Mystro
Years ago

Turkey Vs NZ

Tallblacks went down 70-64 to last years WC's runners up Turkey, their team included 3 NBA players which included Utah's #3 pick Enes Kanter who scored 14 points. The scores were locked at 62-62 with around 2mins remaining when Turkey apparently converted a 3point play, a basket and then a freethrow to take the win.
Penney top scored with 16 points.

Tallblacks need to close these tight games out. Great effort against a strong team tho.

Topic #26150 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

Oceania series should be great viewing.

Reply #327705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, it's gonna be a tough series for both teams

Reply #327715 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with you Mystro, NZ went 5-4 on their tour but could easily have been 8-1 if they had closed out the close games that they were in a position to win. I guess the question is have they learned from that for Oceania or are they a bit spooked in tight games now?

Reply #327950 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Penney was held to quite low numbers (by his standards) in all of those games. Great that they didn't get blown out but disappointing that they had a chance at a top scalp and let it slip. Closing tight games out is what separates an average team from a great one. The Tallblacks have played quite a few games together now and especially considering most of the team played together @ the Breakers, team chemistry must be whats keeping them in these tight games against top opposition.

Reply #327953 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Losing Pero Cameron is a big hole (literally and figuratively!) to fill in terms of poise though. In practice games Vucinic seems to have some nights where he runs a lot for Penney ala a meaningful game, but quite a few others where they practice their counters to that for most of the night.

They will have plenty up their sleeve, but I think the defensive ability of Abercrombie on Newley and Pledger on Maric and Ogilvy will go a long way to deciding their fate. If those two get in foul trouble it's good night nurse.

Reply #327957 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would also add that Turkey finished 2nd last year courtesy of their home court advantage, I would rate them as a team at the level of Croatia, Slovenia, Australia, Brazil, Serbia etc rather than one of the absolute powers of world basketball.

Reply #327958 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

WC's they also had the services of Hidayet Türko?lu. Turkey are currently ranked at 6th in the World compared to Australia at 9th and New Zealand at 18th.

Reply #327964 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree that they are not the USA, Argentina or Spain but still a very strong Basketball nation especially compared to NZ Paul.

Reply #327965 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed, like I said they are in the second tier for sure, and on individual talent and size well ahead of NZ. But the Tall Blacks keep being competitive with good teams like this so my expectations of them have gone up somewhat.

Not disputing that getting so close to Turkey in Turkey is a strong performance though.

Reply #327966 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I would rate them as a team at the level of Croatia, Slovenia, Australia, Brazil, Serbia etc rather than one of the absolute powers of world basketball. "

I think Turkey are on a tier above all these teams. Turkey is a very talented team; last years WC's was their first opportunity in a while to put in their best team. When they put in their best team, they are well and truly better than Australia, Brazil, Croatia etc. The reason why their ranking is 6 is because often in the past they have sent their B Teams to EuroBasket and FIBA sanctioned events.

There's no way Australia is on the level of Turkey. If you say that and your adamant that Turkey got as far as they did because of home court advantage, then that must mean Australia would perform similarly if the WC's were down-under. However, I can't see the Boomers coming second in a WC event anytime soon, even if they had home court advantage or not.

Reply #327991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No it doesnt Macdub, for starters Australia would never get close to the home court Turkey enjoyed. Check Turkey's long term results, they are good but not great.

They have a lot of middle of the road pros in their team.

Reply #328010 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754