Anonymous
Years ago

Next NBL coach? Does M Watkins deserve another go?

Next season i see there as usual being one or two atleast nbl coaching gigs up for grabs...
Possibly (just guessing) Sydney Kings, 36ers & maybe a new team either newcastle or brisbane likely...
Anyway i was just wondering if anyone had any opinion on who is likely to get the next nbl coaching gig, who desevers it..?

i think mark watkins is one guy who desrvers another go... got a rough deal at the Razorbacks as headcoach geting axed from a dying club tryin to increase popularity by signing sir cal bruton (big mistake). hes had i think 12/13 years nbl coaching expereince as a a/c & h/c... recently he has gone back to back with the nsw metro u/18 boys winning gold & likely will next year as well (short priced favourites)
of course this is just my opinion and means nothing..

others guys i would think are in line are guy molloy, brendan joyce, al westover along with some newcomers like damien cotter or paul goris... just wondering what everyone thinks & if there are any other names out there that are close to getting a gig from what you have heard, or just what u think

Topic #26101 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

no

Reply #326795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goriss is miles off and may never get there! He's a great guy and developer of younger kids. Would almost be ready to take on an assistant nbl role though...

Watkins yea he'd be good. Might not want to though as he's got a very secure job now, that pays well, and he's delivering great results in it....

Reply #326796 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Bris will likely be decided by a board and poss who ever the owner or owners end up being when they have all the rest in place so really premature question for them.
Can't say I heard good things about Moose from players but then I don't play under him so I can't say but going off that Sydney might have a change in coach soon yeah.

Reply #326797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moose is out of his depth as a coach

Realistically he was cheap & a good friend of bob turner who is a good leader.. he did ok last year in a job that any coach would have struggled. but this year they dont all all that much better as a squad & with connor henry leaving i dont know where the xs & os are comming from.

look for a change next year

btw i dont think watkins would be on that much money as the nitp coach guessing (only guessing) 50k with travel expenses

Reply #326799 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why did Turner really go?

Reply #326801 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

If a Newcastle team comes in you would think Shaun Dennis would be favorite

Reply #326814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO as NBL H/Cs:

Mark Watkins - No, likely A/C to Newcastle or Sydney gig;

Guy Molloy - Will be considered if a team is chasing a proven entity;

Brendan Joyce - Another that will be considered, but his nepotism will be a seagull around his neck;

Al Westover - why would he when he's (finally) earning serious coin;

Damien Cotter or Paul Gorris, both proven international coaches at Junior level like Molloy, who a club like Brisbane may take on due to their lower cost and current networks;

Shaun Dennis - Yes at Newcastle, will stay as A/C at Perth if nothing materialises in the Hunter.

I think this exercise says that whilst there is a small pool of poetntial coaches, the quality is there and in all situations management will be faced with the expereinced versus potential, cost versus return and reputation questions.

Not an easy exercise, and hopefullly Adelaide can show some patience and faith in a very good coach like Clarke.

Reply #326827 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Guys like Anstey, D Mac and CJ Bruton will come into contention if interested you would imagine, possibly Dillon Boucher. Certainly D Mac and CJ have shown their intentions.

Reply #326831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goriss is 10 times the coach that Watkins is. To say otherwise means u clearly haven't been coached by either of them.

Reply #326838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon pls fill us all in on why gorris is the better coach? if u have played/trained under both of them explain your reasoning, i would be interested to know. Remeber we are talking nbl, not ais or aus junior team... nbl and gorris is novice at that level

Reply #326842 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mick Downer will be in line very shortly! Great X's & O's coach and communicates extremely well. Assistant Coach under Connor Henry, Aaron Fearne & Bruce Palmer, while this year given the Head Coach of the Aussie Uni Games team. Watch this space!

Reply #326850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yer good call on Downer, i think once ppl realise Fearn isnt that good he will get the cairns gig.

Reply #326883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as for the newcastle gig (if they get up under tinklers bid) i dont think shaun dennis is the guy for the job, though wouldnt mind him in the role.

i think tim mallon, local to the area, highly underated coach, has coached at all levels including ais, aus junior teams, nbl a/c, state team coach and ABA teams in Newcastle & Maitland. the guys passion for the region & understanding of the game along with links & networking ability with hardworking committed players with the right m'gment around would allow him to create a team that the hunter & newcastle area could get behind & be successful for a sustained period.

other coaches newcastle should look at are Mark Watkins or Damien Cotter.

i would be sadddened if say bris or newy come back and they put an ex player (with lttle or no coaching expereince) in the role it just doesnt work

Reply #326884 | Report this post

Tool  
Years ago

Cotter rips Watkins

Reply #326893 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bad call on Fearne. Very smart coach fundementally and knows how to put a team together. Prepares and lives the coaching game better than any other NBL coach I know. I would suggest Downer has learnt a lot from him.

Reply #326909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok lets see how fearn goes this year after most of his talent left

Reply #326910 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fearne has gone 31-31 in two years without a great deal of talent either year. He is doing pretty well results wise so far.

Reply #326922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally hate it when teams hire coaches based on their playing careers, and that goes for every sport. If you want to coach, start as assistant for a junior team. Just because you could play doesn't mean you can coach.
Agreed that the Sydney (regardless) and Adelaide (depending on this year) jobs will be open after this year. I'd love to see Al Westover back in the NBL but as mentioned he's on big money in Japan so I don't know if it'd be possible to get him back, though he would want to be closer to family so it's worth a try. I can see him at Sydney next year. Bruce Palmer, another one coaching Japan, would be a great appointment also. Knows the game and gets a lot out of his players.
I can see people getting excited about 'up and coming' players, but I prefer a coach that has been there before and has a couple of championships

Reply #326925 | Report this post

Taipans are go!  
Years ago

Downer??!! Hell yes he'll make a great Head Coach !! Please please please will another team remove him from my city. He leaves Cairns for the better, and promptly takes the other to the bottom of ladder.
It's a win-win!!

Reply #327098 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Bring back Mark (and Marcus) Wright.

Reply #327186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your into fights wright would be a good choice

Reply #327204 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Watkins is better than Clarke and Robilliard.
If l was an owner l am not going to ever hire a junior coaches like Cotter or Molloy etc, Molloy couldnt get it done in Cairns. He had the same problems as Clarke as a bit of a control freak and players like Mee and others struggled to play well under him.
Sean Dennis, Guy Molloy and Watkins struggled when they were head coaches of men in the NBL.
If l want to win now, l am going hire a proven winner and developer of players that gets players and teams to over achieve.
Its not a tough decision. I am then hiring a Goorjian, Joyce or even Stacker. Not Westover as he doesnt put the time in to develop anyone

John

Reply #327905 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Are there any coaches in state leagues who have a proven record coaching men? Maybe there are 1 or 2 who could step up who know how to manage Men?

Molloy and Cotter have both been successful in SEABL. Anthony Stewart has had success in Hobart. Darren Perry did a good job this year at Dandenong. Ben Harvey has had two great seasons at Bendigo.

Reply #327916 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman?

Coaching men in NZNBL, great experience under Gaze as a player and these days assistant at Breakers. He should be looked at.

Reply #328196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754