Jack Toft
Years ago

Winter Season Finals

Just had a quick look at the Div 1 table to see if there is likely to be any crunch games this Friday night. Looks like the tables are pretty set for most grades:
Div 1
U12B: Mavs; Sturt; Forestville; Centrals
U14B: Sturt; Tigers; Norwood; West
U16B: Sturt; West; Forestville; Norwood (Tigers sneak in if Nwd lose)
U18B: West; Norwood; Tigers; Sturt (Eagles sneak in if Sturt lose to South)
U12G: Forestville; Sturt; West; Tigers
U14G: Forestville; Mavs; Sturt; North
U16G: Mavs; Sturt; West; Forestville (North sneak in if West or Eagles lose?)
U18G: Norwood; Tigers; Sturt; Forestville

Well done to all teams who have made finals. Sturt are 8/8, Forestville 6, West 5, Tigers 4, Norwood 4, Mavs 3, North 1, Centrals 1

Topic #26144 | Report this topic

callisto  
Years ago

All 10 clubs represented apart from South and Woodville.

Woodville 12 boys were runner-up at State Champs but have missed the finals. Likewise Norwood 16 Girls.

Reply #327634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When looking at this to compare Clubs performance I would like to see Under 10's and 23's included as you are then taking into the full range of teams Clubs manage.

What would the Club numbers look like than? Would the strong widen the gap or do some of the smaller Clubs make up ground in these forgotten age groups?

Any thoughts?

Reply #327635 | Report this post

Years ago

and of course we will get our stats room analysis once this rounds results are confirmed .......

Reply #327637 | Report this post

;-)  
Years ago

forestvilles under 18 boys blew their shot at playoffs last week, no way sturt will lose to south

Reply #327640 | Report this post

Dirty  
Years ago

Sturt would be 12/12.

And 14/14 including ABA teams.

Reply #327644 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And straight set exits for both Sturt league teams Dirty. The vicarious life of a Sturt parent.

Reply #327649 | Report this post

Dirty  
Years ago

Anyone else 14/14?

Reply #327656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

enjoy it while it lasts dirty, three of your junior teams were beaten by southern last week, 18 boys are lucky to be in the finals and your 16 girls got the fright of their lives too, what goes up must come down.

Reply #327668 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Ohh Anon, We have been hearing things are up at Southern for how long and nothing ever happens. Firstly 14 boys had one state player not there and their best player went down in the 3rd. We will see what they do to you in the finals... 18 Girls were missing their best kid and 2 others and we all know Boti's record in finals where games actually count.. and 18 boys I will give you but to say they are lucky is just a silly comment. 16 Girls gave a fright? .... You still lost. What goes up must come down, highly unlikely with the squads coming through.

Reply #327671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturty, clubs don't fall off the face of the earth overnight and clubs don't rise overnight. Normally the best clubs are the ones improving and rising the worse ones are the hihgly placed ones rapidly slipping.

For mine, Westies on the boys are doing an outstanding job. Obvsiously they have superior coaches to get this level of improvement across the board.

Reply #327672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"what goes up must come down" - people have been saying that about Sturt as long as I've been running this forum, as though it's something to scare them. In truth, I think you're just encouraging them.

Reply #327677 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Lol anon #327668,

In the U18 girls Boti has a 20 - 0 record against that team in meaningless games since U12's. I think they like keeping him interested. Last I checked, Sturt won State Champs, when it really matters, we will see what happends in the finals.

In U14 Boys, Sturt were missing 2 of their best 3 kids. And their other kid got injured. Again they won at State champs. We will see come finals again.

Did you know that Southern won Overall Champion Club in 1998.

And anon #327672,

Sturt had their best year to date at State Champs winning all 6 overall trophies. That is an improvement over the last few years. West aren't doing so well. 18 Boys 3rd, 16 Boys 4th, 14 boys 3rd and their 12 Boys didnt win a game at State Champs and haven't all season. And none made top 8 at classics, with the U18's losing to Sturt in the 9/10 playoff. And their U23 team is dead last as well.

Not sure how that computes to being superior.

Reply #327680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really, southern did not win Overall Champion Club in 1998.

Noarlunga City Tigers did.

There is a big difference between the two clubs.

Reply #327684 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

appologies anon, I actually agree with you. I guess old habbits die hard. I suppose that part of their history went out like all the rest.

NCT won and Southern just claim each year to be "on the rise"

Reply #327686 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

Really

Hows this for a Southern fact!

In the most recent Division 1 head to head meetings of Southern with the 9 other district Clubs (Under 10 - 23)which means 12 games. We have only been beaten by one Club Sturt (4 - 8).

By me reckoning that puts us pretty much 2nd in this State and looks like we have already risen!

Reply #327703 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Tiger,

How does that make you the second best club in the state? Your bad teams are awful.

We have a state champs for juniors. And you werent very good there. Both 16 and 18 boys missed out when it mattered.

Anybody canwin a couple of games when it doesn't matter.

We have all heard this from tigers like you for the last 5 years without any real results to back it up when it matters.

Reply #327704 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Tiger has simply proven the old adage that statistics can be used to back up anything.

Southern may or may not be on the rise, but second in the state? Not even close.

Reply #327706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would be why so many "Tigers " players came out to Sturt Trials then.

Reply #327712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is probably coz they weren't guaranteed a game at the Tigers and we all know the big clubs take anyone to boost their revenue based on extraordinary promises

Reply #327717 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

You aren't making much sence there buddy. Sarcasm doesn't work without inflection.

Reply #327721 | Report this post

;  
Years ago

Southern will never ever get the results of Noarlunga. Should never merged with the Southern Scrubbers.

Reply #327722 | Report this post

Jackie C  
Years ago

So tedious

Reply #327723 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

Really

I agree our bad teams are awfull just like any other Club. But I am only talking Division 1 here.

State Championships is a long time ago and can be decided by as much as a bad draw then anything else.

So tell me when a Club plays another Club and puts all of there teams against the other Club in a head to head isn't the result a true reflection of which Club has the stronger program.

Reply #327724 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

No not really,

On any given week teams can be missing players due to reasons other than injury. ie School tips.This can sway meaningless games. Not too many players miss State Champs outside of injuries.

What matters is winning when it counts, at State Champs, or finals. Basketball in a tournament sport. ie Olympics/World/State etc. To win you have to beat everyone. So saying a draw is the difference is a cop out.

Something we have all come to expect from Southern. Win when it matters, or do bother winning at all.

Reply #327728 | Report this post

:-)  
Years ago

Really

You are so full of it

Typical Sturt maggot, be a pleasure spanking sturt in the finals

Reply #327735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice language, Would we not expect anything less from the gutter mouths down South. If you are from Southern, 1 I doubt you will makea Div 1 final and 2 you do not know how to win them. WHat makes you guys so funny is you always talk up yourselves before the finals even start....

Reply #327737 | Report this post

Years ago

Maggot isn't gutter talk

Dont choke on your plum

Reply #327738 | Report this post

tough tiger  
Years ago

anon 737

you're probably some hanger on that sits on the bench aren't you!

will enjoy hearing the excuses when we beat you in the finals.

i am sure they will be coming think and fast.

like my gutter mouth will be telling you where to go on your way out the stadium

Reply #327742 | Report this post

DEIMOS11  
Years ago

I can't wait for Sturt 18 Boys to smash Southern in the first week of finals.

Reply #327745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have got to win tomorrow night yet, don't count your chickens too soon

Reply #327747 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturt have already won it by forfeit! so chickens are counted

Reply #327751 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

cluck, cluck!!

Reply #327752 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

We all know Div 1 is the one the JDOs talk about, but what about Division 2:

While ladder positions in Div 1 are pretty firm, in a couple of grades in Div 2, it's down to the last round.

U12B: Norwood; Forestville; Sturt 1; Sturt 2
U14B: Sturt 2, Norw Blu; South; Norw Red --- Sturt 1, North

Teams 4,5 & 6 are all on same points. North have a home game to Norwood Red at Mars (WTF?) and this will be crucial.

U16B: Sturt 2; Sturt 1; For Gold; For Blue --- Norwood

Teams 4 and 5 on same points. For Blue play Sturt 2 and Norwood play South

U18B: For Gold; Sturt 1; Sturt 2; Norwood
U12G: For Blue; For Gold; West; Sturt
U14G: For Blue; Sturt 2; For Gold; Mavs --- Norwood

Mavs have a tight game against West, Norwood against South

U16G: Nor Red; Sturt 1; For Gold; Tigers --- Sturt 2

Tigers need to beat, or draw, against Centrals, Sturt 2 vs For Blue

U18G: Tigers, Nor Blue; North Red; Sturt 1

Once again, well done to all teams who have made finals.

Reply #327796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just waiting for the sturt nobs now

Reply #327799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only do you have gutter mouths you also can not spell, It's KNOBS!!

Reply #327800 | Report this post

balance beam  
Years ago

nobs is actually I do believe a term for rich people or the well to do maybe you have the gutter mouth believing he/she was calling them knobs.

Reply #327802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nob1
// (say nob)
noun 1. Colloquial the head.
2. Cribbage the knave of the same suit as the card turned up, counting one to the holder.
3. a double-headed coin.
4. Also, nob-end. Colloquial
a. the head of the penis.
b. an annoying, socially rejected person: he sat there by himself, looking like a real nob. [? variant of knob]
Bibliography: The Macquarie Dictionary Online © Macquarie Dictionary Publishers Pty Ltd.

Reply #327806 | Report this post

Sturt nob  
Years ago

Thats 12/15 for Sturt in Div 2.

Can any other club beat that?

Reply #327808 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

Well according to "Really" it is irrelevent unless you win the grade.

So we will have to wait to see if anyone can beat that.

Might not be as easy as you think given Sturt would only be favorites to win in Under 16 & 23 Boys. (Div 1)

Not quiet a super club after all.

Reply #327812 | Report this post

Sturt nob  
Years ago

Tiger,

Saying 12/15 teams in finals for Div 2 isn't like saying that Sturt is the best Div 2 club based purely on those results. (That was decided when we won Reserves Boys, Girls and Overall Club trophies at State Champs)

It is asking if other clubs can match that.

Looking at Jacks post. Southern have 0 boys teams in reserves finals and 2 or maybe 1 girls teams in finals. Hardly the results I would expect from the 2nd best club in the State.

Reply #327814 | Report this post

DEIMOS11  
Years ago

Tiger, Sturt would also be HUGE favourites in 14 Boys. Let's not get ahead of yourself there, champ.

Reply #327818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many sturt v tigers finals are there next week, should be good to watch if the posts on here are to go by, might get out and have a look.

Reply #327819 | Report this post

Sturt nob  
Years ago

Sturt v Tigers Finals would be

Div 1

U14 Boys
U18 Boys

Div 2

None.

Reply #327823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and who are you aligned to sturt nob? 14's or 18's?

Reply #327824 | Report this post

Sturt nob  
Years ago

Both and none. Just Sturt

Reply #327825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hanger on

Reply #327826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems like "arguably" sturt are the 2nd best club in the state "arguably" behind the lions.
really threads get boring as there is way too much sturt syndrome focus mainly from precious sturt people who love the sound of their own voices.

For the benefit of basketball in the state and the future of it - put your energy into development for the whole state and not just in your own bubble. We all understand that Sturt do however have a protected bubble and are very insular.

Reply #327828 | Report this post

;-)  
Years ago

Reply #327829 | Report this post

;-)  
Years ago

Reply #327830 | Report this post

;-)  
Years ago

dont get intimidated by them, give them as good as they give and watch them crumble like cookies.

Reply #327831 | Report this post

Sturt nob  
Years ago

Cause that has been happening. lol.

Reply #327834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did Southern last win a Junior State Championship in either boys or girls?

Reply #327838 | Report this post

Informative  
Years ago

Sturt. Sturt chuck-em in the dirt!

Reply #327839 | Report this post

;-)  
Years ago

under 14 game Sturt crumbled last week when tigers got on a roll, gave up a 15 point lead, were outscored 16-7 in the last quarter of the under 18's and were saved from elimination by forestville choking

Reply #327840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ouch - pop that bubble, you go matey

Reply #327842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the small minded Sturt people on here!

Lets face it, the only reason you have been successful is that you poach players to your club and pay their fees when they arrive! Isn't it Junior basketball??? Likewise with Forestville!

Last week of the month...Time to get the Landcruiser serviced!!!

Reply #327843 | Report this post

Sturt nob  
Years ago

You must go to the Boti school of 'how to win meaningless games'

U14 Boys were without 2 of there best 3 players. 1 sick and 1 on camp.

Their best kid got injured and didn't play.

Reply #327844 | Report this post

;-)  
Years ago

sturt nob

you right the book of excuses or did you read them from Mark Williams???

Reply #327846 | Report this post

;-)  
Years ago

doesnt say much for the club if it relies on one or two players to win games

what were the excuses in under 18's, had the whole team available??

Reply #327847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so does that mean you rely too much on 2- 3 players and don't go very deep? way to develop!!!!

Reply #327848 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Counting my southern deep fried chickens 12345678910 lol

Reply #327850 | Report this post

DEIMOS11  
Years ago

I'd bet my house that Southern won't beat Sturt in the U14 semi final. Whoever introduced the Internet to you Southerners has a lot to answer for. You're just making fools of yourselves and reinforcing the stereotype that others have of you. Lots of talk but no results to back it up when it matters. 14 Boys may well make the grand final, but they won't beat Sturt there either. As for U18, maybe wait until you actually win a game that matters. Sturt will eliminate Southern in the semi final, of that there is nothing surer.

Reply #327851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really shows your lack of basketball knowledge. You take out 2 of the best players out of any team and they will struggle against a team at full strength. I haven't read any excuses about the 18s in fact on another thread I believe everyone has said it was a great game. I can not believe the mentality at Southern now. Boy it has changed sinced the merger. It is a real shame because it has gone from a well respected and proud club to a rabble who come on here and slag off clubs when they get a few un expected wins. RIP Noarlunga and all the tradition that went with it.

Reply #327853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DEIMOS11

there was a few posts on here last week talking the way you are by forestville people saying they were going to make the under 18 finals!!!!

Reply #327856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only slagging off one club 853

Reply #327857 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You southerners certainly suffer from the mentality described below from Wikepedia

"Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in Australia, but also in New Zealand, Canada and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Reply #327858 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

###853.

Consider this:
U18 Sturt girls, 9 players. 8 at SASI and same 8 have at some point represented the State. 7 Top Age and 2 First years. All very good players in a team with depth. They should be capable of stepping up with a few injuries. Sturt so far have lost 5 games.

U18 Tiger Girls. 9 players. Only 1 at Sasi and same one represented the State. 4 Top age and 5 First years. Have probably puched well above their weight and deserve some respect. Tigers so far have only dropped one game this season ( against N'Wood)

Give credit where credit is due.

In all fairness Sturt should, on paper and historically, pretty well dominate, even with one or two players out. Surely one could not suggest that without one particular player (A.S) missing that the team is not capable. (She has clearly been rested with the finals in mind.)

Good luck to every one heading for finals. May the best team win...and win graciously.

Reply #327871 | Report this post

DEIMOS11  
Years ago

..."win graciously"

I'm not sure Southern people know what this means.

Reply #327881 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boy do I wish I had a cent per post... If everyone spent time improving their club and games as much as they do on here arguing about essentially nothing, they'd have more to show for their time. (Says the guy who argues about NBL stuff too much.)

Reply #327884 | Report this post

Years ago

Just had to rush off to the doctors to get a checkup to see if I was suffering from tall poppy syndrome.
Thought my life might have been in danger.
Doc said I was all clear, turns out its a made up syndrome by people that think they are better than everyone else!!

Reply #327885 | Report this post

Years ago

Nothing wrong with a bit of club pride issac

Reply #327887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a certain few clubs spent more time developing juniors rather than poaching juniors than the balance amongst clubs may be different!!!

At what stage do you swallow your ego and remember what and who junior basketball is about???

Just a thought!

Reply #327910 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How did a thread on Winter Season Finals turn into a Sturt Bashing and poaching accussations.... as the sounds of the duelling banjos fades off into the distance of the southern mountains

Reply #327931 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Like always, the Sturt bashing started around the time their chest beating started about finals appearances.

Anyway, doesn't worry me I'll be off to an ABL prelim final tonight at Pasadena. Must be a home final for Sturt. Oops, I forgot. They're a no show in the big league.

Now I understand the focus on the kids....

Reply #327937 | Report this post

informative  
Years ago

Who's on first base??

http://youtu.be/wfmvkO5x6Ng

Reply #327955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt owe Centrals a HUGE favour.

In the Div 2 U16 girls last night, Centrals beat Southern knocking them out of finals and letting Sturt 2 in.

All the Sturt 2 girls were lined up on the baseline barracking for Centrals in the last quarter, which had six timeouts.

Centrals were done to four girls for half that quarter.

Reply #327959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON 327937. A bit harsh,Sturt would still be in finals if Tess Madgen was available.Another testament to their junior development

Reply #327961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New BSA Policy;

No parents are allowed on or near computer technology.

No parents are allowed at team trainings.

No parents are allowed at games.

No parents are allowed to live their sporting dreams through their children.

No parents are allowed to be involved with of their childs club or team.

Every stadium to then play "What a Wonderful World".

Reply #327969 | Report this post

DEIMOS11  
Years ago

Add to that "No Southern people allowed near computers until they actually achieve something"

Reply #327971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon#961 I hope that was a joke!

Reply #327981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpiring at the under 14girls div 2 last night was a disgrace,the refs might as well said lets not play the game and let the mavs win. Since when are you allowed to touch a players face whilst defending and grab them around the waist.

Reply #328018 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

(Mod: Axe to grind, eh?)

Reply #328045 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Not the PPS (pushy parent syndrome) coming into play again!!
From what I see on Hoops regularly is that the coaches who don't have a good team, or make the finals, are under the gun. Here it apears that team which has made finals is under the PPS pressure, --just what a team needs leading into finals.

My mail is that some parents need to sit down and support the coach through the finals period. If not happy at end of season, then think about a change.

Reply #328072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CP3
Classics silver medal, state champs and all from a team that is bloody hard to get all to training. There is a fine line between winning no matter at what cost and rewarding kids who put in the effort.
Therefore the coaches have done a fine effort with a difficult situation and the mind games that are presented to them.

Reply #328123 | Report this post

SP33  
Years ago

(Mod: Axe to grind, eh?)

Reply #328370 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

SP33, maybe the point of JUNIOR competition is not winning at any cost, maybe it is developing future players with good work ethics and commitment to the teams they play for. If you lose the 'not so talented' players who put in the commitment but dont get court time, eventually you dont have a team. remember a team of champions does not make a champion team!

Reply #328457 | Report this post

Dirty  
Years ago

So tiger. How do you like them apples?

Reply #328931 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Wow! That wasn't even close! 24 points...pfft.

Reply #328933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder when Tiger Woodchuck will be showing his head again?

14 Boys lost
18 Boys lost
18 Girls lost

mmmm second rate, not second best.

Reply #328943 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dunno. But do know that sturt whopped southern by 24 points

Reply #328951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy the offseason Southern. Now the real teams can work it out.

Reply #329112 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Hey , Did you tell everyone on the way out how good you were. Good to see the Southern tradition of NOT winning finals continues on the weekend.

""""anon 737

you're probably some hanger on that sits on the bench aren't you!

will enjoy hearing the excuses when we beat you in the finals.

i am sure they will be coming think and fast.

like my gutter mouth will be telling you where to go on your way out the stadium"""

Reply #329232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my god people so much emphasis on the 14 boys have you got nothing better to do.I would like to say that yes sturt may have had 1 person away on camp 1 person that doesn't do much except ear bash the tigers and the other that got injured, but he wasn't really doing much in the third anyway (tiger boys shut him down)It was a fair win by the tigers. So why put tiger boys down? When they played against sturt again it was only a 2 point loss, I would call that pretty bloody good considering they were down a fair bit. How about you ease up and stop the southern trash talk every club have what you call feral parents but at the end of the day these are only kids. So let them have fun and enjoy and love the game and stop putting so much pressure on them!!!!! Had enough.

Reply #329864 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous above and you single out a couple of kids in the sturt team and you dont think thats feral talk!

Reply #329867 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Yes and you Southern clowns are the ones that start all the big talk. Shame you can't win a final.

Reply #329871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern won about 10 finals last weekend.

What are you on about.

Reply #329892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big choke by Sturt U18 boys!
Had Norwood on the ropes by 15 points early only to fold under pressure and go down by 5.
Great game by the Flames, hung in there and will meet West next week.

Reply #330053 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I know it's finals, but why (in the U18 Boys Div 1) did Norwood host Sturt at Pasadena?

Were Sturt "rubbed in the dirt"

Reply #330057 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You cant predict who will be in finals the venue was picked without any thought about who was or would have been playing

Reply #330060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha ha sturt under 18 girls got done as well

Reply #330062 | Report this post

callisto  
Years ago

And 16 girls I believe. Mesecke will need to pick up the recruiting to fix this mess.

Reply #330071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same thing happened last week jack

U18 boys southern home team against sturt, southern lost two home games all year so would and should have played final at home.
Under 18 girls tigers V Norwood tigers finish top play home final at Pasadena
Under 14 boys sturt v tigers, sturt finish top play at morphett vale

Surely with half the amount of games on a finals weekend they could organize it so teams got home court advantage in Div 1

Just a bit of time and effort required!!!!

Reply #330081 | Report this post

rabs70  
Years ago

It's a bit of a moot point given that Norwood won the 18s game anyway. In any case, surely you play Div 1 finals at the best stadiums - Pasadena and Wayville.

Reply #330083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morphett vale is the best stadium

Reply #330089 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

starplex

Reply #330092 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wayville goes to the dogs around finals time every year.

Reply #330102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO 'home' teams playing 'home' games in finals are one of those things that sound great, but in reality are quite impossible to organise and would not be the success it may seem.

Do we really want a situation where theres 1 or 2 games in a stadium for a whole night? Plus wouldn't that mean employing people to open more stadiums? Or hiring venues such as MARS and St. Clair?

My biggest issue is that it seems BSA work on a system of best and most central. With Wayville out that means Pasadena because BSA's number 1 venue which makes sense. But number 2 is Port Adelaide! Not at all central and the courts are some of the worst in the state. Condition poor, size incorrect, equipment always failing. What is it about Port Adelaide that raises it to snd priority?

Reply #330118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find M/V was the 2nd choice then Pt Ad then Hillcrest.

Reply #330122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What ever happened to the dome?
did somebody fill it in?
Surely U18 finals can be played there, and that is more central.

Reply #330146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It isn't a BSA stadium and paying to hire other venues when they have their own available doesn't make much sense.

Reply #330149 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"It isn't a BSA stadium and paying to hire other venues when they have their own available doesn't make much sense."

Try telling that to a team who are disadvantaged by playing a "home" game against another team

Reply #330161 | Report this post

peg22  
Years ago

Jack, would Norwood's 18 boys say they were disadvantaged by having to play Sturt at Pasadena? Given that Norwood won, I hardly think so.

Reply #330168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bet they would have rather played the game at Mars though, closer for fellow club members to come out and cheer them on

Reply #330188 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"closer for fellow club members" - I assume we are talking Norwood?

Reply #330189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another stadium they would have to pay to use the space. If money was no object sure have as many finals as possible at home venues. But that just isn't reality, you can't eat your cake and eat it too.
As for who's home game it is, if it's a Power home game and the Crows have an equal or larger crowd is it really a home game? It's not like Red turning off the air con in the old Boston Garden.

Reply #330211 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Last week centrals had to travel to MV (2 hrs drive at peek hour) to play sturt and only 4 out of the 8 lights were working on the court (very dark)and the clock was also not working properly. Like 3 other clocks at mv on the night. These clocks were also down 2 weeks before at sapsasa day.(still not fixed for finals) It was very poor conditions. They should have played at a closer stadium with light and a clock that worked.

Reply #330376 | Report this post

shoot2  
Years ago

for God's sake pay the damn money BSA and play junior finals at a neutral venue such as the Dome. Cough up the dough and show some equity and a level playing field to ALL teams within the competition. To play finals at either Pasadena or Wayville favours those home-court teams. How could any plausible argument be launched to the contrary. Oh thats right..your child could be playing at either of those two Clubs..then it makes perfect sense.

Reply #330383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the money made from canteens go to which clubs??

Reply #330387 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

Consider the Murray Bridge teams who dont have home games...... ever! Every match is 1 to 2 hours travel time and no home court advantage. They are just happy to play.

Reply #330884 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Are Murray Bridge 'soft' by not demanding any home games?

Reply #330897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have Murray Bridge teams??

Reply #330944 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think they are referring to the Eastern Magpies

Reply #330947 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

probably showing my age. MB used to have teams, got folded into Eastern Mavs apparently. But 'back in the day' we made the trip twice a week for U18 & div1 game & Forestville was our 'home court' so every game was away.

Reply #330976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754