
Herbert-hardly a star and coming back from a season on the sidelines
Warren - untried import, let's hope he is a sensation

With that starting lineup you'd hope the bench is awesome!!!

Reply #326782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yer i have to agree with the heliwell comment by annoy 2 spots above... but marty will be ok give him time the guy can coach.. unlike some other coaches in the league e.g. moose, who may be a good manager of men but as far as offensive structure and defensive rules hasnt got the ability to coach at that level. but hey all coaches are different but often nbl coaches are ex players who are good talkers & were decent on the court... often doesnt work out e.g. scott fisher, cal bruton & so on give marty a chance he did juniors for a long time & has contributed alot to bball... dont know if this team will get it done, look for them to show promise early in the year & die in the end i.e. last season. brett maher/ mark watkins/ or joyce to be coach of sixers after a poor season under clarke (though i dont think it will be his fault necessarily)

Reply #326791 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Johnson - improving but couldn't guard a bar stool"

That's a good one, do you mind if I use that?

Reply #326803 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Its a pretty reasonable bench on paper to me, so whether its the deepest or not im not sure but im happy with it.

The real question for me is which big combination starts, Clark doesnt appear to be a fan of Johnson and Ballinger for big minutes, and most on here dont like Ballinger at C, so does he start say Helliwell and Ballinger or Johnson and Williamson? Id like to see the Johnson and Williamson combo, assuming Johnson keeps up his late season form and Williamson is a decent import.

Reply #326806 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Blaze have the best bench.
They have Worthington, Petrie, Hoare and Garlepp in the big spots.
Then you have English, other import, Goulding, Gibson, Harvey and Cadee.
Whoever ends up being the starting 5, they have more left over than we have on our bench.

Reply #326811 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

This season wil see most teams go into the season with un tried imports & mostley new personal, due to that reason my bet for final standings is

Tigers
Wildcats
NZ
Blaze
36ers
Crocs
Kings
Hawks
Taipans

Reply #326818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

judgments are obviously made on very early conjecture and previous form. which is totally fair enough and frankly a good bit of fun. but it is yet to be seen who has improved in the offseason.

i believe trueman and hire may play bigger role for the cats than many are anticipating and shock some with their development.

if so perth have a good case for best bench. balanced and comfortable in their roles, well coached and drilled.

Reply #326820 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers bench is made up entirely of NZ Tall Blacks.

Alex Pledger
BJ Anthony
Dillon Boucher
Leon Henry
Cory Webster

*Development Players

*Josh Bloxham (Jnr Tallblacks).
*Dion Prewster (Jnr Tallblacks, Iowa State University although I believe there were some issues getting him eligible to play there even though he was born in California).
*Isaac Fotu (Tallblacks).

Reply #326836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember when we talk about a bench at nbl level you are talknig about about 1 guy to be the six man, extra starter, 2 guys to be big role players, & 2 guys to warm the bench and play minutes wwhen needed. i dont know whether a completely balanced line up i.e. 36ers works at senior level... guys wana play minutes not share u need to give players time & rotate your bench through.. being the most balanced team yer the sixers have probably got it... as for the best bench & title contendors... no way soz,

Reply #326887 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say the opposite, successful NBL (and most successful team in Europe) in recent times have had a deep bench. It's hard to play with the intensity needed for a whole game if you only have 7 or 8 guys.

Reply #326894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NZ in the finals played Braswell, Bruton, Boucher and Pledger off the bench. Probably spot minutes for Anthony too. Perth do it as well, as do Wollongong. Marty gets ripped for playing 9-10 deep whereas every club has been doing the same thing.

Reply #326895 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tell me now , am I wrong in thinking
Goorjian played 10 deep.
Rolled them over to find those playing best
at that game for the most minutes.

Reply #326904 | Report this post

j23  
Years ago

stop bagging the 6ers all you haters

Reply #326912 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

Wait til preseason is done then we have an idea on the bench strength of each team and also the imports.it will be interesting if williamson will start as a 3 man or a 4 man.

Reply #326960 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I'm a Holmes fan, so am a little dissapointed he's not there , but the lack of height has been addressed and I can't wait for the season to start.

Reply #327100 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Eat it haters! We will be a force this season! You heard it here first!

Reply #327190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is suggesting that another team might have a better bench make me a hater ?

the comment regarding balance is spot on. even the teams mentioned as being deep and having guys play a lot of minutes still had guys with defined roles.also bear in mind it is a 40 minute game now, not as many minutes for the cabbages these days !

Reply #327216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754