Anonymous
Years ago

NBA All Stars considering a Tour In Australia

Straight from the Herlad Sun-:

SOME of the NBA's biggest names could be headed to Australia under a plan to take advantage of the likely NBA season lockout.
NBA players - including Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose and Pau Gasol - are among an All-Star team that is willing to play a tour of Australia.

It's understood the plan includes three All-Star matches at Rod Laver Arena later this year.

At least two sponsors have committed to back the tour and insurance issues - tipped to cost more than $1 million for the star-laden team.

The NBA season traditionally starts at the end of October.

But the players' pay dispute with the NBA, which created the lockout, shows no sign of resolution.

It has spawned a rare window for the proposed tour by some leading lights.

Topic #26123 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

This would be awesome for Australian basketball. I really hope some Aussie entrepreneurs with deep pockets can make this happen. Would love to see them play a three game series against the Boomers, hopefully with Bogut in the mix.

Reply #327280 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How are they getting insurance for this etc etc is it a pipe dream that will fizzle like them playing in China or could it be legit

Reply #327284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how will this possibly only cost 1mil?

Reply #327289 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I WOULD BE THERE IN A HEARTBEAT

Reply #327296 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I read this in the paper today - how good would this tour be? I would definitely buy tickets for this!

It would only possibly be 'around' $1m I suspect as they would only be playing a few games rather than whole season for instance.

Love to see this get up. I'm there and I know a whole lot of others who would join me for the game in Melbourne. I would also travel to Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth for this one!

Reply #327302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would also be there in a heartbeat. only costs 50 to fly to melb from adelaide anyway. would be insane if this got off the ground. some rich dudes made it happen in Manila, hoping like hell someone makes it happen here. A sold out Rod Laver crowd watching basketball like the golden ol days, WOULD BE INSANE!

Reply #327308 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Count me in ... book me up.. done

Reply #327311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd consider watching it on TV but that's about it. NBA all-star games aren't even worth bothering with these days and this would threaten to be a poor man's version of one of those.

Reply #327315 | Report this post

rw  
Years ago

I would much rather us fined a players for each team that get to play one home game. Imagine if each team could get one player to play one home game. The excitement that would build and the anticipation of watching them play to win. As opposed to watching them play to fool around with no defence.

Reply #327337 | Report this post

rw  
Years ago

wow should have proof read that one first.

*find
**player

Reply #327340 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

wonder if they would play basketball rules or NBA rules?

Reply #327367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fb group promoting and supporting this: https://www.facebook.com/pages/NBA-players-to-play-exhibition-games-in-Australia-in-2011/254331644589761

Reply #327419 | Report this post

bogut  
Years ago

From the official NBA on One HD facebook page:

"One HD is in early negotiations for broadcasting rights of the NBA All-Star tour of Australia.

Please note, at this stage the tour has not been confirmed. Although, we're all very excited of the prospect. Stay tuned for updates.

We love this game!"

Reply #327506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754