paul
Years ago

Boomers v Serbia

Another good win for the Boomers, 78-69, sneaking out to a lead with 3minutes to go thanks to two big Brad Newley triples and then holding their nerve down the stretch to close it out easily.

Newley (14p, 5/6, 3/3 triples and 4r) and Ingles (17p, 6/19, 6r and 4a) were the stars, while Matt Nielsen (10p, 5/9 and 5r) and Matt Dellavedova (12p, 5/11, 4r, 3a and 3to). AJ Ogilvy struggled offensively (4p on 2/7) but finished the game out with the above four, pulling in 10r and making some plays late including a big steal to set up an Ingles three point play to put it out of reach.

Crawford, Kickert and Gibson didnt play. Baynes and Martin had limited minutes.

Topic #26121 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

On the perimeter the rotation was mostly Mills/Dellavedova PG, Ingles/Martin SG, Newley/Barlow SF, inside it was mostly Nielsen/Worthington PF and Ogilvy/Maric C with Baynes slotting in for his 8mins at both.

One ongoing issue was the perimeter shooting, Newley and Ingles were 4/4 between them (great sign with Newley back hitting shots), but the rest of the team was 2/14 - Mills 1/4, Barlow 0/3, Dellavedova 0/3, Wortho 1/2, Martin 0/1. We won the boards 41-37 and turnovers were 13-12.

Reply #327245 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Another encouraging sign for the Boomers ahead of the Oceania series against NZ.

Some great results against top Euro opponents.

Reply #327248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles 6/10

Reply #327253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach has found some chemistry and got the win. Beating this Boomers team is going to be a big ask for the Tallblacks but they won't be shy to take up the challenge.

Reply #327254 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wish I'd been able to watch these games. Its good to see Newley return to form for the Boomers.

Dellavedova has really stepped up and you would think has not only secured his spot on the team to play NZ, but has earned a spot in the rotation.

Mills turnovers are a bit of a concern. It may be lack of familiarity with his team mates and Brown's system, but I'd like to see him bring the turnovers down over the next couple of games.

Martin didn't get as many minutes in London as I would have liked either. I think he could be a very handy alternative to Mills when we need more defence and a steadier hand at the point, but its hard to tell when he didn't seem to get a lot minutes against quality Euro opposition.

Good to see Ogilvy put up 10 rebounds in this game aqgainst a very good player in Krstic. Perhaps he might now have edged Maric out of the starting spot?

You'd have to think Gibson will be one of the two that will miss out now, after the emergence of Dellavedova. Surely Kickert will be the other one to miss out, given his lack of minutes and Brown's preference for Nielsen and Wortho at PF?

Reply #327262 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Another nice stat - the Boomers as a team are leading the tournament with 17 assists per game. That's good to see IMO, because for years we have had a pretty ugly offence and this suggests we are moving the ball pretty well. Dellavedova has had a good impact here, leading the team with 15 assists for the tournament.

Reply #327269 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

After Teodosic burned us at the WC's, looks like Brown learned the lesson. Holding one of the best PG's in Europe to 4pts on 1/13 shooting and forcing him into 3 TO's is a commendable effort and is probably what won us the game.

But he still got 11 assists...

Reply #327275 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah Beantown, looks like Brown went away from last years WC's and figured out a way to get more ball movement and player movement (cutting, screening) in the offence.

I like Brown as a defensive coach--Last years WC's Boomers were 4th best in terms of Defensive PPG. However, at last years WC's the offense was extremely stagnant and the Boomers only averaged 73ppg.

As a TB fan, im worried because it looks as though the Boomers have resolved some of their offensive issues .They have always been a tremendous defensive outfit.

Reply #327276 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

AB4EVA, I was thinking the same. Teodosic is a very good player who we completely failed to control at the Worlds. Looks like he was still having an impact, but his shooting was woeful last night. Wish I could have seen the game to know how much of it could be put down to our defence!

Reply #327279 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

The sign of a good PG. Very Bad game, still has 11 assists.

Reply #327334 | Report this post

Haven't seen the games, but by checking the stats it looks like a few decisions are starting to be made by Brown.

Delly looks like he has moved up the pecking order based on his minutes and performance. Apears to be now ahead of Martin in the rotation.

Gibson as a result is on the outer and could very well miss out. I am happy with that as I just don't see Gibson as an international player and don't think there is much improvement in him. Delly has more size, has already put up some decent performances and I would expect still has a fair upside to his game.

Newley, Ingles and Barlow are locks. Personaly I am not a Barlow fan and apart from his size and athleticism he mostly just dissapoints me performance wise. I pretty much think he survives because of a lack of other options as the back up 3 man. Maybe the reason I dislike him is that I cringe every time I watch his short arm jab of a shot release.

As for the bigs Maric, Ogilvy, Neilsen and Wortho are also certainties. The last spot is going to go to a player who wont add much as it is down to Kickert or Baynes. Would prefer if neither was anywhere around the team and dont think bringing back Nevill or Schenscher would add anything to what we have. Brown has shown that he is not prepared to explore other options and we really lack a perimiter oriented 4/5 man. Have mentioned a few times that Larry Davidson would add a completely different type of big and needed to be looked at. But I guess we might as well take Baynes and use him to clobber someone if needed.

All in all pretty happy with the performances so far.

Reply #327339 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Barlow is the Australian version of the Shawn Marion (although does have a better shot) does lots of things well, when his shot is falling he is almost impossible to guard.

Reply #327365 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like Barlow too, very underrated, always seem to contribute more than his stats show. I like Gibson too, but the truth is we have good depth so one good guard (Gibbo, Martin, Delly or PC most likely for mine) is going to miss out.

Reply #327384 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754