Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers vs Great Britain

The Boomers just got over the line with a 91-90 win in OT against Great Britain. Mills didn't play, top scorers were Newley 23, Ingles 16, Gibson 13 and Maric 10.

For GB Luol Deng had a game-high 26 and former Trailblazers 1st round pick Joel Freeland with 22.

Topic #26129 | Report this topic

hurley  
Years ago

surprising that we had a close game with them... but they do have a couple of NBA guys I guess and are definitely an improving team. this should give GB alot of confidence heading into olympics. the hit outs against spain that are comming should be a huge test.

Reply #327361 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

GB also have Detriot Piston Ben Gordon coming into there team for the Olympics, they will win some games, espically against the African nation.

Reply #327362 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A solid win - always good to win the tight ones as the experience in doing so can only make you stronger.

BA Recap

Reply #327366 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Damian Martin 8 rebs in 12 mins - our leading rebounder! So talented

Reply #327374 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Newley has been very impressive. I refuse to believe that it's all just down to his personal form, though. Brown has clearly tweaked the game plan since last year, better utilising Newley, to the team's overall benefit. I only wish I could have watched the games, to see first hand, what the difference has been.

Nice effort from Gibbo. He did everything in his power to get his head off the chopping block. If he is the guard that is cut, he can hold his head high.

How about Martin, though? Eight boards and three dimes in twelve minutes! If only he could shoot...

Reply #327376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great to see Newley hitting triples again, makes us so much of a different team. Excellent performance from Martin and Gibson too. Martin needs more minutes.

Dont forget, GB ran Serbia and Crotia close with Deng, so they are not a bad team who were playing at home. Practice winning a tight game in front of an involved crowd cant hurt. Another small but positive step, will be interesting to see how they approach the Spain games minutes-wise.

Reply #327382 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Speaking of GB Basketball..I honestly think sometime in the near future they are going to blow up.
Im talking top 5 in the World. It may be 15-20 years away. But the game of Basketball in GB is gaining alot of popularity (Funnily enough, the rain-soaked climate of England means indoor sports are becoming increasingly popular).

NB: GB has a population of 60mil. 3 times that of Oz.

Reply #327448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China has a population of 1.3 billion, more than four times the US.

Reply #327474 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The United States has a stronger tradition of basketball. In China, it is only recently gaining popularity.

Reply #327487 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

When will the West Indies put a team together, they'll be world beaters.

Reply #327492 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think anon was making that point tongue in cheek Isaac re GB.

Reply #327498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More importantly to basketball in Australia is what impact another poor result on the world stage for our men's team will have on government funding to the sport. We have already seen what happens in other sports where results are not forthcoming. Let's hope the girls play better

Reply #327499 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754