LC
Years ago

World Uni Games: The Aussie Men's Results

The Australian men's team at the World Uni Games are doing really well against quality opposition., beating the previously undefeated Canadian team in a nail biter to keep their finals hopes alive.

This is how they have gone to date:

Game 1: lost to Serbia 67-72 (Iliadis 14, Steindl 11) BA Recap

Game 2: defeated Hong Kong 103-51 (Dowdell 19, Broekhoff 19) BA Recap

Game 3: defeated Canada 63-61 (Gliddon 19, Steindl 9, Broekhoff 9) BA Recap
Game 4: vs Turkey (Today)

Topic #26106 | Report this topic

Years ago

and abby bishop shot 25 pts 9 rbds vrs czhec republic

Reply #326916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i beleive they needed to beat Canada by 5 or more to make it through to the final 8.

Reply #326929 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They lost to Turkey 82-74, Broekhoff and Iliadis with 16p, Maynard with 14p and 9r, Dowdell with 9p and 11r.

Reply #326934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any players that anyone thinks will go on for a nbl career or further?
Steindl has been disappointing considering he was in the Boomers team that played in Perth a few months back..

Reply #326944 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Broekhoff and Maynard will definitely play NBL and go very well. Salecich reportedly had some interest this year and Dowdell would have to be around the mark as a backup PF. Hodgson is a big man with a heap of potential, Gliddon had a solid tournament and has good size for a swingman, and Daly showed a little bit for Adelaide last year. Obviously Gynes is with Sydney too.

Given we are likely to have 2-3 extra NBL teams soon, the chances for a lot of these guys will definitely increase.

Reply #326952 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I really rate Broekhoff - extremely athletic swing man that can do it all. I would argue he has the athletic ability to take his game to where he wants to as long as he works hard at it.

Iliadis is a flat out scorer and can fill it up fast, and is great from long range.

Steindl is a great spot up shooter but relies on others or the offensive set up to get his open looks. Steindl can play excellent lock down defense though too.

Maynard could end up being a starter in the NBL given time and Dowdell will be a great backup forward in the NBL providing around 15-20min per game.

I'm yet undecided on where Hodgson will end up, whilst I think Brandt could be a good back up big in the NBL one day.

I dont know enough about Gliddon to comment.

Reply #326954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crossover game today in the 9-16 playoffs again czech republic.

Reply #327179 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Hodgson is a great addition for Saint Mary's for the 2012/2013 season

Reply #327189 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Australia got convincingly beaten by the Czexch Republic today, 78-69 after being 20 down late in the last. Broekhoff was again good with 14p, 6r, 3s and 7fd, Gliddon 12p and 3s, Stiendly 11p, Maynard 10p, 4r and 3a, Daly with 6p, 3a and 0to in 19mins.

Reply #327193 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Reply #327247 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This group is one of the better Uni games team we have put together over recent times and they have fallen just short of being able to make a run at the top 8. Just a shame really.

And yes, Hodgson is a great pick up for SMC and one would think he may end up slotting straight into the starting 5 at centre - a hole they have had since Samham departed. It's not inconceivable that the SMC starting lineu, if not the 5 down the stretch, could look like this at various stages this coming season:

Delly
Page
Steindl
Young
Hodgson

Reply #327251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And SMC Head Coach Randy Bennett has signed a 10-year contract extension!

Reply #327255 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Unfortunately Hodgson has to redshit for a year at the Gaels so Steindl will be gone since I believe it is his senior year this year.

But a front court containing Young and Hodgson plus others is impressive.

Reply #327283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

redshit lol

Reply #327286 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If he is forced to redshirt, then that will definitely happen.

Reply #327303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The final for uni games is Canada v Serbia, who were both in Australias pool! Made it tough for Aus to get though to the top 8 with two teams of that quality, even though Aus managed to beat Canada. Playing Isreal today in the 13-16 bracket.

Reply #327322 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Lost to Isreal by 5 in OT. Dowdell had a gamehigh 23 points plus 10 boards in a dominant game, Gliddon had 17 in a team high 31 mins and Maynard had 16 points. Play final game tomorrow against Mexico for a disappointing 15th position if they win

Reply #327354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat Mexico to finish 15th..
Score averages for the tournament were as follows (some players missed games due to injury or DNP's)
Broekhoff - 11.5ppg
Gliddon - 10.5
Dowdell - 10.2
Maynard - 8.5
Steindl - 7.5
Illiadis - 7.2
Hodgson - 4.7
Brandt - 4.1
Gynes - 4.0
Smith - 3.8
Daly - 3.5
Salicich - 1.7

Reply #327441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754