Anonymous
Years ago

Has Holmes found a team yet?

Any news if jacob has found a team to play for either in NBL (unlikely) or in Europe??

Topic #26149 | Report this topic

hustle  
Years ago

All the NBL rosters are full now I think...

Reply #327700 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

he is on radio this very minute. He talked about looking for opportunities in Germany.

He was on the radio talking about a basketball charity camp on the 10th of september at pasadena stadium. This training camp probably deserves a thread of its own. Great cause - Shootin Hoops 4 Hope. Look it up on facebook!

Reply #327708 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO Jacob has been treated poorly by the 36ers. Historically he is one of the strongest rebounders and defenders in the NBL. Surely those stats and his results from the CABL would have seen him resigned by the 36ers even if it meant limited minutes. Again IMO he is a more solid defender than some of the players of his size etc on the roster and ALWAYS gives 110% to his club. I'm sure I will be howled down by some fans but let's wait and see who steps up defensively for the 36esr this season. Good luck in the future Jacob - there are a lot of fans out there who appreciated what you have given to the 36ers (even if the coaching staff and management cannot see that).

Reply #327795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe it is because what the coaches and management see that you dont

Reply #327801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mayb this mayb that, but i would have thought someone would have had a spot for him
is he the new luke kendall? Boomer to bust.

Reply #327803 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ANON12, how's that? Could you say the same about Dowdell who I thought played his role well? No job is forever. Have the offers come thick and fast from other clubs for Jake? I know he'd probably need a certain wage to cover moving him and his wife interstate, and I know of one other club who considered him, but it doesn't seem that other clubs have had a dying need to take him on. He's always been a tough call for me - does his bit (D, leadership, can stick to his role), but the results haven't been there for a while so I'm not surprised that they've erred on the side of trying something new.

Reply #327805 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

ANON12, unfortunately Basketball is a business more than it is about loyalty.

His NBL skillset is skewed towards defence. If he was rebounding 12-14 rebounds per game, we'd still have him for sure (and he'd be the target of every team in the league); however when you can fill the void with someone (or a group of people) who can cover for what he brought to the team, then he won't be selected.

I think in this case, an "improved" replacement has been found for Jacob, one that is more well rounded at the Pro level.

Reply #327809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think most of u guys are right
ben dowdell is in the same boat no contract & i would think he has more of an upside than holmes

Reply #327827 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Dowdell has a contract with Cairns Next season.

Holmes problem is he had no offensive game in the NBL. At ABL Level he can score easily (after taking millions of shots) but at NBL level he has some offensive mental issues. It is not possible to play 4 vs 5 on offense in the NBL. When Neil Mottram is more of a threat on offense then Holmes, you know he has problems.

He was not hard done by, by the Sixers. They gave him lots of opportunities. It is a business and we have gotten better players for this season.

Reply #327841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames I didn't see Ben Dowdell on Cairns roster.

And New Zealand Breakers are NBL Champs, they almost always played 4 on 5 in offence last season.

Reply #327849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeff Dowdell is on cairns roster, ben gave up the spot for his brother.

Reply #327852 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

cairns could be a good gig for jacob,he certainly fits coach fearnes style.
makes for a great defensive team but its points on the board cairns needs.
(plus he would need to take a pay cut)

Reply #327864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Holmes has offensive "mental" issues, more so physical. In recent years, I swear I've read that he's been specifically instructed to defer to others on offence and he usually has. That said, we have been in need of someone who can clean the boards as well as score and hopefully have that now in Williamson.

Reply #327890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Holmes was like 1-15 from the field in Sturt's elimination game.

Reply #327895 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dilion Boucher for NZ is similar in the fact that he is offensively limited and very defensively gifted. The difference is that Dilion also has a good (well reasonable) passing game and can put the ball on floor and go to the hole if the defense sags off him too far where Jacob tends to jack up a mid range jumper in the same situation that isn't as reliable as one would hope.

Reply #327954 | Report this post

Years ago

Boucher is a thug who can't shoot or do a layup... he'd be fouled out in the first quarter if refs called the game properly

Reply #328634 | Report this post

Jethro00  
Years ago

All i can say is there is a semi decent squad of unsigned players that if we had 1 more team could would help these guys not get forgotten.

Neville
Knight
Holmes
Tait
Vanderjadt
Kench
McDonald
Allen
Dickel
Ryan

Reply #328712 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You could put together a remotely competitive team from free agents:

Dickel 7/Kendall 5
Import 10/Jones 6
Import 10/Scoines 3
Holmes 6/Knight 6
Nevill 9/Vanderjagt 4
---
66 points

Enough spare points to upgrade Dickel to Markovic or whatever.

Reply #328722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754